Pond Boss
Posted By: esshup Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 01:53 AM
The birds around here think so! I saw a bunch of Robins today, there was a turkey vulture eating a squirrel on the road by the house yesterday (it was well tenderized) and I saw a large flock of sandhill cranes today.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 02:07 AM
Spring time temperatures down here and thunder storms tonight.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 04:04 AM
Don't be surprised if we get the coldest weather yet sometime this month. Even the animals get regularly fooled.

I recall one year where we didn't get any subzero temps until mid February.

All we need is a change in the jet stream and everything will be drastically different.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 04:18 AM
We could still get one big snow. No snow so far this year. Last year at this time, it was blizzard conditions. 9 foot snow drifts.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 05:38 AM
I jumped a flock of about 20 wood ducks from the beaver pond behind my house yesterday. I have never seen wood ducks around here this late into winter. It was 72 degrees yesterday and 57 today. I cannot remember such a mild winter. We've had maybe two cold spells that each lasted 3-4 days. Outside of that, we've been running mostly in the 50's for highs with several days well into the 60's and even 70's.
Posted By: CoachB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 12:57 PM
This was the year that I finally got snow shoes for Christmas. I have almost taken them out of the package.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 01:09 PM
Fling. Fall and Spring rolled into one.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 01:35 PM
I woke up to a tornado watch this morning. It's a bit early for tornado watches.
Posted By: Buffs Pond Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 02:02 PM
Lets see…at 4:00 am this morning, a raging blizzard was starting up in N.W. Kansas, we are experiencing 58 degree temps along with T storms in S.C. Kansas, and Tornado watches to the South of us. I love this part of the country.

Posted By: Shorty Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 02:06 PM
We are in a winter storm watch here today. Depending on how this winter storm rolls through we could get 5-7" of snow or 10-12" snow starting tonight into Saturday. It's supposed to rain all day first.

The good news is that Unadilla Bill did not see his shadow yesterday in Nebraska.

http://www.1011now.com/news/headlines/83351312.html

Quote:
'Unadilla Bill,' the famous stuffed groundhog was presented to the town Tuesday morning with *no* shadow! That means he's predicting an early spring for Nebraskans.

grin
Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/03/12 02:39 PM
That blizzard is going to dump 20 inches of snow on Denver. I wonder what it is going to do in the Midwest. 70 today, 45 tomorrow.
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/04/12 11:24 AM
Woody say's Michigan is in for an early spring Woody
She has a pretty good track record.

If she is correct, fruit trees may be in trouble if they bud then we get a good freeze.
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/04/12 11:28 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
I jumped a flock of about 20 wood ducks from the beaver pond behind my house yesterday. I have never seen wood ducks around here this late into winter. It was 72 degrees yesterday and 57 today. I cannot remember such a mild winter. We've had maybe two cold spells that each lasted 3-4 days. Outside of that, we've been running mostly in the 50's for highs with several days well into the 60's and even 70's.

I don't know too much about ducks. I thought they all split for better places in the winter.

There have been about 40 or so Mallards in the pond out back all winter. The pond never completely froze over.
They are out there just quacking away and doing duck things.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/04/12 11:59 AM
Spring may have sprung. But late this afternoon through tomorrow morning we are supposed to get the remains of what didn't fall out of the sky as it passed over our friends in Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska. Thankfully, they aren't calling for a lot of snow.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/04/12 12:56 PM
I sure hope Woody is right, I don't enjoy winters like I use to.
It's been a mild winter here too, only 16" of snow on the ground at the cabin but still managed to get below zero 10 times in January.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/04/12 02:14 PM
I'm not sure it got below freezing 10 times in January here in VA...
Posted By: Shorty Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/04/12 03:08 PM
We woke up to 6" of heavy wet snow on the ground this morning with quite a few tree limbs on the ground. It supposed to continue snowing the rest of the day....
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/04/12 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I sure hope Woody is right, I don't enjoy winters like I use to.

You know women about being right, right??? grin

Although, Woody is a Professional gal, and just doing her job.
Everyone has a learning curve!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/04/12 03:57 PM
We are missing this storm, Shorty. We've got a little residual snow in the shade, but most of the fields are open.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/04/12 11:46 PM
Still snowing lightly here but I think it's about done. We have 11-1/2" very wet snow on the ground.
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 12:17 AM
A few robins are still in south Louisiana although most of them left a couple weeks ago.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 12:52 AM
I woke up to about 4 inches of snow this morning here in northeastern Indiana. When the wife and I drove through Churubusco, Indiana it looked like about 6 inches.

Part of Ft. Wayne Indiana got almost 7 inches according to the WGN weather blog.

Once we got south of Ft. Wayne it was mostly rain. No snow on the ground.

We're supposed to drop to more normal February temps later next week.
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 04:26 AM
Got about 1" of heavy wet snow here. It was all gone by this evening. Supposed to be 50°F on Monday here, then down into the upper 30's the rest of the week.
Posted By: Clayton Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 04:31 AM
Flies and mosquitoes are very confused here in East Texas. I'm very cautious about snakes right now. Weather has been warm enough that some of our creepy crawlies may come out to play.
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 06:16 AM
Nice and sunny today. Beautiful day!

Could get a bit ugly next weekend, but hey, it's Michigan.

I went up to Fremont today. Cloudy and snow all over the place. Came back to GH and was greeted with warmth and sunshine.

Talked to a kid at the local convenience store. He put on a wet suit and took some sort of water board (can't remember the type) out on Lake Michigan today. Said he had a blast (burrrrr!!!) Now he has February 4th to brag about laugh

Polar Plunges were on the news today from Muskegon, but it is not very Polar! Wimps!!! (they got more gut's than me!)

Kid also mentioned that there were quite a few people hanging out at the beach.

When it warms up, traffic happens in Grand Haven shocked and I mean, it sucks!!!

The most annoying thing is, I do not think many people know what a 4 way stop is. Who has the right of way on a two way! Nobody knows! Maybe turn signals would be a good thing if you used them wink

A gal with a cell phone stuck to her face about nailed me today while not stopping at a stop sign. They do make hands free stuff... Get one lady!!!

Now I'll probably complain about summer!
Posted By: RAH Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 01:03 PM
Talking on a cell phone when driving is one of the big dangers on the road today. I think that women have been brainwashed by all the media hype about women being better multi-taskers than men. Science shows that none of us multi-task; We just single task quickly moving from one task to the next doing each single task less efficiently. That means we drive worse when on the phone, hands-free or not. I hope that I am never so needy that I cannot turn off my phone and concentrate on driving while in the car (or truck). I am amazed that we have nation-wide seatbelt laws to protect us against ourselves, but no cell-phone law to protect us against inconsiderate and dangerous drivers.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 01:17 PM
There are people that can multitask, but very true most cannot. And I'm with you on the driving. I heard about a professor from a friend that used both hands at once to write on the caulk board. The guy was a real bear when it came to meeting his high standards too.
Posted By: RAH Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 01:40 PM
Yes many people have the muliti-tasking dilusion (see links below).

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-power-prime/201103/technology-myth-multitasking

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794
Posted By: NCMike Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 02:11 PM
I multitask....I breathe and blink at the same time smile
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 02:28 PM
No multi-tasking going on here this morning. It is just a beautiful winter wonderland spring day! It looks like we might have gotten about 2 inches of snow, and it is still lightly snowing. It was warm when it started snowing, so so all the trees are beautifully covered in white -- but not so much that their branches are breaking.
Posted By: Buffs Pond Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 02:37 PM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
No multi-tasking going on here this morning. It is just a beautiful winter wonderland spring day! It looks like we might have gotten about 2 inches of snow, and it is still lightly snowing. It was warm when it started snowing, so so all the trees are beautifully covered in white -- but not so much that their branches are breaking.

We need Pics...please
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 02:49 PM
All rain here... No snow this time and I am really not complaining!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 03:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Buffs Pond

We need Pics...please

It should be really pretty when the sun comes out. The snow and wet ground really has the half-million volt power line humming.

Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: NCMike

laugh laugh laugh

Next time the subject comes up, I'll quote your priceless reply. laugh
Posted By: Sniper Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/05/12 06:27 PM
Originally Posted By: NCMike

Me too, I can aim at a coyote 400 yards away, and not put my cigar down.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/10/12 10:55 PM
Yep! Spring has sprung! cry

It is snowing for the third time this week. It is coming down quite heavy right now. I just pulled the gravel into the center of the driveway, and put the snow blade on the tractor. I just hope I won't need the tractor chains, 'cause I'm too tired and cold to put them on tonight.

Originally Posted By: National Weather Service
Winter Weather Advisory
Statement as of 4:17 PM EST on February 10, 2012

... Winter Weather Advisory remains in effect from 9 PM this
evening to 7 PM EST Saturday...

* precipitation type... snow

* accumulations... 4 to 8 inches.

* Timing... snow will begin this evening and continue into the overnight.
Snow showers should continue periodically throughout the day
Saturday.

* Temperatures... in the lower 20s.

* Winds... northwest 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph.

Originally Posted By: National Weather Service
Saturday
Snow 27 | 18 °F

Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/10/12 11:19 PM
Snow/rain/sleet mixtures here, highs near 30. lows in the teens. Cloudy. North winds dropping the wind chills into single digits and teens.
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/11/12 01:39 AM
They're calling for a low of 13 tonight. Lake effect snow for this county. We could see snow accumulating in excess of 3" per hour....... Possible snow thru 6 p.m. Saturday......

Then highs in the 40's next week. Supposed to be 28° on Sunday and sunny.

It all depends on which way the wind blows - Lake Michigan isn't frozen and the lake effect snow machine is kicking into high gear tonight.
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/11/12 02:40 PM
They were a day off on the single digit temps. shocked

Last night, the pond out back froze over, pretty much completely, with Real Ice this time! Except for a tiny spot on the east end where the ducks hang out.

It is a narrow, long pond. Conservatively, about 80,000 sq ft.

It was ice free yesterday, and if the people around here quit feeding the ducks, they just might be enjoying them self's right now in a better place!

It is cold right now! Soon to change grin
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/11/12 04:20 PM
I don't think the deer were too pleased with the little bit of snow we are getting. When I went to make my coffee this morning, I saw these critters out of the kitchen window, munching on the periwinkle in the middle of the driveway. That is supposedly one green plant they don't like to eat.

We hit our high temp overnight, and now are getting the falling temps coming down from the lakes, along with light snow. The pond has been freezing most nights and thawing by evening most days. I don't think that will happen today.

Posted By: FattyMcButterpants Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/11/12 05:31 PM
Its kinda chilly down here today. 33 degrees right now. brrrrrr
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/11/12 08:14 PM
13 last night (or should I say this morning) and it's in the upper teens right now. Lake effect snow dumped roughly 10" of snow on us so far. The snow could continue for another 4 hours is what the weater service is saying.
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/11/12 08:16 PM
Ken, it looks like you need to start a feeding program to fatten them up for next Fall's harvest! wink
Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/11/12 08:27 PM
I think we are today's high right now and that is 25 degrees with a windchill around 10.
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/12/12 12:34 AM
We only got about 1/2 inch of snow with this system. Cold yet tonight, but on the warming trend tomorrow. A couple days of actual winter like conditions this year, I can live with that grin
Posted By: RAH Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/12/12 01:17 PM
Winter's back in central Indiana (12 degrees this morning).
Posted By: Shorty Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/12/12 05:01 PM
3 degrees here this morning with a winter weather advisory for tonight... crazy
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 02/12/12 05:32 PM
It is lingering here a bit, but the sky is in the mostly cloudy stage. Supposed to turn Sunny later. We will see!

Ducks seem to have everything figured out.

To be honest with you. I am not sure there are any fish in this pond out back. I did see what appeared to be some Sunfish nests, but they looked kinda small.

Time will tell.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/10/12 08:02 PM
I now feel like spring has finally sprung, even though my hands and nose are frozen. It is only 44 degrees outside, but it is 84 in the greenhouse.

The daffodils are in bloom. My early blueberries are in bloom. A flock of baby chicks is peeping away in a cage in the basement. Fifty new 4-8 inch catfish are in a cage at the end of the dock, and several hundred fatheads are swimming in the frog pond. Two days ago when it was in the 60s, the peepers were peeping and the frogs were croaking. The ponds have gone from nearly unlimited visibility to about 3 feet of visibility, with the pretty green hue.

I think spring is here. If we should still get a blizzard, at least we know the snow won't last long.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/10/12 08:37 PM
I fed yellow perch hydrated feed in my trophy pond yesterday even though water temps was only in the 40's. I had some come completely to the top. In a matter of days the first ones may be dropping their eggs.

It's time to catch five females from that pond and 15 males from another and put them in a floating cage with a Christmas tree to do their thing.

Temps will be consistent highs in the 50's, 60's, and one day about 70 now.

Model unanimity about the warm weather dominating the next two weeks continues; estimates put average 6-10 day temps nearly 20-degrees above normal

Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/13/12 10:09 AM
WoW! 70 degree highs for the next 5 days. Supposed to be 78 next Monday. This is really early. Were lucky if we break into the 60's in March.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/13/12 03:54 PM
Going to be nearly 90 F today and at least 80 F for the next week.
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/14/12 01:57 AM
Spring peepers are going at it, the maples are going to be flowering VERY soon.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/14/12 01:59 AM
It was 85 today and they are calling for temps around 80 for the next few days... Wish I could take my boat out and do some fishing! Gotta stay close to shore though. HAHA
Posted By: Sunil Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/14/12 02:21 AM
High 60's here today. Think I'm taking off on Thursday to go fish.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/14/12 02:26 AM
57F at home today and they are forecasting more of that for the next few days.
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/14/12 06:24 AM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
It was 85 today and they are calling for temps around 80 for the next few days... Wish I could take my boat out and do some fishing! Gotta stay close to shore though. HAHA

When's ETA again? wink
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/14/12 06:47 AM
Today
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/14/12 11:47 AM
Post some pics Travis.
Posted By: John Monroe Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/14/12 12:57 PM
76 yesterday, the shore was black with minnows. Frogs jumping into the water all around the pond and large tadpoles swimming. Saw five turtles all at the same time. Snails all over the dead cattail leaves laying in the water. Minnows chasing bugs in the water. I'm shaving an old cedar log for bedding for the Wood Duck house and I need to quickly clean out the Tree Swallow houses. Best time I the year I think.
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/14/12 09:41 PM
Absolutely beautiful today!!! Temps in the upper 70's with a mild breeze coming off of Lake Michigan. Air smells really clean!

They said on the local news this morning that today would be a record breaker, also, this March would be the 4th warmest in the books since they have been keeping track. Go back to the 1800's! GW? crazy

We'll be all set if a harsh freeze stays away. The fruit trees and other plants are waking up and doing their thing.

I talked to a gal today at a place I was doing some programming. She was actually upset that it was so warm out. She say's "I hate summer, we have had no winter at all, and now it is like summer". Guess she is a bit goofy unless you like it cold and miserable! We can have some serious winters for certain!

I'll take it grin
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/14/12 10:01 PM
Two days in a row of 80+ degree weather... WOW! The fish have come alive in the ponds that is for sure! It was amazing seeing all my little babies in the shallows showing off. Lots of showing off by my male killifish.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/15/12 07:43 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Model unanimity about the warm weather dominating the next two weeks continues; estimates put average 6-10 day temps nearly 20-degrees above normal

This is probably the earliest and warmest springtime I've ever seen in my 64 years. The ponds are going crazy. Everything seems to be in bloom.

The frogs are having a good time. I've seen lots of them giving "piggy-back" rides to their friends in the pond. They've left lots of pollywog jello in every wet spot on my property. This is two to four weeks earlier than most years.

I've been trying to get the crappie out of my pond ever since we bought this place seven seasons ago.

I took five fat worms out of my worm bin this morning and went to the pond. I got a monstrous male bluegill that went back immediately. I got a about an 8 inch crappie who went into the bottom of a 2-gallon bucket with a little water in it. I also got four nice 8-9 inch bluegill for tonight's dinner. About 8:00 AM, I brought the bucket up to my cleaning station. I threw some ice in it. About five hours later I went to fillet these five fish. The four bluegill were dead, and were easily filleted and skinned. I went to grab the crappie at the bottom of the bucket. He was still alive, laying on his side, and wanted nothing to do with being filleted.

The fish was still so pretty, and it looked so happy, I put it in an aquarium I just pulled out the green house that was used for some plants. The question is, "now what?"

The catfish in the floating cage don't seem to be the least bit fazed, but ...

.... "The Girls" who watched this whole thing may be worried.

Time to finish cleaning the chicken coop.

So, what does springtime look like at your pond??

Ken

P.S. I know that spring has really sprung. I was getting some things in the Wal-Mart garden section yesterday. Several individuals, all of whom topped at least 300 lbs., were in way-too-small tank tops, shorts and flip-flops, and were showing off their tattoos.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 12:00 AM
Ken,

Love your posts. I went out to catch a trifecta and pulled it off easily even though the smallies chewed my jig to shreds and my pole mysteriously snapped from the weight of the bluegill.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 12:48 AM
Got to my pond today. Water was pretty cloudy, vis about 12" or so. I transferred a few bluegill and fatheads to a small spring pond on my land. Caught a YP, 8" smallie, and several bullheads. The bullheads are challenging each other to see who can live the longest up on the bank.
Posted By: Cisco Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 12:52 AM
I'm going to give it a try this weekend. I've had a couple of buddy's fishing for the last couple of weeks but mainly for the F1's I stocked. They haven't had a hit. I've been busy with the house and it's been raining every weekend so I haven't tried but this weekend, it's all about the outdoors, planting around the house and pond, AND FISHING! Any suggestions on catching the F1's in a real muddy pond?
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 01:15 AM
Another record day 80°F. Cecil, let me know when you go to sleep and I'll be over fishing. I'll wear my Camo so you just think it's another pile of brush by the pond......
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 01:17 AM
That Bluegill is tremendous. He looks so dis-proportionate, in a very satisfying kind of way. The smaller eye is the icing on the cake.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 01:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Sunil
The bullheads are challenging each other to see who can live the longest up on the bank.

I'd be extremely cautious if you go back before early July. Bullheads are really tough and they store great amounts of animosity while out of the water. They may be waiting behind the boat shed to attack you! More may be hiding under cable reels in the yard, or near the water. Be very cautious. Don't go there alone, especially in darkness!

In my teenage days, before I learned how to fillet and skin bullheads, I'd just "field dress" them, dredge them in flour, and then fry them. It was always eerie to have them flopping around in a pan of hot grease without their heads or guts.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 01:22 AM
Cecil -- you really bring out fish envy in your fellow Pond Bosses! The bluegill and perch are incredible.

Scott -- let me know before you sneak over to Cecil's. Get over there soon and make friends with the dog so we can get in and out quietly! I'm ready.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 01:29 AM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Another record day 80°F. Cecil, let me know when you go to sleep and I'll be over fishing. I'll wear my Camo so you just think it's another pile of brush by the pond......

You kid but one of my taxidermy students used to be quite an outlaw when it came to trespassing on ponds. He said he purposely wore clothes that camoufloged him on the bank, and even painted his fishing pole a certain way. He said he had it to down to such a science the pond owner didn't even know he was there. I'm sure glad he lives a couple of hundred miles away!

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
That Bluegill is tremendous. He looks so dis-proportionate, in a very satisfying kind of way. The smaller eye is the icing on the cake.

Condello genes and I hand feed them daily with hydrated feed which they eat more aggressively than dry feed.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 01:34 AM
Cecil -- you really bring out fish envy in your fellow Pond Bosses! The bluegill and perch are incredible.

Thanks for the kind words Ken but it sounds like you have some gills that are even more impressive. This bg was only about 9 inches.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 01:43 AM
Cecil, you know how it takes a little while to get the food thoroughly hydrated? The process goes much faster with a little heat.

During the summer, I hydrate my feed in a ziplock and toss it on the warm concrete deck along my pond. I turn it once after 4-5 minutes, wait a couple more and it's ready. All the water absorbed, and the pellets easily smushed with my fingers. Takes less than 10 minutes.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 02:42 AM
Lots and lots of these guys crusing the shallows with the warm weather.

Banded killies
male

female

another female

Seems to be 3-4 females for every male.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 03:07 AM
How are you sexing them Travis? The only obvious thing I can see is the bars are not as pronounced on the females.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 03:08 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Cecil, you know how it takes a little while to get the food thoroughly hydrated? The process goes much faster with a little heat.

During the summer, I hydrate my feed in a ziplock and toss it on the warm concrete deck along my pond. I turn it once after 4-5 minutes, wait a couple more and it's ready. All the water absorbed, and the pellets easily smushed with my fingers. Takes less than 10 minutes.

I may have to give that a try if I'm in a hurry, but I usually hydrate the feed the night before...
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 03:12 AM
How are you sexing them Travis? The only obvious thing I can see is the bars are not as pronounced on the females.

Yes, females have thin brownish bars. The males have wider turquoise bars. That is the most obvious difference. It becomes more much obvious when they are in full breeding colors.
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 04:31 AM
Ken, the dog is no problem. Eva (or is it Ava?) rarely barks at me. wink

Have Gillie suit will travel. grin
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 02:13 PM
Ken, the dog is no problem. Eva (or is it Ava?) rarely barks at me. wink

Have Gillie suit will travel. grin

If you're outside and she doesn't know who you are she'll bark! Did I tell you about the bear traps only she and I know where? grin
Posted By: Dwight Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 06:50 PM
There are a lot of blades of green grass emerging in our lawn. It is way too early to get the mowers ready. frown
Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/16/12 07:41 PM
The weeds and grass is started to grow here. It has been mowed once. The rain next week will for sure make them grow.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/17/12 01:46 AM
I went out to one of the 1/10th acre ponds I use for holding mostly male yellow perch and female bluegill broodfish. I quickly caught 25 males and had them for dinner. I was also pleasantly surprised by about 20 females which I moved to the all female trophy pond.

No more deep frying for me. I dipped them in egg batter, then dredged in Italian bread crumbs, and baked at 350 F. for 15 minutes. Just as good as deep frying but healthier! Additionally less messy with no oil left over.

Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/17/12 01:55 AM
I went out to one of the 1/10th acre ponds I use for holding mostly male yellow perch and female bluegill broodfish. I quickly caught 25 males and had them for dinner.

Wouldn't it have been healthier to eat ony 1 or 2 fish. laugh
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/17/12 02:00 AM
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I went out to one of the 1/10th acre ponds I use for holding mostly male yellow perch and female bluegill broodfish. I quickly caught 25 males and had them for dinner.

Wouldn't it have been healthier to eat only 1 or 2 fish. laugh

No AP these are special perch. The more you eat the longer you live. grin

Actually they were quite small, which is typical of males, and it took a lot of fillets to make a meal.
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/18/12 03:25 AM
Just saw the weather forecast tonight. They're calling for 85°F on Tuesday! Pretty much high 70's - low 89's all week, then 65°F for a high on Sat.
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/18/12 03:46 AM
I am testing out the AC now to make sure no surprises are in store.

It sure was a PITA driving around GH today. People everywhere!

Some of the sights were really nice wink
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/19/12 03:09 AM
We hit 85 in north central WV yesterday. What an amazing day it was. 70s all this week with one day forecast at 80 again. I've been seeing lots of fish action in our ponds and have caught several LMB already as have the kids. BG aren't up to feeding yet, but they have to be getting close. Far more activity in the pond than we've seen in the 3 springs we've owned it so far.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/19/12 03:11 AM
I caught and filleted about 25 more male perch today. I also caught and moved 12 females to the all female perch pond.

No egg ribbons yet although the males squirt all over when you go to take them off the hook. It appears they are rarin' to go.

Got my smallmouth and yellow perch production ponds squared away today. Treated for filamentous algae and Chara with Curtine plus granular, and added some Whitecap to control and pondweed species. Then I fertilized both ponds. Won't be long and it will be time to catch and move broodstock smallies to the their pond.

Five big females and about 19 males in a floating cage are already in the perch production pond. Some brush in there too. Worked beautifully last year. Once the eggs had hatched I pulled the cages and broodstock fish.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/19/12 03:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
We hit 85 in north central WV yesterday. What an amazing day it was. 70s all this week with one day forecast at 80 again. I've been seeing lots of fish action in our ponds and have caught several LMB already as have the kids. BG aren't up to feeding yet, but they have to be getting close. Far more activity in the pond than we've seen in the 3 springs we've owned it so far.

Good for you Todd!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/19/12 03:14 AM
Thanks, and great pics of the 25 you caught and ate the other day! Sounds like that pond is really producing for you.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/19/12 03:27 AM
Thanks, and great pics of the 25 you caught and ate the other day! Sounds like that pond is really producing for you.

Todd,

Actually it's become more of a holding pond since I took the trout off line for a couple of years.

It's supposed to hold male only perch and female only bluegills as I want to control reproduction in separate ponds from the grow out ponds. Apparently the female perch are showing up because when I sexed the perch some were not definite males but not clearly females so they went into this pond. Looks most of these fish if not all turned out to be females. I also had a few male bluegill in the pond and subsequent reproduction due to the dumping in of some RAS mixed sex bluegills when I needed the tanks for yellow perch.

I will be seining and draining the pond in the next few days and will once again use it as trout pond this fall. Still haven't decided exactly what I will do with it until then.

BTW good to hear from you!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/19/12 03:33 AM
That's pretty cool, Cecil. I had forgotten you put a hold on trout production for awhile. I just remember some amazing pics of beautiful trout you were producing, but seem to recall that you ran into some problems with them.

Good to have an evening to check back in. Been running with my hair on fire (well, given my hairstyle of choice, you know what I mean!) and haven't had much time to check in. It's been a great early spring for me, though, with a decent handful of days opening up and allowing me to take a little time for myself at the farm. Hoping to do more of that this year along with starting some infrastructure project designed to get us closer to building a house and moving out there.
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/19/12 03:59 AM
Heck yes Todd, get off that cul-de-sac and get thee out to the country! The kids will have a blast playing around outside, and so will the dogs!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/19/12 04:05 AM
I'm hoping it ends up being sooner than later! We're going to be getting water and electric run in to our outbuilding and then installing an aerator for septic. The plan is to build a pavilion off of the outbuilding so they are connected and build a bathroom in it. Next step, perhaps get a camper set up out there for housing till we build. Planning to build a pad for the camper with water, electric, and LP then eventually sell the camper and maybe build a workshop on the pad once we have the house in place. I'm hoping to get all of this initial stuff done prior to summer officially kicking off.
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/19/12 04:42 AM
Sounds like a good plan. They make some pretty durn nice campers. Make sure the A/C works, I hope I'm wrong, but I think you'll need it this summer.
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/19/12 05:22 AM
Sounds like a good plan. They make some pretty durn nice campers. Make sure the A/C works, I hope I'm wrong, but I think you'll need it this summer.

A/C in a camper is a must!

I have the A/C going right now in my apartment. It is not that warm outside, but really humid.

It's gonna be 80 degrees today and I am going to be stuck in a hot factory all day with presses pounding all around. eek
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 03/20/12 01:42 AM
We hit 86 today and it was humid after having gotten heavy rain in storms that lasted almost the entire night. My wife and our kids, plus a couple of their friends, spent the day at the farm while I paid for it. She said it was absolutely stifling at times.

The camper does have a nice A/C unit and thermal wrap layer to promote heating/cooling efficiency and, after today's weather, she seemed to think having a place get a little respite from the heat would have been nice. Might have been a solid selling point!
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/10/12 12:06 PM
Snowing here this morning!
Posted By: Shorty Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/10/12 01:12 PM
We have a light frost here this morning, I hope my apple trees and my peach trees don't get bit by it. My peach trees are done blooming and the fruit has set, my apple trees are almost done blooming. Round two is forecast tonight. eek
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/10/12 04:06 PM
37.0 F. at noon here and due to the wind the wind chill factor is 13 F. I wouldn't be surprised if it snowed!

The only saving grace is the wind and cloud cover probably kept us from having a hard freeze this morning.

Setting up the aquaponic system outside seems to be a long ways off right now!

Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/10/12 04:20 PM
Getting a little snow up by the cabin.

Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/10/12 04:33 PM
I turned on the sprinklers in the orchard last week and had ice hanging from the trees. Supposed to have a hard freeze tonight (mid to high 20's) and a frost tomorrow night. Most of my blooms are off of the trees now. I don't have high hopes!
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/10/12 04:58 PM
Frost warning here tonight.. Looks like ill be covering alot of plants after work..
Posted By: spinnerbait Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/11/12 01:36 AM
37 forecast tonight in nc! Back in the 80's next week.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/11/12 01:49 AM
Esshup, this has to be the craziest year. Usually my blooms on my apple trees come on BEFORE leaves. This year I had a few leaves,and sparse blooms. My trees are fully leafed out, guess what appeared 2 days ago? More blooms. I may actually have some apples this year...and 3 peaches...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/11/12 02:02 AM
I had toad tadpoles before the perch started spawning. Usually they don't show up until after the perch have spawned. Yep definitely out of whack.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/22/12 03:25 PM
This is currently on AccuWeather:

Quote:
An April storm tracking north along the eastern coast of the U.S. will bring heavy, wet snow from the Appalachians of West Virginia, across western Pennsylvania and into southwestern New York.

People residing in the mountain regions of West Virginia to Pennsylvania and western New York should prepare for the possibility of no electricity for days.

Sheesh! I got my whole-house generator system a month ago, but haven't had time to install it! Sunil's pond area is really supposed to get walloped.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/22/12 06:33 PM
We probably had our first BG spawn in Mid-March and now will probably have another in May.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/22/12 09:07 PM
Our local forecast is calling for 4-6 inches - that would make it one of the biggest snows of this past winter season! Depending on which way the system moves we could get a lot more. Then it's supposed to be 70 by the weekend!
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/22/12 09:34 PM
I believe that at least some of my LMB spawned earlier in the week. The BG looked like they were getting ready to. Now this.

Todd -- you and I seem to be on the outside edges of this thing. I'm glad I visited your side of the mountain last week. The next couple of days could be nasty for the counties between us. I hope Rex isn't delivering any fish to Sunil! cry

Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/22/12 09:36 PM
Our local forecast is calling for 4-6 inches - that would make it one of the biggest snows of this past winter season! Depending on which way the system moves we could get a lot more. Then it's supposed to be 70 by the weekend!

Snow!???

Your Avatar is Jinxing everything! Don't you get it smile

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/22/12 10:21 PM
All I know is it was windy and in the 40's here today so I decided to stay inside.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/22/12 11:23 PM
I like catmandoo's chart's prediction better than what I saw on weather.com. 5-7" from tonight 'til Monday night.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/22/12 11:59 PM
I just came back from tucking the chickens in for the night. All I know is, it is just plain miserable outside. The rain is nearly horizontal. The temperature is 37. It feels like being in a heavy rain on a motorcycle at 60 mph -- in February!

I've moved lots of stuff back into the greenhouse, or I've covered it. I think we'll be mostly spared from the snow. But, it sure ain't nice outside.

Our well-insulated "fur-ball" barn-cat even came in for the night!
Posted By: ewest Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 01:06 AM
Big storm due for you Cat and the Penn , NY , mid west area.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 02:08 AM
Glad that stuff is staying to the west, but they are calling for 3"-6" at our hunting cabin in PA. This has been one crazy spring for sure! They'll be 6" of snow on trees with green leaves.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 02:12 AM
Is that enough to rip branches down? shocked
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 05:02 AM
From the sounds of things Ken, you'd better get that generator installed quick!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 05:19 AM
I'm curious how bad this cold rain/snow falling in fairly large amounts will affect survival of fry/fingerlings that have already hatched of many species... Water temps in a number of ponds have been over 70. If temps fall back into the 50's, I can see some mortality.
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 11:47 AM
Water temps here have done almost that. They were in the high 60's and last Friday I measured 57.5°F. The LMB and BG haven't spawned yet, and they are calling for cold the next 8 days. Heavy frost this morning.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 12:00 PM
Just light patchy frost here this morning.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 12:11 PM
No real snow overnight at all in Murrysville, PA.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 12:51 PM
Just "yuck" so far. Windy, with slush falling out of the sky. Nothing to speak of on the ground, but places like my deck, roof tops, etc., all have about an inch of slush. But the advisory goes until tomorrow morning at 5:00 AM. The fur-ball barn cat went out for about 2 minutes and wanted right back in.

The pond is kind of pretty. It is steaming!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 05:49 PM
Nothing here today, either. Just empty promises from the doggone weather guy. Had a snow/rain mix earlier today and then it turned to just a straight out cold rain. Not doing anything right now other than looking like crap outside and being chilly with temps in the mid-30s for the day. Staying cooler for several days, 50s and 60s, but the sun comes back and temps begin to creep back up by the weekend.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 06:04 PM
And here in Oklahoma, we are going to 90 F by Wednesday.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/23/12 09:08 PM
Crazy weather no doubt!
Posted By: JKB Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/24/12 09:57 AM
We may be getting snow this weekend.
Hope they are wrong.
Still have 4 weeks to go before the danger of frost is over.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/26/12 03:31 AM
It was over 100 in parts of Oklahoma today. 93 here today
Posted By: esshup Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/26/12 04:04 AM
55 here.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Has Spring Sprung? - 04/26/12 07:38 AM
We were rather chilly right around freezing this morning but got into the 70's today. Just let the dog out at 3 am and it was still 64 degrees out. I noticed much less fish activity today after all that cold rain. Water temps dropped back into the upper 50's.
© Pond Boss Forum