Pond Boss
Posted By: lifeisgood pond is green with algae I think - 04/21/14 09:36 PM
My pond is about 2 acres in surface area. Just a couple of weeks ago it was fairly clear, however yesterday it is green with algae. Anything I can do about it?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/21/14 09:49 PM
What kind of algae?
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/23/14 01:54 AM
I don't really know what kind. The water is just green with it. I can see some clumps of it floating. Does that help?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/23/14 03:15 AM
Originally Posted By: lifeisgood
I don't really know what kind. The water is just green with it. I can see some clumps of it floating. Does that help?

If you see clumps it's some form of filamentous algae. But you could have an algae bloom of phytoplankton too.
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/23/14 02:48 PM
Any ideas what can be done about it? Is phytoplankton a good thing or a bad thing?
Posted By: esshup Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/23/14 02:55 PM
Generally good, but bad if you can't see a white coffee cup when it's 6" below the water surface.
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/23/14 04:26 PM
Thanks esshup. That helps alot. I can see that far into the water. As a matter of fact I can see the shadows of the channel cats probably a foot or so down.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/23/14 05:06 PM
Originally Posted By: lifeisgood
Thanks esshup. That helps alot. I can see that far into the water. As a matter of fact I can see the shadows of the channel cats probably a foot or so down.

12 inches for phytoplankton is optimum to retard macrophyte growth. If it drops below 6 inches you could be in trouble.
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/23/14 07:16 PM
Is there anything I can do about this?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/24/14 12:18 AM
Steve, the phytoplankton are microscopic plant life. The are the basis of the food chain. They are preyed on by zooplankton which are microscopic animals(bugs). The zoo's are fed on by a bigger bug and this keeps on going up the food chain until you put one in the skillet. So the green color of the water caused by phyto is a good thing; up to a point. It indicates a fertile pond. However, an overabundance of phyto could indicate an overly fertile pond. When that happens, the phyto blooms too much, consumes all of the dissolved oxygen and causes a die off. The biggest fish go first.

The perfect range of sight using a sechi disk is 18 to 24 inches. You can vary from that some either way. BTW, a perfectly clear pond indicates that the water is sterile and has trouble supporting life.

Make a sechi disk of some sort and check the real visibility. You may or may not have a cause to worry but it doesn't sound like a real dangerous situation to me.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/24/14 12:56 AM
Any chance of getting a photo, so we can see what you're seeing?
Posted By: lifeisgood Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/25/14 02:45 AM
I'll try to get a photo to post on here. Meanwhile, is there anything that can be done if I do have a problem?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: pond is green with algae I think - 04/25/14 10:59 AM
Lots of things can be done once the problem is properly identified.
© Pond Boss Forum