Pond Boss
Posted By: FireIsHot For my BGE Brother - 07/04/15 02:31 PM
TJ, hour one of my first pork attempt. 8 hours at 250, then pull it, raise the temp to 400, then grill smoked wings for dinner tonight. A great meal for America's birthday.

My Weber in the back of the pic got her feelings hurt.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: For my BGE Brother - 07/04/15 08:00 PM
Keep me apprised on how it turns out! Excelsior!!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: For my BGE Brother - 07/05/15 12:55 AM
The pork had a great flavor, but pork roast is not my favorite cut of meat. The wings were excellent.

TJ, what I'm trying to wrap my head around are the total options available for one load of charcoal. You can grill, then smoke, then shut everything down, and still get another 3-4 hours of residual heat to cook something else. There are lots of options with the Kamado grills that I had never even considered.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: For my BGE Brother - 07/06/15 03:58 AM
Or...the reverse sear option I now favor for nearly everything - smoke low, then cook/bake medium, and finish high for the sear.

Been working on perfecting a gourmet thin crust for my BGE pizzas. I've missed a few times, but also managed to make a couple pies which rivaled the best I've ever eaten. As soon as I dial it in, instructions will be related to you. Last piece will be perfecting a homemade sauce.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: For my BGE Brother - 07/06/15 08:54 PM
Thanks TJ. We're trying a homemade marinara and pizza red sauce tomorrow morning. The romas in the garden are finally hitting full stride.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: For my BGE Brother - 07/06/15 09:23 PM
Not to change the subject, but sauce makes the pizza. Would love to try making some from scratch.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: For my BGE Brother - 07/06/15 09:47 PM
Tony, jump on in with it. We're gonna start with a traditional 4-5 ingredient pizza sauce, and see how we like it. The romas, basil, oregano, and garlic, all came from our garden.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: For my BGE Brother - 07/06/15 11:04 PM
Crust and sauce are what separate the true greats from the pedestrian. Crushed romas with skin removed [will be bitter], plus Al's garden grown ingredients should yield a great sauce. Experimenting with a sweetener like a tad of honey, maybe, little olive oil, rosemary, etc. can help fine tune/refine over the batches. The best sauces I've ever had were lighter - not tomato paste based - but started with what I assumed as crushed tomatoes.

If you make 1 cup batches you can experiment with spice and other ingredient variations and select your top 2 and from there continue to refine. Once you get a sauce recipe down, the hardest work is done and the sky is the limit.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: For my BGE Brother - 11/26/15 12:44 PM
First of two Applewood smoked turkeys for Thanksgiving. As the cook, I felt obligated to test this one before we left this morning, and it turned out great.

Posted By: ewest Re: For my BGE Brother - 11/26/15 03:45 PM
Looks great !!!! What is the rest of the menu ?
Posted By: highflyer Re: For my BGE Brother - 11/26/15 04:14 PM
Excellent!!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: For my BGE Brother - 11/26/15 11:18 PM
Eric, we have all the standard Thanksgiving fare, plus Vietnamese food. Our extended family is Vietnamese, and they reinforce the real meaning of Thanksgiving for us. They are really, really, thankful for this country and all the opportunities it has provided them. It's a nice annual reminder that there's more to Thanksgiving than food and watching the Cowboys lose.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: For my BGE Brother - 11/26/15 11:20 PM
Al; Big Green Egg?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: For my BGE Brother - 11/26/15 11:28 PM
Yep. It's so easy to use it's almost cheating. I love to burn meat, but I sure missed the boat on the kamado smokers. I was late to the party for sure.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: For my BGE Brother - 11/27/15 12:16 AM
Looks delicious, Al!
© Pond Boss Forum