Pond Boss
Posted By: Theo Gallus AVATARS!?? - 08/17/07 03:46 PM
We now can puit images in our signature blocks. Could you do that before? Are these avatars?

All it takes is using the same code:

[img]photo_url.com[/img]

that is used to attach photos to posts.

How often will Condello change his?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/17/07 04:44 PM
Oh man I can see this getting out of hand!

I can't wait to see Brettski's avatar or signature photo or what ever it's gonna be called.
Posted By: ewest Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/17/07 07:22 PM
Hey I wonder if the new system will allow mods to change peoples' AVATARS ? Now that would be fun. \:D
Posted By: burgermeister Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/17/07 09:12 PM
call me old fashioned...or just old. BUT, I dontlike it. Too much glitter, not enough contrast. Too high teck for me.
Posted By: trialsguy Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/17/07 09:29 PM
I like it, a little medical look, but very easy functioning, now to see if I get a avatar to work
Posted By: Shorty Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/17/07 09:36 PM
Now if I can only find a cool avatar.
Posted By: Alligator Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/17/07 09:59 PM
Howdy men!
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/17/07 11:41 PM
Burgermeister, you are old fashioned.
Posted By: Dwight Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/18/07 02:55 AM
Theo - Can I add a short Wav file to my Badger if someone has the nerve to click on him?
Posted By: Dwight Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/18/07 03:01 AM
Theo - All of a sudden I went from member to Lunker! Is the new forum software still updating or do you become a Lunker by asking Theo Gallus a question? \:\/
Posted By: Brettski Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/18/07 10:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dwight
Theo - All of a sudden I went from member to Lunker! Is the new forum software still updating or do you become a Lunker by asking Theo Gallus a question? \:\/

...that ain't nothin'; wait 'til he answers!
Posted By: Brettski Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/18/07 10:38 AM
GW...
are those fish sticks or Zagnuts?
Posted By: Brettski Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/18/07 10:53 AM
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
call me old fashioned...or just old. BUT, I dontlike it. Too much glitter, not enough contrast. Too high teck for me.

...c'mon Burger! Remember how excited you were when they put Velcro closures on gym shoes?
Posted By: ewest Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/18/07 11:39 AM
B'ski you picked my favorite one for yours !! \:D
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/18/07 11:49 AM
Fish sticks.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/19/07 10:22 PM
Well, you can call me old, and you can call me fashioned,...but, you doesnt have to call me old fashioned.

Problem is, I cant log on at home on my win2k computer. Guess I'll have to go shopping for a real computer(none of those fancy schancy dual core thingamajigs, though. I also hate Vista. What shall I do? Guess I'll log on to the Miss. fish forum.

No, really folks, I cant use it at home. I'm sure DIED dont have a prayer of logging on. Get some of tha teckies to figure it out. I try to log on, and usually, it just sits there. I logged on a couple times, then when I click on a topic, it just sits there. It's a commodore 64(no not Lionel Richie). Why wont it work? No, really, its a Dell 86 series, that was in use at a law office, til a couple yrs. ago. It has 512K ram.
Posted By: george1 Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/19/07 11:19 PM
Burger, I don't think it's your computer - the new formum is sometimes s-l-o-w and I have VIOS 54.0 Mbps.
Seems like I'm on dial-up but it's worth the wait...
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 12:05 PM
If anyone is having slow speeds you can turn off signatures in posts so you don't have to wait to load the extra text and images. My Stuff > Preferences >

There also might be some extra traffic while everyone spends time getting to know the new format.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 02:44 PM
Man this site is running slow. As an experiment I turned off both avatars and signatures. Cleaned cache, ran Spy Bot and Adware and two different reg cleaners. I have both a fast computer and a very high speed cable internet connection. I know it's this site because I can log onto a news forum in a third of the time.

Hopefully the access times will improve.

This has got to be killing anyone on dial up.
Posted By: george1 Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 03:17 PM
Too much "stuff" on the new forum for me - I'm skipping topics now WOC (waiting on computer) - but I'm not biting the hand that feeds me....
\:\)
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 03:40 PM
well it is faster than the pondboss magazine mail service to el dorado (of which i finally received mine last week), but it is also slower than the old software. on the dial up it is only tolerable if one has something else to do while waiting.

no excuses, no complaints, i figure i just need to get that highspeed connection eventually, and get used to the new format. i understand (dont particularly enjoy it) when companies quit servicing particular versions of whatever the product, and things have to change. PB is just keepin up w/ the times......good job JP and Bob.
Posted By: LBuck Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 06:05 PM
This computer is dial-up, and it's no slower than before. (?)(?)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 06:28 PM
Dial-up is the bottleneck with that type of access.

If you're filling a glass through a 1/4" outlet funnel, it doesn't matter whether the water is coming from a pitcher or a firehose.
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 06:32 PM
I'm not getting a noticeable difference with my 1500 kpbs DSL connection.
Posted By: george1 Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 08:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: GW
If anyone is having slow speeds you can turn off signatures in posts so you don't have to wait to load the extra text and images. My Stuff > Preferences >

There also might be some extra traffic while everyone spends time getting to know the new format.

Thanks GW – turned off avatars and signatures – BIG improvement..

Posted By: Dwight Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 09:41 PM
GW - I shrunk my avatar size down to 2K from 22K by cropping, converting to grey scale, and using a higher compression rate. I could probably get down a lot furthur, as this was "quick & dirty". He is still a pretty nice looking Badger to my way of thinking!

Perhaps, since there are still quite a few dial-up subscribers out there it would be appropriate to limit the size of the avatar to 3K or less.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 10:09 PM
I'm at 10k. If there are any complaints, I'll switch to a less complicated imaginary species.
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 10:19 PM
Most forums I've posted on had limits on file sizes. You can turn off signatures but most people don't want to because it's another way to participate.

I, for one, would not want to go without seeing Theo's Red Neck Sunfish.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 10:21 PM
My avatar is a mere 1K. That makes me the best.
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 10:46 PM
Bruce, I wouldn't hang your avatar on the fridge if my niece gave it to me. \:o
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/20/07 11:16 PM
Should I make it smaller?
Posted By: Brettski Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/21/07 12:09 AM
no...try a larger refrigerator
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/21/07 12:22 AM
Here Bruce, I made a smaller copy for you. I think it's much better.

Posted By: new_water_ways Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/21/07 12:39 AM
I took mine off.
Posted By: Sunil Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/21/07 12:52 AM
I don't think these avatars are enhancing the experience much here at Pond Boss.

It just seems like you have to sort through more glitz to get to the real meat.

I'm going to give it a try without the avatars and see how that feels.

Anyway, the winds of change are always blowing. Adapt or slag off.
Posted By: Sunil Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/21/07 01:00 AM
Well, I suppose that no one was really using the true avatar, but instead putting the picture in the signature area. Disabling the avatar function did not seem to change anything on this thread.

I do prefer viewing without the pictures in the signature area, but by disabling the signature area, I loose the signatures which is sad because there are some funny sigs.
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/21/07 01:10 AM
In my experience avatars are usually in the area by the members user name and status, over yonder on the left. I prefer it that way with no images in the signatures. The avatars Im talking about are usually limited to no more than 150 pixels square.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/22/07 02:01 AM
yeepers
Posted By: burgermeister Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/22/07 03:10 AM
I was against Avatars, or whatever, til this last one. nyuk.

I'm still confused. The Meanisota baagers?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/22/07 12:29 PM
Due to bandwidth conservation considerations, avatars will be consolidated. Stay tuned for the Fatty McBadgerpants dance.
Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/22/07 10:29 PM
tick tock...

I can remove if I get enough REMOVE votes
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/22/07 11:07 PM
What? Your pants?

I vote leave the pants on.
Posted By: ewest Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 02:01 AM
How do you put the avatar over by the name rather than under the sig ?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 02:42 AM
JP did it on the old forum for me once, but I don't know who's done it on this new software yet. Would like to know, because if it has just a very few pixels it doesn't slow the site at all. I've been on three other forums that all had avatars and it's never a problem.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 12:17 PM
I don't think that options's available here. There's no true, separate "avatar" field in your profile.
Posted By: Shorty Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 01:07 PM
Would it possible to download avatars and store them on site? This could save bandwidth by not having them linked to off site places.
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 01:36 PM
I checked out some other UBB forums and many have avatars by the user's name.

THIS forum is one example, and it's also interesting to read.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 05:29 PM
Was jij er gisteren ook?!
Posted By: GW Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 06:10 PM
Uiteraard trapt de topicstarter af: dit weekend heb ik maarliefst 2 Coasterbingo's gescoord!
Posted By: Brettski Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 06:24 PM
Please...not another round of battle of the on-line translators.
Next thing, someone's gonna tell us how a Blue-footed Booby dropped fish eggs into his Euro-pond.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 06:42 PM
Senhor Brettski:
Uma garça deixou ovos de peixe no meu tanque europeu.
Posted By: Brettski Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 06:49 PM
Aaaarrrggghhh!
Heinye freiden kauffen en der fritzen blitzen!!!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/23/07 10:16 PM
"Wat het leven zo mooi maakt, gaat meestal badger veel te snel voorbij et Brettski..."

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/24/07 12:44 PM
That was "Dutch" Condello and the Beautiful Badgers Big Band, folks. They'll be back for the 11:00 show.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: AVATARS!?? - 08/24/07 05:57 PM
FUNNY
© Pond Boss Forum