Pond Boss
Posted By: lassig Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 10:34 AM
Just under 6" in the last 24 hours and looks like we are in for hours more. Pond is up 2.5' to 3' and the water is at the bottom of the dock and rising. Just went out and took the aerator off of the dock and move it up the bank as far as the hoses will reach. Will it hurt to get water in the aerator hoses? Thinking of disconnecting them and moving the aerator to even high ground. I could put a t-stake in and tie them to it will plastic over the ends. The Texas Hunter feeder is still on the dock and just hoping the water doesn't raise that high. It is almost full of food so going to be a pain to move.
Posted By: lassig Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 11:46 AM
7.25" and counting. I hope this ends soon
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 11:47 AM
I've been watching all the rain around the country, and it's just amazing.

Do these storms just sit on top of areas, or are they just repeatedly passing through?
Posted By: lassig Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 12:16 PM
The pier was floating away so I had to go swimming this morning
Posted By: lassig Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 12:18 PM
They are moving just over the same areas repeatedly. I hoping this comes to an end soon. Chasing the dock around isn't fun. Guess it is time to anchor it and not let is sit on top of concrete piers
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 02:48 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
I've been watching all the rain around the country, and it's just amazing.

Do these storms just sit on top of areas, or are they just repeatedly passing through?

Both. The meteorological term is "training" and typically the tstorms keep moving and reforming over the same area.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 05:25 PM
We I am not complaining but we have only gotten 1.625" of rain in the last month. Pond is down 2 feet easy.

Hope this next storm brings in 2" at least.

Cheers Don
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 05:39 PM
I am pretty sure we are going to lose our dam. Water has been going over it for a few hours. Still not a breach yet, but the rain hasn't stopped either. I am hoping I can find a website for people who are enthusiastic about managing a mud puddle.
Posted By: lassig Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 06:35 PM
Jakeroo,

No drain pipe or emergency spillway? Last I check my drain pipe wasn't flowing yet but had to be real close
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 06:59 PM
UPDATE.... Pond is gone. We had both a drain and an emergency spillway. I will post some pics when I get out there. Really sad day.
Posted By: Victor Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 07:29 PM
So sorry J. The radar across the region looked so bad this morning. We got more than six inches of rain in a few hours this summer and we were nervous wrecks. There is nothing to do but watch and hope. Hopefully there is some help or consolation we can provide.
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 07:31 PM
I think this is striclty a pouting situation. Nothing that time and money cant fix. smile
Posted By: mnfish Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 07:36 PM
Sorry! Devastating for sure! I hope there is some way we can all help you recover your loss. I
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 07:38 PM
Very sorry to hear this, Jakeroo.
Posted By: Victor Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 07:39 PM
J - I love your 'pull yourself up by your boot straps and let's go fix it' attitude. You will be just fine with that goal in your mind.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 07:51 PM
Jakeroo,

Sorry for your loss, It has to really suck. IF there is a silver lining, it would be that you could update your pond from what your have learned. Better structure, dig outs, slopes, ect.

Best of luck, it is clear that you have great character and I look forward to your ponds phoenix!!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 07:55 PM
Sorry Jake that's horrible! We are here to help you in any manner possible for your next endeavor - hopefully there were a few nagging issues you always wanted to do differently anyhow?
Posted By: snrub Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 08:00 PM
Sorry to hear of your devastation.

I bet the dam repair will not be as bad as feared.

At least here is hoping so for you.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 08:14 PM
Dude, I'm so sorry.
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 08:14 PM
I think next time we should do the drain a little different. would like to have it siphon from the bottom and not just drain the top water. Also, I can put in a non floating dock. All and all its a really bad deal. On the bright side the creek should have some good fishing this fall. smile I will post some pics soon.
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 08:19 PM
Thanks all for condolences!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 08:42 PM
Sorry for your loss... Please send the rain south ... It's been over a month since any rain around us..... We praying for rain and yall praying for it to stop! Our pond is about 6' low

Good luck on the rebound!

Pat W
Posted By: esshup Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/10/14 11:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
UPDATE.... Pond is gone. We had both a drain and an emergency spillway. I will post some pics when I get out there. Really sad day.

My condolences! Now you know to upsize it next time. What's the stocking plans for the new pond? (heck might as well look on the bright side)

I'll take all the rain you guys want to send this way. The pond is down around 50" from full pool. We had a little over 2 1/2" today, but I'd be happy with triple that.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/11/14 02:56 AM
My condolences Jake.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/11/14 01:06 PM
Good sense of humor in the face of tragedy... "the creek will have some good fishing in the fall"
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/11/14 01:09 PM
Sorry to hear about it Jakeroo. frown
Posted By: lassig Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/11/14 03:03 PM
really sorry to hear that. I don't live to far away so if you need a hand with things just holler.
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/11/14 03:32 PM
Thanks for the offer lassig. Pond is actually close to Siloam Springs State Park if you know where that is. I will let you know if something comes up.
Posted By: esshup Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/11/14 03:44 PM
Jake, I replied to the other post with NRCS info. Get in touch with them, they can help. From the looks of it, maybe the emergency spillway wasn't sized properly? Was there a primary overflow pipe and emergency spillway built into the dam?
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/11/14 04:12 PM
I will give them a call. We had both a spillway and drain. Apparently the funnel was just too large for them. The builder is going to patch the dam and repair the breach it in the spring.
Posted By: lassig Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 09/12/14 12:32 PM
Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
Thanks for the offer lassig. Pond is actually close to Siloam Springs State Park if you know where that is. I will let you know if something comes up.

Yes I do, one of my fishing/hunting buddies has a farm just south of 104 and only 5 ish miles from there. I am over there a couple of times a year turkey hunting and deer hunting. It makes for a nice change of pace from my place.
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 07/14/16 06:44 PM
Well it took a little longer to than the original plan, but the dam is going back up as we speak. Going wider and with a much larger drain and emergency spillway. Hoping to take my drone out and get some footage this weekend. Sorry I haven't visited lately but I was pretty heartbroken when we lost the dam. Hoping to find some FHM to throw in the water in the next few days.
Posted By: snrub Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 07/14/16 07:10 PM
Great to hear Jakeroo. Loosing a dam would be disheartening for sure.

Remember to check those FHM over for hitch hikers. You likely do not want a pair of BH fingerlings or some other undesirable fish in there by accident messing up your stocking plans! It happens!
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 07/16/16 04:18 PM
Did some fishing this morning. Didn't catch anything but 6-7" golden shiners. I think they are big enough to eat some fhm babies but I think the bigger ones should be fairly safe once we get more water.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 07/16/16 07:22 PM
no pictures?
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 08/08/16 12:01 AM
Flew my drone around for a little today. Pretty rough edits but it gives you an idea on the progress. I am calling it 5% full.

https://www.skypixel.com/share/video/pond-filling-up
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 08/08/16 12:31 AM
Interesting video. Post a similar video again when the pond is full.
Posted By: snrub Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 08/08/16 04:51 AM
Glad you got it fixed. Green stuff in bottom of pond ought to get the food chain off to a good start.
Posted By: Jakeroo Re: Rain Rain Go Away - 08/08/16 12:51 PM
Thanks guys... I will keep the pics coming as the project moves forward.
© Pond Boss Forum