Pond Boss
Posted By: dennis mcclain lure color - 12/12/11 04:50 PM
Hey guys
I'm trying my hand at carving my own wooden baits. My first one is going to be a top water bait. I modeled it after the Spook.
My question is, what color combination would you guys suggests? I know there are different colors that will work in different circumstances. But what would be your "go to" color for a bait like this?
Posted By: george1 Re: lure color - 12/12/11 05:22 PM
Here's a few I "carved" out a number of years ago - maybe help on color ..
Good luck and have fun.
George

Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: lure color - 12/12/11 05:49 PM
Thanks George
How do you get the honeycomb pattern on them?
Posted By: george1 Re: lure color - 12/12/11 09:44 PM
Various size netting material - encase over lure body and spray over undercoat. IIRC I found that netting in my wife's sewing basket.
Google up lure making - there's tons of stuff - Jannnetcraft comes to mind - also Barlows Tackle Shop
Posted By: the stick Re: lure color - 12/12/11 10:13 PM
Great looking lures, George. Are topwaters your favorite way to fish? Those are all good colors to shoot for.
Posted By: Bing Re: lure color - 12/12/11 10:36 PM
Great lures George
Posted By: george1 Re: lure color - 12/12/11 11:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Bing
Great lures George

Originally Posted By: the stick
Great looking lures, George. Are topwaters your favorite way to fish? Those are all good colors to shoot for.

Thanks guys, those old lures bring back a lot of memories.
Primarily striped bass lures but good LMB as well.

Stick, topwater probably my favorite way to fish, but not necessarily most productive. Big ole striper blowing up on a big plug makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck ... grin
I say not most productive - should say for biggest fish - sometimes the big Moes will hang out deeper and let the schoolies kill the shad and easy picking on crippled shad... cool
Posted By: ewest Re: lure color - 12/13/11 02:19 AM
Notice that all of George's above are some variety of silver. A good hint there.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: lure color - 12/13/11 04:46 AM
I like black topwater lures. Lots of contrast...
Posted By: george1 Re: lure color - 12/13/11 12:34 PM
Yeah Travis, you are right on about black lures, whether topwater or sub-surface - IF - off color water, cloudy or night time.
Eric has it right about a "hint" of silver - IF - clearer water conditions and sunny skies,
Another favorite color of mine is - "if it aint Chartreuse - it aint no use"... grin

I want my lures or flies bigger, brighter, noisy and crippled.
Color should be selected on water and weather conditions (IMO) whistle
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: lure color - 12/13/11 01:28 PM
ok im thinking white with a red throat fading to a darker top, with sparkles ( flakes) on the sides, and large pupil eyes

how does that sound?
Posted By: george1 Re: lure color - 12/13/11 03:41 PM
NICE!!!!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: lure color - 12/14/11 12:31 AM
"If it aint Chartreuse, it aint no use"... That is the sayin' I hear all the time for fishing for stripers or as they call them rockfish in the Chesapeake Bay.

Impossible to do with a wooden lure, but one of my favorite lures of all time was the completely clear plastic Tiny Torpedo Heddon used to make. Last I checked they stopped making that color.
Posted By: jludwig Re: lure color - 12/14/11 01:30 AM
When fishing for stripers on Lake Texoma, chartreuse most of the time outperforms all other colors.

Topwater fishing is the best. My favorite is a baby bass color. It is dark green with a little black on top. Surprisingly, this lure works well on surfacing stripers during the summer too.
Posted By: george1 Re: lure color - 12/14/11 12:06 PM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
"If it aint Chartreuse, it aint no use"... That is the sayin' I hear all the time for fishing for stripers or as they call them rockfish in the Chesapeake Bay.

Impossible to do with a wooden lure, but one of my favorite lures of all time was the completely clear plastic Tiny Torpedo Heddon used to make. Last I checked they stopped making that color.

Travis, my favorite lures for fishing the rocky bluff banks on Lake Texoma are 1/2oz buck tail jigs with white chartreuse spilt tail plastic trailer …. if it aint chartreuse ... aw you know ... grin
Posted By: george1 Re: lure color - 12/14/11 12:12 PM
Originally Posted By: jludwig
When fishing for stripers on Lake Texoma, chartreuse most of the time outperforms all other colors.

Topwater fishing is the best. My favorite is a baby bass color. It is dark green with a little black on top. Surprisingly, this lure works well on surfacing stripers during the summer too.

jludwig, glad to find another Texoma striper fisherman!!!
Fished "big windy" for 20 years sometimes as many as 100 times a year before I got too old and found pond HSB more fun anyway ... cool

Good SMB lake as well!

Pardon the "Condello" photo technique SMB pose .... grin
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: lure color - 12/14/11 06:16 PM
This is going to be a christmas present for my future father in law. So im going to package it up like a store bought lure. I've even come up with a name for my "lure company".

"Bite Me" Lures

I'll submit a pic when im through
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: lure color - 12/14/11 08:06 PM
Those are awesome baits, George. You never cease to amaze...
Posted By: george1 Re: lure color - 12/14/11 09:01 PM
Thanks T.J. but you give me too much credit ... most of the stuff I try to do ends up in the trash basket.... grin
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: lure color - 12/14/11 09:16 PM
Send your rejects this way! Will provide fed ex acct number!
Posted By: esshup Re: lure color - 12/15/11 04:17 AM
Dennis, I'm pretty sure there is a real lure company by that name. (or there used to be!)
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: lure color - 12/15/11 03:32 PM
There sure is, just googled it. its bite me bait company.
Posted By: the stick Re: lure color - 12/15/11 08:56 PM
I have one of their T-shirts.
Posted By: Dwight Re: lure color - 12/15/11 09:43 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Get that Fedex account # to me. I have all kinds of sinkers I could send you.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: lure color - 12/17/11 07:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Dwight

I would like the number as well.....

....the Sock Puppet of the Month Club will ship via FedEx. laugh
Posted By: Dwight Re: lure color - 12/17/11 10:10 PM
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Originally Posted By: Dwight

I would like the number as well.....

....the Sock Puppet of the Month Club will ship via FedEx. laugh

If the number were just posted on the forum think of all the cool stuff that would be arriving daily.
Posted By: dennis mcclain Re: lure color - 12/20/11 03:01 PM
ok here is a pic.

Attached picture bait.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: lure color - 12/20/11 03:20 PM
That looks good Dennis!
Posted By: jludwig Re: lure color - 12/21/11 12:56 AM
Sorry George, your post slipped by me during finals week. Lake Texoma is great, we don't make it down there as much as we would like living three hours away. It is considered a success if we make it down there once a year. We try to go in July or August when the fish are surfacing. We just go to fish for stripers.
Posted By: george1 Re: lure color - 12/21/11 01:04 PM
Originally Posted By: dennis mcclain
ok here is a pic.

NICE!
Posted By: george1 Re: lure color - 12/21/11 01:05 PM
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Sorry George, your post slipped by me during finals week. Lake Texoma is great, we don't make it down there as much as we would like living three hours away. It is considered a success if we make it down there once a year. We try to go in July or August when the fish are surfacing. We just go to fish for stripers.

July and August - great topwater!
Posted By: Theatrain Re: lure color - 12/25/11 05:23 PM
I would go with more of a white with black flake. So shad colored. Depends where your fishing. The best time to throw the spook is during a shad spawn, beginning of the year, early spring, and during a cold front.
Water clarity is also a key factor. If your fishing relatively clear water, natural colors, such as a shad color are great choices. If your fishing muddy, less clear water, less natural, brighter colors are better, such as firetiger.
Hope that helped!!
© Pond Boss Forum