Pond Boss
Posted By: jims place WiFi question. - 01/31/10 02:14 PM
WiFi question.
My office computers allow me to access the internet via a wifi signal sent from my house to my detached shop, the wifi signal is picked up by a router in my shop. My desk top computers are then plugged into the router…everything is cool….except ! Will someone explain to me why my lap top at my office can not pick up a signal ?
What am I missing
Posted By: Sunil Re: WiFi question. - 01/31/10 02:34 PM
I guess you have to make sure your laptop has wireless capability (I'm sure you check that).

On my IBM laptop, there is s physical switch on the front that you have to turn 'on' for the laptop to pick up the wifi signal.

If the switch is off, you will not get anything.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: WiFi question. - 01/31/10 02:40 PM
My Dell is the same way except it is a touch button. Sometimes I go crazy wondering why I cannot connect up and then I realize WiFi was turned off. Some computers have better reception than others. Maybe try a different area of your garage?
Posted By: Matt Wehland Re: WiFi question. - 01/31/10 02:45 PM
After checking the switch, it may just be an issue of reception, the router probably has a better antennae.
To check the laptop, start in the house, get the wifi working and then move out to the garage.
Does it still work or do you lose the signal somewhere?

Are you planning on connecting to the wifi router in the garage or the original one in the house?

Is it a windows machine?

Have you rebooted it lately?

Hate to say but that is still my first troubleshooting procedure, I've wasted too much time trouble shooting a problem only to have it fixed by a reboot, the machine was just tired.

Good luck,

Matt
© Pond Boss Forum