Pond Boss
Posted By: snrub Cutting out a Pike eating a Bass frozen in ice - 02/01/17 11:42 PM
Pike eating bass in ice

another site with info

This is wild!
I'm not so sure the pair of fish were frozen at the moment of attack as described by the news media. I suspect the pike choked to death, then floated, then froze. That makes a whole lot more sense of how natural fishy things happen.
awesome

I guess pike like to eat LMB
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I'm not so sure the pair of fish were frozen at the moment of attack as described by the news media. I suspect the pike choked to death, then floated, then froze. That makes a whole lot more sense of how natural fishy things happen.

My first thought as well but still a cool pic!

My thoughts exactly. I once dip netted a dying LM bass about 12" long with about a 10" CC sticking out of its mouth. I couldn't free the CC, so the bass died.
I saw this few days ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gifs/comments/5qvbge/frozen_pike_eating_a_bass/

"seafood's answer to the turduckin" laugh

I think in the second link they come up with that same conclusion.

Pretty neat find at any rate.

I remember my mom talking when I was just a small kid about goldfish she kept in our concrete cattle trough. Some got really large so they got transferred to the pond (what is now my old refurbished pond). They kind of forgot about them till one winter when my dad was chopping a hole in the ice for the cattle to drink and dad found a big carp size goldfish frozen in the pond ice.
Could also be that the LMB died and floated up and the pike then tried to eat it near the surface choked and froze near the surface. If they were both alive at the time of freezing then the energy they had would have broken loose from the forming ice. I don't think the ice froze over just as the pike ate a live dinner.
Brutal!!!
Pike do eat a lot of bass if bass are present. Bass have a relatively slender body that when bass are smaller are basically the same slender shape as a yellow perch. Pike love to eat perch. It is easier for a pike to eat a bass compared to it eating a BG. When you are competing constantly with other hungry predators, it is very advantageous for you swallow your meal as quickly as possible so a cohort does not seal it away from you which commonly happens with greedy competition.
Used to have that problem all the time in the high school lunch room. Sat with the rest of the Vo-Ag class and if you took your eye off your chocolate cake for a second it was gone. Had a class mate that could swallow the piece whole before you knew it was gone. We got in the habit of eating our cake first.

Who would have thought I would learn about fish behavior in a high school lunch room. grin

Cody Note: GREAT and relative observation!
Originally Posted By: snrub
Used to have that problem all the time in the high school lunch room. Sat with the rest of the Vo-Ag class and if you took your eye off your chocolate cake for a second it was gone. Had a class mate that could swallow the piece whole before you knew it was gone. We got in the habit of eating our cake first.

Who would have thought I would learn about fish behavior in a high school lunch room. grin

Cody Note: GREAT and relative observation!

laugh Funny stuff!
© Pond Boss Forum