Pond Boss
Posted By: Bob Lusk Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 01:00 PM
Our dear, dear friend Dr. Dave Willis passed away yesterday. After battling cancer and surviving with a great prognosis, he was ice fishing with his grandson Ryder yesterday and had a heart event. I don't know all the details, but he ended up on the operating table around 6:00 last night in Sioux Falls and didn't make it.
Please pray for his wife, Susie, their children, grandson and the entire SDSU family.

Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 01:25 PM
Not cool. Praying for his entire family. :-(

He is off to the next great adventure!
Posted By: george1 Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 01:28 PM
I am heartbroken with the news of Dr. Dave's passing.
We have been close friends sharing support and experience traveling down that rocky road called cancer.
He was one special guy and I will miss him.
Condolences and prayers for his family and friends, from the Glazeners.
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 01:36 PM
devastating.
I'm grateful that I saw him at Bruce's house in September! He looked so happy and healthy!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 01:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Sue Cruz
devastating.
I'm grateful that I saw him at Bruce's house in September! He looked so happy and healthy!

Echo this. Before that weekend, I'd never had a chance to sit down and talk with Dr. Willis face to face. Glad I had that opportunity. For what it's worth, sounds like he went out doing what he loved. RIP Dr. Willis. Prayers for the Willis family.
Just stunned.Thoughts and prayers to the Willis Family. Rest in Peace Dr Dave.
Just feeling sad. That's all I can say.

I'm sorry, Susie.

Sometimes the kindest and gentlest souls get whisked away...
So sorry to hear this. My condolences to the family. frown
Posted By: Zep Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 02:38 PM
Sorry to hear this news.
Condolences to Dave's family.
He will be missed.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 02:44 PM
What crushingly bad news.
Never had the opportunity to meet Dave, it was one of the things I was really looking forward to at the next Pond Con. He will truly be missed.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 02:48 PM
Wow, I am saddened and stunned.

Prayers sent out to the Willis family.
Posted By: ewest Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 03:12 PM
Very hard for me right now after the battles we won !!!!!

I will say this Dave and I had many conversations and emails about life and death and helping people along the path , and more importantly how to think about them and what it all means. Out of that we came to a conclusion 'Life is to be lived one day at a time - seize the day" !!!!! Dave did that better than anyone I know.
Posted By: kenc Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 03:17 PM
Prayers!!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 03:21 PM
Goodbye good friend.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 03:22 PM
I am sad to hear this news. Prayers for the family and friends of the Willis family.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 03:29 PM
My gosh, what a class act. Just so sad...
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 03:40 PM
Go easy, Dave.

You were a model for all of us. One of the good ones...

When we were speaking at Bruce's house last September, we were marveling at the top medical care Dave got when battling the pancreatic cancer.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 03:42 PM
Very saddened by this tragic news. My heartfelt condolences to the Willis family.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 03:44 PM
I'm remembering Dave as one of a small group of forum vets who took me under wing and patiently directed my fledgling efforts at fishery/pond management 7 years ago. Despite his numerous duties as a father, husband, grandfather, head of fisheries dept., he always sacrificed time to respond to my emails or phone calls with enthusiasm. It's a tragic loss, yet I take heart with that countless others will benefit from his teachings, through guys like us, for generations to come. In that way I feel like he's still with us, and we're passing his influence along...

Dave was an uber postive and patient mentor and I will miss my friend dearly. Hard to focus on anything else today over here.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 04:01 PM
As many I did not ever get to meet Dave myself. I am not only sorry for his family but sounds to me like he had a LOT of good friends out here on the forum! My feelings out to you all as well. Good friends are not easy to find and when they pass it's just never easy no matter what.

I am sorry to you all for your loss PB members, and to Daves family we will keep you all in prayer!

RC
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 04:05 PM
Very saddened to hear that news. I with many others had very good bonds with Dr.Dave. His friends, family and the fishery profession will miss a terrific person that graced and enlightened our world.
My thoughts and prayers to the family...
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 04:18 PM
Very sad to hear this. Dr Dave was a good man, and always had time to answer the most simply questions from those of us who needed help and advise. RIP Dr Dave...
Posted By: John Wann Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 04:24 PM
Sad news. I didn't even notice he was sick at Bruce's house. Very strong man. I immediately noticed the wealth of knowledge this man had. Prayers to his family.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 04:51 PM
John, you hit the nail on the head. He had beat cancer, and was healthy.

This is such a shock. It's almost like the Lord tried to take him earlier, and state of the art medicine saved him. This time, the higher calling was not to be denied.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 05:01 PM
Like John, seeing him at Bruce's was my first time to meet him. What I did notice was how all the people in the room lit up when he walked in. Obviously a very loved and respected man.

Prayers sent.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 05:15 PM
Dr Dave was one of those people who's foot prints were larger than life. The worth of a man is measured by the people they touched and the good they do and inspire. Dave touched more people than will ever be known, and his inspiration will go on for generations.

A class act all the way, Dave would always help in the most respectful way. He was such a great example and teacher. Our prayers are with his family as Dave rejoices with his Lord.
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Like John, seeing him at Bruce's was my first time to meet him. What I did notice was how all the people in the room lit up when he walked in. Obviously a very loved and respected man.

Prayers sent.

So very true. What a great way to put it.
Posted By: esshup Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 05:27 PM
WHAT?? Oh man, oh man, oh man. I'm at a loss for words. I just don't know what to say.

My prayers go out to Susie and the Willis family.

The only good thing (if you could call it that) was that he left us quickly doing something that he liked vs. whithering away in a hosptial.

Bob, Eric, whomever knows. Please let us know were to send cards, flowers, etc.

"This is such a shock. It's almost like the Lord tried to take him earlier, and state of the art medicine saved him. This time, the higher calling was not to be denied."

Sunil, that mirrors my thoughts exactly.
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Dr Dave was one of those people who's foot prints were larger than life. The worth of a man is measured by the people they touched and the good they do and inspire. Dave touched more people than will ever be known, and his inspiration will go on for generations.

A class act all the way, Dave would always help in the most respectful way. He was such a great example and teacher. Our prayers are with his family as Dave rejoices with his Lord.

Ditto! Having had some very arrogant professors he was definitely not like them! Class act and giving is definitely a good description.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 06:00 PM
I just got home and saw this. What a horrible tragedy and loss. He was such a special person.

Ken and Lynda
Posted By: RC51 Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 06:42 PM
I hope his Grandson is ok? If he was the only one with him at the time I hope he is not to shocked in all of this and he is ok. That boy must be devistated to have something like that happen right in front of him.

RC
Posted By: davatsa Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 07:37 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this terrible news.
I will be praying for Dr. Dave's family!
Posted By: JKB Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 09:33 PM
Very sad news frown
Will be praying for Dr. Dave and his family.
I am new to the forum but extend my condolences to an obviously well liked individual. My very best to Dr. Dave's family in this very tragic time.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 10:33 PM
I'm crushed and deeply saddened. Our loss is God's gain. Dave will be sorely missed.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 11:07 PM
This is terrible news. I have a family friend who was a colleague of Dr. Willis and spoke very highly of him. My condolences.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/13/14 11:28 PM
So sad to loss a mentor and pioneer in our pond industry. Mostly sad to loss a dear friend before I could make it out to hunt pheasant with him and his dogs. I will try to make everyday and important one because you just never know when our time on earth is finished. Hope to join you in the next world Dave. Prayers Susie for your family.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 12:03 AM
If anyone would like to share a moment of silence and a toast, perhaps we could all be together at 8PM EST?
Posted By: Omaha Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 12:10 AM
Still kind of in shock here.

At the first conference I attended, I was literally star-struck by many of the experts who generously answer our endless questions on this forum. I hesitated to introduce myself to a few of these guys. "Hi, I'm Omaha." "Who?" I saw Dr. Willis, but never introduced myself.

Not a day after the conference ended I had a PM from THE Dr. Dave Willis. He regretted not meeting ME!

I was blown away and learned a quick and valuable lesson about the Pond Boss Family. No longer do I hesitate to contact an expert and ask for guidance, even if I am just a guy with a little puddle in Nebraska.

I was fortunate, extremely fortunate, to finally get to sit down and talk with Dave last September. Was one of the thrills of the weekend for me. It is incredibly humbling knowing now that it was the last time I'd see him.

Heart remains very heavy.
Posted By: esshup Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 12:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
If anyone would like to share a moment of silence and a toast, perhaps we could all be together at 8PM EST?

Sunil, even if it's just you and me, I'm in!
Posted By: CMM Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 12:56 AM
I am pouring my drink now, in memory of Dr. Dave. You have your reward now, Dr. May we all join you one day. CMM
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 12:57 AM
We're not alone!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 12:59 AM
I'm on the Forum at 8pm honoring Dr.Dave's life, knowledge, friendship, and his Pond Boss membership. I will dearly miss that great fish squeezer and mentor.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 12:59 AM
Glass in hand here also.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 01:00 AM
It's with the heaviest of hearts and the joy of remembering a man who ranks among the finest on this earth. Kind, gentle teacher, who humbly brought people together, raised people up, made them believe in themselves and each other, knowing we all have a purpose and a God-given mission. From the Pond Boss family...here's a toast and a moment of silence to our dearest of friends, greatest of colleagues, Dr. David Willis.

Rest in Peace, dear, dear friend.
Posted By: esshup Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 01:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk
It's with the heaviest of hearts and the joy of remembering a man who ranks among the finest on this earth. Kind, gentle teacher, who humbly brought people together, raised people up, made them believe in themselves and each other, knowing we all have a purpose and a God-given mission. From the Pond Boss family...here's a toast and a moment of silence to our dearest of friends, greatest of colleagues, Dr. David Willis.

Rest in Peace, dear, dear friend.

*clink*
Posted By: kenc Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 01:03 AM
A true friend to many, we had much in common.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 01:10 AM
Farewell, Dave
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 01:13 AM
Dr. Dave was like the Moderators' smarter brother. He happily shared his knowledge not only with the country's best fishery students, but also with those of us in the unwashed masses. Dave was a connoisseur of the finer things in life, like good friends, good music, and Dr. Suess. To the best of my knowledge, he only ever made two fishery-related mistakes - judging me on separate occasaions to be "hat worthy", even though my arms are far short of six feet long.

Dr. Willis' Official "Too Many Daves" name was, IIRC, Bodkin Van Horn. Sadly, we now have Too Few Daves, by one.

Via con Dios, mi amigo.

Dave Willis an friends at Lusk Lodge 2
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 01:24 AM
That picture brings back a lot of memories.

I believe that gathering was after PB-I. At PB-I, I only briefly spoke to Dave, and was in awe a bit. I didn't feel worthy to intrude on him. Man, I was wrong.

At Lusk Lodge, I got to spend quality time with Dave, and there is nobody more down to earth. As I think I was the youngest person there, he was telling me all the things I had to look forward to. We had covered the failing vision thing, and he was touching on a few other aspects. Then he added..."and weak stream!"

I was like "What????"

Now, some years later...I know, I know!
Posted By: ewest Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 02:13 AM

Now the empty chair !

We are very sad to hear this news. I have tremendous respect for the man. Live for the moment.
Posted By: the stick Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 03:38 AM
This is a bummer. My heart goes out to Dave's family. Always ready to share his knowledge, and as you can see, a very good man.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 02:40 PM
Memorial donations may be made to the David W. Willis Memorial Scholarship by visiting www.sdstatefoundation.org or SDSU Foundation, Lohr Building, 815 Medary Ave., Box 525, Brookings, SD 57007; 605-697-7475.
Posted By: John Wann Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 03:14 PM

Found this in my photos. Dave was very interested in Bruce's Pavlov trained bass.
I LOVE that photo!
Posted By: John Wann Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 03:38 PM
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 07:54 PM
So sorry and shocked to learn of this. I didn't know Dave and never met him personally, but we exchanged a few fun conversations through PMs here on the forum. Definitely praying for his family.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 09:45 PM
A lot of you have said live for the moment, live each day like it may be your last. When things like this happen it really starts to make you think about how little time you really do have here on this Earth.

Saying things like live for the moment and live each day like it may be your last can sometimes not be so easy, as you can get all caught up in all the things going on in this life and if your not careful you just missed it!! The actual phrase doesn't happen very often to the extent in which you would like it to, but I actually found myself smack dab in the middle of one certain moment last year at the pond.

My mother and father were here working with me as they been the past few years and it was Fathers Day Weekend. We had everyone up to the cabin for a big lunch and work / fun party. I was having a blast watching my 2 boys catching these large BG and HSB and LMB that God and the good folks at PondBoss has blessed me with and my parents were on the deck watching their son and grandsons fishing and having a blast and I just stopped what I was doing as the spirit of joy just came over me and I realized how important of a moment I was having and almost missed it!! I started to tear up and my 10 year old son asked me was I ok? I looked at him and said yeah buddy I couldn't be better as I helped him put a worm on his hook! I was actually in that moment you live for! That was awesome and something I will not soon forget!!!

Sorry just thought I would share!
RC
Posted By: loretta Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/14/14 10:12 PM
I didn't know Dr. Willis but my eyes are tearing up reading all these great sentiments. It's obvious he was very well respected and a wonderful human being, what a terrible loss. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/15/14 12:58 AM
This is a picture that kenc sent to me, and requested to be posted:

Ken, if you care to describe it...
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/15/14 01:05 AM
My day included a lot of thoughts about Dr. Dave and his wonderful bride. Special doesn't even begin to describe the two of them.

Lynda and I last saw Dr. Dave and Susie about a year ago when a number of us gathered at the Lusk's. Dave was so vibrant. He looked and acted like he did before he was originally diagnosed with a medical problem. He gave all of us signed copies of his great pond management book, which is becoming a standard in aquaculture training.

There are just so few people like him, he will be leaving a huge void, especially in the educational community.

It is really hard to think of him not participating with us. In his memory, I think it would be great if Pond Boss friends could provide substantial contributions to the scholarship funds to further his many research projects and students.
Posted By: kenc Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/15/14 01:26 AM
Just a good picture of a great man doing what he loved. He loved his grandbabies.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/15/14 01:49 AM
I keep thinking of Dr. Dave and my original first post. My condolences and prayers go out to his family, and I feel so bad for his grandson who experience his passing. I want to explain why I said "Off to the next great adventure!"

It is my firm belief that heaven is a heck of an adventure full of God, love and new things and meetings of people we thought lost to us. I have no doubt a soul like Dave's will be there in the midst of it, admiring it, and comforted by it.

I didn't know Dr. Dave much at all apart from a few forum interactions, but I have read some of his work. He seemed like one of those rare individuals you come across that can be easily liked, admired and appreciated as confirmed by this thread.

I didn't want to come off sounding callous so I wanted to clarify as I was short on words as I didn't know what to say.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/15/14 02:01 AM
RC, thanks for sharing.

liquidsquid, your original post didn't seem off to me. ' Off the the next great adventure ' is pretty accurate for Dave. On fb, you can see how many students he influenced, but for many of us, we met Dave away from SDSU, on an adventure.

I echo catmandoo's comment also about supporting the scholarship fund. It's also a good time to think about supporting the Jesse West Foundation at SDSU which Dave was instrumental in establishing with ewest.
Posted By: kenc Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/15/14 02:05 AM
Liquidsquid, your belief of Heaven is my belief. I am a Christian, not much of one but one nevertheless. I know that I will see Dave again in Heaven as he is and was a lot better Christian then I have ever been. LS, I will look you up also. Ken Carroll.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/15/14 07:25 AM
This is a picture that kenc sent to me, and requested to be posted:

Ken, if you care to describe it...

Prayers to the Willis family.......... The pic is a tear jerker but what a great pic!!!

I know its none of my business but I had to come back and ask what was the cause? Tell me nonya and I'll never bring it up again.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/15/14 01:24 PM
Hangloose, as far as we know right now, Dave had a heart attack while ice fishing with one of his grandsons. I believe he passed on later that day at the hospital. Probably fought til the very end...
Posted By: ewest Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/16/14 02:41 AM
RC those are the moments that Dave lived for as do all of us. Life is short make it count for something. Thanks for reminding us all !
Posted By: ewest Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/16/14 02:56 AM
Here is one of those moments Dave was so very proud of

Posted By: fishm_n Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/16/14 04:56 AM
Dr. Dave Willis was a great guy willing to help with any and all questions I had. He was very knowledgeable and very willing to help.
Posted By: Robert-NJ Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/16/14 07:56 AM
I am at a loss for words after reading this.I didn't know the man but it's obvious he has touched many lives and will be deeply missed.My prayers go out to the Willis family.
Posted By: ewest Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/16/14 08:49 PM
Dave's funeral starts in about 15 mins. My flight was cancelled so I can't get there. A moment of reflection on the loss and peace and understanding to all the friends , students and family !
Posted By: Dwight Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/16/14 09:00 PM
I am joining you in those reflections.
Posted By: george1 Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/16/14 09:35 PM
I have kept busy today to keep the tears out of my eyes.
It's a sad day!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/16/14 11:05 PM
Blizzard conditions prevented both Shawn and I from attending. Felt sick about it...
Posted By: JKB Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/17/14 12:12 AM
UN-finished PM that I was hoping would last quite a while.

Dave, Rest in Peace!
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/17/14 08:43 AM
Hangloose, as far as we know right now, Dave had a heart attack while ice fishing with one of his grandsons. I believe he passed on later that day at the hospital. Probably fought til the very end...

Thanks for the reply and info Sunil!!! Not a great way to go but he was with family (teaching & passing on knowledge) and having a good time also!

Again, prayers to Dave's family.
Originally Posted By: ewest
Here is one of those moments Dave was so very proud of

Eric,

Who is the young lady? Daughter, student?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/17/14 04:48 PM
She is his student.

I want to say she was at PB IV or PB V.
Thanks Sunil.
Cody Note - Her name was Melissa and her PhD dissertation was with Dr Willis and it dealt with competition between SMB and walleye. Funding for a lot of her study was from the Jesse West Foundation at So Dakota State Univeristy. Summary of her project was in the Jul-Aug 2008 Pond Boss magazine; article title was Fish Competition.
It's always sad when members of our families or our friends and colleagues leave us, but we have to try to remember that death is only a new beginning. Many, perhaps all, of us get to do this all over. Researching James Leininger might offer some a new perspective on what might appear to be our final moment.
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
It's always sad when members of our families or our friends and colleagues leave us, but we have to try to remember that death is only a new beginning. Many, perhaps all, of us get to do this all over.

As you may know there are some quantum mechanic scientists that are now theorizing not only has our universe started over about 9 times, but there may be multiple universes at one time in one place. Also an infinite number of us in different universes with different outcomes.

They are coming up with stuff that would be considered pure science fiction a few decades ago. Credible scientists too and not crackpots.

Anything's possible if you consider the incredible enigma the universe is and how we can't even fathom a creator that could make it that way.

I sure hope there isn't more than one of me out there. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. wink
Every time I receive a catalog from SDSU in the mail, I will have to fight back a tear. He was an amazing person , and when I met him a PB I & II he was more than happy to talk to the me ( a forum goofball) and was always quick with a kind intelligent word. The world is better off because of his love of nature, science, and people. I am still in shock as I just logged on here for the first time in a few weeks to see this. God Bless his family and friends.
Posted By: ewest Re: Tragic News for our Pond Boss family - 01/27/14 01:27 AM
Melissa Wuellner is a Ph.D. at SDSU and has won numerous awards from AFS and was the first student we helped. Here is a link.

http://www.sdstate.edu/nrm/research-endowments/upload/Fish-Competition-July-August-2008.pdf

Here from Pon Con II

Just now seeing this. I will take a moment of silence and have a glass of Zinfandel in the late Dr. Willis' honor. While family and friends think that brother Dave was taken from them way too early, our Lord knows that Dave accomplished what he was sent here to do, and now he was called home. Rest in Paradise brother Dave.
© Pond Boss Forum