Pond Boss
Posted By: Fatih Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 04:14 PM
Hey guys,

Seems like i am not getting my pond property very soon. So , i am planning to buy a boat with a cabin, which is about 2500 lbs with an engine and other stuff(trailer not included).

This perhaps:

My question is i will use this boat like you use bass boats. So i will tow it to another place all the time.

I know lots of people here tow boats. I wonder how such a boat would affect my gas mileage? Let's say i have 20 MPG right now.

I know there are lots of variables but just make a guess. I am not after getting a very precise number. I just wanna make sure i won't pay more than twice for gas.

Edit : I use 2000 cc engine, 4 cylinder, 4 WD Pickup Truck. Diesel.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 04:41 PM
I can't really speak for all, as I've mostly had small trucks for many years.

Several weeks ago dragged a trailer of about 2500 lbs., gross weight, a little more than 500 miles. My 4WD 4-cylinder Toyata Tacoma's usual highway milage dropped from about 22-24 mpg. A few weeks before that we used my buddies 4WD 6-cylinder truck to drag about a 3500-4000 gross weight trailer on that same route. His normal 18-21 highway mileage dropped to about 8-9 gallons on the same 500 mile trip.

My guess is that if you had a bigger truck than the ones I mentioned above, especially with a diesel, I'm not sure you would see such a dramatic drop.

Ken
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 05:03 PM
Fatih - Obviously, there are lots of variables, but I only lose a few MPG when I tow our boat.

If you are towing on flat ground at highway speeds, then wind resistance is your enemy. I live in Kansas (flat land) so when I tow at 55 MPH I get pretty good gas mileage. If I hurry to the lake at 73 MPH, then I really pay a price. The wind resistance will go up with the square of your velocity.

If you are towing in hilly terrain, then gravity is your enemy. I don't know your route in Turkey, but if you are towing in hill country with lots of traffic (and frequently have to get on your brakes), then I would say it is theoretically possible to cut your gas mileage in half.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: 4CornersPuddle Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 05:15 PM
When I tow my small farm tractor and trailer-approx. 3500 pounds- with my older Toyota Tundra, 4.3 l V 8, my mileage drops from 19 to 14 and can go lower if I climb the passes here on Colorado highways.
Many many years ago I would pull a 3500 pound travel trailer up into the logging woods with my 2400 cc Toyota 4x4 pickup. Mileage would drop from 22 to 9 and top speed was scarcely 50 mph on the flat. These results are from trips far above sea level: 5000 to 8000 feet elevation.
I have no experience with that Toyota diesel you have, but I can imagine your acceleration and cruising speed would drop dramatically as well as your mileage. Braking and avoiding uncourteous other drivers also becomes problematic with so little power. Of course, all drivers in Turkey are fully aware, mindful, considerate, and will give you plenty of room on the road, right??? Just like here in the states. Ha!
Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 06:00 PM
Fatih:

What truck do you have again? It's not only the engine size, but the gear ratio in the axles, etc.

Does your truck have a towing package? That usually includes a larger radiator, transmission cooler, etc.

Will the boat trailer have brakes? I MUCH prefer electric brakes over hydraulic (surge) brakes on a trailer.

Like others have said, flat ground you have to worry about wind resistance if the boat is larger than the tow vehicle (profile going down the road from the front).

In hilly country, you have to worry about the transmission and engine heating up from going uphill, and the brakes heating up from going downhill.

If the truck weighs 6,000 pounds and the boat, motor and trailer weigh 3,000 pounds you have increased your stopping distance by 50%. Typically that's what you have to worry about the most. You usually don't have to get up and going fast, but things happen when you have to stop fast.....
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 09:22 PM
Fatih,

Just to add to what the others have said, my first stop would be the owner's manual to see what the towing capacity is for the vehicle. In addition to engine and drive train concerns, I would make sure other things like suspension design, hitch type and class, tire capacity, etc., that are often optional equipment, that your vehicle may or may not have, are capable of the load.

With respect to fuel mileage, I would expect a big drop as you will be working that little 2.0L 4 cylinder very hard, diesel helps.

Just adding my 2 cents
Posted By: basslover Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 09:38 PM
As mentioned, check to make certain your vehicle can handle the load, Fatih. Halving gas mileage means less when you blow the transmission because your vehicle doesn't have a tranny cooler or a deep tranny pan capable of holding more fluid, etc.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 09:49 PM
If you can afford a boat like that...F the mileage!!!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 11:01 PM
To be honest, if it was me and I was planning on moving the boat very often or very far, I would either buy a smaller boat or a bigger truck.

Edit: My little 2011 4WD Ford Ranger is a 4.0L 6 cylinder, is equipped to the max and supposedly will tow 5800 pounds. No way I would want to tow that boat though more than on a very rare occasion.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 11:42 PM
That boat is too big for a small truck. It might not even pull it up the ramp. Small vehicles and relatively large boats have resulted in many bad situations. I would want a diesel F250 or F350 size truck to pull that.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/20/15 11:46 PM
I second the notion that you need a larger tow vehicle. There's a big difference between "it will do it once in awhile, but just barely", and a vehicle where you hook it up and go without a concern.

I favor a situation whereby a mechanical device is not operating at it's absolute extreme limits.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/21/15 11:43 AM
Fatih, another consideration will be safely stopping. When you hit the brakes that heavy boat will push your little pickup a long way.

I have a full sized Toyota Tundra and occasionally put my tractor on a trailer to take to a dealer 40 miles away. The 16 mpg goes to 8 and I don't go over 45 to maybe 50 mph. Even with the weight of my larger pickup I have trouble stopping. My 20 ft. Ranger bass boat has the same issues.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/21/15 12:39 PM
Fatih, IMO, everybody's advice is right on target. My first thoughts were the transmission and brakes when I saw the size of the boat. If you haven't already, the first time you pull the boat up the ramp will give you a fair idea of the power needed to pull the boat. Uphill from a standing start may be the toughest part of this whole deal.

On another note. Please tell us about the boat. Very nice rig and since it has one of the new Evinrude G2's on it (or maybe a pair of them), I'm assuming it's new. Sonar, GPS, weather stations, tell us all about it.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/21/15 06:18 PM
Ken, fishingrod, 4cornerspuddle, Scott, Bill, basslover, Bob, John, Spark , Dave and Allen.

Thanks guys.

There is a lot to answers.

- In spefications, my car can tow 1800 lbs(trailer) or 6500 lbs(trailer with brakes).
- Paying twice for gas is all right. Hopefully it is not gonna be more than this.
- At first , when Scott said "you will have brake problems" i didn't give much shit. He always loves to tell me negative stuff. laugh But i read that online too. Seems like this really is a problem. I gotta check how much those trailers with brakes will cost. Hopefully not very expensive.
- I started to consider a boat that is 750 lbs lighter. That might help.
- The reason i can't get a larger car is because the annual tax will double if i get 2.1 engine instead of 2.0. If i get 3.5 engine , the tax will be 4 time larger. Do you know how i already pay for 2.0? 1000 bucks annually. It is sick... It is funny that people already call me stupid when they hear i got a 2.0 engine car. Everybody has little cars here.

- No guys. It is not like you think. That boat is not 50 grand worth. With and engine that sort of a boat will cost me something like 25 grand. So , i am not really rich.

- Allen, using such a big boat in freshwater is something unheard in my region. Even rich people use stupid little boats here. Like this. Funny huh?

No man. I can't spend anything for luxury stuff. Boat is expensive enough for me right now smile . I will get a fish finder for sure though.

I haven't decided on the model of the boat but it will have a 50 HP Mercury of Yamaha on it. Everyone gets a Yamaha if they can afford it.

There is a great deal for this boat, if i pay tomorrow. Despite its ugly look, this boat has a very good reputation here. Very durable for bad weather conditions. It is little too big though. 20 ft.

http://www.rotaboat.com/gal_cat-fisher-660-7.htm?sessionid=6ddfc90bfa9126657aa60e53bba4a7cb

Posted By: Bob-O Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 02:04 AM
Fatih, anytime a deal must be done right away, something is usually not good. Pressure to buy right now is a common way to get folks to make a bad decision. You do not need a boat tomorrow so check the same boat from several sources.
As far as that funny little boat, it looks like a fine boat for two guys to fish from. Some folks think they need a palace for a few folks, I've always liked to keep it simple and realistic.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 02:13 AM
That looks like a good enough boat. You should see mine; you would laugh, but it gets the job done.
Posted By: JKB Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 03:56 AM
Fatih, you and the boys were up here in Grand Haven. 104 (Savidge St.) goes west and up around to the drawbridge.

There is a marina before you hit Old Boy's going west.

All summer long there was this stunning Boston Whaler out front. The temptation was great, but had to turn away.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 04:19 AM
Oh heck, I might as well add my 2 cents, and after being on this forum for 3 1/2 years and hearing things I didn't want to hear (reason), you may not like some of this either, Fatih. Sorry frown .

But we've all been in the same boat (pun intended), having our heart set on buying something and having others telling us things we really need to hear, but don't want to.

For starters, gas mileage on the towing vehicle will be the least of your worries. If gas prices are high, wait until you fill the boat, over and over again. Even if they're not and you have a boat unlike any others around, you'll have "friends" wanting to go fishing and boating, but not pitching in. And How much will it cost to fill the boat and truck? Is this a cost each time you take it out?

You've already read about the vehicle issues with brakes, transmission, excessive wear and tear etc. And if it goes down, or doesn't do the job? Then what?

How close is the nearest boat repair shop and what do they charge per hour?

Other than the motor a boat only has to float, so what could go wrong? Electrical and electronics should all be checked closely! Does the live-well work properly? The bilge pump? Is the floor soft in ANY areas of the boat? And most importantly is checking the transom! This is where the motor is attached to the back of the boat. Raise and lower the motor (assuming it has power tilt/trim) and see if the transom is weak. With the motor up, lightly bounce the motor up and down looking for weakness in the transom. And if it's weak at all, run away! Replacing a boat floor is very expensive, but replacing a transom could break the bank. It's one of the most overlooked weaknesses of a used boat with an outboard motor.

Then there's the motor which also needs to be checked out thoroughly. How has it been used and maintained? Again, engine/boat repair can be very expensive! And winterizing a motor is fairly simple but must be done! And how many batteries does the boat have? Are they good? If not, here they're close to or more than $100 each, and usually only last 2-3 seasons. And will you be able to keep them on an automatic charger when stored? Or will you have to charge them before each outing?

This is why some people refer to their boat as a money-pit!

Storage. Will the boat be stored inside or out? If outside, consider wear and tear from the weather. Or the cost and upkeep of a boat cover.

Boat & trailer taxes, licenses and possibly inspections?

Cost of live bait each time you go fishing?

Also be sure and check the wheel bearings on the trailer. If they go out, it will be when you're in the middle of nowhere and likely having to leave your boat stranded until you find parts and tools to replace them on the highway.

And before I go on to the positives of owning a boat, is there the slightest possibility a boat could cause problems at home? It wouldn't be the first time it became grounds for a few unpleasant arguments with the wife & family.

On the good side, for me I could never go without one. But I'm fortunate(?) to be single and get a lot of use out of it, in the pond and out. For fishing yes, but for me it's more about nature and the surroundings. Of course I want to catch fish, that's the challenge, but I could also just sit in the middle of a lake and drift for hours. For me there's just something about being on the water that puts me at peace. Maybe you noticed that when we were on our trip (when I wasn't giving you a hard time smile )

It will surely offer you, and hopefully Kubra and Tuna a lot of pleasure and fun but there will also be a few headaches along the way. I think the others here will likely agree. Actually, we could probably start a full thread of boating headaches!

Fatih, it probably sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of getting a boat but I certainly am not! And just as the folks here on the forum try to help others not make mistakes they and others have made, I (and others) are just trying to do the same for you. And I know you've thought of most of these things already, but if not maybe something I've mentioned may help.

So with that being said, I as well as others are excited for you, we're anxious to see pictures of your new boat, the stories to go along with it, and especially pictures of the fish you will catch!

Here's a little fishing and boating fun to watch!
https://youtu.be/UeEIXsz4o5g
Posted By: JKB Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 05:06 AM
"For me there's just something about being on the water that puts me at peace."

Yep! Even if the waves are poking 4-6 feet above static levels on the lake.

One thing I did not anticipate this year is someone would call it on a few 3 foot ripples.

That kinda ticked me off a bit, but it's their boat, and ultimately their responsibility for everyone.

As I told you, a few boats went out in that mess and scored. They lived to tell about it.

Was quite rough tho, but could have been an experience to remember.

Next time?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 11:38 AM
BTW, my 20 ft Ranger has been on the water about 3 times in the last 20 years. My Wife has given up on getting me to sell it. It's the first of the Pro fishing models and it used to go a lot.

I just don't get around to using it like I used to. And, since it just sits there I probably need to buy new batteries(again), trailer tires, etc. I license it and the trailer every year. Why? I'm just not very bright.
Posted By: gully washer Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 01:32 PM
There's a couple of old sayings here in the US which often ring true: (1) "A boat is nothing more than a hole in the water into which you throw your money, and the bigger the hole/boat the more money you throw into it." (2) "The best two days to own a boat are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it."

I hope you enjoy your new boat, Fatih. I certainly enjoyed mine when I was younger, but nowadays you couldn't pay me to take possession of anything larger than a jon boat. laugh
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 02:25 PM
Down here in Texas the wave heights average 3-5' a lot of time. On chartered trips we would go until it was 6-8'. Very miserable day and hard to fish in that. Offshore fishing in that is a love-hate thing..... Back to the towing. Around here 4 wheel drive is a must just to pull the boat out of the water. A 3-4 ton truck with 4 wheel drive is the best option for 25' boats with twin 200's and tandom trailers with brakes. A good quality boat is not lite. Some weights listed are for boat only. Motor, battery's ,fuel , gear add up real quick.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 02:37 PM
I've got 3 boats, and a yak. I'm pretty sure my boss won't allow another seafaring vessel of any type to park here.

I think the cherry 1983 Monarch I bought from DD1 was the final straw. Or it could have been the seeing the same boat stripped to the hull while I was running 24V wiring and networking cables. Either way, I've been told no more boats.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 03:14 PM
Keith, you're worrying me. That may have been the most common sense post I've read for some time. Careful or you will be up there with Sparky, DD, Catman, BC, Cecil, etc etc.
DD, old habits die hard. A friend of mine bought a 78 Ford 1/2 ton brand new. Drove it for a looong time and then parked in his front yard. Sat there for quite a few yrs till his wife told him move it or me. Unfortunately he can't cook and the truck was sold to his nephew with the stipulation that if said nephew ever sold it, my friend has first option.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 06:11 PM
Keith, danggg. I don't want a boat anymore, after reading what you think smile .

Yes, you(and Phil) were probably right. So, i am not buying that boat. I will think about it little more.

My wife is not very happy about it(of course). If you are buying a huge boat in the middle of a desert , then of course you will have some problems with your wife. Hehe.

And i am aware, that boat means trouble ! But i gotta have one. I hate being on the bank. And i gotta have one with a shader and a cabin, because i hate being exposed to sun(as you know) , and i want to stay on the lake overnight.

I read a topic on a forum of car racers, who tow their cars behind all the time. And it was good to know that all those trucks towing 10,000 lbs trailer , averages at least 12 mpg , which is quite ample for me. I don't need anymore.
Posted By: basslover Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 06:48 PM
Fatih -

You could always rig up something yourself. It may not be as aesthetically pleasing as a cabin cruiser, but it would meet your requirements.

In other words, you could make shift a shade area and or a privacy area using aluminum poles or pvc piping, etc. You could make it complicated or keep it simple. Look to tarps/tents/poles/piping for materials to utilize when fabricating your own. In this way you could have a simple 12 to 14 foot jon boat that provides you with protection from Mother Nature, be it full time or part time when you need it.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 08:12 PM
Engine size has a role to play in your mileage also. The smaller the engine, the harder it may have to work. Hard work equals more fuel.
Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/22/15 08:21 PM
Fatih, what happened to the RIB boat??
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/25/15 07:31 AM
Guys, i bought this one. Brand new. Will be delivered in April. No engine yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l81c5CEUHR4

Keith , you spent more than a month with me. Do you , really think i can modify a boat? smile I can't fold my clothes man.

Scott, RIP for the RIB boat. It had problems and i sold it last year.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/25/15 12:33 PM
Nice looking boat, Fatih!!!

What size motor will you be putting on it?

And of course all boats have names, do you have one in mind for yours?
Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/25/15 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Nice looking boat, Fatih!!!

What size motor will you be putting on it?

And of course all boats have names, do you have one in mind for yours?

Keith, IN it. It's an inboard..... wink

Fatih, why no motor in it, what did it do, grenade?

If I was you, I would go to someone and have them add a temperature gauge to your transmission, especially if it is an automatic. The transmission can get too hot even tho the engine temp isn't too hot.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/25/15 08:15 PM
Scott, I stand corrected! The video wouldn't play for me earlier and the one I Googled had an outboard.

I like the boat (reminds me of the SS Minnow whistle ), but personally I wouldn't pull that thing with anything less than a 3/4 ton truck. I just can't imagine a 4 cyl being able to handle it.

But then again I'm often wrong smile
Posted By: CMM Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/26/15 01:12 AM
Looks like you could fly fish off the bow. Also looks like you could spend a few days on that one with no problem! Unless the wife wants you home, of course. Get her and tuna fishing, then you could all have a blast.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/28/15 12:15 PM
Guys, i cancelled the order. This is a huge boat. Not good for towing. And there were lots of procedures for such big boats.

I decided on something smaller. Much better huh? Little more expensive though. 50 HP Yamaha outboard i will use this one.

Cim, this is one of my plans... Hopefully.

Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/28/15 12:17 PM
How much do you think such a boat would cost there(brandnew) ?

Here , is is 7,500 grand. Your boats are much more expensive than ours, i think. Your cars are very cheap.
Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/28/15 06:15 PM
What is the max hp rating on the boat that you are looking at now?

I don't know if a 50 hp would get it up on plane with it loaded with people and gear?

How big is that boat in the picture? (length, beam and height)

What does it weigh (without motor)?
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/28/15 07:25 PM
Scott, this machine will fly with a 50 HP man. I know it is a small engine for you Americans but don't forget that we pay 3 times of what you pay for gas.

Length : 16.1
Weight : 880 lbs
Height: I forgot but something like 6 ft
Beam: No idea
Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/29/15 02:09 AM
Fatih, from the picture I was thinking it would be 18"-20' long and a lot more weight. I think you should be OK with the 50, what is the maximum HP rating for the boat?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/29/15 02:16 AM
Fatih,

IMO You chose wisely Grasshopper! The boat looks great and, IMO, you should be able to tow it ok.
Posted By: CMM Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/29/15 02:24 AM
Nice boat Fatih, I love the toilet option. I have never owned a boat with a head before, seems quite luxurious to this country gal. Enjoy, and do share her name, Keith is right, she must have a name.

Cmm
Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/29/15 02:29 AM
Well, in keeping with the salt water theme in naming things, lets throw names out there.

My contribution is Wahoo!!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/29/15 02:33 AM
.... for a name I'm thinking "Tuna's Inheritance" grin
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/29/15 03:47 PM
A name? I never thought about this. But something with "Tuna" would be great. "Tuna's Inheritance" ? Sounds very nice. What else could be ?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/29/15 04:38 PM
How about road trip?
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/29/15 05:46 PM
"Tuna Fisher"

"Tuna's Delight"

"The Tuna Troller"

"Tuna Hooker"

"Tuna Time"

"Tuna and Fatih's new home because the wife isn't real happy about me owning a boat"

grin laugh shocked
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/29/15 05:59 PM
"Tuned Up"
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/31/15 04:30 AM
Dave , was that a question or a name proposal?

Keith, hehe laugh .

Spark, that was interesting smile .
Posted By: fish n chips Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/31/15 12:25 PM
Congrats on all this new life changing stuff.

Some of my best childhood memories with my Dad resulted from him buying a boat.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/31/15 12:38 PM
Fatih, it was a name proposal.

BTW, Not many guys can afford a new baby and a boat. Both are cash eaters.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 12/31/15 01:10 PM
Tuna Torque

Tuna Tales

Tuna's Tub

Once we get it narrowed down, someone can probably photoshop some graphic layouts on a picture of the boat's transom so Fatih can see what it might look like.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/17/16 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Tuna Torque

Tuna Tales

Tuna's Tub

Once we get it narrowed down, someone can probably photoshop some graphic layouts on a picture of the boat's transom so Fatih can see what it might look like.
Good idea. Can you show me some examples sir?

Guys, i changed my mind and i didn't buy that boat. Why? Because they said it was an unsteady boat. So i flew to Istanbul for a Boat Expo. I spent 2 days looking for boats with a cabin. I could find nothing good. All small boats with a cabin had very little space for fishing. Then i discovered this one.

It has plenttty of space for fishing and also a little sub-cabin that is enough for 1 person to take a nap, which i really need, because i will be fishing overnight sometimes. Scott and Keith know how much i sleep smile .

I need some help here now. 18' boat. 1350# without the outboard. I can afford a 70 HP Yamaha, but is it gonna be enough?

This boat costs 7 grand with lots of extras(no engine). How is the price do you think? I paid the half of it. Will be delivered next month.

The cabin...

Posted By: Bob-O Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/17/16 11:45 PM
Don't look like no fishin boat to me.
Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/17/16 11:54 PM
Maybe it's the Tim Taylor in me, but I would look on the mfg. data tag that should be attached to the boat and put the maximum sized motor on there that they recommend. Hey, you asked for an opinion, and that's mine. wink grin

You can always back off the throttle if you want to go slower, but if you need to go faster and the throttle is wide open your options are pretty limited..............

I would also carry a small tool kit on the boat, including tools to change the propeller, and a spare propeller, along with any nuts, washers or cotter pins needed to change it.

Plus the usual safety gear.
Posted By: JKB Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 01:06 AM
Nice little boat!

Spec say, applicable engines:
Long Shaft Outboard.
50 HP
75 HP
90 HP

Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 01:24 AM
Then I'd go with the 90.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 02:29 AM
FWIW I would think about how I was planning on using the boat. Large BOWs that you will need to travel long distances or smaller BOWs where you will be traveling much shorter distances. Mostly big BOWs, big motor. Mostly small BOWs, smaller motor. Will you want to do things like water ski? If yes, then big motor.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 02:34 AM
A small engine will use more fuel than a larger one that doesn't have to work as hard to plane the hull. Get it up on plane then back off some for best fuel mileage
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 05:05 AM
Nice looking boat, Fatih!

Great points by Scott, Bill and Pat (and JKB for the stats!)!

With 90hp being the max, I would definitely get the 90 hp. Not only for the reasons of a large BOW, but consider the extra weight of batteries, anchors, gear and people. Fully weighted down, the boat may not even get on plane with a smaller motor. It's a regret you don't want to have to live with on a new boat, and your first boat!

And as Scott said, make sure you have the tools necessary in an emergency. And most importantly, a good pair of pliers, side hook-cutters, antibiotic ointment, and bandaids!

In case this happens again:

(had to throw that in whistle )

And as Bill D mentioned, think hard on exactly how you plan to use the boat, now and in the future for when Tuna gets older. Also, will you be doing any trolling? If so consider a kicker motor (small 5-10 hp) for better speed control). And will you be using a trolling motor? If so, I would consider one with 80 lb thrust or more & 24v. Just like your big motor, you want the power when you need it! And it sucks if you need it and don't have it!

Also, read the boat manual carefully. Know your boat!

Read about your boating laws and read a book about boat safety or take a boat safety class! You'll discover important and maybe life saving things you wouldn't have thought of! And I know you know how to run a boat, but you're now the captain and responsible for your family, friends and other boaters!

Rock on, Captain Fatih and congrats on the new boat!

Posted By: JKB Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 01:58 PM
LL - Nice to see you survived! Boy, I really felt bad after watching that video. Had I really known...
Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 02:07 PM
Fatih sent me a text last night saying the boat could hold up to 150 hp and that he was looking at a 70 hp. Yamaha motor is the brand he can get there, he's concerned about fuel economy, and that he will also NOT be putting a kicker on it.

He was concerned about the bigger motor trolling too fast, I told him that there were a few options:
1) back troll
2) use an electric motor
3) throw 2 drift socks out, one on each side of the boat, tied to a cleat on the side of the boat.
4) I think I remember a plate that could be adjusted over the prop too.........
Posted By: JKB Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 02:14 PM
That info was from their website, but the motors did seem a bit small.

Trolling speed depends on what you are trolling for.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 02:21 PM
JKB, I kept telling myself they're just olives! (which didn't help much, lol)

Fatih, you'll do what you want but just be sure the motor is big enough, you will never regret it. Then as Scott mentioned, get a trolling plate for $100 to slow down your troll if necessary.

I have a 120 hp on my boat and it trolls slow enough on it's own, and when I'm trolling for HSB I'm trolling at 1.5 to 3.5 mph.

Regarding fuel economy, Pat's comment is spot on!
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 02:23 PM
Our 16 foot aluminum we run a 90hp merc with a high five stainless prop and it trolls well at idle. We can get 48mph out of her as well.

No kicker for trolling. I think you go to the 150's and up you might want a kicker.

The new merc supercharged motors are the way to go now. Incredible fuel economy but the 350hp is $68,000 canadian.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 05:56 PM
Thanks for your help, guys. Thanks Keith , for reminding that moment smile .

For those who want to see little part of that . Watch HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v33JJP1wvK0

Ok. I think i can go off my budget a bit and buy a 100 HP Yamaha(We don't have 90 HP here) .

But does larger engine increase or decrease consumption? Some say "larger engine, less consumption" but doesn't make sense. There must be a limit to that !

Putting a 300 Vmax won't consume less than a 70 HP , right?

Bono, for saltwater Yamaha should be better(what i read). I like Yamaha better.
Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 07:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Fatih
Thanks for your help, guys. Thanks Keith , for reminding that moment smile .

For those who want to see little part of that . Watch HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v33JJP1wvK0

Ok. I think i can go off my budget a bit and buy a 100 HP Yamaha(We don't have 90 HP here) .

But does larger engine increase or decrease consumption? Some say "larger engine, less consumption" but doesn't make sense. There must be a limit to that !

Putting a 300 Vmax won't consume less than a 70 HP , right?

Bono, for saltwater Yamaha should be better(what i read). I like Yamaha better.

Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
A small engine will use more fuel than a larger one that doesn't have to work as hard to plane the hull. Get it up on plane then back off some for best fuel mileage

What Pat is saying is that you would most likely be running a smaller engine at wide open throttle more of the time, while a larger engine would not have to be run at wide open throttle to make the boat go as fast as the smaller engine.

If you have an instant miles per gallon readout on your car, look at it when the throttle is pressed all the way to the floor and when the throttle is only open half way. That's what the difference is.

Also, with a larger motor you might not even have to open up the throttle all the way to get the boat up on plane, where with a smaller engine you probably would.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 07:52 PM
Another suggestion would be a 4-stroke engine, and maybe all of them are now. Very quiet and no gas-oil mixture needed!

Oh, and thanks for the video flashback! That was awesome!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 10:20 PM
You can ALWAYS throttle down for those times when less is enough....just sayin.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/18/16 11:10 PM
I bet the European Yamaha's are 4-stroke, 16-valve engine with Double Overhead Camshaft (DOHC) for improved acceleration, advanced intake and exhaust system designs – and Yamaha's unique multi-point EFI. The F100 is the same block as the F80 but with 100hp not 80 so the motor is lighter with 20 extra HP.

The F100 has Variable trolling RPM as well. I would say great choice.

One thing if you can afford it is a stainless prop. Put the stock one under the dash in case you find a rock. The stainless will give you the punch out of the hole and tie the back of the boat to the water. When in ruff water the motor will be less likely to come out of the water.

Cheers Don.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/19/16 02:24 AM
Don is right about the stainless prop. UNLESS, you hit a big rock and tear up the motor because the prop won't give.
Posted By: JKB Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/19/16 11:48 PM
Keith and Fatih chose the jet drive boat because it was kinda cool, but Jim and I smoked them really bad, I mean really bad!!!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/20/16 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Keith and Fatih chose the jet drive boat because it was kinda cool, but Jim and I smoked them really bad, I mean really bad!!!
Nah, my choice was based more on the guide who was dressed as a guide, the other was in a T-shirt.

And we know how well that worked out for us smirk We couldn't buy a bite and you and Jim DID smoke us!
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/20/16 08:48 PM
Guys, i will go with 100 HP , if i can afford. You know anything about immobilisers?

And of course, 4-stroke. You can't even buy a 2-stroke anymore.

I don't get the stainless prop thing. The engine comes with a 300 USD worth prop. Isn't it stainless steel?

Phil, i tried to not say a negative word about our guide, because i didn't want to upset you, but that guy was stupid. He was nice, trying to help bla bla but also just plain stupid. Do you know what i told him? I told him to go near your boat and ask what fly you were using, but that he wouldn't do it. I also told Keith to support me to tell him go by your boat and get some info on what fly you were using but Keith was little too nice to hurt our honey bunny guide's feelings.

We ended up catching less fish than those 100 year old fellas fishing from the banks.
Posted By: JKB Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/20/16 09:20 PM
Fatih, I wish I would have known that. Could have called me on the phone or something to see what's going on.

100HP should work pretty well for your boat.

As I remember, our guide just twisted those flies up the night before. It was actually something new he was trying, so that may have been the luck.
Posted By: esshup Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/20/16 10:48 PM
Fatih, here the stainless steel props are not painted, while the aluminum ones are painted.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/21/16 12:01 PM
Fatih, an aluminum prop will bend or break. That usually keeps damage to the stuff inside the lower unit from occurring. OTOH, a steel prop can transfer damage to the running gear. And, aluminum props are cheap.

I have a friend with a boat repair shop and drop by often to give him a hand. I've seen several with internal damage due the steel prop transferring the shock.

BTW, my boat has a steel prop.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/22/16 12:23 PM
Fatih, nice looking boat. Here at least, under powered boats really take a hit at resale/trade-in time. I would always go with the manufacturer's recommended HP.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/22/16 12:45 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Fatih, nice looking boat. Here at least, under powered boats really take a hit at resale/trade-in time. I would always go with the manufacturer's recommended HP.

Yes I am sure you have all heard what boat stands for.

Break,Out,Another,Thousand.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/22/16 01:04 PM
And I thought a boat was a hole in the water to throw your money into. smile I would never suggest you have an 18' boat with less than a 120 motor. You can also change the prop out for a different pitch prop to adjust the hole shot (getting the boat to plane out). Make the deal with the dealer where he will let u see how the boat performs with different props. And I also agree with a stainless prop.

Tracy
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/22/16 01:18 PM
This is the prop we settled on. The holes behind the blade acted like a stall converter in a race car. It would let the RPMs flash to about 2000 right out of the hole then as the exhaust was pulled out the center it would stop the air from coming out. The air running on the back side of the prop let it basically create cavitation and let the RPMs flash.

This works great to pulling skiers and getting an over loaded boat up on plane really quick.

Lifting the motor is a must after install. Because the prop ties the rear of the boat down to the water so well you can then lift the motor on the transom so the top of the prop is level with the bottom of the boat on dry land. With the prop only in the water 6-8"s finding a rock is hard to do but can be done.

Posted By: TGW1 Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/22/16 02:25 PM
Woops !! I ment to say a 120 for that type of boat. I have a 21 footer river boat with a Yamaha 20 but it is a slim river boat built for shallow waters with currents. And Dono is correct, the prop makes a lot of difference in how a boat performs out of the hole or at top end. Dealers most likely will trade out new props on new boats

Tracy
Posted By: Fatih Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/23/16 02:02 PM
I see what you saying guys. And thanks for helping me. Dono , thanks for the effort man.

I just sent an email to my dealer to ask what kind of prop i will get, and i am getting an aluminum one.

So steel and aluminum have their ups and downs.

So Dono, that particular prop you showed. It gets you to planning faster. But what is the downside of that prop? There must be one.

To be honest , if i can afford a 100 HP , this is gonna be more than expensive for me smile . I can't go for an alternative prop just yet.

I wasted most of my money coming from the apartment sale on junk stuff laugh .

Phil, what would happen next, if i called you? Things would get ugly. I guess everybody fishing around that area had their flies twisted the night before. As everyone else was catching a lot laugh .
Posted By: JKB Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/24/16 12:22 AM
D

Posted By: fish n chips Re: Towing and gas mileage? - 02/24/16 12:37 AM
Originally Posted By: JKB

As I remember, our guide just twisted those flies up the night before. It was actually something new he was trying, so that may have been the luck.

I seem to remember him saying that too... However, if I recall correctly, everytime the guide needed another fly he only had to go as far my jacket. smile
© Pond Boss Forum