Pond Boss
Posted By: george1 Veterans Day - 11/11/12 11:58 AM
We salute all who have served our Country and those that are currently defending our Freedom!
HAPPY VETERANS DAY
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Veterans Day - 11/11/12 12:32 PM
Right there with you George. Lot's of men and women need to stay in our prayers.
Posted By: Bing Re: Veterans Day - 11/11/12 01:14 PM
Roger that George & FireIsHot!
Posted By: esshup Re: Veterans Day - 11/11/12 01:47 PM
I agree 110%.
Posted By: ewest Re: Veterans Day - 11/11/12 02:58 PM
From the 2010 and 11 threads

I recall something like this

Never in the history of man have so many given so much for the freedom of others

and

They willingly gave up all of their tomorrows so you could live freely today.

From the 2008 thread

As Lincoln said, "that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion — that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain — that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom .... " Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.

We honour the memory of brave, modest men and women who, by forfeiting their today, gave us our tomorrow. Remembering is easy. It connects us to our past, but also ties us inextricably to the future.

I stand here alone
with loved ones to hand;
my tributes to lay
on this salient land.
The voices within
as mem'ries unfold
of a comrade at peace now
who shall grow not old.

A tree gives me shade
in gardens so fine;
a stone with inscription
that goes beyond time.
The headstones are neat
in rows marching past
and the names of the fallen,
forever will last

A son kneels to touch
his father's cold stone;
a tear in his eye for
a friend long since gone.
A woman stands proud,
with medals on show,
for a husband who died that
his children might grow.

Recorded in stone
and gun metal grey,
those heroes in silence
look down as we pray.
The standard is dip'd,
the flowers are laid
then the music is sounded
and homage is paid.

They left us a torch
to carry with pride
and hope for a future
where peace can abide.
I dream of a life,
that's lived without fear,
it is for that tomorrow
our people lie here.

© June 2006 Nigel J.C. Turnbull
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/11/12 02:58 PM
Likewise.

I did get poor treatment once from a fellow vet once believe it or not. Years ago when I was in the ANG I went to a place for vets to see if I could get some training to increase my job prospects. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not entitled to anything as I had never served active duty. The guy was really nasty about it even though technically I was a veteran according to the government.That's what I got for being part of a unit that was awarded the top Air National Guard unit of the country. I should have pushed it but I found something else.

Ironically just a few years later during the Iraq war, casualties and deaths were up to 1/3d higher for deployed National Guard troops due vs. regular military. So much for looking down on NG troops.

My unit was the 122nd CAMS of Ft. Wayne, IN, and even though they were Air Force fighter jet squadron they got convoy duty in Iraq. I was no longer enlisted by then as my six years were up in 92'.

Didn't want to take this off thread, but keep in mind that National Guard troops have made a big sacrifice in the last two wars and still are. During the Vietnam era there were SOME that joined the NG to avoid a Vietnam deployment but that definitely not the case now. It's won't get you out of anything now and might even make you more likely to be deployed in a combat zone!
Posted By: highflyer Re: Veterans Day - 11/11/12 04:42 PM
Cecil,
I too served in the ANG for a time and while deployed, I don't remember anyone saying that the bullets or missiles would only go after non-ANG personnel. Funny, our unit had the best launch and on-time performance for a Tactical Airlift unit EVER in the history of US military aviation. Period. Tell that moron to put that in his pipe and smoke it!!

You served your country just like every one else. Stand tall, shoulder to shoulder with the rest.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/11/12 05:53 PM
Thanks highflyer and thank you for your service.

Speakings of performance likewise we ANG beat the regular Air Force on a regular basis in LODEOS. No wonder as we had lots of former regulars going all the way back to Vietnam vets. I think our vets could load munitions in their sleep they'd been doing it so long! And we initially had the same F-4's! LOL

My crew chief would get impatient with us other two until we reminded him how long he'd been doing it! He was in Vietnam!
Posted By: Robert-NJ Re: Veterans Day - 11/11/12 07:35 PM
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Cecil,
You served you country just like every one else. Stand tall, shoulder to shoulder with the rest.

I couldn't agree more smile

The soldier stood and faced God, Which must always come to pass. He hoped his shoes were shining, Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier, How shall I deal with you ? Have you always turned the other cheek ? To My Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and said, "No, Lord, I guess I ain't. Because those of us who carry guns, Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays, And at times my talk was tough. And sometimes I've been violent, Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny, That wasn't mine to keep... Though I worked a lot of overtime, When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help, Though at times I shook with fear. And sometimes, God, forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place, Among the people here. They never wanted me around, Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord, It needn't be so grand. I never expected or had too much, But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne, Where the saints had often trod. As the soldier waited quietly, For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier, You've borne your burdens well. Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets, You've done your time in Hell."

Sgt Helterbran
Posted By: ewest Re: Veterans Day - 11/11/12 07:51 PM
Well done Robert , well done indeed !!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Veterans Day - 11/11/12 11:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Cecil,
You served you country just like every one else. Stand tall, shoulder to shoulder with the rest.

I couldn't agree more smile

The soldier stood and faced God, Which must always come to pass. He hoped his shoes were shining, Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier, How shall I deal with you ? Have you always turned the other cheek ? To My Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and said, "No, Lord, I guess I ain't. Because those of us who carry guns, Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays, And at times my talk was tough. And sometimes I've been violent, Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny, That wasn't mine to keep... Though I worked a lot of overtime, When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help, Though at times I shook with fear. And sometimes, God, forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place, Among the people here. They never wanted me around, Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord, It needn't be so grand. I never expected or had too much, But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne, Where the saints had often trod. As the soldier waited quietly, For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier, You've borne your burdens well. Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets, You've done your time in Hell."

Sgt Helterbran

Wow! I have something stinging me eye's....
Posted By: JKB Re: Veterans Day - 11/12/12 12:10 AM
Me too!
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Veterans Day - 11/12/12 06:10 AM
What can you say after that?.........Except a big THANK YOU!!!
Posted By: djstauder Re: Veterans Day - 11/12/12 01:42 PM
Ditto to all above!

A couple of quick thoughts:

1) I say a girl at volleyball last week was wearing a shirt that said: "USA... Undefeated in World Wars"

2) Not to take anything away from vets of wars since WWII (my dad lost an elbow in Korea) but isn't is unthinkably sad that WWII vets are almost extinct? The "greatest generation"
Posted By: wenonah31 Re: Veterans Day - 11/12/12 02:47 PM
Thanks to all the past and present service men and women. My guess is that you are not told enough that your sacrifices do make a difference.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Veterans Day - 11/12/12 03:00 PM
Thank you, Veterans.
Posted By: george1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/12/12 03:13 PM
Originally Posted By: djstauder
Ditto to all above!

A couple of quick thoughts:

1) I say a girl at volleyball last week was wearing a shirt that said: "USA... Undefeated in World Wars"

2) Not to take anything away from vets of wars since WWII (my dad lost an elbow in Korea) but isn't is unthinkably sad that WWII vets are almost extinct? The "greatest generation"

It's our time to go - that's life...
Posted By: djstauder Re: Veterans Day - 11/12/12 08:56 PM
George,
Are you a vet from WWII? If so, the world owes you an uncountable debt! Thankyou.
Posted By: Robert-NJ Re: Veterans Day - 11/12/12 09:34 PM
George,
Are you a vet from WWII? If so, the world owes you an uncountable debt! Thankyou.

While I don't disagree I have to say everyone at that time did their part and made sacrifices.That is why it is called the greatest generation.
Posted By: george1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/12/12 09:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Robert-NJ
George,

While I don't disagree I have to say everyone at that time did their part and made sacrifices.That is why it is called the greatest generation.

No debts or thanks needed Robert - life has been good to me - I have been blessed!

Yep, Pacific Theater - Battle of Saipan - WWII...
Buck Sgt. at age 19 - that's why Col. Brian makes me walk three paces behind to his left - pays dividends tho - he won't let a subordinate pay for lunch. grin
Posted By: jludwig Re: Veterans Day - 11/12/12 09:54 PM
This country wouldn't be as great as it is if we didn't have the veterans of the this country. Thank you for your service.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Veterans Day - 11/13/12 12:26 AM
Let's not forget the families of those veterans who didn't come back, those veterans who didn't come back whole, and those veterans who didn't come back "right."

Most of all, let's not forget those veterans who didn't come back whole and who didn't come back "right."

Especially today, there is just nowhere near enough support for the injured individuals of our current wars, going all the way back to Viet Nam -- especially psychiatric and pyshcological help.

Your voices to congress are vital.

Thank you all for your support to those serving and who have served.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/13/12 12:28 PM
Ken, agree about the voices to Congress.

I didn't do much; 4 years in the USAF as a computer operator at Luke AFB just outside of Phoenix from 1964 to 1968. I did have one "interesting" TDY that I don't talk about.

When people say "Thank you for your service." I thank them and ask them to call Their US Rep and Senator. Injured Vets have been getting the shaft throughout our history. And, Vets soon find that the VA is a huge roadblock to getting the help they need.

I'll stop here or I would wind up going into pages of examples.
Posted By: george1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/13/12 01:21 PM
It's the American general public that needs the Veterans attention - then Congress might listen.

I agree - "Let's not forget the families of those veterans who didn't come back, those veterans who didn't come back whole, and those veterans who didn't come back "right."
Posted By: djstauder Re: Veterans Day - 11/13/12 02:21 PM
George,
Have you ever visited the WWII museum here in New Orleans?

Sometimes they have WWII vets stationed at areas in the museum telling stories about the war. The stories about the losses are sad and but also uplifting due to the courage these people (and all vets) share.
Posted By: george1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/13/12 03:47 PM
Thanks for asking but I have put all that war stuff behind me.
To tell you the truth, at my age I am having problems separating reality from imagination.
George
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Veterans Day - 11/14/12 06:12 AM
george1, Please put "all that war stuff" in a journal somewhere to educate future Americans. Don't post it (if you don't want to) but you have a great opportunity to pass on some personal and American history. Especially to your future generations.

Thank you and God bless you george1.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Veterans Day - 11/14/12 12:19 PM
George I respect you very much and all those vets of the greatest generation, and of course all vets. I worked with many friends that were in the WW2 war theaters and I heard mostly funny stories about their experiences like the accidentally machine gunning of a wild pig in the jungle while patrolling for Japanese, and getting fish dinners using hang grenades. Back then everyone of age from 17 to 35 and healthy was in the war. I had one cousin that was a submarine radio operator, one that was a Marine in the pacific and another cousin that was shot down over the North Sea and killed. The WW2 home front for us younger ones, was collecting metal and paper for the war effort.

Then for the Korean area when every one was required to serve, all of my friends mostly joined the Navy, four went to the air force and one in the army. One that made a career of the air force, was in the Vietnam war and shot down near Hanoi, and not found for 30 years later in his crashed jet. His bones were sent home and he was buried in our small home town. At the end of the ceremony while taps were being played, five jets streaked over the cemetery and shot straight up in the air in a star bust. Very moving.

I run into my cousins husband the other day and found out he has leukemia from the agent orange sprayed to defoliate the jungles in Vietnam. What a different world it was then when everyone sacrificed something for the common good.

A rare memory for me doing WW2 was a WW1 vet that had been mustard gassed came up to me and my friend while we played at marching and showed us how to do about face.
Posted By: george1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/14/12 12:46 PM

HL, there has been so much history written about WW II Marianna Islands operations that a single GI's experience would be insignificant, be it land, air or sea.
There was such a loss of life from American forces as well as civilian casualties that I just put those memories to rest. Think about it .... loss of American lives on Saipan, Guam and Tinian, all preparing for B-29 raids that ended WWII in the Pacific.

Not only loss of lives in the Marianna Islands but also the “Marianna Turkey Shoot” which was the turning point of the war in the Pacific, and the loss of American lives on Iwo Jima, which was required for emergency landing strips for crippled B-29s.

I just won’t go into the loss of civilian lives.

George
Posted By: esshup Re: Veterans Day - 11/14/12 03:18 PM
George, I second the journal. A single GI's experience would NOT be insignificant, as it would add another viewpoint to what happened from your eyes. All of history is based on what people saw, and then written down, either correctly or incorrectly. The more viewpoints that we have, the clearer the picture becomes.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Veterans Day - 11/15/12 01:35 AM
George, I agree the memories should be remembered so as not to be repeated. I do respect you and your generation. You must be remembered, and the ME generation needs to be taught about sacrifice.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Veterans Day - 11/15/12 03:42 AM
Like I said george1, don't post it if you don't want to. But pass it down to the future generations of your family. I know nothing of my grandfathers or great uncles service. Or even barely of my fathers and my uncles service. Nobody would talk about it. What we know is 2nd and 3rd hand knowledge! Who knows how much the stories were changed.

Please don't waste your opportunity to educate! You have the memory so please use it.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Veterans Day - 11/15/12 10:18 AM
The thing about not sharing memories, (good ones) is they are gone forever when our WW2 vets are no more. I read WW2 history all the time and it struck me a few years ago that I don't know exactly where my WW2 marine cousin served at in the Pacific arena. Everyone has passed away that would know in my extended family.
Posted By: george1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/15/12 11:50 AM
OK guys, let me blunt about this… it’s not about me ….it’s about 14 of my classmates from a small high school in East Texas that were replacement troops at the Battle of the Bulge and didn’t make it back.
It was my best friend that was shot down over Europe at age 19.
It was my marine friend that survived Tarawa, Guadalcanal and Saipan and walked the streets of our home town mumbling to himself.

I can’t separate reality from what may been only a bad dream.
So be it !

Thanks for being my friends,
George
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Veterans Day - 11/15/12 12:14 PM
I have no dog in this hunt, so I have avoided the turn of this thread, but I will say this. George has politely told everyone that he does not wish to do this. So, it should end here.
Posted By: ewest Re: Veterans Day - 11/15/12 03:22 PM
The good thing is there is a program by PBS on WWII. It has interviews with hundreds of WWII vets which you can watch. But be ready for what you see and hear. Many of these guys even 50 years + and a full life later cannot talk about what happened with out breaking down. We should not inflict that upon those who are still here. If they want to talk then fine but it should come from them.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Veterans Day - 11/15/12 04:21 PM
FIH said it very well. George is one the most loved and respected members of our family, and deserves the latitude to handle this any way he pleases. smile
Posted By: Robert-NJ Re: Veterans Day - 11/15/12 09:33 PM
folks while I know some of you meant well and my time in the sandbox might not compare to previous generations sacrifices...................Some things just need left alone.

George.........I want to say thanks for the angel flight vid you posted,along with fighting for my country.It's guys like you that made it possible for me to sign that line at the recruiters.

I feel lucky for what i got from serving,Highflyer being a pilot can attest to this as I used the GI bill to pay for a commercial ticket.But like all who served it was at a cost many care not to remember.

While I was luckier then others in this post,I lost 2 lifelong friends.............one of which I convinced to sign up with me,to this day it is still hard to see his wife and kids,but as I am their godfather........................................I can't run from the blessing.

Now the Makers Mark bottle is going to be a bit lower then the wife allows in the morning after this post but so be it.................before the bottle is empty I'm going to sign off
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/16/12 12:40 AM
I'll join you in one as a toast.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Veterans Day - 11/16/12 01:03 AM
Thanks George - for everything.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Veterans Day - 11/16/12 04:33 AM
My apologies to you george!!! Sorry I didn't see the "other side of the coin". Thank you for everything you have done for us...Seriously!!!
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Veterans Day - 11/16/12 08:49 AM
My humble apologies to you also George if I offended you. I have nothing but the greatest respect for you and the greatest generation.
Posted By: george1 Re: Veterans Day - 11/16/12 11:58 AM
No apologies needed - it's your caring and concern that is very meaninful.
Thank you for being my freinds.
George
© Pond Boss Forum