Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 HOT! - 07/17/18 03:20 AM
Next 7days has 103 as the coolest
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: HOT! - 07/17/18 04:39 AM
Nice Dave! We ain’t even in August yet
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/17/18 09:41 AM
Add to, the Saharan dust in the air.
Posted By: DannyMac Re: HOT! - 07/17/18 12:19 PM
Frustrating...I'm logged in, try to post a rather long run of the day narrative...and told I'm not logged in.
Posted By: Vortex 4 Re: HOT! - 07/17/18 06:46 PM
My evaporation has really jumped in the last few days. Hot and dry.

Need a minor tropical storm.
Posted By: anthropic Re: HOT! - 07/17/18 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Add to, the Saharan dust in the air.

If so, good news for the fish in the Atlantic Ocean. Dust fertilizes.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: HOT! - 07/17/18 09:34 PM
Big pond's dropping like a rock, and now I'm usually in by noon. Summer's here.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: HOT! - 07/17/18 09:46 PM
Hot and dry here too. One pond is down 31 inches, the other about 16 inches.
Posted By: Zep Re: HOT! - 07/17/18 09:51 PM
It's crazy guys!

Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: HOT! - 07/17/18 10:00 PM
Out welding on my pier today...... nice
Posted By: CMM Re: HOT! - 07/17/18 11:48 PM
Hoping the AC gets fixed before the temps heat up again. I'm not in Texas, but it's hot enough! I feel for you poor suckers.
Posted By: Shorty Re: HOT! - 07/18/18 02:26 AM
Cool and rainy here today with high of 74 degrees. The surface temp at the pond has dropped to 82 degrees, a few nights ago it was sitting at 90 degrees.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: HOT! - 07/18/18 10:34 AM
This weeks projected highs of 107 is the highest I can remember it ever being here in Shreveport and at the E. Texas farm. ZEP, crazy is right on.
Posted By: Flame Re: HOT! - 07/18/18 12:59 PM
Tracy, It's 66 here. Wait, I had the thermometer upside down!! Must be the heat. I better get in the shade.
Posted By: jludwig Re: HOT! - 07/18/18 02:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Flame
Tracy, It's 66 here. Wait, I had the thermometer upside down!! Must be the heat. I better get in the shade.

That's how it was for us yesterday. A rain cooled 75 until the sun came out then it got to 94 with a heat index of 105.
Posted By: Dinsmoreoutdoors Re: HOT! - 07/18/18 03:35 PM
FL checking in! temp in the high 90`s and the humidy just as high! we have been getting shower every other day in the after noon to help keep the pond levels up thank goodness
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: HOT! - 07/18/18 09:54 PM
It is suppose to get in the upper 40's here tonight. Yanked the AC out of the windows!

You can laugh at me come February and March when I am stuck in the slop.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: HOT! - 07/18/18 10:17 PM
I'm watching my pond close. Surface temp had dropped to the mid 80s with the recent rain and cloud cover, but the weather's been in the mid-upper 90s and the rain chances are nill for at least another week. Boat is sitting ready in case I need to stir some water.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/18/18 10:59 PM
D/FW will be setting records the rest of the week. Average of 106.
Posted By: RAH Re: HOT! - 07/19/18 10:47 AM
That is dangerous hot! Be careful!
Posted By: Zep Re: HOT! - 07/19/18 01:37 PM
it's so hot i am thinking about putting this sign up:

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/19/18 02:17 PM
107 to 108 today.
Posted By: anthropic Re: HOT! - 07/19/18 10:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep

Well, Jesus' first recorded miracle wasn't turning wine into water...
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: HOT! - 07/19/18 11:19 PM
Ice fishing is just around the corner guys! Yeah, I don't believe it either.

Attached picture IMG_0307 copy.jpg
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: HOT! - 07/19/18 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep

What time does the bar open!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: HOT! - 07/20/18 12:06 AM
I just got back from shooting surface temps. Big pond was at 94.1, and the little hatchery pond was 92.9.

Water adjacent to the docks was at least 2-3 degrees cooler. Temps shot through gaps in primrose and other plants was the same 2-3 degrees cooler.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/20/18 10:51 AM
Good chance that I will lose everything in my smaller pond. It’s about 1/4 acre and as of a week ago, was about 2 to 3 ft low. Probably around 4 ft deep in the middle due to the lack of rains. No chance of rain in the near future. It’s happened once before; about 20 years ago. My spring fed creek is now totally dry. If it does go, I’ll get my tractor and clean it out. Someday it will rain and I’ll restock.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: HOT! - 07/20/18 01:39 PM
May break 110 this weekend!!!! Ugh
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: HOT! - 07/20/18 04:25 PM
That is awful, on so many levels.

Up here there would be a lot of deaths as many of us don't have an easy way to escape the heat. Many older folks don't even have window air conditioning. When the water is 95 in the ponds, you cannot even jump in to cool off!

I cannot imagine if the power were to go out at the same time for you guys. I pray that there are no grid troubles during this time.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: HOT! - 07/20/18 04:29 PM
Got the generator ready in case of brown out
Was out welding on a gate and it was 102, that was warmish, 110 that’s hot!
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: HOT! - 07/20/18 06:02 PM
Heading up to the panhandle today from DFW. Going through Vernon which was 109 yesterday and will the same today. Making sure I pack an ice chest so that if I breakdown I’ll be prepared.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/21/18 11:44 AM
The City of Dallas is again giving away fans to people who don't have/can't afford AC.

I want to go see my place but can't think of any reason to go there(70 miles away). By 10 or 11 I would be stuck inside watching TV or using my IPAD. Not worth it.

In 3 or 4 days, it will drop into the upper 90's for a couple of days. I guess I'll go then and take a look.
Posted By: anthropic Re: HOT! - 07/21/18 11:34 PM
The City of Dallas is again giving away fans to people who don't have/can't afford AC.

I want to go see my place but can't think of any reason to go there(70 miles away). By 10 or 11 I would be stuck inside watching TV or using my IPAD. Not worth it.

In 3 or 4 days, it will drop into the upper 90's for a couple of days. I guess I'll go then and take a look.

Very similar situation to mine, Dave. We live 65 miles from BOW, though are getting a trailer moved on site soon.
Posted By: kswaterfowler Re: HOT! - 07/22/18 04:55 PM
I fear my pond may go dry with high temps wind and no rainfall to be had.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: HOT! - 07/23/18 12:35 AM
Surface water temp was 96.9 this afternoon. It's getting a tad warm.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: HOT! - 07/24/18 08:03 PM
I hope no Fried fish show up at my place any time soon! That's hot Al!
Posted By: Flame Re: HOT! - 07/24/18 08:37 PM
Yesterday surface temp at 4pm was 95. Air was 101 heat index hit 118. You can almost see the water dropping in the pond.Over 2 foot low now. Record low a couple years ago was a little over 3 foot down. Going to be a tough August!!! Unless we get a tropical storm!! Wood duck sitting in the pond and not feeding or moving much. I believe she was just trying to stay cool.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: HOT! - 07/24/18 10:45 PM
Tracy, I would have never thought we'd have a complete ice over and water temps that high in the same year.

If we keep dropping, I may be looking at an electroshocking this fall. Having pinched water may be the perfect time to get as many unwanted LMB out of the pond as possible.
Posted By: anthropic Re: HOT! - 07/25/18 05:51 AM
Surface temp at 8pm, near dusk, was 85. But that was close to the dock in an area that gets afternoon shade. Still, encouraging. Fish continue eating feed pretty well, though not quite as vigorous as six weeks ago.

Down two feet from full pool, lowest I've seen. Still getting some flow from small creek.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/25/18 10:05 AM
Just realized. I haven't seen a mosquito, tick or chigger.
Posted By: RAH Re: HOT! - 07/25/18 12:32 PM
Dave - If you are missing those critters, you can come visit my place. We have deer flies too:)
Posted By: TGW1 Re: HOT! - 07/25/18 01:30 PM
Dave the ticks were bad just a couple of weeks ago. Not sure why no ticks on me lately other than I been trying to stay out of the stuff around the pond that support a tick population. I always herd if you have deer then you will have ticks. And fire is the only way to get rid of them.

Al, I spoke to Walt @ Overton's awhile back when he delivered some Northern lmb. We fin clipped the Northern's and I told him I planned on a e shock this fall. I am considering Oct. This is the first year of an lmb spawn and so I want to see what they are in Oct along with some recommendations on whether to remove some of these newbies or let them be this year. I have had three stockings of Florida's, 1 batch of Camelot Bells, 1 batch of Texas Lonestar Legacy's and 1 batch of Florida's from Tyler Fish farms where Todd got them for me. I need to know whether to remove some of the males and or poor performing lmb. Have you ever had an e shock in the fall? I would suspect the fish might be a little lower on the Wr than they would be in a spring shock. all my spring shocks have shown the lmb to be in the 120's + or -.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: HOT! - 07/25/18 10:56 PM
We used to be loaded with ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, etc. about 15 years ago we had a 4 year drought that got rid of everything but grass burs. Then the fire ants arrived. We used we used to be loaded with rattlesnakes. I never considered them a problem and didn’t bother them. The the pigs arrived and I’ve run out of snakes of all kind. I liked the snakes better. An interesting thing is that, for the first time in the 30+ years that I’ve owned the place, I’m seeing jack rabbits.
Posted By: kswaterfowler Re: HOT! - 07/26/18 12:08 AM
Fire wont get rid of ticks. I burn yearly and havent noticed a difference between me andthe neighbor who doesnt burn.
Posted By: RAH Re: HOT! - 07/26/18 12:50 AM
Ticks are not fire proof. If they are exposed to fire, they die. if the local tick population is not exposed to the burns then they do not die.

https://www.qdma.com/burning-questions-can-fire-reduce-tick-abundance/
Posted By: snrub Re: HOT! - 07/26/18 02:36 AM
We used to be loaded with ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, etc. about 15 years ago we had a 4 year drought that got rid of everything but grass burs. Then the fire ants arrived. We used we used to be loaded with rattlesnakes. I never considered them a problem and didn’t bother them. The the pigs arrived and I’ve run out of snakes of all kind. I liked the snakes better. An interesting thing is that, for the first time in the 30+ years that I’ve owned the place, I’m seeing jack rabbits.

Like Roseanne Rosana Danna (Gilda Radner, Saturday Night Live fame) was fond of saying, "It's always something".
© Pond Boss Forum