Pond Boss
Posted By: Zep Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/26/12 07:44 PM

ANGLER IS KILLED BY HIS CATCH

A man died after a fish he
caught choked him to death

Friday November 23,2012

By Daily Express reporter

AN angler died after a fish he had just caught swam down his throat and choked him to death as he tried to win a bizarre bet.

The man was fishing with friends on a beach in Icapui, in the north of Brazil, when he reeled in a small sole, police said yesterday.

He then reportedly bet his friends that he could hold the slippery fish between his teeth for a minute.

But when he put the sole into his mouth it escaped and swam down his throat, getting lodged in his windpipe.

Despite slowly suffocating, the angler managed to get to his car and drive to a hospital two miles away.

But he collapsed there and died before doctors could save him.

Icapui’s police chief, Carlos Alberto, said: “It was a silly thing to do, but he didn’t deserve to die because of it.”

The man’s wife posted a message on a social networking site saying: “Only one thing comforts my heart, that I was the best wife and friend that I could have been. The best woman that I could be, there, in every hour.”

Source:
Posted By: kenc Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/26/12 08:16 PM
Nice article, Mark, it is too bad we all don't have a woman like her. A contractor tells a true story every 30 days or so. Here is mine till the new year. My S-I-L was at waiting room and a older couple was talking and getting on fine. The husband was called to see the doc., the wife turned to SIL and said that is my husband. He couldn't have done any better and I couldn't have done any worse.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 03:06 AM
Mark, where do you find that kind of stuff? Hey, hold my beer and watch this!

Ken, That's a classic. I'll bet that she had been making his life miserable for years.
Posted By: kenc Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 03:19 AM
I suspect many of our women have the same thinking.
Posted By: CEB Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 07:23 AM
There is a reason that women get like that. Susanne Somers explains it in her book 'The Sexy Years'. When their hormones fail they don't like men anymore.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 11:52 AM
Mark, I've been trying to add something clever to this thread since you posted it, but I keep getting this "You'll get Moderated" sign flashing in my head. So many ways to go on this story. laugh
Posted By: Zep Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 12:14 PM
Ha Ha....Al it is a crazy and sad story. I almost choked to death once on a "life-saver" now how ironic would that have been? I was at work and a guy did the Heimlich maneuver on me and it popped right out. I was so shaken and upset by the event I had to go home for the day. I am to this day thankful for my co-worker Joe Lemons who I believe saved my life over tewnty years ago. Would have hated to miss all the fun.

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 12:27 PM
The Heimlich does work as advertised. It's a violent move, and most people are afraid to jerk/squeeze as hard as is necessary. I didn't have to do it much in my career, but chicken bones and under chewed steak were the major culprits.

I have some funny stories about those instances, but I'll pass on publicly telling them here.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 02:11 PM
I had a piece of minute steak lodged in my breathing hole. My brother did the heimlich and saved my life. Choking is a scary thing.

I don't think it would work on most whole fish. They are built to go forwards.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 04:03 PM
I'm not going to feel sorry for the guy that choked to death on the cockroach in a cockroach eating contest recently. Sorry I guess I'm heartless.

whistle

http://www.examiner.com/article/autopsy-...-eating-contest
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: blair5002
I had a piece of minute steak lodged in my breathing hole. My brother did the heimlich and saved my life. Choking is a scary thing.

I don't think it would work on most whole fish. They are built to go forwards.

Some fish have actually died by swallowing a fish the wrong way. I know of two northerns in my area that died that way with crappies lodged in their throats.

Speaking of the wrong way did I tell you guys about the CO that made the mistake of trying to make an arrest on Native American reservation lake? He was pinned down and a small walleye was shoved up his ... He had to get it surgically removed.

Can you imagine how much that would hurt!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 05:08 PM
For years we had an active medical doctor from Norman, OK on the forum and at a few of the PB conferences. I unfortunately don't remember his name. But he told a rather humorous (after the fact) story of how he had to extract a lodged bluegill from an OU student's throat. As I recall it was some kind of contest.
Posted By: kenc Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 05:12 PM
Welcome CEB, I have been around several women that didn't like me when they were younger.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 05:36 PM
I think his first name was Clayton.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 06:16 PM
I want to say his wife's name was Charla.
Posted By: Zep Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 06:55 PM
I think we also currently have a doctor on the forum from Childress, Texas. I seem to remember him a few months ago talking about snake-bites.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 08:18 PM
I know we have at least one vet and two lawyers!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 09:07 PM
Over the last 40+ years, I've had to attend a lot of medical and survival sessions.

A few years back, during one of our general First Aid, CPR, etc., training sessions, we again had to practice "abdominal thrusts", formerly known as "Heimlich Maneuvers" -- a term that can't be legally used because of copyright laws.

We were in our main conference and demonstration room at work. To make sure we had a good mix of different individuals, our instructor told us to pair up with the person directly across from us at the big conference room table, which accommodates about 40 people.

Our VP boss, a demure looking little lady of about 4' 8" got paired with another friend we called "Lerch", who is about 6' 7".

Our lady friend worked out every morning at the gym across from work. She was very sweet, friendly, and dainty looking, but she was strong as an ox.

Things went well at first when Lerch was demonstrating the maneuver on our lady friend.

Things weren't quite as comfortable for Lerch, when our lady co-worker's locked thumb-knuckles jabbed very strongly a few inches below Lerch's belt buckle! cry

He groaned out something like "a little higher, please."

I guess not all safety and medical issues are as gentle as they could be.
Posted By: Zep Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 09:53 PM
I can't see how if this guy drove himself to the hospital how they couldn't save him. In an emergency can't they cut a small breathing hole in your windpipe and by-pass the blockage?
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/27/12 10:17 PM
They can and do, but it's trickier than what they show on TV. My guess is that Sole continued to try to swim downstream.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/28/12 12:20 AM
Icapui’s police chief, Carlos Alberto, said: “It was a silly thing to do, but he didn’t deserve to die because of it.”

Stupidity sometimes results in death. The fish was innocent.
Posted By: ewest Re: Angler Killed By His Catch - 11/28/12 01:52 AM
Doc is Layton Runkle and forum name is LRunkle.
© Pond Boss Forum