Pond Boss
Posted By: Lovnlivin About the weather - 04/09/13 09:43 PM

Sorry, couldn't help myself and we're not getting it near as bad as most of you are!

A weekend of 70's and now this cry
Posted By: jdfarmer Re: About the weather - 04/09/13 10:52 PM
Only in Nebraska, hail, ice, thunder and lighting all at the same time!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: About the weather - 04/09/13 11:08 PM
Amen, JD! And you left out the one thing we all really need,,,, RAIN!

And if you watch the weather map in motion, notice how it breaks apart, goes around the Lincoln area, and then re-forms. Always happens!

But I'll take what we're getting opposed to what you got, or might get!
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/09/13 11:09 PM
Thunder, Lightening, and has been raining like hell all day long.

Esshup don't need no 200 gpm pump with what we are getting!

The drenching I got, just running to my truck earlier, and it was the 3rd from the door with the awning, was pretty brutal!

Flannel, was not the best choice for today wink
Posted By: jludwig Re: About the weather - 04/09/13 11:16 PM
Currently hailing and freezing rain in Oklahoma.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: About the weather - 04/09/13 11:28 PM
80 right here near Dallas. The bottom's supposed to fall out around midnight when the front hits here. 1 1/2 hail, big winds, and huge thunderstorms.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: About the weather - 04/09/13 11:56 PM
I have a wireless thermometer in one of my garden hoop houses. In the last week it has registered a low of 17 degrees F, and today it hit a high of 113 degrees F -- well after I removed the ends so that air could move through it.

This time last week, it was too wet to plow. Today it was a dust storm when I was trying to disc an acre area that I plowed last Sunday, when the ground was perfect.

The peepers and wood frogs seem to think that spring has arrived. That is fine. I just hope summer hasn't arrived just yet. They are calling for 85 degrees on the day after tomorrow. The ice just went out!
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 01:12 AM
Overcast and dry here. We got rain, but not enough to register in the rain gauge. My car thermometer said a hair over 80°F today.

Talked to a buddy in Chicago and he said it was 53°F there, when it was 75.3°F here.

Pond dropped another inch in the last week.

A long line of thunderstorms went past here last night, 40 miles away to the South. I could see flashes and hear rumbling; nothing here but stars.
Posted By: Omaha Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 01:36 AM
My kid put a helmet on and is outside dodging hail. That's good parenting right?
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 02:06 AM

Only if he's also armed with a baseball bat and he hit a few.

They had golf ball sized about 3 miles NW of me but I got nothing but some light rain. How large was the hail you got?
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 02:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Omaha
My kid put a helmet on and is outside dodging hail. That's good parenting right?

Get a video!!!!!
Posted By: Omaha Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 02:20 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup

Get a video!!!!!

He does this every time it hails. I should get video next time.

Just a shade under golf ball size here.
Posted By: MattWI Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 02:53 AM
Three inches so far with another two on the way, switching to snow on Thursday. The drought may be coming to an end! Doesn't look like a very nice start to the spring turkey hunt tomorrow am.
Posted By: jludwig Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 03:17 AM
Currently a -32 degree 24 hour temperature change for my location and the cold front just really got here.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 10:58 AM
80% chance of rain today, 100% tomorrow, and snow on Friday eek
Posted By: jdfarmer Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 11:20 AM
Ground is white here. Mostly ice pellets around 3" total. Don't know what that equals in rain. 25 degrees here, sure feels like planting, not! North Platte, NE had swing of 60 degrees in less than 24 hrs.
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 12:29 PM
Our North windows have a sheet of 1/4" ice on them. Tree branches down. A total mess. We are supposed to get 9-11" of snow tonight and tomorrow.

There were a couple hundred ducks huddled up in the Barge area last evening, I assume trying to avoid the high winds freezing rain pellets, sleet and snow.
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 12:37 PM
Originally Posted By: jdfarmer
Ground is white here. Mostly ice pellets around 3" total. Don't know what that equals in rain. 25 degrees here, sure feels like planting, not! North Platte, NE had swing of 60 degrees in less than 24 hrs.

I've only gotten 75/100ths in the past 2 days but pond is up 2". More expected today and possibly turning to snow, yet 60's this weekend. Crazy crazy

I'm just thankful I'm not getting what the North and Northeast have gotten and for what's coming!

Dwight, 1/4" of ice on the windows,,,, not good!
Posted By: jludwig Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 01:40 PM
Ice and rain in Oklahoma. Up to 1/4" on trees and power lines. Power outages starting.
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 02:28 PM
It snowed this morning in Green Bay.
Posted By: mnfish Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 02:31 PM
I GIVE UP... done fighting mother nature. Tonight, I'm putting away the fish traps, rod/reels, and lawn tractor. I will be restringing the christmas lights on the house and putting up the christmas tree. 8-12" of snow expected here later today. I just want to cry...I feel like winter is NEVER going to end.

Turkey hunting starts for me and my buddy next Wednesday does anybody have any techniques for hunting gobblers in a foot of snow? grin
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 02:50 PM
46° with a real feel of 36° here...Supposed to rain most of the day but nothing more than enough to keep the dust down so far.. We can use some before the heat so the morels get to poppin!!!
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: mnfish
I GIVE UP... done fighting mother nature. Tonight, I'm putting away the fish traps, rod/reels, and lawn tractor. I will be restringing the christmas lights on the house and putting up the christmas tree. 8-12" of snow expected here later today. I just want to cry...I feel like winter is NEVER going to end.

Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 05:47 PM
Turkey hunting starts for me and my buddy next Wednesday does anybody have any techniques for hunting gobblers in a foot of snow? grin

Yep! White camo and pattern them like deer. Follow where they've been walking and scratching. If they're strutting, you'll see wing marks in the snow.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin

Love it!
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 08:08 PM
Power outages (3 days estimated) in our area.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Dwight
Power outages (3 days estimated) in our area.

eek

The lights were flickering quite a bit at work this morning when the storm passed thru. I hit "save" quite often when that happens!

They blew it on the 80% rain thing for today tho. Only a bit in the morning.
Posted By: Yellow Jacket Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 08:41 PM

This is so depressing...I don't know how you guys deal with it.

Let me suggest some therapy that may help a little...tune into the Masters on the Golf Channel or wherever you can get it, fix a nice cocktail and kick up your feet and imagine you're down here watching the practice rounds.

86 degrees in Augusta right now and not a cloud in the sky. 78 here in the low country and it has been hard to be inside and work.
Posted By: mnfish Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 09:43 PM
Great idea with the cocktail and the Masters. With the NCAA tourney now over, I need something. wink
Posted By: mnfish Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 09:44 PM
Man u guys got hammered and not in the good way!
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 04/10/13 10:15 PM
We had a record low high temperature for today. The coldest high temperature for this date in Oklahoma City is 45 degrees. We only hit 37 today. Tonight, we're supposed to eclipse our record low of 29 degrees by two degrees. Everything from Oklahoma City going west is iced over with lots of damage to trees and power lines..... And according to the meteorologist, we could see freezing temperatures late next week! frown
Posted By: jdfarmer Re: About the weather - 04/11/13 12:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Okie Bob
We had a record low high temperature for today. The coldest high temperature for this date in Oklahoma City is 45 degrees. We only hit 37 today. Tonight, we're supposed to eclipse our record low of 29 degrees by two degrees. Everything from Oklahoma City going west is iced over with lots of damage to trees and power lines..... And according to the meteorologist, we could see freezing temperatures late next week! frown

Know some wheat farmers down there, not good for wheat!
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 01:06 AM
Had another 1/2" of rain... pond overfull and moving like a slow whirlpool due to flow-through. The real problem is the latest batch rain that froze over everything!

We have had 1.65" of rain on already saturated ground, and now expecting another 2-3" of wet stuff tonight and tomorrow. Water was already 1.5" over full pool. Just craploads of water going in.

But it BEATS SNOW ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! :-P d-:
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 01:12 AM
cry

1 3/8" rain last night, another 1/2" late today. With that 1 3/8" the pond rose 1".........
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 01:20 AM
Trying out DropBox for the first time...

Shoot, embedded images not working

Does anyone know how to link to Dropbox images once you have copied the link?
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 01:41 AM
cry

1 3/8" rain last night, another 1/2" late today. With that 1 3/8" the pond rose 1".........

Woot! Better than a sharp stick in the eye! Supposed to be a few more storms lined up for you guys, so crossing my fingers the next one will "stick" for you.
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 01:45 AM
You're right. The ground was so dry that there weren't any puddles, it all soaked in.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 02:13 AM
It's wet and green here. I shut down the well that feeds the trout pond about 3 A.M. last night it was raining so hard. Normally it has two outlets but I've got one blocked up to fill the big pond only.
Posted By: Rainman Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 02:14 AM
Third April in a row for damage...Tornado's yesterday and 2011..major hail damage last year. Replacing vehicle glass may become part of my oil changes soon...lol
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 02:20 AM
I was wondering how the people in Misery fared when I saw the weather reports.

Rex, I think they make buildings that are called garages.... wink
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 01:27 PM
April 11 - Spring 2013
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 01:49 PM
Dwight,that is a beautiful picture but I don't envy you. We had one day of spring,then high eighties and record of 91 on Wed. but I will take ours over yours anytime. There will be a lot of people going to bed in a cold,dark house. Hope it is not you and yours. Winter can be verrrrrry loooooong.
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: kenc
Dwight,that is a beautiful picture but I don't envy you. We had one day of spring,then high eighties and record of 91 on Wed. but I will take ours over yours anytime. There will be a lot of people going to bed in a cold,dark house. Hope it is not you and yours. Winter can be verrrrrry loooooong.

We have it a lot better than many that are only a few miles away. One of my IT guys has had no power since Tuesday night! Our power provider has most everything underground so we rarely have a power issue.

There is one small town that expects to be without power for 2 weeks.

A lot more trees and limbs hit the ground after that photo.
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/12/13 07:26 PM
I might buy a pair of snowshoes and march south.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/13/13 01:54 PM
April 11 - Spring 2013

It's snowing here today, but not that bad! eek

Still miserable tho.
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/13/13 04:47 PM
I was the Sporting Clays range today for their bunny shoot. Started shooting around 8:15 and finished by 9:30. Drizzle, rain, sleet and some snow, all before we finished. As I was driving home, the sleet was so heavy that it was starting to accumulate on the highway. Car thermometer said 34°F at 10:00 EST.

Supposed to be 71°F tomorrow, then back down. Rain next week, 2" or so. We need it!!!
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 04/17/13 12:27 PM
In coming storm...---...

Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/17/13 12:46 PM
Are you sure you can live through another one this year? Water temperature went from 53-72 in 7 days. Heat cooked all of the Jap. cherry tree blooms in three days. They usually last about 10 days. you will probably have one day of spring(we did), then it will be the middle of the summer. Good luck.
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/17/13 05:05 PM
The weather pattern that is shaping up here doesn't bode will for water this year. There's rain 30 miles North, and 60 miles South and we are sitting here bone dry.

Supposed to be in the upper 70's on Thursday with storms, and a high in the low to mid 40's on Friday with snow flurries. Good tornado weather.....

Dwight, I'd put the chains back on the Mule!
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/17/13 09:01 PM
Pretty soggy up here. Really decent thunder storm rolling in right now.

Been driving to GR the past couple days and everything is pretty much flooded.

What surprised me, is driving down a stretch of road, which is lined with evergreen nurseries and blueberry farms. The fields all have standing water, for miles. This area is all sand!

Driving just east of GVSU, there are two man made lakes with HOA's. Pretty expensive houses here. The Grand River crested over into both of these lakes.

Just guessing right now, but I'll bet that their docks on the lakes are a good 10+ feet under right now, maybe more. One house don't have much more to go before the water is inside. Sure hope they don't have a basement!
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/17/13 10:38 PM
The weather pattern that is shaping up here doesn't bode will for water this year. There's rain 30 miles North, and 60 miles South and we are sitting here bone dry.

Supposed to be in the upper 70's on Thursday with storms, and a high in the low to mid 40's on Friday with snow flurries. Good tornado weather.....

Dwight, I'd put the chains back on the Mule!

If what is going through here doesn't break up you will be getting some serious rain... Hoping for the best for you...From looking at radar it should just about be to your doorstep...
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 04/17/13 10:51 PM
Winter Storm Warning now......
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/17/13 11:34 PM
Oh Boy Dwight, I don't know if I could go thru that any more this year.
Posted By: jludwig Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 02:05 AM
Freeze warning in the panhandle of Oklahoma. Tornadoes in the southwest corner of Oklahoma. Tornado watch for most of the state. Hail up to the size of baseballs. Interesting day in Oklahoma.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 04:34 AM
I have been wining about our weather all spring but now it is better then yours Dwight. Just remember that having to much water is better then a drought even if it comes as snow.

Good luck
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 11:01 AM
Dave, you get any of this? Our power just came back on.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 11:03 AM
Good ol heavy spring thunderstorms today with temps in the mid 60's. At least they took snow out of tomorrows forecast!

These heavy rains do bring considerable flooding tho. Quite a few river flood warnings out right now.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 01:37 PM
And round two's front just rolled thru...Saw a couple of trees down on the way to drop boys off at school...Probably got 1/4+ inch of rain in 10 minutes...Radar looks like it is going to set in for awhile now...
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 02:07 PM
I got an inch here in Hurst and maybe the same amt up North.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 02:24 PM
Wind is howling outside and front is supposed to move in later this morning with severe storms and tornadoes possible. Also hail and flooding. I'll take the rain though.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 02:38 PM
The storm that is going through here has some pretty serious wind at the front...So you guys in IN had better button your hatches...Rantoul IL had several trees and poles down right in town...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 04:35 PM
Thanks!

I'm hoping Scott and Fritz will get enough rain to bring their ponds up. They're in Northcentral to Northwest Indiana.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 05:18 PM
We're sitting at 2 inches in the last 24 hours and it's supposed to rain another 12. My 18" overflow on the big pond is NOT keeping up - the top of the whistle is 6-8 inches underwater and drawing one heck of a whirlpool around it. This might be the day I find out if the emergency runoff area was pitched correctly...it's always looked too high to me. Heck of a way to find out.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 05:46 PM
Just drove by the house we close on tomorrow and the pond is up atleast 8" if not more...Sounds like the heaviest rain is yet to get here...
Posted By: Omaha Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 05:48 PM
Rain just turned to snow here. Whatever Nebraska....
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 05:50 PM
View from my office windows. Shades are down now....

Click on the video to view.

Posted By: Omaha Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 05:54 PM
Go home weather, you're drunk.
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 06:02 PM
Josh and Dwight, you need to buy a bag of bones, some rope,plastic sled, then round up every dog you can and start "The FLorida Iditarod".
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 06:04 PM
River Grove, IL

Elmwood Park, IL

Peoria Speedway, Peoria, IL

Posted By: liquidsquid Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 06:37 PM
Egg, yikes. Be careful what you wish for! Full pool doesn't mean all your fish lift up and swim off.

1 day drought cure. I wonder how much this will lift the lakes?
Posted By: Yellow Jacket Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 06:57 PM
Wow - hunker down...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 07:20 PM
I shut down the trout well pump and opened up a second overflow in the trout pond to place it safe. I also pumped down a couple ponds in the back just to be safe as I don't want any ponds breaching their banks.

It's not raining as heavy here but it is steady. At least the wind died down.

I have a large highway construction sign in my garage that blew down out on the highway. Otherwise it was going to hit someone's car or block our drainage ditch. I called and they will pick it up sometime.
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 08:15 PM
Well, we got 3 inches of rain from last night to this morning. I walked down to the big pond and it looks Like it came up a little over 1 ft. We are now 4+ inches above normal in rainfall. We had a hail of a storm just a couple days ago that dropped a quick 1/2" of rain and hail. Today, it's cold and windy. Too cold for Oklahoma this time of year. Freeze Warnings are in affect for almost the whole state.
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 08:22 PM
Had 1 3/8" fall last night and 3/8" today. Most of the rain today came in a 15 minute burst this morning, accompanied by high winds. Power was lost and came back on hours later.

I watched a nice heavy band of rain coming this way only to break apart in the middle and bypass here, reforming together again to the north. Typical of what I've seen in the past few years.....

South side of Chicago had 6+" of rain. Many areas in the suburbs are impassible. I really, really wish that it would have dropped here.

Oh well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the storms tonight to drop a lot of rain here. No large hail or high winds tho....

Weatherman is calling for possible snow tomorrow and here we sit in the mid 70's now.

Oh, yeah. My pond came up 4". Better than nothing!!
Posted By: Yellow Jacket Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 08:43 PM

I watched a nice heavy band of rain coming this way only to break apart in the middle and bypass here, reforming together again to the north. Typical of what I've seen in the past few years.....

Oh well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the storms tonight to drop a lot of rain here. No large hail or high winds tho....

A couple of summers ago, I sodded my entire lawn with a zoysia variety that was on the upper end of the $$$ spectrum. It looked so beautiful, but man it was hot that summer, and man it was dry, and man that stuff took a TON of water. I have a well that I can't use anymore for irrigation due to salt intrusion into the aquifer (it will burn up the grass), so I have to use city water and I was getting water bills that curled my toes.

I became obsessed with the weather channel and honest to goodness, every afternoon a lovely rain band would blow through, drop loads of rain but would PART like the red sea around my house and I’d get nothing. It was maddening.

Here’s the funny part – on my way home from work one evening, I was driving through a frog-strangler downpour and when I got close to my house, sure enough – NOTHING! I said outloud – “God, you have got to be kidding me – is this some kind of cruel joke? Why am I not getting any rain!!!???”

Parked the car and it started raining, and raining hard. No wind, no lightening, just heavy rain. It kept raining, and it kept raining. The storm water ditches were filling up to overflow, my yard was like a lake and no let up was in sight. Turned on the weather channel and the reporter was highlighting a particularly strong cell that was directly over my neighborhood, and only my neighborhood! The NWS had issued a flood alert for my neighborhood, and only my neighborhood! It was on the crawler at the bottom of the screen and everything…I could hear the Good Lord chuckling and was thinking “that’s what you get for taunting Him.”

It was a neat experience. We got the rain I was complaining for, but the yard looked like a drowned cat for a couple days!
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 08:46 PM
Right after I finished renovating my pond (and didn't have erosion mats in place around the pond) Hurricane Ike came thru, dropping 12" of rain in 24 hrs.

Honestly, if that happened now it wouldn't bother me a bit!
Posted By: sprkplug Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 08:56 PM
No rain yet, all going north of here. Fortunately, all of our ponds are at full pool.....unfortunately, there was a 100% chance of rain for my area this afternoon......shades of last year?
Posted By: jludwig Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 08:58 PM
Try being a farmer when the rain bands split and go around you time after time.
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 09:10 PM
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Try being a farmer when the rain bands split and go around you time after time.

I hear ya. I would watch a big dark cloud build up over me, drop some very big drops of rain, move east of me, then open up! I wouldn't be surprised if most farmers in Oklahoma are now alcoholics! I've got my fingers crossed as we have had a plethora of rain this year. I even received a 1/2+ from a storm that blew up one mile southwest of me a couple days ago. Unfortunately, it hailed heavily, twice.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/18/13 09:18 PM
Esshup, I wish you got the rain we have been getting. Everything is just saturated right now. There is water up to and into peoples houses, and this is high-n-dry land, not anywhere near a flood plain. The blueberry fields are like lakes right now.

I'll see what's up with the GW at my property this weekend. I'll bet it is dry tho.
Posted By: orgeranyc Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 12:46 AM

esshup

All that rain will fill my pond for the first time

Liquidsquid
Send some of that water down to Sullivan county NY
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 12:48 AM
That was last summer for me. Areas only a few miles away in all directions had higher than normal rains, while our local area was as dry as a desert bone. It was goofy to go from our brown, dried lawn to lush green in any direction we drove.

Luckily all caught up now!

Maybe the great lakes will start coming up instead of going down finally? The shipping lanes in the St. Lawrence were talking of blasting again it was getting so low.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 01:17 AM
Still raining here... Went and checked Diane's pond and it is up about a foot, which is good... Set a measured stake to see the progress...

Radar is showing it just kinda moving NE with us in the path for quite awhile longer...

Which also means it should still be tracking to esshups neck of the woods... Hoping you get all you need...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 02:58 AM
Still raining here too. Ground is saturated. Big pond is filling without the well pump. 3 feet or less to go until it's filled back up.
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 04:48 AM
It's still raining here, but nothing heavy. The ground, even tho it's sand is saturated so maybe the runoff will start. Once my neighbors water collection hole fills up, it overflows into my pond. Once both are full it starts overflowing into the woods.

Thanks for the well wishes guys! I'll take all the rain I can get right now. The pond hasn't had any outflow for 2 years.
Posted By: Rainman Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 06:09 AM
Some major flash-flooding here and river areas are on flood warning status...till further notice....
Posted By: george1 Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 10:56 AM
Send rain out way - just getting teasers ....
Three foot low going into summer is scary...
G/
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 11:31 AM
Dwight, how much snow did you end up with? Got any more pictures? It is really pretty to look at.
Posted By: dlowrance Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 01:35 PM
Well in Central IL we ended up with 4+ inches, in some places as much as 8. I came within an inch or so in the big pond of the emergency overflow being used. I was 18" over the top of the culvert, and boy was it making some noise with the whirlpool it was drawing through there. There was some serious water movement. As of this morning the top of the whistle is visible again.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 02:03 PM
Well, we ended up with just over 2" in the last 24 hours... I had 3.5 in the last 3 days.. Some people are recording over 5"...

All river and creeks are under flood warnings, but I am not seeing any issues if we don't get any more substatial rain until next week...
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 02:08 PM
It is hard to be a duck.

Closeup:

Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 06:06 PM
What beautiful pictures. Everything is nesting here and we have eaglets already.
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 07:38 PM
I see Spoonbills, Lesser Scaup and a Coot.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 08:05 PM
Those duck look pretty cold.

My neighbors, who winter in Arizona came back up last month and headed right back. They came back last week and split again. They said, when the weather get's reasonable!

It did snow for a couple hours today. We don't need any more rain either.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: About the weather - 04/19/13 09:13 PM
I talked to my brother earlier today. He is the mayor/dog catcher/grader driver/etc., of a small town on the western end of the Lake Superior shores. He said the snow was actually worse than the news is showing, and it just keeps coming. He said they got about 16 inches overnight. The Duluth-Superior harbor is barely keeping open with two Coast Guard ice breakers.

Snow
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 04/20/13 01:00 PM
Pond froze over during the night. crazy
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: About the weather - 04/20/13 01:09 PM
Dwight, I have it on good authority that the "winter that won't end" will indeed end some time the next month or so! smile Our shovelers are feeding in the fields because the open water is so cold that invertebrate production is still very low. Kind of hard on late migrants like shovelers.
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 01:07 AM
it's unseasonably cold here in Oklahoma too. The Misses put out some tomato plants last week and they froze, even though they were covered. More cold weather scheduled next week. This is the craziest, wettest, and coldest weather I've ever witnessed in Oklahoma in my 57 years of living! At this rate, we won't ever have a summer!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 02:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Dwight, I have it on good authority that the "winter that won't end" will indeed end some time the next month or so! smile Our shovelers are feeding in the fields because the open water is so cold that invertebrate production is still very low. Kind of hard on late migrants like shovelers.

As you probably know there was a "year without a summer" back in 1816 in North America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Must have been an interesting time to be alive in North America as just a few years before were the massive New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-12 that rang church bells as far as Boston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811%E2%80%931812_New_Madrid_earthquakes
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 03:03 AM
You are the ultimate optimist, aren't you Cecil?
Posted By: ewest Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 03:09 AM
Volcanic activity caused that summer IIRC.

39 here this morning. Very cold for almost May.

The Year Without a Summer (also known as the Poverty Year, The Summer that Never Was, Year There Was No Summer and Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death[1]) was 1816, in which severe summer climate abnormalities caused average global temperatures to decrease by 0.4–0.7 °C (0.7–1.3 °F),[2] resulting in major food shortages across the Northern Hemisphere.[3][4] It is believed that the anomaly was caused by a combination of a historic low in solar activity with a volcanic winter event, the latter caused by a succession of major volcanic eruptions capped by the 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora, in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), the largest known eruption in over 1,300 years, which occurred during the concluding decades of the Little Ice Age, potentially adding to the existing cooling that had been periodically ongoing since 1350 AD
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 04:02 AM
You are the ultimate optimist, aren't you Cecil?

Nope just find weather and other natural phenomenon fascinating.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 04:04 AM
Originally Posted By: ewest

The Year Without a Summer (also known as the Poverty Year, The Summer that Never Was, Year There Was No Summer and Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death[1]) was 1816, in which severe summer climate abnormalities caused average global temperatures to decrease by 0.4–0.7 °C (0.7–1.3 °F),[2] resulting in major food shortages across the Northern Hemisphere.[3][4] It is believed that the anomaly was caused by a combination of a historic low in solar activity with a volcanic winter event, the latter caused by a succession of major volcanic eruptions capped by the 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora, in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), the largest known eruption in over 1,300 years, which occurred during the concluding decades of the Little Ice Age, potentially adding to the existing cooling that had been periodically ongoing since 1350 AD

Yes that's what the link said that I posted.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 04:34 AM
Grand River in Grand Rapids, MI set an all time flood record. Still going up!

Army Corps said Lake Michigan (at Luddington, MI) is up a foot from the rain. News reports are saying between 6-9" fell in the last several days.

Last Thursday I took the scenic rout to a project. Stopped by an old WE haunt. Looked pretty dismal due to the high water. Then, I started reading some of the signs posted. The area was converted into some sort of bass refuge, and I am going WT?, who thunked this one up! crazy

Just down the road couple miles, a former long time fish farm was under water.

Hey Cecil, Esshup, I wonder how John fared with all this rain? His area is pretty soggy to begin with. I am heading that way later, so I'll scope it out.

Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 04:37 AM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Yes that's what the link said that I posted.

I thought I read that earlier wink
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 04:38 AM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Grand River in Grand Rapids, MI set an all time flood record. Still going up!

Army Corps said Lake Michigan (at Luddington, MI) is up a foot from the rain. News reports are saying between 6-9" fell in the last several days.

Last Thursday I took the scenic rout to a project. Stopped by an old WE haunt. Looked pretty dismal due to the high water. Then, I started reading some of the signs posted. The area was converted into some sort of bass refuge, and I am going WT?, who thunked this one up! crazy

Just down the road, couple miles, a former long time fish farm was under water.

Hey Cecil, Esshup, I wonder how John fared with all this rain? His area is pretty soggy to begin with. I am heading that way later, so I'll scope it out.

Yeah let us know Phil. He doesn't have a stream or river nearby does he?
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 04:53 AM
There is a creek down the road, but nothing that would be of concern. With how many high-n-dry fields up here that look like lakes, I would be surprised if he did not have a bit extra water than he planned for!

Good argument for RAS, eh!
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 10:46 AM
Just playing with you, Cecil.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 12:20 PM
Geese, it was 24 degrees this morning -- 27 in my greenhouse. I'm afraid to go look at what had been really healthy plants yesterday afternoon.
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 12:40 PM
Esshup, How much did your pond come up?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 01:58 PM
Just playing with you, Cecil.

No worries. I didn't take it as a slight or anything.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/21/13 02:03 PM
There is a creek down the road, but nothing that would be of concern. With how many high-n-dry fields up here that look like lakes, I would be surprised if he did not have a bit extra water than he planned for!

Yeah and on top of that a lot less flow needed too!

BTW, I had some discussions with some very knowledgeable people at our last conference. Seems the trout systems Summerfelt et al. are pushing -- which are really partial RAS due to the massive amount of make up water -- are overkill according to some well respected people in the field I know. Good to know! According to Summerfelt for trout and salmon you have to replace the entire tank volume ever day. Kind of defeats the purpose of an RAS IMHO.
Posted By: ewest Re: About the weather - 04/22/13 12:04 AM
In spite of the cold temps we have new fry LMB and RES spawning.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/22/13 01:17 AM
In spite of the cold temps we have new fry LMB and RES spawning.

What do you consider cold temps Eric? grin

My parents call me from Florida and tell me it's cooooold down there. When I ask them what the temp is they usually say 60's! That's nice up here this time of year!
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/23/13 01:46 PM
Meanwhile in MN...

Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/23/13 02:18 PM
HA! Supposed to have rain today/tonight, which could be over 1", then snow flurries tomorrow morning.

While we could really use the rain here, people in surrounding countis are sick of the water.
Posted By: Shorty Re: About the weather - 04/23/13 02:28 PM
We might break our record low tonight in Lincoln if it gets down to 23 degrees like they think it might. eek

The good news it that we had 1.3" of rain yesterday from the storm that is now heading east. That is the most rain we have seen from a single event in over a year.
Posted By: mnfish Re: About the weather - 04/23/13 02:36 PM
outdoor - Love it!!! That pic sums it right up for me.
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 12:12 AM
Dwight, you got any more snowy pictures? My feet are burning from walking in the mountains and I need something to cool them down.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 12:23 AM
Okay, had about enough rain and wind!!! The new flag is about to break the flag pole and the pond is higher than it was last week!!!

This new house is going to drive me to drink!!!
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 12:33 AM
Wasn't supposed to rain today, but it is! Could be some snow by morning. Yuck!

I really am tired about this weather that has been happening, but it may just be payback time!
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 12:40 AM

Yeah and on top of that a lot less flow needed too!

BTW, I had some discussions with some very knowledgeable people at our last conference. Seems the trout systems Summerfelt et al. are pushing -- which are really partial RAS due to the massive amount of make up water -- are overkill according to some well respected people in the field I know. Good to know! According to Summerfelt for trout and salmon you have to replace the entire tank volume ever day. Kind of defeats the purpose of an RAS IMHO.

John was pretty dry when I drove by. To the East, it got a bit wet tho.

I never pay attention to that crew any more. They went crazy a while back wink
Posted By: jludwig Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 01:18 AM
Freezing rain in NW Oklahoma. Many small towns are without power up there. Just a cold drizzle in the rest of Oklahoma.

By the way, I am liking this new pattern of raining once a week.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 01:45 AM
Still raining!!!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 01:48 AM

By the way, I am liking this new pattern of raining once a week.

Amen! As long as the farmers get their crops in I won't complain about a cool wet summer! My brook trout won't either.
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 04:21 AM
Come on rain!!! I need it!

Last I checked, gauge was sitting at 3/4".
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 04:29 AM
Mean while in MN...

Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 04:43 AM
Mean while in MN...

Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 10:41 AM
ODL247, very nice.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 11:15 AM
Posted By: Bocomo Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 12:15 PM
Snow overnight last night and a high of 53°F today. The spawn is going to be so late this year!
Posted By: Shorty Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 12:57 PM
Hard frost here this morning with a record low of 23 degrees but warmer temps are in the forecast.
Posted By: ewest Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 01:59 PM
Great spring pics guys !!!! ROFLOL. laugh
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 03:28 PM
It may be hard to see, but if the ground was frozen we'd probably have about an inch of snow on the ground just in the last hour.

33°F when I got up this morning, 35°F now. Flakes are alternating between small and clumps 1"+ dia.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 03:34 PM
Snowing here too Scott. Surprisingly ther are a bunch of Barn Swallows skimming the surface of the big pond while it's snowing. It's usually done snowing by the time they arrive. I can't imagine what they're eating as I'm not seeing any insects or a hatch. There must be some midges hatching or something that I can't see.
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 03:40 PM
Barn Swallows showed up here on Monday. Put the plugs back in the Martin house to keep the English House Sparrows and Starlings out. I was shooting about one per day when they kept looking for the "vacancy" sign. @ 50 Yds the .17 MachII works wonders.

It got to be easier just to put the plugs back in.

I need to look at the Martin migration chart. I swore that I heard one Sunday/Monday, but couldn't see it.

Yep, Walkerton reported them 4-14, South Bend 4-23.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 03:43 PM
Our house is full of the purple birds already. No nests yet, though.
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 04/24/13 06:03 PM
Our new house house has a Purple Martin house that was not pluged last year...We cleaned it out and raised it before we closed on the house because they were already flying in the area...It appears to be about full already...
Posted By: outdoorlivin247 Re: About the weather - 05/01/13 09:15 PM
The purple martins really like this pond...

Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 05/01/13 09:21 PM
Very nice.
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 05/01/13 09:49 PM
Hey Dwight, how about some more snow pictures? We have been laughing out butts off here at the nursing home. People think we have it bad but they have no idea of what you poor blokes are going through. Maybe you, TJ and Omaha need to pool your money to buy a rooster. There are instructions on the internet to sacrifice it correctly. The nursing home is taking us to the beach tomorrow. I doubled up on my reading glasses(went from a 3 to 6) as the rage is string throngs. I have fished with bigger strings on my ultra-light reels. What kind of swim suits do you have up there? Three or four piece, does the fur go on the inside or outside. Maybe you should not have bought part of the NaNook family farm.Take care and don't forget winter starts on Sept.1.
Posted By: jludwig Re: About the weather - 05/01/13 09:55 PM
Going from 85 today to 39 in the morning. Say it is going to freeze Friday morning. That will tie the latest freeze on record for Oklahoma City.
Posted By: jdfarmer Re: About the weather - 05/01/13 11:11 PM
Starting to snow here in south central Nebraska. I guess planting is stalled for awhile now.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 05/01/13 11:34 PM
82F here today, but with a nice breeze.

Ran the Air Conditioner yesterday from when I got home till I woke up this morning.

Windows are all open now, and it should only drop down to 77F tomorrow.
Posted By: Shorty Re: About the weather - 05/02/13 12:38 AM
82F here today, but with a nice breeze.

Sunday it was 83 degrees here, Monday it was 84 degrees, yesterday it got into the upper 70's, and now it is snowing hard and starting to accumulate on the grass. We might wake up to 1-3" of snow on the ground by morning.

eek
Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: About the weather - 05/02/13 01:11 AM
Shorty, I'm only about 20 miles to the SE of you and it's still just rain here. Any chance you can keep the white stuff up your way? This is crazy!

I've gotten over an inch of rain so far today, has it been the same for you?
Posted By: Shorty Re: About the weather - 05/02/13 01:22 AM
.62" of rain so far here but the wet white stuff is sticking to the ground. I am sure you are going to get some wet white stuff too, it's heading your way. Funny how this mornings forecast said the white wet stuff was not likely to accumulate here.

Tonights revised forecast...

http://wx.hamweather.com/?pands=68428

Quote:
Details:Breezy...Colder. Isolated thunderstorms in the evening. Rain and light sleet until early morning. Snow through the night. Snow and sleet accumulation of 1 to 3 inches. Lows in the lower 30s. North winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to around 35 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Posted By: Lovnlivin Re: About the weather - 05/02/13 01:41 AM
Great cry

After seeing that, I looked up weather.com and I like yours better. It said 2-4", and more at higher elevations. LOL, I wonder what they consider higher elevations around here?

The roof?
Posted By: Shorty Re: About the weather - 05/02/13 02:58 AM
LOL laugh

Our roof was the first place where I noticed the sleet starting to accumulate. That was at 5:30, a few hours later it started collecting on the grass and now it's well covered.

Posted By: small pond Re: About the weather - 05/02/13 03:02 AM
for you guys in the path of this next storm be safe and remember DONT MESS WITH SASQUATCH!!!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 05/02/13 04:02 AM
I love those Sasquatch commercials!
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 05/03/13 04:15 PM
We went below freezing here in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma last night and this morning. I had close to a quarter inch of ice in the birdbath. I talked to a buddy up in NE Oklahoma and he woke up to snow on the ground.....Wonderful winter we're having this spring..... frown
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 05/03/13 10:16 PM
May 1 without commentary.
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 05/03/13 10:58 PM
Simply beautiful!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: About the weather - 05/03/13 11:17 PM
smile
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 05/03/13 11:48 PM

I have a comment, but will keep it to "That's Just Insane"!

We have a lot of muddy water here, if that helps wink
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 05/04/13 01:34 AM
I don't want to see anymore of that stuff. 80's today and yesterday.

Sure hope spring comes for Dwight and Okie Bob!
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 05/04/13 02:23 AM

Dwight, it's Minnesota! What two months does it not snow there! LOL! laugh
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 05/04/13 02:26 AM
Minnesota means too damned cold and too much snow in the Native American language of the Sioux.

grin
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 05/04/13 01:20 PM
My online translator says that Minnesota means, "Easy spotting Buffalo on a white back ground".
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 05/04/13 03:06 PM
Ha Ha! Outstanding!
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 05/04/13 04:20 PM
Heard yesterday that Oklahoma experienced the coldest April in history. We were 5.5 degrees below normal for the month.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 05/04/13 04:59 PM
We are in frost danger for plants for another month or so. This year sure did drag on a bit. Spoiled from previous years. Heavy cloud cover right now, but don't look like rain. Don't need any more of that stuff.
Posted By: jludwig Re: About the weather - 05/04/13 05:40 PM
Heard yesterday that Oklahoma experienced the coldest April in history. We were 5.5 degrees below normal for the month.

That's not true. It was the sixth coldest April on record.
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 05/05/13 03:22 PM
Dwight, can we assume that you have fried and et your seed potatoes?
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 05/05/13 08:51 PM

Okay, I'll take your word for it. Could have sworn Gary England said something to that affect, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 05/05/13 10:03 PM

Okay, I'll take your word for it. Could have sworn Gary England said something to that affect, but I could be wrong.

Coldest DAY in April on record though:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capi...outhern-plains/
Posted By: Shorty Re: About the weather - 05/06/13 12:44 AM
I went and fished a local lake late this morning/early afternoon, the water temp was just 48 degrees the whole time we were on the water. Normally the LMB spawn kicks into high gear during the first two weeks in May as the water temps are normally in the 60+ degree range.
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 05/06/13 12:57 AM

Coldest DAY in April on record though:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capi...outhern-plains/

I meant to say the second coldest in Oklahoma history, which would have been wrong too since April 30th warmed up enough to take us to the 6th or 7th coldest on record. The difference being less than 1 degree. I did hear on the radio that this spring is headed to be the second coldest in U.S. history. All I'm doing is sharing what I heard. Please don't shoot the messenger.
Posted By: kenc Re: About the weather - 05/06/13 01:07 AM
Dwight, thanks for the last picture. Everybody at the nursing home is still laughing. Some of the residents need to laugh a lot as it keeps them regular. If they don't laugh enough they have to see Matilda who has bigger fingers then Condo does when he is displaying his 3 lb.(yeah right) bluegill. So as you can see you are performing a valuable service. Now how about teaching a bunch of old goats some history. When is ice-out? How long since the sun has shined? Where do you keep your dogs or do you use snowshoes? On a brighter note it was cold at the beach so the lasses had to step up to 20 lb. mono. on their string throngs. Could you post some of your ladies swim ware. It is amazing how fur, goose down and canvas puts the S back in -exy. The ones with the ear muffs are especially striking. Well I better go, I guess you are busy making meat before winter sets in shortly. Your friend, Ken.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: About the weather - 05/06/13 03:21 AM
Bob,

I'm on your side. LOL

Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 05/06/13 03:35 AM
Bob,

I'm you side. LOL

What's a degree or two amongst friends....! It's still colder than it should be. We're usually thinking about swimming in our favorite lakes and ponds by now. I'd be afraid of "shrinkage" and hypothermia if'n I jumped in my pond right now! LOL!
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: About the weather - 05/06/13 01:12 PM
For ONCE our NY weather is worth bragging about. Went swimming twice this weekend, though a tad chilly at 70 degrees on the surface. Those infamous "cold spots" were everywhere. It has been bright and sunny for coming on 10 days now. Went from brown and dead, to green and lush.

Now things are getting pretty darned dry for this time of year! We should break the drought this weekend since I am part of taking over 40 Cub Scouts on a campout for 3 days. Better call the National Guard and warn them about flooding issues where we are going.
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 05/11/13 02:45 PM
Our local forecast calls for 28F degrees for the low tonight. Then on Tuesday the high is supposed to be 91F. In weather terminology this phenomena is known as the bungytemping.
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 05/11/13 03:01 PM
I'll be rigging up the sprinklers in the orchard today. Temps are supposed to get close to freezing tonight, but below freezing Sunday night. All the trees have already blossomed. If running the sprinklers all night doesn't work, then it'll be another year without fruit on the trees.

I feel for the fruit and grape growers in Michigan. They had a 90%+ crop failure last year due to early warming and late frosts, I hope they don't have the same thing happen again.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: About the weather - 05/11/13 03:30 PM
Yeah, this is crazy. This will be the latest I've ever gotten my garden planted.

It's again been raining hard since yesterday afternoon. I got half the front lawn mowed yesterday afternoon when the monsoon started again. I may have to finish it with the bush hog, as it is now more than 10 inches high. It's way to wet to get near the garden, plus we to are threatened with frost Monday and Tuesday nights. Water is again flowing out the emergency overflow of the lower pond. That usually only happens about once a year. It's now happened twice in a week.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 05/12/13 04:42 AM
Pretty cold out right now. Things should be pretty crispy in the morning with frost.

I have all my windows open with gusts of air blowing thru and electric heaters going. About the best fresh air you can get right now coming off of Lake Michigan. It get's much better in the boonies!
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 05/12/13 01:22 PM
I have all my windows open with gusts of air blowing thru and electric heaters going.

Trying to keep the frost from forming outside? wink grin
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: About the weather - 05/13/13 03:06 PM
It has been 5 years since I didn't have a late freeze nuke my fruit. Not supposed to get as cold near the lakes, but expecting 28F tonight. So VERY irritating. If the air is still though, for the most part 28F isn't enough to do them in. If we have wind though, it will knock the petals off, the bees then wont do their "thing".
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: About the weather - 05/13/13 03:28 PM
We finally have a string of mid 60's nights coming, with the highs close to 90. I can't remember a back and forth spring like this for years.

I do know that if we miss our late May/early June rains, my big puddle may be hosed for the year.
Posted By: esshup Re: About the weather - 05/13/13 04:02 PM
I turned on the sprinklers in the orchard last night. It might have worked, as there was no ice on the trees even at the coldest part of the morning, right before sunup. Calling for 84°F on Wed.
Posted By: Shorty Re: About the weather - 05/13/13 04:30 PM
Sunday morning it dipped down to 34 degrees here, tomorrow we might set a record high in mid 90's.
Posted By: JKB Re: About the weather - 05/13/13 09:50 PM
I have all my windows open with gusts of air blowing thru and electric heaters going.

Trying to keep the frost from forming outside? wink grin

Yeah, I parked my truck by the window to keep the frost from the windshield because the switch on the defrost blower went out last week laugh wink

Actually, just for the fresh air. Living here, if you close it up, gets nasty.

You could ice skate on the frost this morning.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: About the weather - 05/14/13 03:37 PM
We narrowly avoided a freeze last night. Right at 31.5 degrees which is not enough to do any real damage. *phew!*
Posted By: Shorty Re: About the weather - 05/14/13 03:43 PM
It's almost 80 degrees here this morning. We are under a "red flag warning" until 9 PM tonight due to winds and very low humidty levels.

http://wx.hamweather.com/local/us/ne/raymond/warnings.html#adv0

Quote:
* WIND...SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO AROUND 15 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 25 MPH OR HIGHER THIS AFTERNOON. WINDS MAY START TO SHIFT TO THE WEST IN PARTS OF THE AREA LATE THIS AFTERNOON OR EVENING.

* HUMIDITY...SEVERAL HOURS OF WITH RELATIVE HUMIDITY BELOW 20 PERCENT IS POSSIBLE

http://wx.hamweather.com/?pands=68428

They are forcasting a high of 95 degrees today, this is some crazy weather. crazy
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 05/14/13 09:46 PM
My weather station showed 96F-97F for several hours today. Switched from heat to AC around 4PM, house and Office building. Sometimes we have a month between the switch. crazy
Posted By: Shorty Re: About the weather - 05/15/13 11:59 AM
http://journalstar.com/news/local/lincol...8a47d96754.html

Quote:
Two days after Lincoln recorded a record low temperature and less than two weeks after the city saw significant snow, thermometers soared Tuesday.

Lincoln Airport posted a 100-degree reading at 2:33 p.m., crushing the date's record high of 96 set in 1915.

It's the earliest Lincoln has ever reached 100 degrees. The previous earliest 100-degree temperature in Lincoln came on May 24, 1967.

Records fell across the region. Omaha hit 101. Grand Island hit 102. Norfolk went to 103.

Farther north, Sioux City, Iowa, reached a May record of 106.

Tekamah, between Sioux City and Omaha, hit 107.

Watching temperatures soar throughout the day was very interesting, said Barbara Mayes of the National Weather Service in Omaha. Over six hours, Norfolk's temperature shot from 58 to 102.

Temperatures were able to rise so quickly because dry air was prevalent in both the warm southwest air mass that swept into the region and the cold Canadian air mass it replaced. Dry air, Mayes said, allows temperatures to rise more quickly.

Lincoln's humidity of 14 percent, combined with an air temperature of 99, meant the heat index -- what it feels like -- was only 95 degrees.

According to Accuweather, a huge temperature swing within such a short time frame is quite rare for the mid-May. Such a change is more likely to happen in March or early April.

Temperatures will return to near normal Wednesday. Later in the week, showers and thunderstorms will become more likely.
Posted By: Omaha Re: About the weather - 05/15/13 12:12 PM
Nebraska seasons so far this year:

1. Winter
2. Extra Winter
3. Pre-Spring
4. Re-Winter or Springter
5. Spring-for-a-minute
6. Summer Preview Day
Posted By: Dwight Re: About the weather - 05/15/13 01:36 PM

1. Winter
2. Extra Winter
3. Pre-Spring
5. Spring-for-a-minute
6. Summer Preview Day

Ours is more simple 1. Winter. 2. Summer.
Posted By: mnfish Re: About the weather - 05/15/13 02:52 PM
No kidding Dwight! Sunday morning my shallow well pump was froze up from the cold. 28F Sunday morning and yesterday 96F.
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 05/16/13 05:16 PM
We picked up a welcome 1.70 inches of rain, starting yesterday about 1PM. Thunder-stormed off an on most of the afternoon, then sprinkled, became moderate, then sprinkled again. It's a cool 65 degrees down here with overcast conditions.
Posted By: the stick Re: About the weather - 05/16/13 05:57 PM
I agree with Dwight on two seasons, but for me it is eight months of winter and four months of tough sledding.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: About the weather - 05/16/13 06:07 PM

1. Winter
2. Extra Winter
3. Pre-Spring
5. Spring-for-a-minute
6. Summer Preview Day

Ours is more simple 1. Winter. 2. Summer.

While weather is the definitive factor to the seasons, I like to incorporate our local flora and fauna:

Annoying black gnat season.
Biting fly season.
Chigger and tick season.
Poison Ivy season.
Stinging nettle season.
Ticked off hornet season.
Posted By: Yellow Jacket Re: About the weather - 05/16/13 11:27 PM
Seems to be lots of members from the great state of Texas here...hoping all of you and yours missed the bad weather that rolled through...looks terrible on TV and I'm sure it's worse in person...
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: About the weather - 05/16/13 11:31 PM
YJ, I was thinking the same thing. It was an EF 4, 160-200 mph winds.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: About the weather - 05/17/13 01:39 AM
6 dead and 6 still unaccounted for.
Posted By: Okie Bob Re: About the weather - 05/18/13 02:58 AM
May God take unto his fold those who perished. May God also give closure to the families of those unaccounted for, and may he ease the suffering and hardship of all those affected by natures wrath. frown
© Pond Boss Forum