Pond Boss
Posted By: JKB Any snow yet? - 11/10/13 10:33 AM
We had about an inch a couple weeks ago, then only a couple flakes since then. Nothing like going into November when I was a kid tho.

The wind is blowing pretty good right now. It's always neat watching the waves from Lake Michigan slam into the pier's and light house. I haven't seen ice pile up much along the lakeshore in years. One year was really cool with these large jagged sheets of ice just pushed and piled up into all sorts of random shapes.
Posted By: esshup Re: Any snow yet? - 11/10/13 02:12 PM
Bite your tongue! We're supposed to have 2"-3" accumulate in LaPorte and Starke Counties Monday night.....
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Any snow yet? - 11/10/13 02:21 PM
Nothing yet in Ontario. We are in the snow belt and few years ago got over 100"s in one snow fall.

No frost in the ground yet. Snow will not stay till then. This year the barn swallows left three weeks late so I am expecting a pile of snow for a few weeks then mild and all will melt. Then repeat all winter. Nothing will stay this year from November December into next year.

Cheers Don.

Attached picture IMG_0864.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0869.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Any snow yet? - 11/10/13 02:31 PM
A few years ago we had a pretty heavy snowfall before the ground froze. Then it got cold. The ground was insulated enough by the snow, and enough snow kept falling that the ground took a couple of months to finally freeze.

What snow meletd at the bottom was replaced on top.

That year the ground never froze more than about 4" deep.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Any snow yet? - 11/10/13 02:37 PM
We had one snow of about 3 inches, but it melted within a couple of days.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Any snow yet? - 11/10/13 02:44 PM
I'm just hoping it doesn't get cold enough to lock the ponds up about 2", THEN snow on top of that....Snow on top of ice really puts the brakes on any further ice development, and I'm ready for some hard water fishing asap..
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Any snow yet? - 11/10/13 03:17 PM
We have had 8 inches for over a week. My lake has been frozen since then. -24C or -11F here this morning but its supposed to be a nice week with highs above freezing.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Any snow yet? - 11/10/13 04:06 PM
We had 5-6 inches last week; gone in a few days. The average temperature so far in November is 33.6F. There was temp-ice around the edges of the pond this morning.

The circulator is sitting on the Barge ready to install. I like to wait until the bitter end.
Posted By: esshup Re: Any snow yet? - 11/11/13 04:39 AM
JKB, You just HAD to say that dirty 4 letter word, didn't ya?

Local weather says:

Heavy lake effect snow from 7:00 p.m. Monday until 7:00 p.m. Tuesday.

According to the map, if the wind switches even a teeny bit to the East, I'll have about 9" of snow on the ground Tuesday evening. If the wind doesn't switch, I'll still have about 6" of that white stuff on the ground. They are calling for snow in the lake effect snow bands to be coming down at the rate of up to 2" per hour.

Looks like it's time to put the snow tires on the car tomorrow!!

I'm NOT ready for the snow season to start just quite yet!!!
Posted By: JKB Re: Any snow yet? - 11/11/13 10:14 AM
Looks like I'll be caught in snow and ice on my way back.

I hate being on the road the first few snow falls. Everyone still has their summer feet on the gas and brake pedals. I can see the traffic tie ups already. It's gonna be a long ride home.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Any snow yet? - 11/11/13 02:19 PM
Not yet but I'm expecting some within the next 20 years! wink
Posted By: JKB Re: Any snow yet? - 11/11/13 10:39 PM
Its snowing down here in Galva, Il. Boy, this small town shuts down early.

They have pretty decent cable internet at the Super 8. No AT&T service for some distance tho.

It is snowing fairly decent at this hour now.
Posted By: esshup Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 02:31 AM
They are saying that we could see 2" per hour in the storm, and could wind up with 9" or so.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 03:10 AM
Ended up with about 3/4 inch here on the ground. Last i looked the snow had stopped.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 08:10 AM
We had our first snow as my dearest friend Dolly dog and I cross country walked in it, starting at 2am this morning as we always do. Very refreshing this morning and easy to see in the dark.
Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 12:37 PM
Woke up today with 4"s lake effect snow. Should be gone the end of the week but nice to see all the mud covered up.

Heavy fog over the pond from the temp swing.
Posted By: RER Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 02:32 PM
Nothing yet ........
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 03:25 PM
Bobby, ta quote George Thourogood "you funny"
Posted By: esshup Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 03:41 PM
About 2" and still snowing off and on. Some local areas have over 4" already.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 05:02 PM
We had a cold night -2.9 F. The Pond is completely iced over this morning. Luckily we have warmer temperatures returning.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 05:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
We had a cold night -2.9 F. The Pond is completely iced over this morning. Luckily we have warmer temperatures returning.

You wouldn't say that on Ice Shanty.com. They'd run you off the site. grin
Posted By: ewest Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 05:54 PM
No snow but expecting a 50F temp drop tonight. That can be tough on fish especially with a 30 mph north wind.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 06:58 PM
2" here this morning but likely all gone by tomorrow. Ground is still too warm, plus we're supposed to see 63 degrees on Monday. Crazy weather, but man it looks awesome out there today!
Posted By: JKB Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 07:14 PM
Just got back from Galva. Pretty much light to a dusting, or heavy frost till you cross to Indiana. Then it starts to build from there. Southwest lower Michigan got dumped on pretty good.

I expected to see some snow when I got home, but the only snow up here is what I brought back with me laugh
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 09:42 PM
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
Nothing yet ........

Florida slacker! grin
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Any snow yet? - 11/12/13 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
2" here this morning but likely all gone by tomorrow. Ground is still too warm, plus we're supposed to see 63 degrees on Monday. Crazy weather, but man it looks awesome out there today!

Almost the same on this side of the mountain. We got several hours of snow this morning, but ours didn't collect on the ground.

Hey Todd -- where you been? I've already put about 90 pounds of completely de-boned venison in the freezer.

There are still quite a few, with milk on their lips, roaming the Catmandoo half-vast estate. You are welcome to take them, as long as you don't use ESSHUP's Howitzer to shoot them at close range.

(I was in your neighborhood about two weeks ago, but on a very short schedule. We took our granddaughter, who is now at Fairmont, to dinner on our way back from our trip to OK.)

Ten pounds of venison pastrami will start "the cure" tomorrow. You and Sunil, and other PB friends, should put your snow tires and chains on, and head this way in about a week. The cages in the main pond also need to be emptied, so we can have a major fish fry!
Posted By: esshup Re: Any snow yet? - 11/13/13 05:31 AM
Our firearms season starts on Saturday, and the howitzer has been rebarreled to a .45 cal instead of the .50. grin Bullet that exits the barrel is now 55 grains less, smaller diameter, but moving approximately 500-600 fps faster. I'll be doing some chrono work tomorrow to verify a few rifles, and the .45 ca. Savage will be one of them.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Any snow yet? - 11/13/13 04:10 PM
The back three small ponds were frozen over this morning with plate glass thick ice. Of course that will probably melt back away again today or so.

Don't mind as I have a quarter bag of fish feed left and don't want to buy a full bag just yet. They were still feeding like gangbusters in water temps in the low to mid 40's. Now I can feed them every few days instead of every day until serious ice.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Any snow yet? - 11/15/13 02:19 AM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: Todd3138

Almost the same on this side of the mountain. We got several hours of snow this morning, but ours didn't collect on the ground.

Hey Todd -- where you been? I've already put about 90 pounds of completely de-boned venison in the freezer.

There are still quite a few, with milk on their lips, roaming the Catmandoo half-vast estate. You are welcome to take them, as long as you don't use ESSHUP's Howitzer to shoot them at close range.

(I was in your neighborhood about two weeks ago, but on a very short schedule. We took our granddaughter, who is now at Fairmont, to dinner on our way back from our trip to OK.)

Ten pounds of venison pastrami will start "the cure" tomorrow. You and Sunil, and other PB friends, should put your snow tires and chains on, and head this way in about a week. The cages in the main pond also need to be emptied, so we can have a major fish fry!

Work has been keeping me on the go, but this month things have eased up a bit and I'm welcoming the slight break. Been doing a lot of work on the pavilion in the little spare time I've had here and there and am excited to say that it is getting really close to completion.

Spent the whole day today rocking the outside of the bathroom on it and got about half of it done. It looks great. I'll begin the tongue and groove siding perhaps Sunday and should have most of it knocked out within the next week. Can't wait as then all I'll have to do is sit inside my nicely heated building and wait for deer to wander off the hill into my sights.

Finally got my AR's new optics dialed in a few weeks ago and am thinking I'll hunt with it this season for the fun of it. I plan to put a few in the freezer this season but will gladly make a trip over to liberate some pastrami from you!

Wish you had called when you were here, even just to say hi. Hope you're doing well and look forward to catching up at some point soon!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Any snow yet? - 11/15/13 02:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Todd the Dude
Spent the whole day today rocking the outside of the bathroom on it and got about half of it done. It looks great.

I know I'm a sick dude. But, I read the sentence above, and in my crazy mind, I saw you rocking the outhouse to use it, while you filled half of your ....

It reminded me of you and Sunil during the "turtle incident" at Sunil's outhouse.

But, it was the "It looks great" part that made me a little queazy! sick

It is great to have crazy friends!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Any snow yet? - 11/15/13 10:51 PM
Geez, talk about the guy who's crazy! I'm not sure even I would have come up with that interpretation reading someone else's post! Well, okay, I probably would have, but that's beside the point!

The CULTURED STONE that I INSTALLED with MORTAR on the exterior walls of the BATHROOM ON MY PAVILION has a wonderful AESTHETIC APPEAL.

Better?? grin

You sick puppy. laugh
Posted By: jludwig Re: Any snow yet? - 11/22/13 04:45 PM
No snow yet but some is expected Sunday after freezing rain and sleet here today.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Any snow yet? - 11/22/13 06:01 PM
We got less than an inch, but getting some really cold nights.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Any snow yet? - 11/22/13 06:20 PM
1/2" last night. 23-7 hi lo tomorrow. 28 high today. I'm hoping we at least get some skim by Sunday...and it just keeps building. Looking for a long ice fishing season this year...one can hope.
Posted By: JKB Re: Any snow yet? - 11/23/13 01:27 AM
Only a few flakes today. A tad bit of ice, but that is surface in containers.

Should get into the low 20's by morning, but I haven't seen the ground freeze in years.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Any snow yet? - 11/24/13 12:46 PM
4 inches last night, and I dont have the floating swim platform out! Damned pond is down too much to easily get it out, and now expecting a nor'easter in time for thanksgiving. Whoops.
My patch cost me money and it didn't do a thing. Getting the itch to move for a better pond site, but it may be more cost effective just to put in a well.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Any snow yet? - 11/24/13 02:05 PM
Well within a few hours, we would have our first snow here but the storm is stronger and moving slower than predicted.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Any snow yet? - 11/24/13 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
4 inches last night, and I dont have the floating swim platform out! Damned pond is down too much to easily get it out, and now expecting a nor'easter in time for thanksgiving. Whoops.
My patch cost me money and it didn't do a thing. Getting the itch to move for a better pond site, but it may be more cost effective just to put in a well.

Your patch cost you money and didn't do a thing? What are you referring to?

Will the ice really do any damage to your floating swim platform? I keep my piers in my ponds year around with no problems.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Any snow yet? - 11/24/13 06:34 PM
I had the people who dug my pond try to place a 2nd core down the backside of the dam using new clay. After all, cattails were growing there. Turned out it was a spring, and I have leakage across the entire pond basin. If I dug downhill another 30 feet or so, I would have captured a spring, and natural ground pressure may have kept the water level higher. Poop.

The problem with the floating swimming platform is the plastic barrels. They may get crushed when the water freezes deep enough. So far the water is still open, but closing fast. I thought I may try getting it out today, but I had to hook up the plow to the ATV instead of using its winch to pull out the raft.

The euro model is calling for 18 inches of snow right on us. Maybe our dry streak will be broken, and the pind will get a little water? I'll take it!
Posted By: JKB Re: Any snow yet? - 11/24/13 07:03 PM
18" sounds brutal eek

The pond out back (3/4 acre) froze over last night and has a bit of snow on it. The windchill has been down pretty low and no signs of the ground warmth kicking and melting anything. It was totally open about 10pm last night.

I sure hope this ain't gonna be the norm for this year eek
Posted By: jludwig Re: Any snow yet? - 11/24/13 08:57 PM
Predicted 3" some areas had over 10". Others had just a trace.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Any snow yet? - 11/26/13 11:58 AM
This is the live forecast link, I don't where the static one is, and I am on my tablet... but here is our predicted snow. I am just west of Canandaigua. Still have 2 inches from earlier. Looks like thanksgiving may be sparse at our house as we have relatives coming from PA, and itlooks to be rough travel.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/gfemaps/StormTotalSnow.shtml
Posted By: JKB Re: Any snow yet? - 11/26/13 12:17 PM
That don't look very appealing, unless you like snow.

About 1:30 this morning, a plow jockey was out in the parking lot trying to clean up 1/2" of snow that fell earlier in the day. Makes a heck of a racket dropping a blade on pavement that most of the snow has melted off of. He must be getting paid for each visit instead of a seasonal contract.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Any snow yet? - 11/26/13 01:05 PM
Looks like we are going to dodge it this time. It is 33 degrees here this morning. The ponds only have about a half inch of ice.
Posted By: JKB Re: Any snow yet? - 11/29/13 12:43 AM
Forecast for today was 1-3" of snow.

Got 5-8" between here and my dad's house. eek

It was nice to have snow for Thanksgiving, but it can leave now and come back on Christmas Eve wink

It'll melt next week anyway with temps in the low 50's and rain.
Posted By: esshup Re: Any snow yet? - 11/29/13 01:21 AM
We had about 10" or so of lake effect snow... Thanks JKB!
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Any snow yet? - 11/29/13 01:46 AM
Dodged a bullet, a lot less snow then predicted. Wound up with 7 inches of wet stuff, which froze when colder air came in. What stunk was plowing the crap also picked up a lot of my gravel driveway and chucked it to the side. I would have normally lifted the plow a bit, but with guests and a handicap van coming up, I has to scrape as much off as I could. The van got stuck anyways. Ugh.

Thanksgiving turned out nice, only two people didn't make it, and that was my inlaws. They are getting old, and health is failing them which is sad for such vibrant fine folks.
Posted By: JKB Re: Any snow yet? - 11/29/13 01:52 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
We had about 10" or so of lake effect snow... Thanks JKB!

No problemo grin

None of the county trucks were out today, so none of the roads were plowed. Quite a few wreckers making some cash today tho! One city truck in Spring Lake was spreading some salt.

Downtown Grand Haven has heated streets and sidewalks. No snow there! Extra BTU's from the power plant. I think I pay for part of that in my electric bill, and I don't live downtown shocked
© Pond Boss Forum