Pond Boss
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Hard water! - 11/19/14 05:55 AM
We've had 8 days below freezing, couldn't wait, hopped on the dock and punched a few holes. Appeared around 3-3.5", so I went a little further and popped a few more. Few springs still bubbling, but plenty of solid ice it appears. November 18 is typically still in the 50s around here - this is by far the earliest I've been on the ice in my ice fishing career. I'll be moving the office to the ice tomorrow from Noon onward - call my cell, I'll give you an update on the bite.

Posted By: Shorty Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 02:04 PM
Stay safe TJ, I checked the ice on my pond last night and still don't trust it.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 04:31 PM
I could hear a spring bubbling and you can see it in the first photo on the left hand side. Otherwise pretty solid. Too bad the wind is howling today - might have to postpone until tomorrow.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 04:40 PM
I had standing water on a spot that was sagging yesterday and could see other areas where water had drained back in and eaten some small holes in the ice. The first two feet along the edge wasn't safe to stand on yet. eek

I am going to wait.
Posted By: esshup Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 05:00 PM
TJ, got your picks around your neck??

I've been swimming thru the ice a few times and don't want to repeat the process.

A few years ago we had a calm, cold snap with no snow. There was 3"-4" of ice on the lake, and it froze like a pane of glass. You could see the bottom in 7'-8' of water. Really eerie walking on it, like there was nothing under your feet. Fishing sucked because the fish could see everything, but it was really neat walking around looking at what was on the bottom.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 05:23 PM
I was really hoping for some photos of the first ice catch of the season, but I have to admit that I'm kinda' glad you're waiting a little longer....First ice can be treacherous.

Clear ice may be strong ice, but I hate walking on it.....sooo weird. Give me an inch of snow to settle my nerves! grin
Posted By: mnfish Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 05:50 PM

My view from last weekend. I go thru... I'm cold and wet... less than 3' of water with a solid bottom. IME, falling thru a couple of times, 4" of solid ice is what I need for ice fishing deeper water. With a friend the first time out preferred
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 05:52 PM
Alright mnfish! Did you catch anything?
Posted By: mnfish Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 06:05 PM
Unfortunately not much. A couple of small ones but sure did enjoy the coffee and watching the aquarium below. This weekend we will get a little more serious as I think the ice will be pushing 4"

YOY LMB (fat bugger)

The highlight was the look I got from the bait store gal when I told her I needed wax worms because I was going ice fishing! I said something like," oh don't worry honey we got a solid 1 to 1.5" of ice and its not much deeper than 10' " I did tell her the truth before I left as she was truly concerned smile
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 06:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty
I had standing water on a spot that was sagging yesterday and could see other areas where water had drained back in and eaten some small holes in the ice. The first two feet along the edge wasn't safe to stand on yet. eek

I am going to wait.

Edges are soft still, due to the thermal heat in the soil, but everything around the dock was solid. Good first ice. Smaller ponds lock up earlier, but also thaw much faster as you know. You might not be safe yet...I would not venture onto my upper ponds which are much smaller - not without rope tied to the Tundra.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 06:38 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
TJ, got your picks around your neck??

I've been swimming thru the ice a few times and don't want to repeat the process.

A few years ago we had a calm, cold snap with no snow. There was 3"-4" of ice on the lake, and it froze like a pane of glass. You could see the bottom in 7'-8' of water. Really eerie walking on it, like there was nothing under your feet. Fishing sucked because the fish could see everything, but it was really neat walking around looking at what was on the bottom.

I love first ice, like walking on aquarium glass. I can see structure for the first time since I placed it 8 years ago - super cool, but super spooky too. It's like walking on air.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I was really hoping for some photos of the first ice catch of the season, but I have to admit that I'm kinda' glad you're waiting a little longer....First ice can be treacherous.

Clear ice may be strong ice, but I hate walking on it.....sooo weird. Give me an inch of snow to settle my nerves! grin

We have snow on the ice - about 75% covered. Winds are dying to around 11 this afternoon - will try to get the first pics of the season just for you, Tony! Of course, if you don't hear from me again in this lifetime, you can enjoy that burden on your conscience.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 07:37 PM
This thread puts the image of Cecil standing on his pier drippin wet with just one boot on in my mind.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hard water! - 11/19/14 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

We have snow on the ice - about 75% covered. Winds are dying to around 11 this afternoon - will try to get the first pics of the season just for you, Tony! Of course, if you don't hear from me again in this lifetime, you can enjoy that burden on your conscience.

As if I'm not burdened enough already.

Be careful out there TJ. I might tie off anyway. You know, just so your not hanging around the afterlife, waiting for me to arrive so you can tell me how it's all my fault.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hard water! - 11/20/14 02:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
This thread puts the image of Cecil standing on his pier drippin wet with just one boot on in my mind.

Bob,

I can assure you I did no standing. The dog and I high tailed into the warm house. Kind of a weird feeling running with one boot.

The thing that really sticks out in my mind is the dog standing on the pier with me in the water with the retractable lease still in my hand. She was looking down at me with a look that said, "What in the heck are you doing down there? Is this dumb **** really my master?"
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Hard water! - 11/20/14 04:11 AM
Gotta wonder sometimes who's walkin who. I'm quite sure my ol Shepard was lots more on the ball than I. Probably better lookin also. Once I was going out to a ritzy island,stopped at a draw bridge when a pretty attractive lady of about my age looked over, smiled very nicely and started waving. I instantly perked up and waved back. Unfortunately she shook her head negatively and pointed to the damned dog. I was crushed !!!
Posted By: mnfish Re: Hard water! - 11/20/14 04:50 AM
Every time I went through (3 times to be exact, yep I'm that dumb) it always amazed me how quickly my breath was taken away. It is certainly an adrenaline or panic rush once your on top heading for somewhere dry and warm.

We came up with this challenge as kids. A Styrofoam minnow bucket filled with water and snow. Drop a quarter into the bucket. Insert arm into the bucket for a 10 sec count and then try and grasp the quarter. It seems simple enough...give it a try.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Hard water! - 11/20/14 02:32 PM

You know, just so your not hanging around the afterlife, waiting for me to arrive so you can tell me how it's all my fault.

Yup, you're going to have a hard enough time as it is trying to explain that HBG thing.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hard water! - 11/20/14 03:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac

You know, just so your not hanging around the afterlife, waiting for me to arrive so you can tell me how it's all my fault.

Yup, you're going to have a hard enough time as it is trying to explain that HBG thing.

I've given it some thought, and if the HBG are a sticking point I've decided my best course of action is too simply play dumb and say "platypus"

I figure there will be the usual downcast gazes, under breath muttering, and toe-scuffing on the streets of gold, but I'll get a pass.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Hard water! - 11/20/14 03:36 PM
[I've given it some thought, and if the HBG are a sticking point I've decided my best course of action is too simply play dumb and say "platypus"

I think you may be on to something there.....if they seem overly skeptical, just remind them of the time you took your snapping turtle out in the jon boat for a day on the water.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hard water! - 11/20/14 06:41 PM
Snapping turtles? Pffft, get with the times, Yolk. Snapping turtles don't carry as much weight as currency/influence as they used to, it's all ball bearings these days.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hard water! - 11/20/14 08:16 PM
[I've given it some thought, and if the HBG are a sticking point I've decided my best course of action is too simply play dumb and say "platypus"

I think you may be on to something there.....if they seem overly skeptical, just remind them of the time you took your snapping turtle out in the jon boat for a day on the water.

I don't recall the story unfolding in quite that manner, but there most certainly was a snapper, a jonboat, and some dreadful anxiety involved.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hard water! - 11/20/14 08:30 PM
It was kind of you to indulge said snapper, anyhow. If they have any influence in the afterlife, you should be in good shape. Now, if squirrels, raccoons, or bullheads have any sway, I'm likely in a spot of trouble.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Hard water! - 11/20/14 11:31 PM
I think you've got it backwards, TJ....it was actually the turtle that indulged Sparkie, but only after he warbled a high F and performed some Cossack squat kicks on one of the jon boat seats.

Even a turtle just has to admire a man who can sing and dance like that.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Hard water! - 11/21/14 01:13 AM
Might one inquire whether that was any alcohol involved?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Hard water! - 11/21/14 01:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

So you're thinking the turtle was drunk?

You guys be careful out there on the ice this early! I dropped thru the ice once back in the 70s when I was running my trap line. 1 o'clock in the morning,200 yards from the truck, wearing hip waders and all alone. Not a good time.....I miss those waders!

My forecast is 6 degress tonight but 50 for Sunday with heavy rain. Conditions can change pretty darn fast!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hard water! - 11/21/14 03:55 AM
I think you've got it backwards, TJ....it was actually the turtle that indulged Sparkie, but only after he warbled a high F and performed some Cossack squat kicks on one of the jon boat seats.

Even a turtle just has to admire a man who can sing and dance like that.

I've no riposte rivaling warbling Cossacks. When I've been bested, I acknowledge the victor.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hard water! - 11/21/14 03:59 AM
It's a little known fact that highly agitated snapping turtles can be placed into a trance-like state by the sight of a grown man in a fuzzy hat, arms folded in front of him, squat kicking on a jonboat seat. I am one of only a few individuals in possession of this knowledge, and had planned an article in PondBoss magazine where I hoped to describe the technique in greater detail, complete with photos and possibly a video link. It was to be my contribution to the fine sport of turtle wrangling.

Now that the secret's out however, it seems a moot point.

Dave there was no alcohol involved, although turtle and man could certainly have benefitted from something to calm our nerves once we reached shore.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hard water! - 11/21/14 04:25 AM
Ice is getting sketchy - but I tied off to the dock and tested - it's still around 3". Happy I was able to pop my first fish of 2014 ice season!

Few BG and an RES and it was time to go. Ice is deteriorating and this weekend calls for upper 40s and low 50s - think the window will be closed until a nice cold spell in December. I have one last trip planned for tomorrow night bite WE, YP and HBCP. Hope I stay dry.

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hard water! - 11/21/14 12:08 PM
Nice job TJ! On before Thanksgiving...amazing. Going to be a while yet for me.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Hard water! - 11/21/14 03:02 PM
Plus even a redear sunfish through the ice. Great ice angling this early in the winter.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Hard water! - 11/21/14 08:15 PM
Bored a hole - 7 inches

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hard water! - 11/21/14 11:40 PM
Good looking ice right there - ours is history after tomorrow in the 50s, won't be locked up again until December. Come on polar vortex, get your act together!
Posted By: JKB Re: Hard water! - 11/22/14 02:54 PM
Nice Ice so far. You got an ice machine over there? wink

The rain this morning took out quite a bit of snow and we only had .16" of rain so far. Tomorrow they expect 1.25" of rain and temps. near 50F.

I really hope all the crappy foam ice melts and we get something decent this year. The past several years have been miserable for ice. In fact, it's been quite some time now since we've had decent ice around here.

If it just got cold and stayed cold without the thaws and snow, that would be cool.
Posted By: JKB Re: Hard water! - 11/22/14 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Just remember - You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. - Dean Martin
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Hard water! - 11/22/14 03:17 PM
Ya can lie on the floor and hold on but sometimes it still spins.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hard water! - 11/22/14 04:00 PM
Normally I wouldn't wish for this but I'm hoping the ice melts on my little bluegill production pond, and I can drain it down quickly and scoop out about a thousand of them. Seining is futile with the algae, and the ice came on really fast.

It is raining right now and there is supposed to be a thaw for a few days.

This way I can bring them inside for a few months and get 3 to 5 inches on them.

I'm hoping... crazy

Edit: Just checked the pond and it's a solid 3 inches. Not so sure if the 3 day thaw is going t cut it unless the rain is significant enough. frown
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Hard water! - 11/22/14 04:43 PM
Cecil, my boy and two grandsons (14&15) would probably be glad ta give ya a hand, probably tomorrow. If ya don't have his # from last yr, pm me or call and I'll get it to ya.
Posted By: JKB Re: Hard water! - 11/22/14 05:10 PM
Ya can lie on the floor and hold on but sometimes it still spins.

That's only if you try to hold on laugh wink
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Hard water! - 11/22/14 05:39 PM
My misread. Where was that valuable info when I was 18?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hard water! - 11/22/14 06:55 PM
Cecil, my boy and two grandsons (14&15) would probably be glad ta give ya a hand, probably tomorrow. If ya don't have his # from last yr, pm me or call and I'll get it to ya.

Thanks Bob but not much another person can do. It's just a matter of one person in waders going down with a ladder and scooping fish into a bucket on the deeper end when the pond gets pumped down. Wouldn't be worth the drive over.

Doesn't look promising yet anyway. If I knew the ice would melt I'd chop a hole and crank up the trash pump. But if it doesn't melt I could crush the fish under the ice.
Posted By: JKB Re: Hard water! - 11/23/14 08:16 PM
Nope, no rain yet today, but it's on it's way. Snow, except for a few spots hiding in the bushes is all about gone. Pond out back is mush.

They still are saying that thru tomorrow could quite possibly be 2-3" of rain.

Scott is in Wisconsin on the annual deer hunt, so he may be getting hammered right now, and not even know about it shocked laugh
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hard water! - 11/23/14 08:57 PM
Raining down here with temps in the 50's. Hoping to remove the rest of the bluegills from the hatchery pond if I can get the ice to melt.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hard water! - 11/23/14 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Raining down here with temps in the 50's. Hoping to remove the rest of the bluegills from the hatchery pond if I can get the ice to melt.

Crazy Indiana difference....fished open water ponds, in the rain today. Had partial skim earlier this week, nothing left.

44 degrees on surface.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Hard water! - 11/23/14 10:40 PM
My pond is completely open today.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hard water! - 11/24/14 02:10 AM
I hope that's what I find in the morning. I've got some quarter to half dollar size (and as round) bluegills I'd like to get out of there tomorrow! About a thousand would be great! It would really slow me down if I didn't get any growth out of them this winter.
Posted By: mnfish Re: Hard water! - 11/24/14 02:42 AM
On the ponds this weekend trying a new approach for night fishing crappies.

12V Green Light, sunk through a hole in the middle of ice house

All holes lit up from underneath. We thought maybe it would attract more fish....Nope, it didn't work. But it was a cool look and we did manage to boat 14 of them.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Hard water! - 11/24/14 03:10 PM
Cecil, open water this morning?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hard water! - 11/24/14 03:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty
Cecil, open water this morning?

Yes!

In the adjacent pond there is still a little but the pond that counts is ice free. Now pumping it down ASAP before the next freeze.

Had to take the flag down a few minutes ago. Wind is steady in the 30's gusting into the 50's. I was worried the wind would shred the flag. My house is vibrating and the dog is nervous. LOL
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Hard water! - 11/24/14 03:39 PM
Good deal! Hope the relocation process goes smoothly.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hard water! - 11/26/14 02:08 AM

I was able to remove several hundred bg today. Wasn't able to pump the water down completely because bluegill kept plugging up the intake screen on the trash pump. I had the screen in a five gallon bucket to keep out algae and packed deer fence netting around the screen to keep the bluegill out. Unfortunately that didn't work well and when I pulled out the netting it looked like a Christmas tree with bluegills as ornaments. LOL

I missed a lot of fish but gave it my best. The pond started freezing back over before I cranked up the trash pump this morning. My dip net would freeze if kept out of the water more than about 20 seconds.

I have three to four size ranges of bluegills that I will take a pic of. Good example of a rolling spawn. All are robust in shape but different sizes. Obviously spawned at different times even though there were only four females in the pond.
Posted By: esshup Re: Hard water! - 11/26/14 09:42 PM
I'm back and it must have been windy here. There was stuff scattered about all over the place. Had to retrieve the garbage can from the neighbors.

I've been trying to get lime delivered to spread, but the pile is still froze, and it's inside a building!!

Maybe next week......

24" of snow on the ground up North and no deer.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hard water! - 11/26/14 09:49 PM
Yeah Scott we definitely got some wind! I took the flag down because I was afraid it was going to rip to shreds!

2 feet of snow and no deer? They're probably yarded up somewhere. It would have been like shooting fenced deer! grin
Posted By: esshup Re: Hard water! - 11/27/14 03:18 AM
I think I know where they were hiding out, but there was no way I was going to walk there and shoot a deer. I would have camped there and stayed until the whole thing was eaten before dragging it out of there. Hills and valleys, 1700 acre property and no motorized vehicles allowed. Unfortunately I don't know anybody up there with horses either.

How bad was the wind? I didn't get a chance to look in the woods, nor did I look at the barn roof (I forgot). The pond is ice free on half, and the rest of the stuff around here seems to be in it's place. Up north they said 20-30 mph there, but I saw where they were callling for 40 mph here.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Hard water! - 11/27/14 03:50 AM
We had at least 50 mph gusts and the wind warning was for up to 60 mph.
Posted By: esshup Re: Hard water! - 11/27/14 05:08 AM
Thanks. I'll be out tomorrow morning early looking for any trees or limbs down.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hard water! - 11/27/14 07:27 AM
Originally Posted By: mnfish
On the ponds this weekend trying a new approach for night fishing crappies.

12V Green Light, sunk through a hole in the middle of ice house

All holes lit up from underneath. We thought maybe it would attract more fish....Nope, it didn't work. But it was a cool look and we did manage to boat 14 of them.

Very cool!
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Hard water! - 01/02/15 02:02 PM
Looks like that hard water is on the way big time here. Freezing rain and snow forecast for us tomorrow and then the bottom drops out of the thermometer on Sunday. Subzero temps forecast for all next week. Wednesday they are saying high of -3 low -13!

Right or wrong, I started the aerator yesterday to blow a hole in the couple inches we already have and will keep it open until after the freezing rain/snow event. Will shut it down before the subzero stuff gets here. Raising the level 6 to 12 inches as well while the water is open. Hopefully, this will leave me with a nice area with no snow cover.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: Hard water! - 01/02/15 02:32 PM
I am in the east central part of IL and we are in the ice/rain part of the weather system... I was going to drill and measure ice yesterday, but spent the day at the inlaws.. Hopefully after this system we get to making ice so we can enjoy some of the winter activities of the pond...
© Pond Boss Forum