Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Texas Tornado this past Sunday night - 10/22/19 08:09 PM
I guess some of us got lucky this past Sunday with the tornado. Our house, weekend property, and office dodged a bullet with damage near-by to all of them. Below is a picture of one of our favorite restaurants 8 mins from our office...Fish City Grill...that was destroyed by the tornado.

Posted By: RStringer Re: Texas Tornado this past Sunday night - 10/22/19 08:49 PM
Those suckers are nasty. We had one 20 years ago come thru town. It destroyed lots of homes. There was a lot of people without homes. Which made it good for the slumlords around town to skyrocket the rent around. I believe renting a house 3br 1 bath went from 350 to 700 almost over night. Lots of businesses' came back stringer than ever. We also had no loss of lives which was amazing. Good luck on any rebuilds you will have.
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Tornado this past Sunday night - 10/22/19 09:01 PM
Thanks RStringer...I think we will just have some downed trees at the property. It's amazing no deaths were recorded here either. Our biggest customer 2 miles away from us just got power back today at 3PM. It has me thinking about how we might better deal with this kind of disaster if our power was out for a few days. We are open 24/7 365 days a yeat so we can't ever be "closed". I need to think more about an emergency command center plan at my house as an alternative location so we could "limp" along a few days. Always something to learn from these events.
Hope y’all will recover real quick. Those things are real nasty
Posted By: RStringer Re: Texas Tornado this past Sunday night - 10/22/19 11:25 PM
The only business I know of around here that's open 24-7-365 is the doughnut shop. That's alot of hours to cover (8760).
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Texas Tornado this past Sunday night - 10/23/19 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: Zep
…...It has me thinking about how we might better deal with this kind of disaster if our power was out for a few days. We are open 24/7 365 days a yeat so we can't ever be "closed". I need to think more about an emergency command center plan at my house as an alternative location so we could "limp" along a few days. Always something to learn from these events.

We have a 20KW natural gas fueled backup generator here at home. Kicks in after 20 seconds of no power. Would something like that be an option for you as a backup?
Posted By: anthropic Re: Texas Tornado this past Sunday night - 10/23/19 02:28 AM
Small tornado hit us in Louisiana as well. Had to cut down a tree it split in half, plus we need a new roof due to hail. Neighbors got hit as well, including one where tree fell thru house. Nobody hurt, so far as I know.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Texas Tornado this past Sunday night - 10/23/19 05:12 AM
Hey guys glad to hear you're all ok - agreed, this makes one think about being energy independent, or at least having some fail safe plans in place.
Alan Hall, Fire is Hot here, had a tree come down on his roof. Lots of damage.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Texas Tornado this past Sunday night - 10/23/19 01:49 PM
Tornadoes can happen year around if the conditions are correct.
Posted By: Zep Re: Texas Tornado this past Sunday night - 10/23/19 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
We have a 20KW natural gas fueled backup generator here at home. Kicks in after 20 seconds of no power. Would something like that be an option for you as a backup?

Sounds like you have a good plan Bill. Love the generator set-up you have. The weekend property is our hideaway from the big city in case of widespread power-outages, storm damage, or civil unrest and your plan would seem to be perfect for that...plenty of hogs/fish to eat, plenty of wood to burn, and have some good solar lights.

In Dallas as far as our office...potential scenarios to prep for are: storms, chemical spills along the freeway in front of our office, and terrorism. Also in Dallas besides just power for lights and computers, phones, we pretty much must be able to have air conditioning June thru September. Our 3 tower office complex management frowns on gas generators and natural gas would be a no-no too.

So besides just prepping for alternate power sources at our office we must also think about having to move our operation off-site which involves computers/servers, phones, desks, etc...not exactly easy or cheap to throw together.

Of course the doomsday scenario has never happened and I have been in this business 40 years! (1979-2019)

I sware I'm not really that old....lol.

Posted By: ewest Re: Texas Tornado this past Sunday night - 10/23/19 05:00 PM
Hope all are safe and recovering from any damage.
© Pond Boss Forum