Pond Boss
Posted By: CJBS2003 More snow... - 03/15/14 02:00 AM
They're calling for 6"-12" of snow here in northern VA. This has been a brutal winter for us here south of the Mason-Dixon Line. Snow of this amount this late into the season is quite rare... I am done with winter!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/15/14 02:39 AM
You think it's just you guys that have had a brutal winter? :-)
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: More snow... - 03/15/14 04:46 AM
Yeah, you are not alone. Been snow and or ice around here since the start of December. Non stop. I think we even added more ice to the pond in the last week, it is probably getting cramped under it!
Posted By: esshup Re: More snow... - 03/15/14 06:04 AM
cry

I don't know for sure, but it felt like it hit 50 degrees today. Lots of melting going on. Still have 14.5" of ice on the pond.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/15/14 10:30 AM
Slightly above 50 here yesterday Scott, but it's supposed to get colder again. NWS says colder than normal at least the rest of March.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: More snow... - 03/15/14 10:58 AM
We hit 70 a couple days ago. Yesterday was around 60. Tomorrow is high 50's and then Monday is a high of 34 with sleet and snow. Ridiculous! My daughter was born March 19th 2 years ago. It was in the 80's.
Posted By: JKB Re: More snow... - 03/16/14 04:34 AM
It's melting around here, but thankfully not too fast.

I saw some open water by shore on Spring Lake near the marinas, but the 3 ponds by me are still coffins.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: More snow... - 03/17/14 06:42 PM
We ended up with around 8" here at my house and areas just a few miles away had 14". This has been one intense winter for us. To get this substantial of an amount of snow this late into winter is almost unheard of for Virginia. I am just excited to see the warm weather spring back and come in full force.
Posted By: Sunil Re: More snow... - 03/17/14 07:58 PM
We got no snow around Pittsburgh, but I noted some snow on the cars at the office for those who live an hour east and southeast.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/24/14 06:08 PM
2 more inches tonight here with lows near single digits.

I'm going to have t-shirts made that say, I survived the Indiana winter of 2013-14! with the following picture of one of the entrances of the local middle school that isn't very far from my house.

Posted By: dlowrance Re: More snow... - 03/24/14 09:26 PM
We're calling for more snow tonight and tomorrow...this is well beyond funny.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/24/14 09:55 PM
It could be worse! Ever hear about the year without a summer in 1816? Now that was definitely well beyond funny!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer
Posted By: Dwight Re: More snow... - 03/24/14 10:27 PM
The Pond Boss Forum scientific consensus is:

No more winter, this spring!
Posted By: RAH Re: More snow... - 03/24/14 11:26 PM
When folks ask me what I think of global warming, I say that I am for it! Especially after this winter:)
Posted By: JKB Re: More snow... - 03/24/14 11:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
The Pond Boss Forum scientific consensus is:

No more winter, this spring!

Should be Spring!

I walked out the door this morning to about 4" of new snow! I mean, come on, things were clearing up nicely!

Appeared to be a bit of Ice under the snow.

Saw 3 minor accidents on my 1.1 mile escapade to the shop this morning.

Had the 2500 in 4WD, but couldn't get going any faster from a stop light than a Pinto with flat tires!

It's all melted since then, but this morning was the slipperiest it's been all year.

Pond out back is still a coffin.

Maybe next week...
Posted By: blair5002 Re: More snow... - 03/25/14 12:41 AM
10 degrees celcius above normal last week and 10 degrees below normal this week. 0 F for tonight. I bet it's going towards Dwight again.
Posted By: Sunil Re: More snow... - 03/25/14 12:50 AM
Oh, Canada!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: More snow... - 03/25/14 12:50 AM
When they are calling for 2"+ of snow here in the Washington, DC area on March, 25th... Something is very wrong!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/25/14 01:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Oh, Canada!!!!!!!!!

LOL!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 11:07 AM
Woke up to an inch of snow on the ground this morning. Not in the forecast or even mentioned in the morning weather discussion. Got about 1/2 inch yesterday morning that melted during the day. Temps are in the teens right now.

Supposedly headed for a warming trend in the next few days.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 11:26 AM
We are at 10 degress and had about 2" of snow last night....UGH!!!
Posted By: Grundulis Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 11:48 AM
In the autumn I read news that predicted "the hardest winter in 100 years" or so. Seems like you guys got that "the winter of all winters" but at least my country got almost no winter at all.
There was 3 week period with black frost and no snow. That's all. Ice managed to get approx. 40 cm thick only because of lack of snow but it has gone now. The first real snow appeared about 2 weeks ago and almost everything melted.
I'd predict that only some unlucky people will have fish kills this year. No serious winter fishing too.

Yeah, but I live quite far from you...
Posted By: Sunil Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 12:08 PM
Got close to an inch outside of Pittsburgh.

Good times.......hey.......crap.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 12:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Grundulis
In the autumn I read news that predicted "the hardest winter in 100 years" or so. Seems like you guys got that "the winter of all winters" but at least my country got almost no winter at all.
There was 3 week period with black frost and no snow. That's all. Ice managed to get approx. 40 cm thick only because of lack of snow but it has gone now. The first real snow appeared about 2 weeks ago and almost everything melted.
I'd predict that only some unlucky people will have fish kills this year. No serious winter fishing too.

Yeah, but I live quite far from you...

Interestingly it's not uncommon for Europe to be the exact opposite of us due to the configuration of the circumpolar jet stream, and whatever temps are in the Pacific and Atlantic for the winter. I know Europe had one of the coldest snowiest winters on record a few years ago while we had a mild winter.

Looks like we will bounce back and forth on this in the next few winters at least up here in the Midwest USA. If El Nino comes back as predicted next winter here will be mild. However some meteorologists say it may not or there is only a 50/50 chance.

We here in the Midwest USA are supposed to be below normal in temps for the next two to three months, as the northern eastern Pacific is still well above normal in temps, pushing polar south into the center of our continent. My goodness look at the forecast for Alaska for the next three months! It was colder and snowier in Chicago this winter than Alaska!

One thing that concerns me on the above map is the big disparity between the below normal and above normal temps. For me that spells violent weather including tornadoes. OTH the below normal temps up here could put a damper on bad weather if the two don't collide. All depends on the storm tracks.
Posted By: esshup Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 12:42 PM
No snow this morning here, but it was 15°F.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 01:21 PM
We had about an inch on the ground here yesterday...a good bit melted off as the day progressed but there was also quite a lot of patchy ice...passed a dozen or so cars in the ditch on the way to work.

I'm ready for April Showers and May Flowers...as long as the showers aren't snow showers!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 01:49 PM
We got about 3" of snow yesterday, it started around 7 am and ended around 6 pm. So it was never heavy and started and stopped. I am plain fed up with winter and ready for spring! I can remember fishing for hickory shad in 60 degree water by this time of year in past years. Not this one!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 02:33 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
No snow this morning here, but it was 15°F.

The ice on my big pond is making all kinds of noise this morning with pressure waves coming out into the open water of the diffuser.

Airlines that froze up the other morning apparently thawed out yesterday as when I restarted the compressors they were open. I'm thinking the sun on the black air line thawed them.

From now on I'll just leave them on until the ice goes completely out.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 02:33 PM
In years past, I've picked mushrooms this week. Don't look for that to be the case this year however.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 02:43 PM
Pretty pathetic when forecast highs in the upper 40's gets me excited this time of year!
Posted By: esshup Re: More snow... - 03/26/14 03:47 PM
Cecil, I thawed a clients airline the other day for him. Isopropyl Alcohol did it. Removed airline from compressor, poured in as much as I could, re-connected airline to compressor. Ran it until pressure was 22 psi, shut it off. Had to run the pressure up once in the a.m. and once in the p.m. for 2 days until it finally broke thru.

Compressor in an unheated outbuilding. 3/8" dia airline, LONG run.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/27/14 01:31 AM
Good to know Scott. I'm glad I didn't have to go that route though.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: More snow... - 03/27/14 01:31 AM
We've had about an inch by morning the past three days in a row. Woke up to 12 degrees again! If it wasn't for a Cub Scout committee meeting I would have gone skating on at least 10 inches of good ice.

This is getting old. However we may go downhill skiing again this weekend. All of the slopes are still open, which is rare as hens teeth.

I am just happy that what is hitting or hit Halifax in New Foundland didnt hit us. Category 2 hurricane wind speeds, snow, freezing spray, ice, pelletes... at 100mph plus on the coast. Wow, now that is a blizzard.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/29/14 03:15 AM
Supposed to snow again in the morning. cry At least 50 percent of the ice is off the trout pond and about 15 percent off the big pond, but that ice doesn't look like it will last much longer. Hatchery ponds are still frozen shut.

Supposed to get into the upper 50's Sunday and low 60's on Monday. It will feel like a heat wave!
Posted By: esshup Re: More snow... - 03/29/14 03:29 AM
I'm North of the line, and this time North of the line means rain or nothing.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/29/14 03:54 AM
I'm North of the line, and this time North of the line means rain or nothing.

What's your pond look like ice wise?
Posted By: esshup Re: More snow... - 03/29/14 04:49 AM
The side of the pond by the feeder is open. The rest is iced over, and by the looks of it it's still 6" or so thick.

The ice melted enough so that the duck decoy that marks the diffuser in the deep water was mostly showing. Warm sun today or warm weather last night melted enough ice around it so it's not frozen into the ice any more. Either last night or today I'm guessing a hawk or owl thought it was a real duck. It's now laying on top of the ice with the rope pulled up a foot or so. laugh
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: More snow... - 03/29/14 11:48 AM
We lost a lot of snow pack yesterday, and am assuming a lot of ice. Hard not to with dew points in the 40s. Now jnder a winter storm watch for tonight. Sad.
Posted By: RAH Re: More snow... - 03/29/14 11:56 AM
Snowing here. Ground is covered. Supposed to get up in the mid 50's tomorrow.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/29/14 12:28 PM
The side of the pond by the feeder is open. The rest is iced over, and by the looks of it it's still 6" or so thick.

The ice melted enough so that the duck decoy that marks the diffuser in the deep water was mostly showing. Warm sun today or warm weather last night melted enough ice around it so it's not frozen into the ice any more. Either last night or today I'm guessing a hawk or owl thought it was a real duck. It's now laying on top of the ice with the rope pulled up a foot or so. laugh

My mom put little bird figurines in a bay window at their house when I lived there and a hawk crashed into the window trying to nail it. I found him outside with a really bad headache. We finally convinced my mom to remove the birds after it happened a second time. Don't know if it was the same bird or not.
Posted By: esshup Re: More snow... - 03/29/14 02:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

My mom put little bird figurines in a bay window at their house when I lived there and a hawk crashed into the window trying to nail it. I found him outside with a really bad headache. We finally convinced my mom to remove the birds after it happened a second time. Don't know if it was the same bird or not.

Lucky it didn't break the window. At the house that we use when hunting in Wi. the owners bro-in-law went up there one weekend and called the owner, saying there was a break-in. But nothing was missing. Turned out a grouse flew thru one of the bedroom windows.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 03/29/14 04:27 PM
Yeah I was surprised the window didn't break as loud as it was.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: More snow... - 04/16/14 02:46 AM
I can't believe it is April 15th here in VA and it is snowing. Big giant snow flakes too! Sunday it was over 80 and now snow...
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: More snow... - 04/16/14 03:13 AM
Freeze warnings here last 2 nights after almost 80 degrees the other day..

My garden is in shambles..
Posted By: loretta Re: More snow... - 04/16/14 05:12 AM
Snow here in SE Michigan last night and in the 20's at night for a few nights. What would happen to perch eggs if they were present?

Detroit and area suburbs has broken the record for the most snow ever in a winter, 94.8". The old record was over a century ago (1880-1881) at 93.6" .
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: More snow... - 04/16/14 12:03 PM
Loretta,

If they haven't hatched yet they will probably just take longer to hatch. If they have hatched, which is doubtful where you're at as my perch have just started to drop eggs, there will probably be stiff competition to find suitable zooplankton in the cold water. OTOH in a recreational pond that may not be as dire as a commercial pond where one is attempting to produce high numbers of perch.
Posted By: MSC Re: More snow... - 04/16/14 02:13 PM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I can't believe it is April 15th here in VA and it is snowing. Big giant snow flakes too! Sunday it was over 80 and now snow...

Same thing happened here, we had rain, sleet, hail, and big snowflakes last night. It was 30 this morning and we had a fairly good frost. Glad I haven't planted tomatoes yet. Its only 36 right now.
© Pond Boss Forum