Pond Boss
Posted By: Shorty Sad Weekend - 08/13/12 02:32 PM
We had to put our sixteen year old german short hair down yesterday as her back legs finally gave out on her. The vet thought it was likely due to liver cancer. The good news is that she had a great life and didn't appear to be in any pain until the end was near. My pond dog "Shorty" will be missed.

It might be time for me to look into changing my moniker.

Steve
Posted By: nils olson Re: Sad Weekend - 08/13/12 02:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your pal, we have Dixie our soon to be 13 yr old GS, she is recovering from falling off our dock. I suspect her backend went down and she fell in the lake. We are not looking forward to the day when we have to say our final goodbyes, but all we can do is love her and enjoy her for now.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Sad Weekend - 08/13/12 03:15 PM
The best dog we had when I was a kid was Ginger, our GS. Nice blend of liver and tick...looked alot like your old pal. Truly sorry for your family loss.

Originally Posted By: Shorty

It might be time for me to look into changing my moniker.

negatori...time to look into Shorty II, the sequel
Posted By: mnfish Re: Sad Weekend - 08/13/12 03:20 PM
Sorry. That day total sucks!

What was the most memorable thing that Shorty would do?
Posted By: djstauder Re: Sad Weekend - 08/13/12 03:58 PM
Shorty,
So sad! That is one beautiful dog. I agree with Brettski; don't change your moniker, get another Shorty when you are ready.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Sad Weekend - 08/13/12 04:36 PM
Sorry Steve - she enjoyed a long life with a great friend... she was awfully lucky!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Sad Weekend - 08/13/12 04:47 PM
So sorry to hear that, Steve.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Sad Weekend - 08/13/12 04:49 PM
The rest of the pack must be lost without her.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Sad Weekend - 08/13/12 06:59 PM
Sad to see this Steve, but can appreciate the life she shared with you. Beautiful pup she was.
Posted By: ewest Re: Sad Weekend - 08/13/12 07:21 PM
She is there as long as you remember. No name change - it honors her.

We have one that age. That is a long full life. Something tells me she would not like to see you sad.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Sad Weekend - 08/14/12 12:29 AM
It tough losing a dog, they really are family! 16 years is a nice long life though.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Sad Weekend - 08/14/12 12:33 AM
A family pet is an important part of the family, remember the good times.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Sad Weekend - 08/14/12 01:34 AM
So sorry to see your ol' pal has departed. Been there done that too many times.

Once the sting of departure abates and you're left with just the fond memories, consider rescuing a dog from a shelter. They can be the best dogs and they really are grateful.
Posted By: JKB Re: Sad Weekend - 08/16/12 08:04 PM
So sorry to hear that Shorty. I really miss my Lab, Luna.

Maybe in a few years when the dust settles, I'll get another dog.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Sad Weekend - 08/16/12 09:08 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words guys, little Miss Shorty will be missed. When she was young she would occasionally retrieve a LMB I had just thrown back in the water, I laughed every time she caught one.

Jen and I do have younger german shorthair "pond dog" and she is quite the bullfrog hunting fool. "Powder Keg" is constantly at the pond chasing and pointing frogs.

We do plan on waiting a while before getting another one.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Sad Weekend - 08/16/12 10:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Shorty

We do plan on waiting a while before getting another one.

I understand completely. I know a couple that lost their boxer and their children went out and bought a new one right away without asking. It didn't feel right as they were still grieving and felt it was an injustice to their departed dog to get a replacement so soon.

The dog was really, really, special btw. It greeted customers (they own a bait and tackle) and was extremely obedient and sweet.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Sad Weekend - 08/16/12 11:47 PM
Sometimes when I have an "awake period" during the night, I think back to all the pet friends that have come and gone during my life time. Other than their final days, all the memories are good and I drift back to sleep enjoying them.
Posted By: Gflo Re: Sad Weekend - 08/16/12 11:49 PM

16 years is pretty spectacular. You obviously took extremely good care of her.

I am very sorry for your loss Shorty frown
© Pond Boss Forum