Pond Boss
Posted By: esshup Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 11:39 AM
Another one bites the dust, huh? grin Any special plans for today?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 12:06 PM
Happy Birthday Cecil...hope it's a great one!
Posted By: jludwig Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 12:45 PM
Happy Birthday!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 01:23 PM
Ah yes.....49 is such an innocent age!

HBD, Cecil!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 01:53 PM
A big Happy Bday CB1 in Hooser Indiana - mount a big fish today - taxidermy wise mount that is. Yuk - Yuk.
Posted By: snrub Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 02:22 PM
Happy birthday Cecil.
Posted By: Zep Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 02:52 PM

Posted By: Shorty Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 04:10 PM
Happy B-Day Cecil!
Posted By: Bing Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 04:11 PM
Happy Birthday to a great Pond Boss friend. Sure would like to see you at the PB conference next February.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 04:55 PM
Hey Cecil, Happy Birthday. Am I finally going to meet you in TX?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 04:59 PM
Happy Birthday Cecil!

Pat W
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 06:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
A big Happy Bday CB1 in Hooser Indiana - mount a big fish today - taxidermy wise mount that is. Yuk - Yuk.

Since you asked I finished five mounts this morning at 3:30 A.M. Does that count? grin

Need to drop off a redear and hybrid bluegill at one of my pick up drop off points to get them caught up, and another taxidermist is stopping off to pick up two smallmouth and a redear this afternoon.

I hate the all nighters as I'm getting too old for that but sometimes you got do what you gotta do!

Just got up from a nap to catch up on my sleep and other than skinning out three walleye, and mouting a northern, and taking the dog to the vet it's just another day in Margaritaville without the Margarita. LOL

Thanks for all the happy birthday wishs folks, and Sunil I wish I was 49 again.But i inow you say that to all us old geezers. OTOH when I turn 60, 70, or 80 I'll wish I was 57 again! So I'll be content and know every day and year is a gift.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 06:12 PM
You'll have two more years of being 49. Enjoy!!
Posted By: keith_rowan Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 06:17 PM
happy birthday Cecil!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 07:16 PM
Have a great day Cecil!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 07:26 PM
Happy Birthday, Cecil!
Posted By: the stick Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 07:38 PM
49 again??? Happy birthday, Cecil
Posted By: djstauder Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 08:58 PM
Happy Birthday, Cecil. I am glad you, along with your knowledge and sense of humor, are a regular resident of this forum
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 09:00 PM
Originally Posted By: the stick
49 again??? Happy birthday, Cecil

I don't have two birthdays a year like Bruce!

grin whistle
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 09:00 PM
Originally Posted By: djstauder
Happy Birthday, Cecil. I am glad you, along with your knowledge and sense of humor, are a regular resident of this forum

Thank you for the kind words. Gotta get back to work!
Posted By: JKB Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 09:19 PM
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/05/14 11:38 PM
Cecil, how ironic, you're two best friends on the site wish you a happy B-day one after the other. I'm hoping that between now and next yr you won't po anyone enough ta make next yrs celebration need to be canceled.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/06/14 02:41 AM
Happy Birthday Cecil, still waiting to see your jumbo Tiger trout. wink
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/06/14 04:32 AM
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Happy Birthday Cecil, still waiting to see your jumbo Tiger trout. wink

It will have to wait until I hatch my own eggs once I get the building up. My supplier refuses to produce tigers although he has had requests.

If things go as planned I will have rainbows, browns, brooks, and tigers, and maybe even steelhead or landlocked salmon in the tanks. I can get eggs for all of them although the salmon may not be allowed into the state due to fears of salmon anemia getting into the watershed that feeds Lake Michigan.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/06/14 04:44 AM
Cecil,

Happy Birthday!!

And thanks for the airlift intro, it is working great!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/06/14 04:44 AM
Cecil, if you really wanted the salmon, I bet you could collect your own eggs from the St. Joe River via fishing. You talking Chinook or something else?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/06/14 06:19 AM
Happy Birthday, Cecil!!
Posted By: JKB Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/06/14 06:54 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Cecil, if you really wanted the salmon, I bet you could collect your own eggs from the St. Joe River via fishing. You talking Chinook or something else?

Chinook won't work, but Coho will. Possibly some Steelhead, but ya can't toss any of these in a 300 gallon system that's not prepared to operate at the colder temps.

Be cautious about collecting eggs and milt from State waters. Up here it's a No-No, and your diet could abruptly change to raw bologna on stale white bread. Make sure your loved ones send you plenty of soap on a rope wink
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/06/14 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Cecil,

Happy Birthday!!

And thanks for the airlift intro, it is working great!!

Fantastic!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/06/14 08:19 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup

No, landlocked salmon. Salmo salar. A big deal in the northeast. I once almost bought some from Purdue University to plant into the trout pond, but the Indiana DNR said no to the sale. They had legitimate concerns about the remote potential that they could have ISA (Infectious Salmon Anemia) and didn't want to risk it's introduction into the watershed that feeds Lake Michigan. (I don't believe ISA has shown up in the Great Lakes yet, or at least at that time.)

Chinooks along with coho are raised for the table in some Canadian partial recirculating systems, but they are so easy for taxidermists in the Great Lakes states to obtain via angling, it's not a species that would be worth the effort. Even with my 4000 gallon cold water tanks it wouldn't be cost effective and the chinooks would have to get up to at least 30 pounds to be of any interest to taxidermists. I'd rather use my resources to produce harder to obtain species that I can get premuim prices for. And the cost to ship 20 pound Plus 35 inch plus frozen fish would severely limit sales.

Additionally It would be a big risk taking eggs from wild fish even if it is legal, especially from The Great Lakes. Salmonids in the Great Lakes have tested positive for VHS and IPN and furunculosis among other things. All the Great Lakes states DNR's have knowingly planted disease positive salmonids, including Indiana's DNR which planted IPN positive steelhead one year because the fish weren't dying and they didn't want to destroy the fish. A classic example of a conflict of interest when the entity that is in charge of enforcing disease protocols also raises and plants fish. Disease protocol enforcement should be entirely under the the Indiana Board of Amimal Health. This would not have been an option for a private producer.

The eggs I would use would be purchased from a disease free certified commercial source and shipped overnight Fed Ex in insulated iced boxes.

Here are two sources:

http://www.coldspringstroutfarm.com/

http://www.troutlodge.com/

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/07/14 12:18 AM
CB1 sick with your brookies which are fantastic fish after you are done raising them. Large brook trout like you raise are rare fish and beautiful specimens.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/07/14 12:22 AM
I will but I'd like to offer more species as at some point I will saturate the market wirh brook trout.

Big bluegill over a pound and yellow perch over 2 pounds sell well too. My record is four minutes from posting on a website to money in Pay Pal.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/07/14 12:32 AM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
I will but I'd like to offer more species as at some point I will saturate the market wirh brook trout.

Big bluegill over a pound and yellow perch over 2 pounds sell well too. My record is four minutes from posting on a website to money in Pay Pal.

Have not seen BH on the market.....Opportunity knocking Cecil! grin
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/07/14 02:26 AM
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Have not seen BH on the market.....Opportunity knocking Cecil! grin

Bullhead? grin Most taxidermist won't even mount them and catfish.
Posted By: esshup Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/07/14 02:43 AM
JKB, I've caught steelhead out of the St. Joe River that when landed started squirting eggs and or milt, depending on the sex of the fish. Since I'm keeping the fish, I don't see how keeping the eggs/milt would be illegal since it's in the fish that I'm keeping.

But, I see Cecil's point. Raise something that isn't easy to get and it will command a higher price.
Posted By: JKB Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/07/14 03:45 AM
Posted By: Rainman Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/07/14 05:18 AM
Happy belated birthday, Cecil!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Happy Birthday Cecil! - 12/07/14 08:39 PM
Thanks Rex!
© Pond Boss Forum