Pond Boss
http://wkms.org/post/estimates-put-asian-carp-fish-kill-near-500000-cumberland-river

Anyone have eyes on this?

Looks like a species-specific fish kill. Virus? Bacteria?
if they find the virus or bacteria (very hard to isolate with dead fish as fish effected but not dead yet would be much better due to contamination), I sure hope they don't make the fish farms test for it. Remember it doesn't have to be found on the fish farms and be species specific. As long as the government looks like they are doing something regardless of how much it costs the private sector that's all that matters. Alleged VHS kills were mostly gobies, sheepshead, carp, and other less desirable species.

Btw I'm sorry but the guy that blames it on low D.O. is an idiot. If other fish are not dying and are even being caught in the same area it's not D.O. Stressed fish are hard to catch. Obviously that's not the case here.

Could still be a a small chemical spill. Not sure about this paticukar species of Asian carp but Grsss carp are ultra sensitive to chemicals such as copper sulfate while others are not.
I can tell you that if they can figure out what it was that killed the Asian (Silver) Carp but nothing else the folks here in IL would LOVE to have some. The Illinois river is infested with them.
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
I can tell you that if they can figure out what it was that killed the Asian (Silver) Carp but nothing else the folks here in IL would LOVE to have some. The Illinois river is infested with them.

You ain't kidding:

“There is a brain pathogen that has been found in Asian carp in previous smaller kills it is called Lactococcosis possibly it could be that and that is what we’re going to be looking for in more fish we got to the labs,” Brooks said.

Durborow anticipates have all test results in a month’s time.
Well, at least a half million or so were wiped out.

Originally Posted By: esshup
“There is a brain pathogen that has been found in Asian carp in previous smaller kills it is called Lactococcosis possibly it could be that and that is what we’re going to be looking for in more fish we got to the labs,” Brooks said.

Durborow anticipates have all test results in a month’s time.

A month to find a brain pathogen? That's laughable.

And like I said good luck isolating a pathogen in dead rotting fish.

© Pond Boss Forum