Pond Boss
Posted By: Snakebite Grass Carp in Great Lakes - 01/28/17 02:03 PM
This morning taking in tv news I see at the bottom ticker "Grass Carp invasion." It stated grass carps have made their way into the 3 Great Lakes. Measures being taken to stop the invasive species. This is the first time I've heard of this. Are they mixing up Grass Carp for Asian Carps? B
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Grass Carp in Great Lakes - 01/28/17 02:25 PM
Looks like it is grass carp. My understanding is that the fish being captured are predominately sterile (triploid?) which I'm guessing means they originated in a hatchery somewhere. Currently, triploid grass carp are legal for stocking in Illinois with a permit. I would not be surprised to see them put on the prohibited species list now along with already prohibited tilapia.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-grass-carp-great-lakes-20170127-story.html
Posted By: Gavinswildlife Re: Grass Carp in Great Lakes - 01/28/17 03:30 PM
I read that diploids are showing up more and more in Erie the last few years. Here in ohio, they're quite common in erie tributaries. Grass carp are considered one of the four asian carp. These are grass/white amur, snail/black amur, bigead and silver. I'm not sure why koi/common carp are excluded.
© Pond Boss Forum