Pond Boss
Posted By: esshup 5 more days..... - 12/16/12 04:52 PM
eek
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: 5 more days..... - 12/16/12 04:56 PM
I'm packed and ready! Case of cokes, Nacho Cheese Doritos, and seasons 1-4 of the X Files on DVD.

Worse case scenario, I'll have something to do all day the 22nd.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 02:21 AM
I'll be at work for the end of the world... Hmmm, I wonder how it will end?
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 02:31 AM
On the bright side we'll never have to hear the phrase "Fiscal Cliff" again. grin
Posted By: JKB Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 03:11 AM

Countdown "To The END"

Looks like I wont have to go to work Friday laugh

It will already be 12/22 in Japan, so looks like they get an extra day!

Posted By: ewest Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 04:24 PM
Keep your priorities straight and remember the rule of 3s. Air - 3 minutes without it and you are toast. Water - 3 days without any and you are in bad shape. Food - 3 weeks with no food and you are too weak to care. Have a good day ! wink
Posted By: sprkplug Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 04:36 PM
I've never heard of it being lethal, but I would probably be pretty irritable if I had to go 3 months without........wait, wrong forum......sorry..... blush
Posted By: highflyer Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 04:43 PM
Christmas beats the Mayans any day of the week, twice on friday!!!

I do like the case of cokes and the doritos, but I would get Top Gear, Benny Hill, House, and something like NCIS, the X-files are so 1980......

I guess the AARP defense guys are going to pay me another visit...... grin
Posted By: Zep Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 04:50 PM
Like Guggenheim...
I'd like to be sitting near my water and
have a nice drink when the poop hits the fan!

I'll have a brandy.....
Posted By: Zep Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 05:03 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Water - 3 days without any and you are in bad shape.

ewest I actually just bought some of these and they arrived Friday.
Since we all have ponds, not a bad item to have around just in case all heck breaks loose.

"LifeStraw is a water filter designed to be used by one person to filter water so that they may safely drink it. It filters a maximum of 1000 litres of water, enough for one person for one year. It removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria and 99.9% of parasites. The LifeStraw Family, a larger unit designed for family use, also filters out 99.99% of viruses"

LifeStraw
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 05:05 PM
Maybe we will visit... But here's the real test. Would you watch The History Channel Top Gear, or the BBC Top Gear? Think carefully before you answer.

Benny Hill? That's so 70's, maybe there is room for you in the senior club.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 05:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
I actually just bought some of these and they arrived Friday.
Since we all have ponds, not a bad item to have around just i

Great choice Mark. That and a Big Berkey will keep you in water for a long time.
Posted By: highflyer Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 05:59 PM
THe UK version IS THE only version grin

And Benny Hill is a classic. It is like Blade Runner!!

And with my travels, I have a bottle or two or three from around the world that would do in a pinch!!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 06:00 PM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
I'm packed and ready! Case of cokes, Nacho Cheese Doritos, and seasons 1-4 of the X Files on DVD.

Worse case scenario, I'll have something to do all day the 22nd.

Nearly the same here.

Except, instead of the X-files -- I've got the entire Red Green series and the entire Northern Exposure series on DVDs! grin cry wink.

(The 500 gallon propane tank, which also runs our whole-house generator, was filled for the season last week -- so, the TV and DVD player are good for a little while.)

P.S. The mail lady just delivered my 3-year unconditionally guaranteed Mayan Extension Calendar Kit. It was discounted 13%, to just $6.66. If the world ends before the 3 year extension period -- I get a full refund! What a deal!
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
THe UK version IS THE only version

You have taken the pebble from my hand Grasshopper, your answer is correct.

This is for you to look forward to.

Retirees Rule

Posted By: Bushwacker Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 06:34 PM
Well, if the world is coming to an end I better get busy drinking my good Scotch Whisky, as there is no reason to let it go to waste.
Posted By: mnfish Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 06:40 PM
That is a cool product. I have never seen anything like that. Would it work in any body of water?

I would love to camo it up and put it in my pack. Then pull it out of my pack in front of my buddies, not telling them what it is, start sucking and drinking from the duck slough!!!! The look on their faces would be priceless. I can just here them now... laugh
Posted By: Buffs Pond Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 07:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Zep
I actually just bought some of these and they arrived Friday.
Since we all have ponds, not a bad item to have around just i

Great choice Mark. That and a Big Berkey will keep you in water for a long time.

Stay way from the Berkey line of products. They still have issues with the black filters, and refuse to get NSF certified.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 07:26 PM
This is for you to look forward to.

Retirees Rule

I love it!

Right up to her last hours (well into her 80s) my mother always kept a sharp mind and a great sense of Nordic humor, especially about getting old and passing. Long before her passing, she knew what she wanted served for food after her funeral.

About 7-8 years before she passed, she put herself into a very ethnic Nordic rest home on the shores of Lake Superior, mostly of old Finns, Norwegians, and Swedes. Hardly anybody, including the help, used English to communicate, although they all spoke English, since most of the help was my age and generation.

As her days got closer to the end, the state-run home was put under private management. The new doctors and dieticians put the patients, including my mother, on restricted salt, fat, and cholesterol diets. My mother, who was usually pretty calm, was absolutely up in arms.

Because of this, my cousins, and other friends and relatives, started bringing her the foods she loved -- laden with fat and salt. Like fatty pork ribs cooked in saurkraut and beer. Sandwiches of smoked (brined in salt) fish and cheese on toast fried in bacon grease -- and then re-heated in the resthome's microwave oven.

Family and friends regularly kidnapped her for trips to places like IHOP, Denny's, and worse.

Yup, nothing like being retired. Somehow, she made it to 86. One aunt made it to 103.

Live life. Love life.
Posted By: Zep Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 09:51 PM
Originally Posted By: mnfish
That is a cool product. I have never seen anything like that. Would it work in any body of water?

mnfish....I am no expert, but after a little research the LifeStraw seems to get really good reviews. It has it's purpose. My brother wants something that has more capability, which also has it's purpose, but the LifeStraw is so "mobile"....who knows if all heck breaks loose we all could be on the move and the LifeStraw would serve better than some large filtration system.

I think they must worrk pretty well...UNICEF and the World Health Organization have been handing them out in Third World countries like Haiti with success.

Do a YouTube search for "Life Straw" and you'll see lots of reviews, ect....

Life Straw Maker

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 10:45 PM
Dang, my Wife just paid my life insurance premium.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 10:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Hmmmm! There may be more to that than just a prediction for the end of the world. cry
Posted By: esshup Re: 5 more days..... - 12/17/12 11:52 PM
I have a Katydyn Hiker Pro microfilter. It'll filter 1150 liters, more with the use of a Filter Protector, and will filter approx 1 qt per minute.

Looking at the LifeStraw, I cannot find the output rating. Anybody know?
Posted By: JKB Re: 5 more days..... - 12/18/12 12:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

What about personal property insurance?

Only 50 bucks! laugh
Posted By: JKB Re: 5 more days..... - 12/18/12 01:33 AM
111100011010011001011110000001111010001101 laugh

This binary is code to decipher the simple equation below:

96/8=12

Doomsday will have a 12 in the date. laugh laugh wink crazy

Posted By: Zep Re: 5 more days..... - 12/18/12 03:06 AM
Posted By: JKB Re: 5 more days..... - 12/18/12 04:11 AM
NASA just found this hurtling toward Earth:

It's really the end!!! laugh
Posted By: ewest Re: 5 more days..... - 12/18/12 03:22 PM
That would make a big ugly mess. shocked ---- laugh
Posted By: sprkplug Re: 5 more days..... - 12/18/12 03:34 PM
One of my son's seventh grade classmates has already had Christmas this week....her mother believes that the 25th will never arrive. Apparently, today is the last day she's coming to school also, as mom wants to spend as much time as possible with her, before the end arrives....
Posted By: Bing Re: 5 more days..... - 12/18/12 10:23 PM
I am kinda assuming we ( the earth that is ) will be around next week and be able to laugh about it. When these predictions are made and people believe them how do they feel about their belief in these predictions when they don't come to pass? I'd feel foolish if I were that 7th graders mother and had to send her back to school after the holidays. I'd also have a staggering VISA and MasterCard to pay and a helluva headache.
Posted By: JKB Re: 5 more days..... - 12/18/12 10:45 PM
I still see that they are forecasting weather conditions.

Gotta trust the weather man on this, that Friday will still be here. laugh

100% chance of:

High temp of 35F.

Wind NW at 31 mph.

They are always correct wink

I know a few preppers that went kinda nut's about Y2K. They are now looking for an underground watertight bunker, but everyone is sold out or you get put on a waiting list. frown

I mentioned that Menards sells building materials, plus, you work for a concrete company! shocked laugh laugh laugh wink
Posted By: JKB Re: 5 more days..... - 12/18/12 11:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Bing
I am kinda assuming we ( the earth that is ) will be around next week and be able to laugh about it. When these predictions are made and people believe them how do they feel about their belief in these predictions when they don't come to pass? I'd feel foolish if I were that 7th graders mother and had to send her back to school after the holidays. I'd also have a staggering VISA and MasterCard to pay and a helluva headache.

I would guess, knowing a few preppers, that the mindset of some is that, well this one did not happen, but the next one might! False Alarm shocked blush laugh

I plan on having an underground facility some day. Back in the day, they called them Root Cellars! Kind of a storage device.

I told my boss that they actually found a 1600 year extension to the calendar, but it was never incorporated into the current one. Yep, gotta work Friday!

I can imagine that a few people are a bit anxious right now. crazy

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: 5 more days..... - 12/19/12 12:14 AM
JKB, you ain't kidding I'm anxious. I already dug into the Doritos and all my survival plans have gone awry. Next thing you know they'll quit making Twinkies, then I'm really hosed.
Posted By: esshup Re: 5 more days..... - 12/19/12 12:32 AM
Dang it FIH! I'm about to go to the grocery store and now I have to add to the list..... wink
Posted By: Rainman Re: 5 more days..... - 12/19/12 03:04 AM
My tilapia sales jumped for aquaponics use with "preppers" as a sustainable food source...
Posted By: esshup Re: 5 more days..... - 12/19/12 06:44 AM
Just saw the extended weather forecast:
Posted By: fish n chips Re: 5 more days..... - 12/19/12 01:54 PM
It's "X" out..........Oh NO!!!!!!!
Posted By: John Wann Re: 5 more days..... - 12/19/12 06:19 PM

I have had this app on my iPhone the last few years. I wonder if it will rollover.
Posted By: JKB Re: 5 more days..... - 12/20/12 01:24 AM
I wonder how many people will be hiding someplace watching their countdown apps?
Posted By: JKB Re: 5 more days..... - 12/21/12 12:14 PM
Darn, I slept thru the end of the world.
Posted By: DiamondDave Re: 5 more days..... - 12/21/12 02:54 PM
Or maybe we just got left behind!?! wink
Posted By: ewest Re: 5 more days..... - 12/21/12 03:23 PM
I am alive ! Just like yesterday , today and I bet tomorrow and thereafter -- I still see through a glass darkly.
Posted By: Zep Re: 5 more days..... - 12/21/12 03:57 PM
ya mean i get to go to my pond tomorrow?

Posted By: dlowrance Re: 5 more days..... - 12/21/12 04:16 PM
If the Mayans could predict the future wouldn't you think they'd have avoided that whole 'getting wiped out be Conquistadors' thing?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: 5 more days..... - 12/21/12 04:51 PM
Truth be told, the Mayans never predicted the world would end on 12/21/12. It was just the end of their long cycle calendar period.

Modern man came up with the whole end of the world scenario....
Posted By: John Wann Re: 5 more days..... - 12/21/12 05:25 PM

Ha Ha! Now the app is going backwards.
© Pond Boss Forum