Pond Boss
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/10/13 02:36 PM
Posted By: ewest Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/10/13 02:57 PM
Yuk , Yuk , Yuk --- laugh -- laugh --- grin
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/10/13 03:06 PM
Chupa-squatch. Or perhaps Squatchacabras. Seen many of those. Shot a few. Think I may have a partial body in the freezer.
Posted By: JKB Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/10/13 03:35 PM
HA! laugh

Here's a real one:
Posted By: JKB Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/12/13 10:30 PM
I guess my reply turned everyone off.

But, It's Real Life!
Posted By: esshup Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/12/13 11:52 PM
There's a musky in the wall in S.A. Loons Restraunt in Minocqua, Wi that was found dead in Lake Minocqua. Next time I'm in there I will take a picture and some measurements. It choked to death on a full sized duck.
Yep, just part of nature.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/13/13 02:39 PM
There's a photo going around of a 20" or so rainbow trout. It's been cut up and stomach contents laid out. Several mice were in it... I saw a vole swimming in a creek I trout fished a lot in college get hammered by a large brown trout. Started using hair flies made to mimic a mouse or vole and caught several 24"+ wild brown trout on them.
Posted By: esshup Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 01:44 AM
This one?

Shrew eating RBT
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 02:02 AM
Yup...
Posted By: Dwight Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 02:29 AM
Our 40 inch NP consume most of the goslings that attempt to follow their parents on their initial swim training day. There will be a long line of them at the start. The water will churn up and the line of trainees will be gone. Not many geese around here any longer.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 02:37 AM
When I was a kid, we regularly visited an older relative who lived on a famous musky/walleye lake.

In those days, we only had snowy NBC and CBS, so we didn't watch much TV. Instead, we'd go to a relative's place, and sit on a screened or glassed-in porch.

I'm sure that this is not politically correct, but it was a great thrill to see ducklings get swallowed by big musky while we sat on the "Davenport" on the porch overlooking the lake.
Posted By: esshup Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 04:18 AM
Ken, no politics involved in that - just a fact of life! wink
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 04:21 PM
"Davenport", dang Ken, haven't heard that word in that context in years... smile
Posted By: Dwight Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
"Davenport", dang Ken, haven't heard that word in that context in years... smile

Ken is quite persnickety in his story telling....
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 08:11 PM
You gotta be Randy's or my age to know what a Davenport is.
Posted By: kenc Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 08:17 PM
Many Grannies got got on a davenport.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 08:41 PM
In the U.S., a davenport originally referred to a squarish sofa, usually upholstered, with a high back and arms. The boxy style developed around the turn of the 20th century, and was named for the A.H. Davenport Company of Boston (later Irving & Casson & Davenport), a firm also known for manufacturing furniture designed by architect H.H. Richardson.

Although somewhat archaic now, the term became generic, applied to almost any sofa or couch, in the Midwest and upstate New York. It was popular enough so that, when convertible sofa-beds were first developed, they were called "davenport beds." The Kroehler Company of Naperville, IL, was the first to patent a sofa with hidden mattress and springs in 1909, though earlier versions may well have existed. Kroehler's davenports were such a hit that, in time, "davenport" came to mean any sort of foldout bed.

In Britain, a davenport was a type of small desk, with a slanted and/or pull-out top and a row of drawers down one or both sides. Originally a simple chest of drawers with a swivel top, it grew increasingly ornate, with hidden compartments and cubbyholes.

This sort of davenport dates from the 1790s, developed by a furniture-making firm named Gillows (aka Gillow & Co.) based in Lancaster, England. Its name derives from the client, listed only as "Captain Davenport" in the company's records. Because of this military connection, and the desk's compact size and multiple compartments, furniture historians theorize the piece was originally intended to be used on campaigns or onboard ships. But the davenport became popular on dry land and in homes throughout during the 19th century.

Davenports of both types are still being made today. But the word applies more to the desk variety, rather than the sofa - an interesting case of a 200-year-old term outlasting a 100-year-old one. When applied to a couch, the meaning has morphed again, and a davenport tends to mean a substantial, more formal sort of sofa.
Posted By: JKB Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/14/13 08:58 PM
I had to look it up myself.

Always wondered why one was called a Davenport and the other a couch or sofa.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/15/13 03:58 PM
This is classic! I remember my grandma calling the couch a "davenport". I still laugh thinking about it. We had to have her tell us just what a "davenport" was!
Posted By: JKB Re: Large mysterious fish eats duck?... - 09/15/13 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: JamesBryan
This is classic! I remember my grandma calling the couch a "davenport". I still laugh thinking about it. We had to have her tell us just what a "davenport" was!

My grandma wouldn't allow kids on the "Davenport"! I actually never sat on the "Davenport" at my Grandma's house my entire life!

It was a fancy rig tho, suitable for looking at, and watching one of my uncles get swatted up side the head for parking his carcass on it laugh

Must have been a cootie thing, because Women were the only ones allowed to sit on the "Davenport"!

Seating was limited to chairs for us rat's, but no way was anyone brave enough to sit in my Grandpa's La-Z-Boy Recliner!

© Pond Boss Forum