Pond Boss
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Good rain - 05/03/18 09:01 PM
I received almost four inches since late last night here in S. Elkins, Arkansas.
The ponds are over the spillways, even the leaker.

I found that I have LMB recruitment. I caught a couple of 3" LMB trying to sneak over the older (leaker) pond spillway into the new pond, which had no LMB. I guess several made it over into the new pond without me seeing.
I also found a couple of live 5 to 6" BG out in the field from the new pond...put back in.

Going back out with a net while the spillways are still running over. No pipe, just grassy spillways; these are 1/4 acre ponds.
Posted By: Flame Re: Good rain - 05/03/18 09:22 PM
John I have had to do that several times with all the rain we have had here in deep east Texas. Also we are heading to Hot Springs Saturday morning. Hope all the rain will be gone!!
Posted By: peachgrower Re: Good rain - 05/03/18 11:05 PM
Flame, supposed to be pretty up here this weekend. We have regional trap shooting competition in Jacksonville this weekend. Hope for pretty weather and little wind! grin We are still getting a nice rain...been very hard at times...now just a nice slow "nap" type rain.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Good rain - 05/03/18 11:14 PM
Rain stopped here at about 3:05 PM, then skies slowly cleared. Sunny now.
The U.S.A.C.E. will probably open the floodgates on Beaver Reservoir by tomorrow morning.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Good rain - 05/04/18 02:22 AM
Great to hear your getting rain John.I got a little up here,just over a 1", over about 10 hours so I didn't get much out of it.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Good rain - 05/04/18 02:31 AM
Nary a drop down our way......
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Good rain - 05/04/18 02:40 PM
I got another 0.24" in a quick storm early this morning, bringing my two day total to 4.02". Too much too fast. I wish it would have come over about four or five days instead of two. The way our rains have come this year has been a month's normal in two to three days and then no rain for the rest of the month.

That pattern tends to cause wild fluctuations in water levels. I guess that can be a good thing, because vegetation gets established, with embedded small insects, then that gets inundated, and small fish feast on the insects and earthworms that are drowned.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Good rain - 05/04/18 10:13 PM
We received .7” up at the pond. That’s the first since the end of March, when we got 2”. I mowed on Wednesday up there, the dust was unbearable. It looked like late September.
John, I’m glad you’re getting some rain. Northeast MO, still dry..
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Good rain - 05/04/18 11:17 PM
SetterGuy,
Here's your Missouri drought monitor. It doesn't look accurate, given the small amounts of rain you and Bobbss have received.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?MO

BTW, about 24 hours before our rain started, the forecast was for about 0.7 inches of rain. We received 4.02 inches. Don't count on the forecast for precipitation.
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Good rain - 05/05/18 01:10 PM
Originally Posted By: John Fitzgerald
SetterGuy,
Here's your Missouri drought monitor. It doesn't look accurate, given the small amounts of rain you and Bobbss have received.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?MO

BTW, about 24 hours before our rain started, the forecast was for about 0.7 inches of rain. We received 4.02 inches. Don't count on the forecast for precipitation.

Amazing how inaccurate it is. I use climate.com to get rainfall results after a rain event. It’s been fairly accurate through the last few years. I’ll be up at the farm later today, and compare the rain gauge vs climate.com..

Climate says we’ve had 10.6” YTD at the farm, 16.2” here near St Louis. We had a lot of .5” easy rains early in the year. Then that one big one (with runoff) in late March.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Good rain - 05/05/18 01:32 PM
I work just north of down town St. Louis and seem to be getting more rain there than I do 20-30 miles south of it, at home. It's been a disappointing spring so far.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Good rain - 05/05/18 06:38 PM
According to a neighbors weather station, I got better than 5 inches in 2 days.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Good rain - 05/05/18 08:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
According to a neighbors weather station, I got better than 5 inches in 2 days.

Was that 5"+ enough to overtop your pond(s)?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Good rain - 05/06/18 01:26 AM
John, I haven't made it there to see. If I can get a break from the rent house, I'm going this week. However, I'm pretty sure it did. The rains came with a lot of intensity in a relatively short time. If I can get a break this week, I'm dang sure going.
© Pond Boss Forum