Pond Boss
Whats your favorite thing to eat that you catch or kill, or shoot or harvest, or trap or whatever?

I'll start off by saying my favorite is blue crabs steamed with Old Bay. smile
Over seasoned smoked feral hog hams in a big pot of navy beans.

With jalapeno/cheese cornbread of course.
Snow peas from the garden and yellow perch.

omm nomm nomm nomm.......
Bluegill fillets with freshly picked morel mushrooms.

Personally produced maple syrup comes in a close second.
Smoked Steelhead Trout from Lake Erie...
I'll piggy-back on Sprkplug's - fresh Morels and cold water crappie, cooked over a propane fire in camp. Served with several cold beverages and good friends. Best meal ever.
I really like my brown sugar lake michigan king salmon on the grill....

I have to say, I have tried and tried tilapia. It's not allowd in my freezer any longer...
Fried lake trout over a fire on the shore of a northern saskatchewan lake.
I'll go a different direction. I like for someone else to catch them (illegal if I do it smile

Cow. Specifically the rib eye portion of the cow wink

Other wise... Rabbits.
Venison backstrap worked over with a Jaccard meat tenderizer, brushed with melted butter, coated heavily with Montreal steak seasoning and charred on the outside, rare inside. Followed by fresh perch or bluegill fillets dredged in cracker meal and fried in very hot peanut oil. Must be fresh enough to curl up in a ball when they hit the oil. Sorry about the details... you don't get this big by mistake... smile
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Have to go along with sprkplug about the bluegill fillets and mushrooms.
Originally Posted By: FishinPal
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Have to go along with sprkplug about the bluegill fillets and mushrooms.

I'll be the third to go with this one.
Striped bass is probably my favorite catch followed by blue claw crabs.My favorite harvest would be jersey tomatoes followed by silver queen corn.
At least once a year we manage to tie all our favorites together on a Sunday afternoon.We'll begin with a fresh tomato salad,followed by crabs and shrimp steamed in old bay.We'll take a short break to enjoy a frosty beverage before ending with stripper,corn,potato wedges and roasted squash all cooked on the grill.
It'd be a toss up between fresh (not frozen) Bluefin Tuna coated with a mixture of Italian bread crumbs, fennel and parmesian cheese, pan fried "just right" in a little bit of olive oil or baked fresh Wahoo with orange sauce.

For something closer to the current home, I think that Gadwall Recipe that we made at LL2 last year and is in the back of the Spring 2013 issue of PB magazine was great.

I'd put the BG/Morel meal ahead of that if I could only find the morels!
The Bluefin these days have a wonderful flavor of radiation to them too don't they? wink
Last fresh ones that I had was in '97. Caught myself in Mexican waters near Guadalupe Island.
I'll have to add Walleye to the list. Anyway you want to prepare it.
Geeze, it is all good! I wouldn't want to catch it or shoot it, if it wasn't.

For New Years Eve we are getting together at a neighboring farm for "Wild Game Night." All of the invited guests are expected to bring one or more of their favorite wild game specialties. For those of you who know me, most of the invitees have tastes similar to mine. So, I expect some pretty spectacular appetizers, main dishes, and desserts.
Venison marinated in a blend-to- tazte mix of olive oil, balsamico, and various herbs, cooked on a grill with a bunch of garden veggies. I'm also a real sucker for BGthe in just about any of the ways already described by you guys.

Fun thread!
Does catching maple sap count? I am not a hunter, though would be with a good mentor.
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Does catching maple sap count?

I think it counts.....just came in from a relaxing Christmas Eve day spent working on a pieced together maple sap evaporator, myself. No sleigh bells ringing here....it's the sizzle of a mig welder, the raucous din caused by a sawzall, and the shriek of an air-powered cutoff tool.

Nothing like some enjoyable metal fab to put you in the Holiday spirit. smile
Most recently and locally, venison backstrap cut 3/4" thick, marinated for 1/2 hr in "Jack Daniels Marinade in a Bag" then grilled so it's rare to medium rare.
Originally Posted By: Lukkyseven
The Bluefin these days have a wonderful flavor of radiation to them too don't they? wink

Just season to taste with a little potassium iodide! sick
Glad to see a couple guys mention venison. I really like tenderloin/backstrap steaks marinated in zesty italian salad dressing and cooked on my charcoal grill.
1. Terriyaki marinated Elk Loins from Colorado
2. Fresh Mahi Mahi from gulf shores
3. Yellowfin tuna sandwiches from Venice
4. Morel Mushrooms from our woods
5. Grilled Amberjack while on the boat Tuna fishing
6. Fresh lobsters from diving in the keys
7. Catchin Shrimp in gulf shores with lights
8. Smoked venison backstraps at deer camp
9. Wild boar sausage from Tennessee
10. Walleye shore lunch from Canada
n8ly, one of those ten might have caused your illness!!
I like to pick blueberries the night before and put them on my cereal in the am.
What else were you expecting from me!!! smile
Nate, I'll bring you some Elk loin in January when I see ya.
Beaver
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Beaver

whistle
Fresh wild black raspberries!
Grilled or broiled bluegill fillets seasoned with butter, garlic and lemon.
Orange Teriyaki spoonbill grilled outside.
Now I'm hungry.
CMM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Beaver

whistle

Hey, someone had to say it. I've trapped lots of beaver. They have a very sweet smell to them. Believe it or not, there is a meat market for them around here.
When I cooked them, it tasted like beef, but sweeter.
Surf Side
Fresh Pan seared Tuna which is closely followed by Fresh fried Flounder or Black Sea Bass.

Turf Side
Fresh Whitetail tenderloin cubed, breaded and then deep fried spread over a bed of rice covered in a homemade mushroom gravy.
Originally Posted By: MSC
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Beaver

whistle

Hey, someone had to say it. I've trapped lots of beaver. They have a very sweet smell to them. Believe it or not, there is a meat market for them around here.

I had a reply typed up and ready to send, but thought better of it! Glad someone else jumped on that one!

My brother in law did a wild game dinner for the family this past summer and, among all the other stuff, had a large beaver he had trapped. Out of everything there, I have to say that I really liked it. He didn't do anything fancy with the prep on any of the meats, but it was good enough that I think a creative cook could really make some really good dishes with beaver.

Wow. That was really tough to type up without my mind wandering into the gutter!
Many times I remember Mrs Cleaver say, "Ward, I worried about my Beaver". Too bad she didn't have you WV & TX guys around for help...
My favorite thing to eat that I catch is when my wife throws me a Big Mac.
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Many times I remember Mrs Cleaver say, "Ward, I worried about my Beaver". Too bad she didn't have you WV & TX guys around for help...

She would also say to her hubby, "I think you were a little hard on the beav last night."

smirk
Originally Posted By: RAH
My favorite thing to eat that I catch is when my wife throws me a Big Mac.

I hear ya. It's a good thing i never have cash or a car during the day or I'd eat more big macs.
Beaver

Would that be fresh, previously frozen or road kill?
Just got back to the forum and what do I come across but this:
Originally Posted By: sunil
Smoked steelhead trout from Lake Erie

Having witnessed the eagerness with which Sunil whipped out his filleting knife and jumped into the pile of fish we cleaned at RM, I'm thinking that his more likely "caught or killed, shot or harvested, trapped or whatever" source of nourishment might be more accurately depicted below:

Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Just got back to the forum and what do I come across but this:
Originally Posted By: sunil
Smoked steelhead trout from Lake Erie

Having witnessed the eagerness with which Sunil whipped out his filleting knife and jumped into the pile of fish we cleaned at RM, I'm thinking that his more likely "caught or killed, shot or harvested, trapped or whatever" source of nourishment might be more accurately depicted below:

They ain't too bad if you bury them under Bleu Cheese, and they are on the crispy side.
That hurts, Yolk.

A wise man repeatedly told me, "never clean fish while you're passed out."

Word to live by, Cous.........
Would that be fresh, previously frozen or road kill?
Fresh is always preferred but road inebreated works.
Originally Posted By: n8ly
1. Terriyaki marinated Elk Loins from Colorado
2. Fresh Mahi Mahi from gulf shores
3. Yellowfin tuna sandwiches from Venice
4. Morel Mushrooms from our woods
5. Grilled Amberjack while on the boat Tuna fishing
6. Fresh lobsters from diving in the keys
7. Catchin Shrimp in gulf shores with lights
8. Smoked venison backstraps at deer camp
9. Wild boar sausage from Tennessee
10. Walleye shore lunch from Canada

Great list n8ly!!! Got a some more you guys might like ....

11. Conch fritters (Grand Cayman).
12. Bison burgers... Ohio raised.
13. Lake Erie smelt & yellow perch.
14. Dolphin (not the bottle nose kind) Hawaii
15. "Gills"... My favorite!
When I lived in California, Red Abalone. Not the little farm raised critters or the overpriced Mexican Black Abalone you get in restaurants. Fresh Reds from Northern California.

Fresh - Cooked whole. Beat it with a 2x4 a dozen times, score it, put it in foil with garlic and butter and throw on the grille. Melts in your mouth.

Fresh or Frozen – Deep fried. Slice, pound, dip in flour, eggs and milk then bread crumbs. Deep fry for less than 45 seconds. (proper pounding is the key here)

Also have to mention Albacore grilled on the boat within minutes of being caught. Cut in 2 inch cubes, wrap in a slice a bacon and cook for a couple minutes each side.
© Pond Boss Forum