Pond Boss
Posted By: g-digs Replacing an Outflow Pipe - 05/07/12 05:48 PM
I have a small pond in my backyard, with a tiny outflow pipe that is in the center of the dam. However, the pipe has taken some hits from big storms, and years of erosion have washed out the clay and soil around the pipe. I aim to fix the situation by digging out the pipe, setting it slightly deeper, and then burying it again, planting grass, and forming some type of aesthetic yet functional drain area where the pipe lets out.

My questions:

1) should i replace the pipe with a bigger pipe?
-it is about 9 inches in diameter.
2) should i put the pipe lower than where it was?
-this outflow pipe sat only about 6 inches below the ground
3) bentonite isnt neccesary for the pipe, is it?
-where should i buy it from?
4) on such a small pipe, is an antiseep collar a must have?
- can i make this, or where to buy it?
5) should i dig out the wedge shape to put this pipe in, with the larger side on the pondside? or is this pipe too small?
6) should the pipes get wrapped with anything? sealed together?
- currently there are two PVC 8 foot pipes that lock together.

The pond is about 500m^2 maybe?

The water level only gets to the pipe level during extreme rain events, and usually fills to a point about 1 foot below the pipe. During drought and dry periods, the pond sometimes loses a LOT of water, and stays only about 3 feet deep. But this is rare.

Pictures to follow.

also, totally new to PB, awesome site!

Description: Pond on left, drainpipe is hidden by grass
Attached picture damside.jpg

Description: drain from bottom of dam
Attached picture drainside2.jpg

Description: split in the pipe junction!
Attached picture split.jpg

Description: end of pipe
Attached picture washout.jpg

Description: looking down the dam
Attached picture down.jpg

Description: another shot of the drainside
Attached picture drainside.jpg

Description: this is rare- from hurricane Irene 2011
Attached picture flood2.jpg

Description: due to erosion, water went around and over pipe!
Attached picture flood1.jpg

Description: pond in winter, about the whole pond
Attached picture iced.jpg

Description: this is the pond at fairly low level. on the left is a 4 foot hole i dug that produced a slow well, and since then pond has stayed up (coincidence)
Attached picture low.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Replacing an Outflow Pipe - 05/07/12 06:32 PM
Pretty place! If you are going to be digging up the pipe, I would install a larger one - I'd go with 12" dia by looking at the pictures. The local NRCS office can tell you what sized watershed feeds your pond, and what sized pipe you need for a 100 year rain event. Your tax money at work, so why not try and get some use out of it? I would install the pipe deeper in the ground and install an anti-seep collar. Might as well do it right the first time instead of possibly having to go back and re-do it.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Replacing an Outflow Pipe - 05/08/12 10:53 AM
Ditto on what Esshup said. Can you build an overflow area to the side, over natural ground, to take care of a serious flood? Or, just eliminate the pipe idea and go with an overflow?
Posted By: g-digs Re: Replacing an Outflow Pipe - 05/08/12 09:23 PM
there is a slight dip to the left of the pipe, that isn't in the picture that acts as an emergency spillway, and it is higher than the pipe. The pipe gets used enough during rainy years that i would be hesitant to take it out, as the discharge can be pretty heavy at times.
© Pond Boss Forum