Pond Boss
Posted By: Sunil Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 08:20 PM
An email from Rex's wife, Cathy:

"Sunil /Bruce -

Since I really don't know how or where to post on pond boss, I thought it would be easier to just email you both. I wanted to relay that Rex has been in the hospital since Sunday morning. At this point, they think he has had a severe reaction to the Biacin he was taking. It has affected his heart & at first they thought he had a heart attack. It does appear at the very least he may still have an infection (bacterial and/or viral) that is still affecting his heart.

While the fever is not gone, it seems to be contained at this point. He is still in A-Fib, however....his heart rate is all over the board. He was going at 180+ for a while. He also normally has low blood pressure, but that has dropped to dangerous levels at times - so they couldn't give him nitro to lower the heart rate. Last night we were both afraid he wasn't going to make it through the night, because he couldn't breath.

Thankfully, some of the drugs eased some of his breathing & compared to the past few days is MUCH better. Of course, he's still kind of a mess. The arterial scope was clean & his heart & ateries are in great shape. He has a leakage in one valve, but the heart doctor thinks its from the stress his heart is under. They are planning to do a Lumbar puncture today as he has had meningitis symptoms - which is a rare side effect of Biacin. They are also planning to shock his heart tomorrow to try to get it back to a normal rythmn - they were going to do that today, but they want him on antibiotics for another day.

Seems like this is an awfully long email, but trust me, I haven't even scratched the surface of all of the symptoms he's had over the past few days. Even he wanted Dr. House to look at him .

I do know you & all of his friends on Pond Boss were there for him when I was sick and I wanted to let everyone know why he hasn't "been around". I have tried to reply to any business related emails for him. If you could let anyone the board know in case people are waiting for responses, I'd really appreciate it.

While he is being his typical stubborn self and I expect him to be back on the PC as soon as he can, please keep him in your prayers.

Thanks!
Cathy"

I'll send her a note asking for some information especially where Rex is at.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 08:24 PM
Thanks, Sunil. Keep us updated.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 08:36 PM
Definitely praying for you Rex. You too Cathy!
Posted By: ewest Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 09:27 PM
Hang in there Rex we all need for you to get well - we need some fish.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 09:43 PM
We know that Rex is tough as nails.

When Mason bit Rex, Rex bit Mason right back.
Posted By: Bing Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 09:47 PM
Rex is "the Man". We need him back soon.

Bing
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 09:48 PM
Rex,

I'll be praying for you buddy!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 09:57 PM
Many prayers from Omaha.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 10:12 PM
Rex, do what those doctors tell you. Take care and hurry back to visit with us.
Prayers from W GA.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 10:18 PM
Hey Rex,

It wasn't long ago I didn't even know who you were until the PBC last year. You took the time to talk with me and you had no clue who I was. You always try and help me on this forum as best you can too. I apprecaite every thing you do and who you are! Your a good man Rex get better buddy and I am sorry to hear your down. We'll be praying for ya bud!

God Bless,
Posted By: cougar Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 10:35 PM

I hate to hear of Rex's troubles. I agree with the others...it's gonna take more than a reaction to keep him down...

Rex--looking forward to feeding those bass you brought me some tilapia in the future!!

Keep your head up buddy!

Will remember you in my prayers.

Matt
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 11:28 PM
You can't find a nicer guy! Hang in there Rex, hope you are feeling better and back on here soon.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 11:34 PM
Rex our prayers are with you, don't push yourself, take time to heal.
Posted By: george1 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 11:39 PM
Rex, prayers sent from the Glazeners.
Get well soon my friend.
Posted By: JoeG Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/10/10 11:53 PM
I've only ever been aquainted with Rex and his ideas via the board, but he seems like a boot strap pulling, no nonsense, can do sort of man, I am sure he will be back in them boots and banging around this board before long. I as well as all others with you the best Rex.
Posted By: Bullhead Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 12:49 AM
Don't worry, I don't really think that swimming goats are superior to tilapia.
Posted By: bbjr Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 12:57 AM
I'm praying for you too, Rex. Get better soon, and get some much needed rest.

In all honesty, though, after some of the things Rex has been through, this may be a jog in the park for him.
Posted By: Attica Farmer Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 01:13 AM
I've only been on the boards for a short time but if you all share a concern for Rex that tells me he must be a stand up guy. I too will say a prayer

Is it possible for someone close to him and his family to see if theres something more we can do to help out ? Prayers will go a long way in my opinion but sometimes even a simple card touches the soul.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 01:24 AM
AF, I'm working on getting an address for where Rex is staying. I sent Cathy a reply requesting the same, but of course, that's passive.

I haven't resorted to trying to call his cell phone.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 01:26 AM
Wow, that sounds really nasty.

Sunil -- thank you for posting this. As a moderator, would it be possible for you to send PMs or e-mails to many of us, with an address where we can send a note, flowers, etc? or an e-mail address where we can send a note to Cathy and Rex?

Rex is way too young to have these kinds issues. We gotta take better care of that boy! You just never know when any one of us may need to have a PVC muskrat taken out of our pond!

Cathy - Rex, if you are reading this, you've got a lot of Pond Boss people pulling for you. I know you know this group. Please don't be afraid to ask for any kind of assistance.

Ken and Lynda
Posted By: heybud Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 02:01 AM
Ok Rex, Quit messing around and get better soon. You are a tough dude and we know you will conquer this soon. Praying for you buddy
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 02:05 AM
Thanks, indeed for posting this, Sunil. Rex/Cathy, more prayers coming at you from WV.
Posted By: CoachB Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 02:17 AM
Prayers coming for both of you. Hang in there.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 02:27 AM
I e-mailed Rex and told him the only option is full and complete recovery. He responds to a challenge as most of us know.

Cathy, we are all with you both, in more ways then you know.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 02:50 AM
Hey, Rex-aroo! Love ya, buddy. I'll be saying my prayers, and I'll try to contact you. Unfortunately just now found out about your tough run. I've never encountered anybody in my life who was any tougher than you, my friend.

Call me anytime! You know my number.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 03:54 AM
Our bro, Rex!

Posted By: hang_loose Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 05:04 AM
Dang Rex, you put a lump in my throat! Cathy, I'd like to send a donation to help with Rex's hospital bills or your home bills. Please PM me.

Thanks.......Mark and Mason.
Posted By: esshup Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 05:44 AM
Cathy and Rex, prayers are being sent. Let me know if there's anything that I can do.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 12:19 PM
Here's Cathy's reply. I does not seem to list the actual hospital, so I'll see if I can get that info. However, Cathy might be going back and forth between the hospital and their home, so sending something to their house might work:

"Sunil -

Thank you! Our address is: 2555 Wesglen Estates Dr. Maryland Heights, MO 63043. I just brought him his cell phone, but mostly so he could call out and/or try to get on the internet - he can't stay away from you guys! He's in ICU, so I don't think he can have flowers at the moment (they would probably just make him sneeze LOL) I wouldn't recommend calling him right now, especially since he has to concentrate on breathing, etc. - he can't talk too much. He's pretty irritable at the moment....I will volunteer for the abuse smile I will ask him though -

Thanks again & I'll try to keep you updated!

Cathy"
Posted By: DD2 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 01:23 PM
Hey Rex,hurry up and gitcher butt out of there.
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 01:31 PM
Rex & Cathy~ Our prayers are with you! Rex, you can pull through this ~ you are one of the strongest men around!
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 01:41 PM
I called and left a message last night. Rex called me back shortly after and we talked. He sounds good, but worried. I just tried to encourage him and told him the "Pond Boss" and all our extended family is rooting for him. Then, we prayed over the phone and wished each other good night. I'll call him again today, as we travel.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 06:57 PM
Here's an update from Cathy, and she gives the name of the hospital:

"Hi Sunil,

Just a short update...they were going to try to shock Rex's heart back into a normal rythmn this morning. While they were prepping him, he started coughing up what they were giving him & he threw his heart back into a normal rythmn. Heart doc said he hadn't seen that before & they didn't need to do the procedure! So now we wait to see if he stays in a normal rythmn.

Bob Lusk called last night and we were both comforted by his kind words. Rex did look at some of the posts on the forum last night & got a good laugh at the post saying he was needed for any future PVC muskrat problems! Seeing him laugh was truly uplifting....thank you all.

In case anyone wants the info, he's in SSM DePaul Health Center in Bridgeton, MO. He has his cell phone, but I don't know if he has it on right now. He's pretty worn out & talking is a bit rough (dry throat, general exhaustion, etc.) I'm hoping he has turned the corner on this...needless to say he won't be taking Batrim (not Biacin like I mistyped earlier) again!

Cathy"

Later tonight, I'll try to find the actual address for those who want to send things unless someone cares to do it first.

"
Posted By: esshup Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 07:23 PM
Cathy:

Do we need to put a room or bed number on the envelope? This is what I found; is this correct?

SSM Depaul Health Center
12303 Depaul Drive
Bridgeton , MO 63044
Room 305
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 08:01 PM
Dang, Rex is a tough bird! Hang in there and be strong... We're all pulling for you!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 08:16 PM
OK don't get all excited, it's Cathy pretending to be Rex smile[I had no problem figuring out his password heehee] Sorry for the piecemeal info - yes 12303 Depaul Dr is the correct address and he's in room 305. He is in one wing of ICU and they won't let him have flowers/plants. I know I never even saw plants people sent me, but they will deliver cards. I just got off the phone with him & he is getting a little bit of sleep, but is still a bit nauseous. I'll be going up there in a little while.
Thank you all again for your prayers and support!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 09:15 PM
You were right, Cathy! I was excited, thinking it would be him. smile

Please remember this is a family, and please let us know if we need to do anything (please PM me or one of the other folks; someone already said that earlier). Plus, keep the reports coming!!
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 11:17 PM
P.S. I do have to admit that I got a chuckle, thinking that Rex was able to get his heart back in rhythm by himself. That's sort of a classic Rex, isn't it?
Posted By: JKB Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/11/10 11:46 PM
Best Wishes and Prayers from Michigan Rex!
Posted By: Joshua Flowers Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 01:04 AM
Prayers sent from the Flowers'.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 01:25 AM

Hurry back, Rex
Posted By: Bossone Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 02:00 AM
Even though I am new here, you have our thoughts and prayers from Illinois!
Posted By: RC51 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 02:47 AM
Bski I love it!! smile
Posted By: Zep Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 02:47 AM
I haven't been on this site very long either,
but Rex is the reason I am here. Rex has
been so generous with his time in answering
questions from a rookie like me. Sending some
"GET WELL" thoughts from Texas.

Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 02:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
P.S. I do have to admit that I got a chuckle, thinking that Rex was able to get his heart back in rhythm by himself. That's sort of a classic Rex, isn't it?

I'll bet Rex has had to perform the Heimlich on himself after a thick ribeye a time or two.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 02:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Brettski

Hurry back, Rex

Brettski that is priceless grin grin grin
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 12:41 PM
Rex stay strong. You have been through alot this is just a bump in the road for you. You can whip this like you have those truck issues.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 12:47 PM
Posted by the real Rainman

Originally Posted By: Dave Willis

Dave, I'll say to you exactly what I did to the Cardiologist when he saw I was back in a sinus rythmn...."I don't know whether to hug ya or hit ya after that!" Definately a hug!!!! smile Thanks for the positive vibes!

I had to say THANKS to everyone for all the prayers, kind words, funny memories, and well-wishes. I have no doubt the prayers were not only heard, but answered. I'm still far from "cured",but I am nowhere near as bad as I was a couple days ago!

PondBoss People Rock!!!!!!!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 01:11 PM
And YOU rock, Rex! That's why we love ya so much around this joint! Keep getting better!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 01:16 PM
Let us know whatever you need, Mabro.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 04:45 PM
Good to hear from ya REX!!! Way to hang in there buddy! smile
Posted By: Omaha Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 05:46 PM
Great to hear from you Rex! Get well soon!
Posted By: TOM G Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 06:12 PM
Rex,sorry to hear about your bad luck,but glad to hear your well on your way to recovery.My prayers are with you and the family. And if you find dynamite wired to your truck when you get back...it wasnt me.
Posted By: J. E. Craig Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/12/10 08:06 PM
Happy to hear you are on the mend. Thoughts & prayers are with you & your family.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/13/10 01:52 AM
Rex - I've got what seems like a few thousand baby tilapia and my self all here in Malinta pulling & praying for your recovery. I've taught all the new tilapia babies to pray! Some were slow learners but we got'er done!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/13/10 02:26 AM
Religious tilapia? Now there's a marketing ploy if I ever saw one! Bill be careful you're giving Ken Holyoke ideas!

Rex glad to see you're doing better!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/13/10 08:40 PM
Cecil, Tilapia is known worldwide by it's more common name....The Jesus fish. It is widely accepted tilapia are the fish Jesus fed the masses after telling the fisherman to cast out their nets.

Heart rate is stable finally and I am now out of the ICU. Next on the list of fixes is the lungs.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/13/10 10:54 PM
Glad to hear from you Rex! Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/14/10 12:09 AM
Rex

Sorry been out for the last 9 days in MT. I emailed you, but wanted to double up my thoughts and prayers on the forum. I am relieved to hear you are on the mend.

Posted By: catmandoo Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/14/10 12:36 AM
Rex -- glad to know you are out of ICU. Please keep us posted.

Ken
Posted By: esshup Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/14/10 03:09 AM
Rex It's good to hear that you are out of ICU. Now get better quick. You've got a lot of work to do before the Fall stocking season rolls around!!
Posted By: george1 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/14/10 11:10 AM
Rex, some advice from a guy that has spent a total of 16 days in the hospital this year, let me give you some advice ....
Keep a positive attitude - best med ever!
Sweet talk your nurses - pays huge dividends!
The reason hospital food is so bad is they want you outta there - and so do we!!!
Get well soon my friend.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/14/10 12:52 PM
I got to speak w/ Rex yesterday. He sounds surprisingly strong on the phone. He's keeping his spirits up. He had Cathy and some of his grandkids there with him.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/14/10 01:25 PM
Rex glad to hear your doing better, hope you get to break out of there soon.

Remember sweet talking the nurses can be a plus, but not when your wife is there, that could end up biting you in the butt. grin
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/14/10 01:40 PM
Rex, tilapia are so fertile that they can feed the world, right? At least the equatorial world. smile
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/14/10 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Cecil, Tilapia is known worldwide by it's more common name....The Jesus fish. It is widely accepted tilapia are the fish Jesus fed the masses after telling the fisherman to cast out their nets.

Come to think of that I have read that somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Rainman
Heart rate is stable finally and I am now out of the ICU. Next on the list of fixes is the lungs.

Get well soon! I have thousands of Bairdello bluegills available to you at some point. Good numbers in three different ponds. Just need to know what size you want them at if you're interested. I may get them tested this fall or next spring. VHS testing is good for one year.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/16/10 04:23 AM
Rex, Are you still in the hospital? I'd like to call you but I know you need your rest also. Anyway , Good luck . Lots of rest is the best way to heal your body.

Also, give the good looking nurse a pinch!!! Blame it on the drugs. She might pinch you back kinda like you did Mason!

Get well bud.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/17/10 12:53 PM
Originally Posted By: hang_loose
Rex, Are you still in the hospital? I'd like to call you but I know you need your rest also. Anyway , Good luck . Lots of rest is the best way to heal your body.

Also, give the good looking nurse a pinch!!! Blame it on the drugs. She might pinch you back kinda like you did Mason!

Get well bud.

Mark, yea, I'm still in the hospital. The heart and lungs have cleared up, but my liver got jealous and wants to play now. I have another ultrasound scheduled this morning on the liver and if it is not worse, I hope to head home today.

The doctors still think what nearly killed me was a severe allergic reaction to Bactrim (sulfa based drugs). It also seems I had Rocky Mountain Spotted fever that had been dormant until the reaction lowered my immunity and it also began to rage out of control.

Thanks again to the PB family for all the prayers!!!

To whomever sent a letter addressed to "Rainman Rex" from Louisianna----God bless you and I thank you very much!!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/17/10 01:12 PM
Symptoms usually develop about 2 to 14 days after the tick bite. They may include:

Chills
Fever
Severe headache
Muscle pain
Mental confusion
Rash -- usually starts a few days after the fever; first appears on wrists and ankles as spots that are 1 - 5 mm in diameter, then spreads to most of the body. About one-third of infected people do not get a rash at all.
Additional symptoms that may be associated with this disease:

Abnormal sensitivity to light
Diarrhea
Excessive thirst
Hallucinations
Loss of appetite
Nausea
Vomiting

So THAT explains some of the fish deliveries!! laugh The quicker you get out of there, the better. I'm pullin for ya!
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/18/10 04:39 AM
Rex, thats great news about your heart and lungs. Are your heart muscles alright? Viral infestions are a b--ch. I got my fingers crossed for your liver too.

Do those blood people come in at about 4:00 am in the morning still?
Man, I hated that..

Anyway, good luck on your ultrasound. We're pulling for you.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/18/10 05:50 PM
I've been gone for a week and just saw this thread. Ricki and I are sending our love and prayers to you Rex.

And I promise that I shall refrain from any GSA activities that might have affected your physical and or mental condition until you are back at peak condition (which is a shame because I have almost perfected my nuclear itching powder formula).

Get well soon my friend!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/19/10 06:23 PM
I finally got to come home yesterday. It was nice to get some uninteruppted sleep!!!

Who would have guessed that at nearly 50 I'd devolop a severe allergy to a common antibiotic?

The final discharge diagnosis is congestive heart failure from 10 days of heart muscle dying due to the allergic reaction. The liver was effected as well but seems to have stabilized now. Only time will tell if the damaged areas will regenerate or not.

I guess I'm holding true to my beliefs that if you are going to do something...go all out!!!

Thanks again for all the prayers and support....They made a difference!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/19/10 06:28 PM
Awesome news Rex!
Posted By: TOM G Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/19/10 06:35 PM
Rex,Im so happy to hear your well enough that they let you out of the hospital.Please let me know if theres anything I can do for you.
And when you get back on your feet and start your deliverys,next time your in Texas the beers are on me.
P.S. ....leave your gun at home,my pvc doesnt need ventilating. laugh
Posted By: TOM G Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/19/10 06:39 PM
I just noticed your posting all over the board.You must be better.Back to work bud,we dont do no slouches round here. shocked blush grin
Posted By: Bossone Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/19/10 08:04 PM
Glad to hear you are back home.......Get better!
Posted By: james holt Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/20/10 03:01 AM
Rex we in texas are glad you are better
Posted By: esshup Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/20/10 03:44 AM
Now that you're back home, don't overdo things!
Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/21/10 09:13 PM
Glad to hear your on the mend Rex, take care !!
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/21/10 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I've been gone for a week and just saw this thread. Ricki and I are sending our love and prayers to you Rex.

And I promise that I shall refrain from any GSA activities that might have affected your physical and or mental condition until you are back at peak condition (which is a shame because I have almost perfected my nuclear itching powder formula).

Get well soon my friend!

+1 Rex, best wishes from el dorado!!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/22/10 01:52 AM
Dang, I've been out of pocket for a couple of weeks. This is the only post Ive read, except for Bruce's catfisherpersons. Man, you really had/having a hard battle. Of course, you are accustomed to those. Take it easy for a while(I know, that's easy to say). No doubt the PB chorus was heard by God. I need some 'Rain' and stripers this fall down in Missisip, but that can wait. Hang tough.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/23/10 06:32 PM
Rex said he was out mowing the lawn. Carefully, he claimed. That's got to be a great sign, eh?? smile
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/24/10 02:32 AM
He is amazing!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Rainman Rex needs us - 08/24/10 11:32 AM
He is also nuts.

He has a perfectly good excuse to get out of that chore.
© Pond Boss Forum