Pond Boss
I was walking the dog out on the highway and back yesterday as part of her weight loss program. On the way back I watched a wild turkey make a beeline across the adjacent field toward my house. From the end of my driveway I watched it walk between the raised garden and the front of the house and right past the front door.

Watched three cut across a cornfield on the other side of the highway through a neighbor's yard while fishing a few days before. Sometimes there's a dog tied up in the yard but apparently not that day. It would have been interesting if it had been there!
Cecil, if the dog would a been there the turkeys wouldn't have.
I've had issues with Turkeys trying to get out of my driveway in the morning. They look at you like you're kinda stupid, and a truck is no issue.

Don't want to run one over, because it could be electronically tagged wink
"They look at you like you're kinda stupid" Well get a gun and try ta pop one and you'll agree with em.
Some 'turkeys' even drive cars.
Last month I saw a hen turkey walking down a road in Maui. Seemed a bit out of place.
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Cecil, if the dog would a been there the turkeys wouldn't have.

Yes they are wary birds but he would have been on the side of the house they couldn't see.
Bill, well stated. Come back to Fl and you will see Jack Asses driving. Not all of them have Blue or Purple hair. Why do morons have to kick in the second 2 barrels just to stand on the brakes three blocks down the road?
I saw a lot of them yesterday. It's mating season here and they have busted up and wandering everywhere.

I used to hunt them but quit because they really aren't that good to eat. Next weekend I'm going to try to call some in.
Dave,

I think they are great to eat. Only eat the breast, the rest is not edible. I have a marinade that uses honey/rum and other ingredients. Then wrapped in bacon and place on an alder board on the grill. Great smokey taste and very moist.

Was out this morning and didn't see or hear a turkey. Works call so I had to end the hunt
Dave, sayin you're seeing a lot of em, are they the Blue haired or the ones kickin in the back two barrels? Dang, I hope neither are breeding.
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
"They look at you like you're kinda stupid" Well get a gun and try ta pop one and you'll agree with em.

You ever got the olé one eyed stare from a wild turkey when it hears the safety click off on a 12 ga.. Man I love the last laugh of a marinated wild turkey breast smile
They have good eyes too. I hear they can spot a grasshopper at 40 yds.
It's odd sometimes you can't blink without them seeing you sometimes you can be sitting in a deer stand messing with them and they never see you..
Bob-O, the last thing I need is a bunch of blue hairs hanging around. I try to avoid them.

When I first bought my place, about 30+ years ago, we had turkeys everywhere. Then they left and have never really returned in numbers. I watched a fight between 2 gobblers in the front yard. My presence didn't bother them at all. The fight lasted about 20 minutes. They actually have a pushing contest using their necks a lot. One tried to raise a foot to spur the other one but that threw him off balance and put him at a disadvantage. Cool sight.

I think I'll put some corn in the feeder that's about 100 yards from the house to try to get them to hang around. At least that will make the coons and squirrels happy.
Dave,

Do you have the same turkeys we have up here and out east?
I don't think so. We seem to have the Rio Grande Turkeys.
© Pond Boss Forum