Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/17/13 03:46 PM
Tough day the pond yesterday...I saw something absolutely horrible.

Yesterday morning I was about a 100 yards from the front gate planting some flowers...heard a loud crash. Hopped on the 4wheeler to investigate.

When I got up to the gate it was a terrible scene. A large pickup truck had just collided with a guy on a motorcycle right in front of our gate.

The two other motorcycle riders were frantic and starting to administer CPR. I looked right into the poor guys eyes....I think he was already gone. He was wearing a helmet but it did him no good. A few minutes later his poor wife drove up, and of course was hysterical as they started to lay a sheet over his body.

I share this story and pictures because if any of you that have bikes would have seen what I did yesterday I think your bike would be already be on CraigsList.

This poor guy got up Sat morning for a nice "safe" ride out in the country and now he is gone in an instant. The guy in the pickup was able to drive his truck away almost without a scratch.. Motorcycles just dont have enough protection. God Rest His Soul....he looked like a really nice guy...and now he is gone....just heartbreaking.

His buddy doing chest compressions:

Officer worried about other cars crashing into accident scene:

Posted By: Sunil Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/17/13 04:15 PM
Last Thursday, one of our AP clerks learned her father was just killed in a motorcycle accident in Texas.

But, as we all know, a like amount of people also just died in car accidents too.

Sad thing to see for sure.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/17/13 05:08 PM
Tragic accident. Probably everybody involved were innocents, but their lives were changed forever in an instant.

Sorry you had to see that Mark, it happens much to often.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/17/13 10:02 PM
I rode for a lot of years, and finally decided it was just too risky. I quit riding in 1976.

In 1976 I sold a 1963 HD Sportster C and my 1974 Honda CB-750 K4.

I've been at too many funerals, and still visit too many victims. Not one was at fault, but they are still dead or in wheel chairs,

A hit from a robin in the chest at 65 mph during a club run took a close friend's life. Waiting at a red light when two 15 year old girls in a parent's stolen Cadillac ran over a friend's Sportster, resulting in a lifetime of parapalegic hell in a wheelchair. And, there have been so many more.

I was lucky. I lived through several mishaps, some of my stupidity, some that couldn't be predicted. I personally would not ride again.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/17/13 10:31 PM
The fact that everyone I know that rides has had at least one accident is good enough for me to stay off.

Sorry to hear about the accident and you had to witness it Zep.
Posted By: ewest Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/17/13 11:02 PM
Zep years ago I saw a similar thing (standing about 100 feet away). Guy on motorcycle going a bit fast down the road when a guy parked on the road side opens his door which the motorcycle hits. Guy goes airborne and hits a telephone pole. Dead on impact. No way I will get on a bike on the street.
Posted By: esshup Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/17/13 11:37 PM
When I was growing up, Dad has a couple of friends sons die on a bike. Unrelated accidents. He said that if I wanted a bike I'd have to find another house to live in.

Snowmobiles was a different thing. Those were O.K.

I don't want to sound heartless but:

At least he died quick, and doing something that he liked to do. Not withering away in a bed for an extended length of time.
Posted By: small pond Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 12:20 AM
i didn't realize that so many people got hurt in motorcycle accidents i've been in some prety bad accidents on my motorcycle but i've never been seriously hurt. i can relate to the saying if your gona be dumb you better be tough. this summer im definatly gona slow down a bit it would realy suck to be in a wheelchair the rest of my live. it's not gona stop me from riding tho. i still need a way to get to the fishing holes around our house. if I was you zep i definatly wouldn't have had the gut to take pictures realy sorry you had to see that most people would be tromatized.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 01:20 AM
I've worked my share of motorcycle fatalities. Most of the times its the rider who is doing the dumb thing. I really feel bad for the guy on his motorcycle doing nothing wrong who gets creamed... The worst one I worked was the guy on the crotch rocket who hit the back of a dump truck at about 85 mph. There wasn't much left...
Posted By: Zep Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 01:28 AM
Originally Posted By: small pond
if I was you zep i definatly wouldn't have had the gut to take pictures

the driver of the truck asked me to for insurance purposes,
at first he could not find his phone...
he was very upset and visibly shaking.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 01:41 AM
Did you find out how it happened Zep?
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 01:53 AM
Zep, Thank you for reminding everyone to be aware of their surroundings. Sometimes bikes and bicycles are hard to see. Also thanks for posting the pictures (that makes me at least more aware).

Hope you and the driver are doing alright. Thats a tough situation for both of you two to be in.

Prayers to the mans family!
Posted By: Zep Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 02:02 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Did you find out how it happened Zep?

CJB....we'll probably never really know exactly...there are so many little variables....but the guy in the truck was looking for a house for sale....he realized he had just passed the house for sale and was looking for a place to turn around. he saw our gate area which is kind of a nice little paved/gravel area that vees off into another county road. So the driver of the truck said he slowed down to turn around and one bike flew past him right as he was about to turn in....then a split second later as he was turning into our gate area the second bike and his truck collided. the driver of the truck claims he did not panic stop when he turned, he claims he had his blinker on...Maybe the bikers thought in a split second "here is a country bumpkin slowing down to let us pass"? Like I say we may never know. The other two bike riders that were with the guy that died never showed any animosity or anger towards the driver of the truck. You would think if the truck driver had done something wreckless like just suddenly panic stop to turn around those guys would have shouted something....they never did.
Posted By: Bing Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 02:02 AM
They say there are only two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have had an accident and those who will.

When I pray I occasionally thank God that neither of my boys wanted to ride. Now I gotta start thinking about my grandkids.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 02:37 AM
Mark wow what a sobering experience, sorry you had to witness that. I found it strange the police officer wasn't administering the CPR, just standing there talking to that guy. Did anyone else find that weird? Maybe he was already gone?

I rode scooters and motorcycles from the age of 11 to 20 or so. I stopped riding after we started routinely hitting the bars in college...I learned quickly too much could go terribly wrong after a few cocktails. I'm still amazed I'm alive, frankly - and there's no way my son will ride a bike in the city. That's what the farm is for.
Posted By: kenc Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 03:26 AM
SMPD, Doctors don't call motorcycles, donorcycles for no reason.
Posted By: Zep Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 03:34 AM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Mark wow what a sobering experience, sorry you had to experience that. I found it strange the police officer wasn't administering the CPR, just standing there talking to that guy. Did anyone else find that weird? Maybe he was already gone.

TJ...that picture is a bit mis-leading. The police/sheriff did not arrive for at least 15-20 minutes as we are few miles out from town. By that time there were cars pulled over in the grass on both sides of the Farm To Market road. It was a crowded accident scene. Some guys were trying to direct traffic as only one lane could get thru at a time. The police officer was concerned someone might crash into the accident scene. As you can see in the top pic a truck is passing the scene. It's a relatively busy two lane Farm To Market road that leads to a State Park. When the police officer arrived at the scene she came over to the body and watched the guy doing chest compressions, but like I said it was pretty obvious the victim was gone. His eyes were fixed...no blinking...just that terrible death stare and blood was coming out his mouth and nose. At the point the pic was taken she was trying to make sure no one else got killed at the scene of the accident.
Posted By: Zep Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 04:02 AM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I've been at too many funerals, and still visit too many victims. A hit from a robin in the chest at 65 mph during a club run took a close friend's life.

Wow Catmandoo....a guy hit a bird and it killed him?
Posted By: John Wann Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 05:34 AM
I was riding about 7 years ago when I came around a corner and someone had spilled sand all over the road. Looked like someone had tried to sweep it off. It done no good for my bike. I rode on top of it till it hit dirt on side of road. I had no protective gear on besides helmet. It threw me 30 feet and my hands and knees filled with gravel. This all a week and half before my wedding. So on honeymoon in Miami I got to limp around on south beach with bandages on hands and knees. I rode till last fall when I had to sell bike to help pay for clay liner for pond. Last spring freind from work was driving down highway 63 after work when a 80 year old man pulled out in front of him and nearly killed him. He was going 65mph and slammed in to back corner of truck. Muffler of truck gave him 3rd degree burns. He is making an agonizing recovery still. The man that him gave up his liacence after. He was very traumatized by whole event. Not even month later a fishing buddy of mines dad hit the cable barrier on I44, he didn't stand a chance against those cables at that speed. All that being said i still miss my bike on nice days. Sorry to hear about these events at the end of your driveway and prayers to everybody involved.
Posted By: esshup Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 06:10 AM
When I lived in Southern California, a VERY close friend and business partner of mine was riding in the desert with his 12 yr old son. They had all the protective gear - chest protectors, shin guards, gloves, helmets, etc., etc. Denny (the son) was in front and Steve was behind, dodging Dennys' dust cloud as they went down a dirt road. Not cross country, but not a real groomed road either. It was flat enough that cars could go down it, but it wasn't on any map. More like an improved fire trail, but in the desert.

Don't know how fast they were going. Denny saw the road washed out ahead due to a flash flood that came thru earlier in the month (water was gone, ewverything was bone dry, but it was a wide and deep wash-out) and turned. Steve didn't because of the dust cloud. He hit the other side of the washout and broke his neck. They were about 10 miles from camp. Just those 2 were out there. Denny had to leave his dad laying there and drive back to camp for help. I was told that Steve died instantly. Denny never rode again, and was still going thru counseling 4 years later when I moved back to Indiana.

Kenc, remember when you said the good die young? Steve was one of the good guys.

Another friend here in Indiana had a Kawasaki Enduro. He rode it to work, and did some minor trail riding. He was out riding by himself riding slow, when the bike took a turn, and went over, with his leg underneath. He said he went to drive over a small tree trunk that fell over the trail at an angle, and the front wheel turned to follow the tree instead of going up and over. Luckily he had his cell phone in his pocket, because it fell just right, breaking his leg. The bike was undamaged except for one broken mirror. He sold it after his leg healed.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 09:59 AM
Originally Posted By: kenc
SMPD, Doctors don't call motorcycles, donorcycles for no reason.

I avoiding posting something like this, but it's true. My wife worked in the SICU at Parkland Hosp. for over 20 years, and motorcycle riders were called donors.

Always a sad situation, and the cyclist never seems to win the auto/motorcycle collision. To much texting, cell phone talking, make up applying, etc. to be on the road for me these days. Now, they're adding touch screen dashes to newer cars. Things will get worse.
In 1966, I laid a bike on it's side and slid up under a semi. I've had dirt bikes since then but won't even sit on a street bike. I wouldn't take one if it were given to me.
Posted By: Zep Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 02:14 PM
Thanks to all.
It's amazing how many "bike stories" everyone has.
I know I will never forget Saturday.
Be safe!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 02:28 PM
I think I'm going to try to talk my brother into selling his bike.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 02:44 PM
Happened to my nephew last summer. Just out of the Navy, good job, newly engaged, gone in an instant.
Posted By: Zep Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 03:05 PM
Sorry to hear that Bullhead. Very sad.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 03:19 PM
About 35 years ago me and a friend got drunk, put on football helmets and took his bike on on the expressway for a run. We were going 120mph. Somehow we didn't wreck. Never been on one since. Just plain stupid.....
Posted By: Zep Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: rmedgar
About 35 years ago me and a friend got drunk, put on football helmets and took his bike on on the expressway for a run.

Was that you?

Posted By: sprkplug Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 04:11 PM
I guess I always considered that when your time was up, that's it....whether you're on a bike, automobile, airplane, farm tractor, whatever. If it's your time to go, then you're gone....no matter the circumstances. Are bikes more dangerous in a crash than a car? I think so, but just how much control over our own mortality do we actually have?

Despite growing up with a father and grandfather who were Baptist ministers, I am no longer what I would consider a religious man, but I know that many here are, and I'm trying to remain respectful to everyone's beliefs and abide by the forum's rules....if I overstep, please remove my post, and accept my apology.

With that being said, and doing my best to tread carefully, I still hold that when whatever force governs this universe decides that your time is up...that's it.

Would a bike crash be the reason for my demise, or merely the most expedient, available instrument through which it was accomplished? If I swerved around a pickup truck and avoided being killed, have I in fact cheated death, or simply followed through with what was supposed to happen in the grand scheme of things, because it wasn't yet my time? It's beyond my feeble grasp to even ponder.

"There are times, when all the world's asleep..."
"The questions run so deep...."
"For such a simple mind"

Zep, I'm sorry you had to witness such a thing, I know it would bother me too. I hope you can find some peace.
Posted By: Zep Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Zep, I'm sorry you had to witness such a thing, I know it would bother me too. I hope you can find some peace.

Thanks sprkplug...I know I will never forget it...I felt so helpless...I hope I don't always think of it turning into our place.

This great song is my little tribute to the guy:

The Weight

Posted By: esshup Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 05:11 PM
Tony:

I agree 110% with what you said. BUT, I don't go around teasing Tigers or going out and playing in traffic either. Yes, I believe when it's your time, it's your time, but on the other hand I don't tempt God's will as much as I used to. (like exceeding the speed limit by triple digits.....)
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 05:21 PM
Agreed - try to weigh the scales in your favor as much as possible, if longevity is your primary goal, and get off street bikes, curtail dangerous activities like hang-gliding, parachuting, mountain climbing, etc. For some, longevity isn't a goal - and I get that, too. Still - when your number is up, it's up.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/18/13 06:26 PM
I hear you guys, and I understand what you're saying. Probably even agree with it. Still, I think the lynch pin of the entire conversation hinges upon just how much control we actually exercise over our own destiny, while remaining true to our individual beliefs and faiths.

For me, I was unable to reconcile the two disciplines, and as the questions began to require more substantial answers, I chose a different path. I've found that the answers may be more tangible along this road, but still yet are by no means guaranteed correct.

Either way....divine intervention, or human error, a life was cut short in front of Zep's place. And everyone who was touched by the tragedy will have to come to terms with it, in their own way.

To the unknown rider, I wish for smooth pavement beyond the horizon. To his friends and family, I wish for peace.
I also used to think that it didn't matter what I did. Now, that I've lived beyond the time I should have been allotted, I've slowed down on a lot of things.

I'm trying to spend at least a little time not teasing and tempting fate.
Posted By: kenc Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 03/19/13 01:49 AM
I have been told that we all have a predetermined date of death but that you can hurry along the process by how you live. I am amazed at how many older motorcycle riders that are in SW Fl., you need not wear a helmet and not many riders wear one. Of course there are not any old people driving huge cars and every week there is a terrible meeting of a car and motorcycle. The cars are winning the battle handily. I might hasten my departure by fishing to much but I won't get on a motorcycle.
Posted By: Ebonbetta Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 04/27/13 04:15 AM
Not to change the subject but it really is time for a major change....
I know as americans we love our cars....But we really need to elminat them and find a better way...
wether we get cars the will drive with out a human at the wheel or mass transit...The death tollreally is just too much...
I'm in ca. and the stat is that there has not been a day without a fatality on the road since the 1960's
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 04/27/13 10:16 AM
Cars are not the problem anymore than Big Gulps, firearms, or dogs loose on the street. It's humans that cause the problems, and you can't legislate that.

Too much texting, phone talking, makeup being done, alcohol, aggression, etc. The problems are inattentive drivers, not the cars themselves. IIRC, mass transit works best in pre WW2 cities where the population centers were built up, and not out. If I lived in Boston, NY City, or San Francisco, I'd be all over public transportation.

I agree, I wish there was a better way, but transportation restrictions would bring the flyover states to a standstill.
Posted By: esshup Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 04/27/13 01:01 PM
Agreed. When I was younger (early 20's) I biked (pedaled) 9.3 miles (according to MapQuest) one way to work. Because of the traffic, I'd make better time coming home on the bike than in a car.

Couldn't do it 10 years ago - 35 mile one-way commute. Now? No way. Distance and gear needed. wink
Posted By: ewest Re: Sad day at the pond yesterday..... - 04/27/13 01:35 PM
Without transportation life would be much different and not necessarily better. More people with less driving sense (distracted) makes for problems. Like all tools cars/trucks need to be used properly. People need to be accountable for their actions and act responsibly. Freedom is the right to make choices even if the choice is not wise. If we sacrifice freedom for temporary safety we will end up with neither safety nor freedom. I am now off the soap box.
© Pond Boss Forum