Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Pond experience - 07/25/07 11:34 AM
I've been messing with ponds for about 25 years. At first, I knew exactly what I was doing. As I have gained experience and rub shoulders with you guys, I keep realizing the depth of my ignorance. In other words, the further I delve, the more I realize just how much I don't know and how deep and broad this stuff can get. And yet, for the average Pond Owner, it ain't rocket science.

I'm not quite as quick to give instant advice because I'm starting to understand all of the variables that could be involved. What works for me may not work for others. Cody says "It all depends" and I agree. Yep, I've certainly killed my share of fish.

As Doc Willis has often said "We just don't know". I resemble that remark.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond experience - 07/25/07 12:49 PM
I really enjoy learning all about ponds and fish. The more I realize how much I don't know, the more there is to enjoy!
Posted By: TOM G Re: Pond experience - 07/25/07 01:30 PM
Ponding is a very simple thing.
1)Dig a hole.
2)fill it with water.
3)add fish
see,simple.......oh
4)find PondBoss....spend large amounts of money correcting all your mistakes in steps 1,2and3 \:D \:D
Posted By: new_water_ways Re: Pond experience - 07/25/07 02:09 PM
LMAO \:D \:D

Absolutely!
Posted By: ewest Re: Pond experience - 07/25/07 05:31 PM
Dave I agree 100%. That is one reason I post to links for info. I think the more one reads and learns the better able they are to make decisions and the less likely one of our suggestions will cause harm. Many minds and input from those here has keep us from making mistakes. We all need to know more !!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Pond experience - 07/25/07 10:19 PM
Dave -- perfect timing. I just stopped today to check on two ponds while on my way back from a meeting. Ponds are more fun than meetings, if you catch my drift.

Pond 1 was great -- clear water, a few too many plants for the landowner but not the fish \:\) , and a good year's removal of 12 inch and smaller smallmouths by the owner. Happy family catching fish while we were there. Life was good.

Pond 2 -- I just brought my spinning rod to do a quick check on LMB and BLG/YEP stocked back in 2005. Couldn't catch any. What was wrong? I DON'T KNOW. Couldn't possibly be my angling skills, right?? Now I need more information so need to find some way to get back there with the electrofishing boat. Can't manage if I don't know what is happening!
Posted By: heybud Re: Pond experience - 07/25/07 11:05 PM
Dave, good probing question. I think some time the potential to screw up a pond is as great as the potential to manage it correctly. One wrong move can take a long time to correct.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Pond experience - 07/25/07 11:27 PM
yer obviously a humble man DD1.

my dad always said you're not smart until you know what you don't know......i heard this alot as a young boy, a teenager, in my 20's, in my 30's...etc.. \:D

i've actually always tried to live by that...its natural in the geological sciences to not have a clue what is going on (did i just say that out loud?), but to take the challenge to study, research, and find out. i'd say its pretty much like ponding.

from over on the "how old are u" thread, i added up just a few of the ages of pondmeisters and quickly got to over 500 years. so this got me thinking

active members on forum = ? what 250?
say average age of 45? (with BCM, Chris, and George tugging at each end of that average \:\) , that comes to somewheres in the neighborhood of 10,000 years of pond experience (give or take some years since we all didnt start pondmeisting in diapers, except for mr. lusk :rolleyes: ).

i'd say this forum is on its way to being pretty darn smart ;\)
Posted By: Brettski Re: Pond experience - 07/26/07 01:39 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by dave in el dorado ca:
...i'd say this forum is on its way to being pretty darn smart ;\)
yepper, D.I.E.D. Ya soitenly gotta believe in our Pond Boss mentors .
© Pond Boss Forum