Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Spring is definitely here! - 03/13/10 03:15 AM
We've turned off the humidifier and now all I hear is the frogs croaking (wife snoring I mean.)
Posted By: esshup Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/13/10 04:01 AM
Why'd ya turn off the bio filter in the RAS?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/13/10 11:08 AM
I heard the spring peepers for the first time two nights ago... It was nice hearing them again! Even in 44 degree weather they we out in force!
Posted By: lassig Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/13/10 02:11 PM
Been hearing sandhill cranes here in NE IL since a week ago Friday. Hearing that the snow geese are making their yearly spring push down by the farm/pond that last two weeks. Amazing site to see 10,000+ snow geese hitting a field and every where you look in the sky more are coming.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/13/10 02:32 PM
SPRING, WHAT SPRING?
03-12-10

Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/13/10 07:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: lassig
Been hearing sandhill cranes here in NE IL since a week ago Friday. Hearing that the snow geese are making their yearly spring push down by the farm/pond that last two weeks. Amazing site to see 10,000+ snow geese hitting a field and every where you look in the sky more are coming.

I have a group of 14 Sandhills in a wetland near me. They sure are noisy! They were in the cornfield on the other side of the highway the other day.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/13/10 07:44 PM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
SPRING, WHAT SPRING?
03-12-10

No more snow! No more snow! No more snow! That means pictures too!
Posted By: JKB Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/14/10 12:11 AM
Our snow is pretty much gone except for a bit (very small amount) on the north side of things. The ground really never froze this year, unlike last year. And I have never had the plow on the tractor this year. Once, early on, I scraped slush with the FEL from my parents driveway, and that was it!

I plowed a lot of peoples driveways for free last year. They all have my number, and I never got one call this year. Hey, I try to help out, just no snow accumulation.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/14/10 01:32 AM
Be careful what you ask for. I was looking at a long range forecast for our region and we may drop into below normal temps in about a week complete with snow. Please say it isn't so!
Oh well at least significant ice on the ponds is over.
Posted By: esshup Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/14/10 02:32 AM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Oh well at least significant ice on the ponds is over.

You hope!
Posted By: ewest Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/14/10 02:44 AM
Water temps 59 today.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/24/10 01:30 AM
Spring is close, we've lost alot of snow the past 2 weeks, last night we had heavy rain and the waterfall was really roaring this morning.

I have 2 of the gravity siphon pipes from above the waterfall open now and getting 70GPM. The pond is full and still 80% ice cover. They're predicting single digit temps. friday night.

Posted By: Pottsy Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/24/10 01:38 AM
Do you have any more pictures? Is that a beaver-made pond by chance? Thanks.
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/24/10 01:59 AM
No the pond is a gully dammed at both ends, the small dam is at the lower right corner, you can see 1 of the 2 twelve inch outlet pipes. The cattails are on floating islands and the big dam is at the far end, no outlets on that dam. It was a cheap way to make a pond, $2500. ;\)

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/24/10 02:39 AM
Any signs of trout survival over the winter AP?
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/24/10 03:07 AM
I put in a fish trap yesterday and took it out this morning, one 4" GSH, no fish dinner.
The water temp. at 5ft. is 37F so I haven't lost hope yet, but it looks like this will be the earliest year for ice-out, maybe next week.
Posted By: CoachB Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/25/10 03:11 PM
daughter jumped in the pond yesterday (air temps at 60ish). She is crazy, but it has been warm here. BG already feeding. Looking for the perch to start spawning. What an early Spring in Michigan. I wonder if people will start to sell FHM earlier?

Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/25/10 04:50 PM
So Dad was too chicken to go swimming, the water had to be atleast in the 40's, what good is a beach if you don't use it.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/25/10 10:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
So Dad was too chicken to go swimming, the water had to be atleast in the 40's, what good is a beach if you don't use it.

Good grief even this mouse has more cajones than coach.

Posted By: esshup Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/25/10 10:19 PM
Yeah Coach, even Cecil doesn't mind the cold water. (much) He'll go swimming when there is still ice on the pond.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/26/10 02:16 AM
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Yeah Coach, even Cecil doesn't mind the cold water. (much) He'll go swimming when there is still ice on the pond.

Posted By: CoachB Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/27/10 02:43 AM
It was my cajones that I was worried about!! I didn't want them to disapear up into my body cavity!!

Well, it will be in the 70's on Good Friday. I try to get pictures of her jumping into the pond, and me dipping my toe in.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Spring is definitely here! - 03/27/10 06:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: CoachB
It was my cajones that I was worried about!! I didn't want them to disapear up into my body cavity!!

Well, it will be in the 70's on Good Friday. I try to get pictures of her jumping into the pond, and me dipping my toe in.

I remember taking a trip to Cape Cod once as a kid. The water pretty much stays in the 50's even in the summer in the ocean there if I remember right. I remember bragging to an uncle that it was no big deal I was going to jump right in. WRONG! Man was that water cold!
© Pond Boss Forum