Pond Boss
Posted By: Brettski Japan devastation - 03/11/11 07:10 PM
go to Youtube and search Japan earthquake 2011
OMG
Posted By: Omaha Re: Japan devastation - 03/11/11 07:23 PM
Very disturbing. My thoughts and prayers with those effected. frown
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Japan devastation - 03/11/11 08:04 PM
8.9 and the biggest in our lifetime? Wow! What a tragedy. frown

Of course this is all the cable news networks our reporting right now, which is par for the course. If any of our serviceman get killed overseas we won't hear about it or it will be just a blib on the screen, and right now Kaddafy is annihilating his people so we probably won't hear about that either.

Sorry, the myopic journalism we see these days along with all the editorializing is one of my biggest pet peeves. mad Even Walter Cronkite agreed with me.
Posted By: ewest Re: Japan devastation - 03/11/11 09:37 PM
Mother earth burps and millions of people are affected. The forces at work are incredible. Bless the lost and suffering. But for the grace of God there go I (we).

Might be a good time for those in the area to stay out in the open on high ground.
Posted By: esshup Re: Japan devastation - 03/12/11 01:38 AM
I see where someone was at the mouth of the Klamath River in Oregon taking pictures and was swept away. Not much hope according to the report, cold water and rough seas.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Japan devastation - 03/13/11 09:18 PM
My wife and I had been in the Philippines for a while. We stayed in Japan overnight on the way back. Our flight left Japan about 3 hours before the earthquake hit. We were lucky.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Japan devastation - 03/13/11 11:05 PM
That was close to the bone, Jeff.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: Japan devastation - 03/15/11 02:55 AM
Yep. Our flight from Chicago to the Philippines via short layover in Japan was delayed due to snow in Chicago. I had a flight today from St. Louis to Washington DC for a meeting cancelled due to snow. Good thing for us that our flight back to the USA from the Philippines with an overnight layover in Japan was not delayed in Japan.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Japan devastation - 03/15/11 03:33 AM
Anyone hear how Heybud's kids are? IIRC his kid is deployed in Japan.

My daughter, SIL and 2 grand peeps are due to deploy there in May for 5 years.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Japan devastation - 03/15/11 05:46 AM
Fourth reactor in trouble now:

Japan nuclear crisis deepens
Radiation levels up; fire at 4th reactor

Japanese authorities trying to stave off meltdowns at a quake-damaged nuclear power plant reported more grim news as radiation levels soared.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/14/japan.disaster/index.html?hpt=T1

Four reactors now? Unbelieveable! I see the earthquake has been upgraded to a 9.0. Only one in modern history bigger I think.

If even one of these melts down there will be radiation spanning the Pacific to BC, the Gulf of Alaska and California and beyond.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Japan devastation - 03/15/11 12:10 PM
I could be wrong, but I think heybud's one son is not deployed but is working in Japan. Hopefully, he is safe.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Japan devastation - 03/15/11 01:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Check this out regarding that map.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/technology/fallout.asp

http://www.theweatherspace.com/news/TWS-3_12_2011_fakeimage.html

Quote:
A hoax is going around the Internet about a nuclear fallout map, which kills people in the Western United States.

The hoax is going around and has caught a few off guard. The Australian Radiation Services did not issue a fallout map that reaches the Western United States, including Canada.

There is not much to say about this other than it is a hoax. TWS has corrected and pulled the article.

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Japan devastation - 03/15/11 03:58 PM
Thanks Shorty! Sorry to have posted that if it's a hoax! Snopes is a great source of info!

There would be some fallout wouldn't there with the prevailing westerlies? Never assumed it would be enough to kill anyone though.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Japan devastation - 03/15/11 04:41 PM
We'll have to wait and see.
Posted By: heybud Re: Japan devastation - 03/17/11 09:03 PM
My son lives in the town of Nishio City, which is south of Tokyo and about 300 miles from the nuclear plant. Nishio is close to Nagoya, a very large city. The US govt is asking people at the Nagoya embassy to leave Japan. 300 miles will not be far enough if the nuke plant doesn't hold. My son won't leave because his Japanese fiance more than likely won't be able to leave with him on a US govt sponsored flight. Getting a commercial flight is almost impossible right now. He does have emeregency supplies and a safe house to go to. Pleas keep him in your thoughts and prayers and also all the people of Japan. Sorry I haven't checked in but we are busy monitoring the situation and trying to help my son with any plans should they need to leave the country on short notice. He works and has lived in Japan for almost 7 years,
Posted By: ewest Re: Japan devastation - 03/17/11 09:12 PM
Best of luck heybud. I hope he can get as far away as possible and away from the prevailing winds. Keep us posted as good info is next to impossible to get.

Suggest you guys look at heybud's thread on his trip

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=158903&page=1
Posted By: Dwight Re: Japan devastation - 03/17/11 09:42 PM
Heybud, We are with you and your family.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Japan devastation - 03/18/11 12:12 PM
Prayers coming.
Posted By: george1 Re: Japan devastation - 03/18/11 01:25 PM
Heybud, prayers and support from the Glazener's!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Japan devastation - 03/18/11 01:42 PM
Heybud, you know you and all of your family have a lot of support and prayers being generated here. You have to respect a man that won't leave the side of the woman he made a commitment to!

My son-in-laws deployment orders to Japan were cancelled yesterday. He was wanting them moved up so he could help in any way possible with the devastation...But as a parent and grandparent, I am thrilled with the cancellation!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Japan devastation - 03/18/11 03:00 PM
Left coast prayers for your Son and his family Larry.
Posted By: heybud Re: Japan devastation - 03/18/11 03:09 PM
Thanks everyone for thoughts an prayers. My son and fiance have decided to go further south in Japan, down where he used to live, to put a little distance between them and the Fukushima nulcear reactor. He is on spring break from his job so hopefully when it's time to come back to work things will calm down some.
Posted By: esshup Re: Japan devastation - 03/18/11 03:12 PM
Prayers from Indiana as well. If things do turn for the worse, hopefully it will be easier to get a flight out of there, further away from the danger zone.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Japan devastation - 03/18/11 03:36 PM
Your son probably knows a lot of people in Japan, but I have an office in Hiroshima City, and if they can help in anyway, drop me a line.
Posted By: zander Re: Japan devastation - 03/18/11 10:32 PM
If anyone wants to donate to help but not sure how, Red Cross makes it easy to do. Go to their website and you can earmark it for Japan and do a secure online donation. Minimum is 10$.
© Pond Boss Forum