Pond Boss
Posted By: esshup California Drought - 08/27/14 12:31 AM
I'm sure Texas has some pictures that rival these. Anybody know where they are at?

http://imgur.com/a/IgoUq
Posted By: Sunil Re: California Drought - 08/27/14 01:05 AM
Brutal.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: California Drought - 08/27/14 01:37 AM
I'm probably repeating myself, and most of you know this, but for those that don't-- the west was first settled during an abnormally wet period. Really fooled the earlier settlers.
Posted By: Bob-O Re: California Drought - 08/27/14 02:13 AM
I remember about 30 yrs ago all the people fertilized their lawns heavily and then complained that the lake association wasn't doing enough to control the weeds in the lake. I chuckled. Then they hired a guy with a pontoon equipped with something resembling a paddlewheel of sharp blade on the front. He would cruise the lake probably cutting weeds that propagated by fragmentation. Also all the owners whined loudly about having to rake up all the dead weeds. Back then all the folks would take the cut and rotting weeds to the lakes wetlands and dump them there. Common sense isn't all that common. Glad I ain't real sharp.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: California Drought - 08/27/14 11:23 AM
Actually, there are some Texas lakes/rivers that are a lot worse than that. No idea where the pics are though.

I saw something on the web yesterday that some California people are ripping out their lawns and being paid $200 by the water district to do it.
Posted By: Bossone Re: California Drought - 08/28/14 10:22 AM
I was just out in the Central Valley as we manufacture grape harvesters. I heard one story where they took out a loan of 130K to dig a 680ft deep well. One customer has had to cut back their tomato plantings by 2/3 to direct their water allocation to their grapes. The practice of flooding fields is going away, but still done more than you think.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: California Drought - 08/28/14 11:37 AM
I hate to say the sky is falling but maybe it is this time. The west is actually a desert that had a wet period. As populations grew in the west and the need for water increased rivers were diverted and used. Wells were drilled into the aquifers and as the water is used up the wells go deeper an deeper. On the news, California wells are being drilled to 1000 feet at a cost of $300,000. When the water comes to an end as it seems will happen the populations will have to mass migrate back to the east. As the oceans rise and population migrate inward it looks to me like more sky falling. I am amazed how little attention is being paid to what looks like a disaster in the making and that a Manhattan type program isn't going on.
Posted By: RC51 Re: California Drought - 08/28/14 12:35 PM
Yeah it's amazing they said that that one lake there I can't recall the name now is like a 100 feet low...... 100 feet? That's crazy! I was watching the discovery channel the other night and something they said pretty much hit home!

They were talking about wars and everything and then the the guy said we don't have to worry about wars with other folks cause by the year 2022 we will be having wars over water!!! It would appear the guy may be right..... A 21st century version of Mad Max is coming folks I think weather we like it or not.....

RC
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: California Drought - 08/28/14 08:48 PM
That's why the liberals out west want severe gun control, so when they move back east cranking up land values silly high, they wont get shot. ;-)

If I lived in CA right now, I would get going while the going is good, and sell my house to some poor sap before it really looses value and move back East.

What I have a hard time believing is that grass lawns are even allowed. Let alone allowed to be watered when things are looking so dire.

The one saving grace may be technological advances in desalination like something recent I read using carbon nano-based reverse osmosis which was highly efficient at desalinating water if the kinks can be worked out. A discovery like that would be Earth-shattering.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: California Drought - 08/28/14 09:21 PM
Don't worry about California it will break off and fall into the Pacific Ocean before too long ... Lol
Posted By: mudhole Re: California Drought - 08/28/14 09:39 PM
I grew up a couple hours from there and remember many camping / water skiing / fishing weekends at the lake. In the mid 70’s it was even lower than it is now.
Posted By: esshup Re: California Drought - 08/28/14 11:03 PM
I was hoping this thread would drag JHAP out of retirement!
Posted By: FishFan Re: California Drought - 08/28/14 11:12 PM
[quote=RC51]Yeah it's amazing they said that that one lake there I can't recall the name now is like a 100 feet low...... 100 feet? That's crazy! I was watching the discovery channel the other night and something they said pretty much hit home!

They were talking about wars and everything and then the the guy said we don't have to worry about wars with other folks cause by the year 2022 we will be having wars over water!!! It would appear the guy may be right..... A 21st century version of Mad Max is coming folks I think weather we like it or not.....

More than likely it was Castaic lake or Casitas. I fished both while on vacation in January and it was crazy when the guide showed me where the water level used to be...and it's much lower now.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: California Drought - 08/28/14 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: RC51
Yeah it's amazing they said that that one lake there I can't recall the name now is like a 100 feet low...... 100 feet? That's crazy! I was watching the discovery channel the other night and something they said pretty much hit home!

RC

Is it time to start rounding up the last of the V8 interceptors, complete with supercharger operated by a two-speed axle switch mounted on the shift handle?

Gotta' cruise over to Thunderdome in style. wink
Posted By: RC51 Re: California Drought - 08/29/14 12:13 PM
Hey Spark you got that right! Now we are showing off our age hey! Isn't if funny how when you look back at a lot of movies how 20 years later you look back and go....now how did they know that was gonna happen for real 20 or 30 years ago?

Sometimes it's really kinda strange how on Q some of these movies are??? I'm just saying.....:)

RC
Posted By: RC51 Re: California Drought - 08/29/14 12:19 PM
Oh JHAP oh JHAP you were a friend of mine... I'd like to think that you still are from time to time, but I found another GSF lover and you been a missing for far to long...... smile

JHAP where are you man........

RC
© Pond Boss Forum