Pond Boss
Posted By: Anna I should never have looked at the pictures... - 10/28/09 08:30 PM
Let me start by apologizing for posting this but something is compelling me to help this poor creature. Seniors have a very special place in my heart and had I not seen the pictures I probably would have deleted this email.

Look at this face...

He is in the shelter here in Alabama where I am located. If I were not leaving for Germany on Monday I would take him in and try to find him a home myself. Transport can be arranged (Free of charge) to anywhere in the lower 48. I'm part of a network of volunteers nationwide who drive animals all over the place on weekends. I'd also be willing to kick in some food and supplements if he needs them.

Here is his story and the contact info for the person trying to help Mason. Anyone want to offer a sweet old chocolate lab a retirement home?

Hi ya'll,

I need your help. I try not to do this very often, but this poor guy has a special story and if it weren't for his amazing will to live and lovable disposition, he probably would have been put down by now.

Mason is a lovable 7 yr old chocolate brown Labrador who has been overlooked at the shelter too many times and has only 1 week left to find a loving home. He was left on the side of the road to die after being hit by a truck in the middle of the night. By the time he was found, he had a collapsed lung, was barely breathing and was paralyzed on his right side. He was almost euthanized to put him out of his misery, but soon after he was brought in, he took a liking to a volunteer and immediately started showing signs of progress. He made it through a successful surgery days later and to look at him today, you would never know the trauma he's been through. He walks perfectly and still runs around like a puppy. It's hard to believe it's the same dog. Sadly, the volunteer responsible for his successful rehabilitation had to leave him at the shelter when she moved away. Sometime later, while getting passed up time and time again for adoption at the shelter, he finally found a four-legged friend to play with who is now his best bud at the shelter. However, his friend is now he is being transported to another facility and due to the age restrictions, Mason cannot go with him.

This poor boy has made it through being struck by a truck, seeing his caretaker leave him and now will have to say goodbye to his best friend next week. People seem to pass by him at Petsmart simply because he has a few gray hairs on his nose, but they don't realize what a gentle, courageous and happy dog he is. He greets me every time I come into the shelter with a hearty bark and whapping tail, but he still can't find a home. The shelter has kept him as long as they can so we are in desperate need of a generous heart right now. Mason is smart, he takes care of himself, he obeys commands and most of all, he loves people, children and other dogs!

We found out he is heartworm positive, but he is obviously a strong boy with a will to live, so if you are kindhearted enough to foster him, I will pay for his heartworm treatment out of my own pocket. I will also provide food if cost is an issue. I would foster him in a heartbeat, but I don't own my place and my landlord won't allow it.

Mason has been through so much. Please don't let this sweet-natured and brave dog become another statistic. He deserves better than that. Please contact myself or Pat or Renee at the shelter if you can help save his life.

God Bless,

Jessica Schleider
719-930-5023

I just....got something in my eye.
Wow. I know what both of you mean. What a story and what a great face Mason has. Why the heck did you have to go and post that, Anna???!!! Wonder how he would get along with a 4 year old Chessie male . . .
 Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Wow. I know what both of you mean. What a story and what a great face Mason has. Why the heck did you have to go and post that, Anna???!!! Wonder how he would get along with a 4 year old Chessie male . . .

I'm SORRY. He grabbed my heartstrings. I'm sure he would probably get along with your dog. If you want I can go to the shelter and do a temperament evaluation. Why don't you give Jessica a call and ask her what she thinks? We are on central time, so the night is young... \:\)

Even if it's just a temporary foster situation. It would be better than the alternative.
Very smooth hard sell, Anna!!! Man, I would love to have him, but our situation really just isn't conducive right now. I'll tell you what - if $ contributions would help keep Mason kicking for a longer period until a good, hopefully permanent option could be settled for him, I would contribute, as I'm sure would many others here. Heck, we might even get the cat people to chip in! Please explore that option and let us know - I am very serious about chipping in.
Same here as far as a donation.

I wish I could take him in but I'm stuck with one dog for various reasons.
What a face he has... But my dink of of home barely has room for one crazy dog! Let us know what you find out Anna.
I wish $$ could fix this situation but he needs a place to go and donations will not convince the shelter not to put him down. His time is up and the shelter manager has been hiding him for weeks and playing musical doggies. He is out of time.

You never know, who you know, knows. How about you fellows send a link to this post to a couple of dog loving friends and ask them to forward it to anyone they know who might help. It's a long shot but I have even found homes for dogs in Alabama in Canada through networking on the internet.

I've posted him here,on a local forum and on my facebook and I've sent out about 60 emails. I've got a lead on a lab rescue group in NC that is senior friendly.

He has a week. Surely someone will step up from somewhere.

I'll keep you updated on his status. Sorry to dump this on you but I know there is a strong dog loving community here and I'm desperate to help this noble boy.
I couldn't read the whole story, I can't handle that kind of stuff. I am at my animal limit, but I emailed the link to the thread to my Mom in Jax. who may know someone. We'll find him a home!
Anna someone might be more inclined to adopt Mason if they knew he came with a few $ from us.
Anna, my wife works for the Humane Society here in Omaha, NE. I'm going to ask her to get the word about about Mason and see if she can tap into some of those resources.
My girlfriend's mom works with a rescue in northern Alabama. I forwarded the info to her. She may be able to help as well.

As for the donation money, should we take some sort of poll to see what we can raise to go along with him so people would know? I know the heartworm meds are pretty expensive, or was that covered already? I know you said transport would be covered.
I'm speechless. Your generosity is overwhelming. Thank you so much. I'll let Jessica know that monetary help is offered to offset his medical needs. I will provide food and other meds if needed.

Those of you forwarding and networking, thank you. All it will take is just one big sap like me(or ya'll) to open up that link, see that sweet, gentle, regal face and be hooked. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Jessica has gotten a few leads on last resort offers which may buy us some more time. Thank God. Nothing concrete yet but she is working on it full steam.

I think the shelter has an arrangement with a local vet to provide treatment at a reduced price. I'd definitely pay for at least half. I think it is around $200 but it could be less. Jessica has also offered to pay for it on her own, but she is not wealthy. Any help would be appreciated.

You are all so very special. Thank you for your selflessness and generosity. I'm sure Mason would give you a big lick if he knew how many people are trying to help him.
 Originally Posted By: Anna
Those of you forwarding and networking, thank you. All it will take is just one big sap like me(or ya'll) to open up that link, see that sweet, gentle, regal face and be hooked.

Anna, do you have a specific link I can direct people to? I've just been forwarding on the message and photos. A link would be great!
Use this link. It's direct to this page. Thanks so much!

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=189936
Use this link. It's direct to this page. Thanks so much!

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=189936

Haha, I meant if there was a direct link to a page set up for Mason. That's what I thought you were referring to. It's cool, I can send them here too.
Sorry there is not a direct link that I know of. Whoops! Just remembered there is one on a local ambulance chaser's site.

The pictures are not as good but it does have the story.

http://www.rickeystokesnews.com/article....unning-out-6181
I was always told that heartworm treatment was very expensive. We had a dog long ago that went thru it. We rescued our old cocker, Toby, from my son and his, at the time growing family. They didnt treat him as they should have. He had heartworms for a long time.
We were told by a nice vet just to keep him on a little stronger dose of meds and he would be OK. That was about 7 yrs. ago. He is now nearing 13. Even with a congenital heart defect, they didnt get him down. I cant keep him out of the pond for a swim, when we go down to it.
Dont let the heartworm be an issue.

Also recently adopted 2 juvenile choc labs. They aare the sweetest animals there is...they think they weigh about 3 lbs.
Yes Labs are total sweet hearts! That dog just looks like a big baby!
Anna,If Mason (Ithink thats his name) is fixed and you take care of the heart worm problem, I'll give him a good home with 4 other dogs.We live of 5 acres with a pond and 2 of our dogs are approx. the same age.

Call me today 10/30/09 between 5:00 and 7:00 pm at.
Also I need to know if he has had all of his other shots too! He will love it here with the pond and my golden retreivers plus a 15 month old St Bernard puppy we took in 6 weeks ago.

Also, if everything(fixing,heartworm,and shots) are taken care of, there is no need of money donations. He will have a happy rest of his life here.

My wife doesn't know yet I've invited another orphan in yet but she loves dogs too!

One more thing, all of our dogs are indoor dogs so they don't freeze in the winter or overheat in the summer.

Originally Posted By: Sunil
I just....got something in my eye.

Oh my goodness! What news to wake up to! It's hard to type and cry at the same time. The screen keeps getting blurry. There is not anything I can say that would adequately express my appreciation. You are a lifesaver and a Godsend. Thank you. I will call you today and will also have Jessica call you.

It may take a couple of weeks to arrange transport. In the meantime we can get his HW treatment started and get him fixed if he is not already.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
I was always told that heartworm treatment was very expensive. We had a dog long ago that went thru it. We rescued our old cocker, Toby, from my son and his, at the time growing family. They didnt treat him as they should have. He had heartworms for a long time.
We were told by a nice vet just to keep him on a little stronger dose of meds and he would be OK. That was about 7 yrs. ago. He is now nearing 13. Dont let the heartworm be an issue.

Burger your vet was right. There is a slow kill method that simply uses regular old heartguard and some inexpensive antibiotics. You can also use the liquid 1% ivermectin for livestock from the feed store for the treatment and as a monthly preventative. It's what I use monthly since I have a herd of dogs and the cost is around 30 cents a month per dog!

I think the slow kill method would probably be best if we are going to transport Mason. If they have the conventional treatment at the vet, they must be kept confined for 6 weeks. The slow kill method does not require it and is also much gentler on the dog. I'll provide all the meds with complete instructions. It takes approximately 1 year to complete the treatment but that is just giving weekly doses mixed with food. Not a hard program to follow.

http://www.dogaware.com/heartworm.html
Hooray for Mason! Three cheers for hang loose!!!
-
I nominate hang loose for "PB member with the biggest heart" winner for the month of November. (edit; heck, the rest of October, too!) You have set a high benchmark, hang loose. Nice job, man.
-
Please...please keep this thread updated with pics and stuff from here on in.

Outstanding!
You know, this is a great shining example of the power of people, not to mention the power of Pond Boss.
Yea!!! I was really hoping my Mom was going to adopt him so he could be a part of my family. She was probably one of the stand bys. As soon as I saw this post I knew Mason would find a great home! Hang Loose keep us updated with pictures!
Nicely done HL. Congrats at the newest addition to your family.
Wonderful news, HL!!! As the others have said, please keep us all updated and definitely include pics! Heck, we'd probably love to see pics of yuur entire brood for that matter!
Hangloose,

You da man!

You do realize this comes with a condition right? That is we want pictures of this adorable dog snuggled up and romping in the pond with your other dogs!

If there is anything you need from us here please just ask! Hey if you need anything pond related I can help! Fish included if I test them for VHS!
Just an update! Wow this morning has been a flurry of telephone calls. Mason is right this moment being transported to a boarding facility. He is out of the shelter and out of harms way!

Jessica will coordinate his vet care and possibly his transport while I am gone. He got all his shots this morning and the rest will be taken care of at the vet.

I'm heading over to the boarding kennel in an hour to take food and vitamins for him. I'll get some pictures for you all. He knows how to sit and shake. He is a great dog and I can't wait to meet him.

Thank you all so much.

His heartworm treatment and neuter will cost $145.00. I'll pay it but if any of you want to chip in you can send donations to Save A Pet, P.O. Box 9323, Dothan, AL, 36304 . Be sure to include a note that the donation is for Mason.

The full amount may not be needed depending upon the heartworm treatment HL chooses. The decision is up to him. Personally I would not do the conventional treatment on an underweight dog. It is very hard on them and some do die due to complications. I'd use the slow kill method and I can provide meds for that.

Thank you all again and HL I am calling you next!
I suggset that we all adopt Mason as the PB family pet. HL since the PB family has adopted Mason we should help you as caretaker.

Yet another shining example of this PB family’s true spirit.
The envelope is already addressed. Just waiting for a customer to pick up his fish...

Anybody else!
Working on this now by PM. Safe travels Mason !
Anna, I will be in Southern Alabama within 2-3 weeks and will also be going through Ohio in that same time frame. If Mason can handle fairly tight quarters and both runs work out, I'd be happy to deliver him to Hang Loose.
PB is a miracle maker! Thanks HL and I am so happy for Mason... I am so happy this has worked out and want to see lots of photos!
Mason's story is playing out like a feel good doggy movie with a VERY happy ending. When he hops into Rex's fish hauling truck his whole life will be turning around to nothing but great adventures.
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
Anna, I will be in Southern Alabama within 2-3 weeks and will also be going through Ohio in that same time frame. If Mason can handle fairly tight quarters and both runs work out, I'd be happy to deliver him to Hang Loose.

That would be incredible! Have you got dates yet?
 Originally Posted By: Sue Cruz
When he hops into Rex's fish hauling truck his whole life will be turning around to nothing but great adventures.

...just ask N8ly
Sue what kind of fish are in the aquarium ? A couple look like BG from here. Did you show Shannon her pics.?

I claim all royalties from the book series “Mason the Miracle Hound” . Especially the one titled “Mason leads Rainman Home” subtitled how to get a fish truck from AL to OH in one piece.
It's a salt water tank with an assortment of fish- the only fish really visible in the picture are the blue chromis. This is one of Shannon's projects that Mom and Dad have had to do all the work for a couple of years now. She loved the pictures you send as do I - thanks!! I have a bird hidden on my head in the picture above, too...
I think I'll have Shannon write a story about Mason ~ she is a fantastic writer!
"Especially the one titled “Mason leads Rainman Home”

Now that is funny right there.
As a bit of a footnote, a business associate of mine, Lynn, operates a chapter of a Goldy rescue club. I shared Mason's story with her today. This is her response (just before knowing Mason found the path back home)
 Quote:
This is so sad, Brett. We run into this up here with our seniors also. What I normally do is contact the breed club and check out their rescues. Normally the national clubs give the local rescues money to pay for this kind of stuff. Here’s the link to the lab club http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/searchrescue.php I’m pretty sure if they contact the main club they will get one of the lab rescues to help. Seniors are the most special of special.

Mason's story is playing out like a feel good doggy movie with a VERY happy ending. When he hops into Rex's fish hauling truck his whole life will be turning around to nothing but great adventures.

I just hope Rex is careful with that gun. We wouldn't want to disown him.

Just kidding of course. \:D
I got to spend about an hour with Mason today. The store was crazy busy and it was 3 o'clock before I could get out of there. By the time I got to the boarding facility they had already given him a bath and settled him into a very nice 6 x 14 run, inside with a tile floor a warm blanket and 3/4 height walls.

This is my first glimpse of him peeking at me over the run walls.

Then closer.

Hi Dad!

At first he was a little shy...

Then he ate a big bowl of groceries.

He needs them he is terribly thin and Mark I forgot to tell you! He is missing the end of his poor tail.

At the end of the hour and after about a half a bag of treats Mason started to show me his true personality. He shook my hand, gave me kisses, showed me his belly and crawled into my lap. What a sweetheart! All it took was a few treats, some soft words and a couple of gentle strokes. He was transformed.

He even started to smile for the camera and was grinning from ear to ear when I left.

Thank you everyone for all you have done. This sweet boy was definitely worth saving. He is going to make Mark one incredible pet. I'm almost jealous.

...He even started to smile for the camera and was grinning from ear to ear ...

me too....me too
when is it my turn to board him?

Maybe he can teach my juvenile houdini fence climber some manners.
That's awesome Anna. And Hang Loose and Rainman, you guys are great. What an incredible little story and I second everyone on that visual documentation.
Okay everybody, I talked to Anna today(what a nice,nice lady) and we have the wheels in motion to bring Mason to central Ohio.

We both agreed that Mason is probably older than 7 and needs to put some home cooked food on his ribs. Also Anna, a lot of people lose part of their tail when they get his age.

Also I told her that I do not need any donations. If you want to help, contact Anna. Once he steps inside our home, its his home too. I take full responsibility when he gets home.

My wife thought I was kidding at first when I told her but she is looking forward to him. My kids think I'm crazy but what do they know? (everything, they're teenagers).

Anyway,If you want to make a man happy....Save a dog.
What a great story indeed!
Also Rainman, Thank you for your huge contribution. You sure took a lot of the "connect the dots" out of the goal. I'll try to get in contact with you later this week.

Looking forward to meeting you. If I'm to far out of the way for you, We'll meet you somewhere along your route.
I am having a pond drained in southern Alabama, hopefully this week. When the call comes to pick up fish there, I will go get Mason and then the fish. Dothan looks to be about 50 miles due east of where I will get the fish. I don't know if Hartley's in Kingman Kansas will have My order ready before or after the stop in AL. Even if I can't work the two runs to get him all the way to you, there is no doubt getting him from St. Louis to you is no problem. We don't have the yard for two large dogs here, or I would have adopted him. He is more than welcome here for a couple weeks if needed though. My route through through Ohio from KS to PA will be along I-70.

No worries, I'll make it happen.
R & S Ranch and Rescue....nice ring to it.
Very cool and I'm excited to get to meet Rainman! Now off to work. Today is our monthly delivery run to Montgomery and I got nothing done yesterday because I was making arrangements for Mr. Mason. Got to go load a truck with 2000 lb of frozen food and get it on the road. Ya'll have a great Saturday and thank you again for all you have done!
Rainman, I'll call you tomorrow afternoon to figure out the best way to bring the "PB mascot" to Central Ohio.. If your still up tonight, you can call me. I'll be up till about 2am.
Hello All,
My name is Jessica and I am a friend of Anna's here in Alabama. I am the one whose email about Mason and stirred up so much generosity and kindness from all ya'll big manly men! lol

I am overjoyed that Mason has not only found a home, but one with other senior dogs and kindhearted owners, thanks to Anna and the wonderful people on this forum. It fills me with joy to know what a wonderful home he is going to and I want to thank Mark from the bottom of my heart.

Mark and I have already spoken on the phone and via email, but since there was such an outpouring of affection and generosity from his story on PB, we thought it only fitting to share with you how Mason is coming along! Mason was transferred to a boarding facility last Friday and they are taking wonderful care of him (he's already their favorite). His eyes are already brighter and he is putting on weight thanks to Anna's premium dog food donation. However, he is still pretty thin and when I spoke to the vet about putting him on heartworm treatment and neutering him all in the next couple weeks, they warned me it would be a very dangerous thing to do because of his age and current weight. They told me the first thing we need to do is get some weight on him, so that is our first priority and Mark has graciously agreed to wait to administer the hw treatment only when Mason is back up to his full weight and feeling like himself again. I've already seen significant improvement in him this week, so the neutering should be done by the time he is ready to go up to his new heavenly home in Ohio!

I told Mark if he loves labs, he was going to fall in love with Mason! I played fetch with him for a straight 1/2 hour Wednesday afternoon and he retrieved like a champ. He even caught his toy mid-air when I threw it up for him. He is going to love being with other dogs and absolutely adores people! He will greet you in the morning with a wagging tail, and also knows how to sit, shake and give sloppy kisses. So rest assured he is adopting an amazing dog! I am gonna miss him...

I was so touched and moved by the responses I saw on this forum that I have set up my own account to stay in touch with ya'll and keep you updated on Mason's progress until he is ready for transport. I was going to post some pictures of our afternoon together the other day, but I can't seem to figure out how to include pictures in my posts. Can anyone tell me how? In the pictures, you'll see his ribs are less noticeable and his face is happy! I swear that dog can smile, too.

What an amazing group of people ya'll are and I thank the good Lord for your kindness.
Jessica, thanks for the update on Mason. Great story.

To put pictures in your posts, the way I use is to go to Photobucket.com. Upload the photos you want from your computer. Than just copy and paste the IMG file onto your post. There's probably a more detailed instructional in the Q&A forum if I'm not clear enough.
Thanks Jessica and welcome. Email me the pics and I will post them. You can get the email by clicking on the name on the left top of this post and look under view profile. You can post them yourself with this link’s options but email might be easier.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92443#Post92443

It is obvious to me that Jessica is just as amazing and gracious. You have done a wonderful thing to bring Mason along the path of life.
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
It is obvious to me that Jessica is just as amazing and gracious. You have done a wonderful thing to bring Mason along the path of life.

+1
+2...now tell us about your pond.

Ok- here are the images of our dogs and pond.

Stanley is the saint bernard and our male golden retreiver is Bop in the picture with Stanley. The first picture I sent is Tippy and Pepsi our 2 female golden retreivers.

Also, My wife (Theresa) posted these pictures because I think I am computer illiterate..
Nice dock and beautiful landscaping. The pups look happy also.
Damn I think Mason is going to think he died and went to doggy heaven!

I sent in my donation. I wish I could have done more but times are tough up here. Twenty percent unemployment here in my county now. \:\(
When is the big move guys ?
 Originally Posted By: ewest
When is the big move guys ?

Yeah and I want to see pictures!
Good stuff hang loose. Keep them coming. Some very happy animals you have there.
Hang Loose:
Looks like you have a beautiful place to hang loose. Very cool.
Gonna be a happy dog!
Eric, the wild weather down your way has added a kink to the plan. I was going to pick up 60,000 fish that may no longer be there after today!
Rainman, We'll figure a way to get him here even if we have to "Pony Express" him north. Good luck with your fish, hope they make it.

Also, I have not heard from Anna or Jessica in a few days so I hope Mason is doing good....

Jessica, If you read this,you have mail.
The pond was drained down in Alabama, But he was worried the hurricane remnants would knock out the power so he didn't seine the pond. The center of the storm is was forcast to pass over him around 1am---and did. It's also forcast to be clear by noon today and if he got less than 10 inches of rain, he plans to begin seining this afternoon. More than 10 inches of rain and he will need to re-drain the pond----no run-off concerns.

If all goes well, maybe Mason will begin his life of liesure in Ohio by next thursday!
\:\) -- \:\) -- --
Looks like they are only going to get 1-2 inches today according to the weather.com forecast. I am still in Germany and it is COLD here and has snowed once. I'm posting most of my stuff to Facebook. For those of you who use FB and want to add me my real name is Anna Muldoon.

I have been checking in here every few days and it looks like Rainman, Hangloose and Jessica have everything covered. I won't be home until 10 pm on the 17th.

Thanks everyone for helping this sweet boy. I hope I get to see him before he leaves.
Rex:

Indiana deer gun season is rapidly approaching (opens Sat). When do you think you will be making the trip to Pa.?
"Rex:

Indiana deer gun season is rapidly approaching (opens Sat)."

Why esshup? Do you have some PVC that you need to kill?
Anna,

As an aspiring author I like your name Anna Muldoon. Has a kind of ring to it one would find in a novel.

I wonder what happened to Hang Loose's pictures? All I see are photobucket symbols. Is it just me?
"Rex:

When Rex was at my place I hid the guns before he saw the PVC near the pond.

Sunil: If Rex does deliver smallies to you, we're supposed to meet so I can pick up crawfish from him. I'll be giving him a package that he's supposed to give to you. DON'T let him get away without getting it from him! (don't believe the excuse "I ate them all" either because he's getting enough from me to tide him over for the trip to your place.)
"Rex:

Shut up you small Fathead!
Esshup, I promised you Sunil will have the same opportunity to taste them as all other entries!

PS

Do you have ANY clue how much I can eat while driving? I'm sure Mason can help too.
I'll bet that I have enough that even you and Mason can't consume it all (and keep it down). \:D
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I'll bet that I have enough that even you and Mason can't consume it all (and keep it down). \:D

Caveats?
Cecil, Thats all I'm getting too. My wife will check into Photobucket tomorrow. Hopefully we can get those pictures back up again.
Caveats?

Lots of things are good in moderation, not so much in excess.... A pound or two should be O.K. I take no responsibliity for any more than that! I'm talking about either end, both you AND Mason. \:D

Then again, you were planning on re-doing the interior of the truck this winter, weren't you?
"Esshup, I promised you Sunil will have the same opportunity to taste them as all other entries!"

This sentence is laced with so much hidden meaning.

Seeing as nobody has submitted anything for Best Deer Stick 2009, the same considerations for 'all other entries' leaves me feeling that Rainman and Mason will eat all the deer stick.

BTW, esshup, I greatly appreciate it, and hope to try some of it.

I suppose that even if I get a small piece of it, you'll be the winner!
"Esshup, I promised you Sunil will have the same opportunity to taste them as all other entries!"

This sentence is laced with so much hidden meaning.

Seeing as nobody has submitted anything for Best Deer Stick 2009, the same considerations for 'all other entries' leaves me feeling that Rainman and Mason will eat all the deer stick.

BTW, esshup, I greatly appreciate it, and hope to try some of it.

I suppose that even if I get a small piece of it, you'll be the winner!

Damn!

Sunil, if it is as good as the sticks Scott gave me last year, you are in for a real treat!!! I make my own sticks because all the ones I had ever had from processors were too expensive and never tasted that good. This stuff is the best I have ever had!!!
Rex:

Same place, same stuff. What did you like better, the jalapeno & cheese or the hunter cheese sticks?

I'll throw in some summer sausage as well.

Any rough idea of a schedule? I'll be out of town around Thanksgiving, and sitting in a deer stand 11-30 & 12-1 over in Cecil's neighborhood.
Scott, I am hoping to be there between 11/19 and 11/22.

They were both great, but the jalepeno sticks were magnifico!
That'll work. A buddy is coming out and spending a long weekend hunting 'cause we aren't going to Wi. this year. Deer count too low up there. (We hunted in snow all season last year, and only crossed 4 tracks that were <24 hr. old in 9 days.) Thay had another bad winter up there and the deer herd is lower than it was last year.
Scott, I have to deliver 400 pounds of 2+ pound feed trained Bass to Hartley's next Thursday. I will spend the night in St. louis and be through there on Friday around noon, deliver Mason around 4pm and watching Sunil's smallies fly that evening.
Rex:

You still planning on going thru Indy on I-70?
Here are the picture's again of our dogs and pond.

Stanley is the Saint Bernard and Bop is our male Golden Retreiver

Pepsi

Tippy and Pepsi our female Golden Retreivers
One last picture of our pond in summer with the flowers and teens island hangout in the middle of the pond.

Postcard perfect! Mason and I will see you next Friday.
Rex:

You still planning on going thru Indy on I-70?

Yes.
Rex:

Check your PM's.
You guys put a travel log in text and pics here if possible. \:\)
You guys put a travel log in text and pics here if possible. \:\)

Each mile marker with pics!
I hate nighttime stockings, but what are you going to do?
Use the flash -- uuugggh ! \:D
I hate them too, but the fish seem to do well when stocked in the dark. We can always wait till Saturday morning. They will be fine in the tanks.
We'll see as we get closer to the date.

O.K. Sunil, I gotta ask. Do you wear different stockings at night vs. the daytime?

I think Masingale makes a nice support hose.
It all depends.
I don't think you're supposed to wear depends on your feet Sunil!
This thread has gone from saving a dog,which made me proud,to eating snacks,to stocking fish,to Sunil wearing depends on his feet.whats next?
I almost asked last night if Sunil was going to the drag race. We can always 'depend' on rmedgar enlightening us regards support hose.
\:D
I didnt know people in drag had races.Do they put both feet in one pantyhose leg?
(Boy Sunil,youve really got your foot in it this time.Pun intended.)
Sunil, I refuse to meet you alone in the dark if your wearing fishnet night stockings!
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
I almost asked last night if Sunil was going to the drag race. We can always 'depend' on rmedgar enlightening us regards support hose.

That's right holmes, I'm down with the hosiery humor.....
Rex, what if it's me and CJ, both wearing stockings?

Would that make you feel better?

We could get a hunk of PVC and put it in a stocking also.
PVC???? \:o
Rainman has a PVC fetish? \:o

I'll have to think twice about letting him near my ponds. PVC everywhere! \:o
MASON HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!!
MASON HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!!

Pictures!
And the adventures of Mason & the Big Red Truck begin!
Go Mason Go. Rex you drive carefully. \:\)
I think they BOTH would be safer if Mason drove.
Is Mason wearing a bullet-proof vest?
You're not transporting him in one of the tanks, are you?
Awesome! Hope you guys have a great trip! Just remember that if you let him drive, he's a Labrador Retriever - he WILL drive the truck into the water so he can go swimming, so DO NOT SLEEP with him at the wheel!!! \:D
Good deal Rainman. I'll be waiting for pics.
Any updates on the latest Rainman saga? Waiting on pins and needles here...
I think Mason got the gun and is driving too.Lord knows where they'll end up now.
GSA's intelligence contacts have just received word that Rex and Mason were arrested for speeding and reckless driving. A state trooper reported that he clocked the suspect vehicle traveling at 87 mph in a 65 zone. The officer reported that since the suspect vehicle did not respond to the lights or siren he pulled up along side the drivers side door. Suddenly the widow lowered slightly and the office swears that a paw was thrust out of the window with the third claw extended.

Finally the vehicle pulled over and the officer noted that when he approached the stopped vehicle and carefully looked into the window he noted that Rex was in the passenger seat with a dog on his lap. Rex was observed to have been repeating the phrase "Bad dog, Bad, Bad Dog!" An investigation has begun to determine which of the suspects were driving. Both suspects are being held without bond pending the completion of the investigation. The officer has been ordered to undergo "routine" psycho therapy.
the littlest hobo
And I thought CJ wuz our friend.

Im gonna petition the court to get them released on humanitarian
rescue relations.I have high hopes Mason will be released immidiatly,however,it probably wont fly for Rex.Mason wont vouch for him since he got scolded.
All right! I'm getting a little IMPATIENT here!!! Where is the update?????
Rex has the dog and should get to Ohio late today or tomorrow.

Supposedly, Rex and Mason arrived at one hatchery early in the morning before any staff was there. So he put Mason in the foot well, and then laid on the bench seat to catch some Z's.

Shortly thereafter, for whatever reason, Mason bit Rex in the head. Then, Rex bit Mason back.

I asked Rex if it was because he dozed off and started snoring. Of course, Rex couldn't answer that because he was sleeping, and you never know if you're snoring 'cause you're asleep.

Maybe there was a fly or spider on Rex's head, and Mason was just trying to save him.
Well,at least my petition got em out of jail.Dont believe Rex when he tries to tell you I blew a hole in the wall and helped them escape.
Maybe there was a fly or spider on Rex's head, and Mason was just trying to save him.

I always figgered Mason to be the type to save a distressed fly or spider
I talked to Ted Lea, he said Mason and Rex will be coming by his place in OH tomorow and that he would take some pictures.
I'm supposed to meet Rex down in Indianapolis tomorrow to get my crayfish and give him a package for Sunil. I have to give Rex the same package or Sunils' might not make it.

I heard that he had to delay the trip a bit to replenish an o2 tank that went down much quicker than anticipated due to an airline coming loose.

I'll try and remember to throw the camera in the car.
Folks be patient. Hauling fish is not an easy job. Things can happen at any time. I haul fish for myself but not very often and I absolutely hate it!
You seemed to hold up pretty well thru our experience!! \:D

A contributing factor to the problem that we had was a plugged air filter.

I went down there prepared to do just that, should he not ride well. Except for trying to rip my face off the one time, he has been incredible on the trip so far...... We just got back to St Louis for the night. Mason has successfully navigated over 1500 miles thus far.

I have been wondering what made him bite me and think I have a good theory. Dogs consider staring directly into the eye an act of aggression. Due to my burns, I sleep with my eyes open and Mason was right beside me and may have felt intimidated and snapped at my right eye. He didn't break the skin but came very close to it. After I chomped on his nose, he agreed not to do it again. He has spent most of the trip with his head in my lap and is starting to get quite a bounce in his step when we take breaks to romp. He defininately has no trouble with car sickness and has not barked or whined once.

I was going to add several pictures, but PhotoBucket must be down and I have lots of fish to unload, plus 4am will be here soon!
You seemed to hold up pretty well thru our experience!! \:D

A contributing factor to the problem that we had was a plugged air filter.

They weren't my fish.

I went down there prepared to do just that, should he not ride well. Except for trying to rip my face off the one time, he has been incredible on the trip so far...... We just got back to St Louis for the night. Mason has successfully navigated over 1500 miles thus far.

I have been wondering what made him bite me and think I have a good theory. Dogs consider staring directly into the eye an act of aggression. Due to my burns, I sleep with my eyes open and Mason was right beside me and may have felt intimidated and snapped at my right eye. He didn't break the skin but came very close to it. After I chomped on his nose, he agreed not to do it again. He has spent most of the trip with his head in my lap and is starting to get quite a bounce in his step when we take breaks to romp. He defininately has no trouble with car sickness and has not barked or whined once.

I was going to add several pictures, but PhotoBucket must be down and I have lots of fish to unload, plus 4am will be here soon!

Hey maybe your snoring was unbearable. Just kidding! I think our dog is avoiding the bed because of the wife's snoring.
First thing my wife said was "maybe it was your snoring......."
Is anyone compiling this stuff? Bob seriously needs to add a series for Rex alone in the magazine..."Adventures with Rex". Any other near misses me amigo??
Captions needed!

The first picture is Jessica, who wrote the letter that Anna posted and one of Mason's caretakers at the boarding kennel. The next several pics were taken by Kym, Anna's store manager at Anna's shop (We missed Anna by about 10 hours--Mason got lots of goodies--I got catnip)

Yes Theo, it rains everywhere I go and in the last pic, Mason is getting ready to sit on the prized hat you gave me \:\)

You are a good man, Rainman. How you can haul fish, and a dog, and take alarmingly good photos of Mason, I will never know. Damn, I believe he was driving with his nose. I think you're right about the eyes being open. When I stare at my lovable yeaarling chocs. they nip at me, playfully. You mean chocs are supposed to like water? Mine melt into the dirt when I try to drag them near the edge of the pond.
Keep up the good work.
What a relief.There's no pics of them behind bars.
Mason's Big Adventure.
I know you are, but what am I?
Rainman you are an angel! I'm so sorry I missed you. Please give Mason a big smooch from me. I so wanted to see him again before he left. But I am very thankful for everyone who is helping this sweet old boy. I wanted to get to meet you too. I'm glad Kym was able to get you stocked up for the road though. Mason deserves it.

I wonder what made him snap? He is such a sweet gentle boy but he did just lose his 'sugar lumps' and that alone could make him grouchy and uncomfortable.

Please keep us posted and let me know if he needs anything.
Just awesome!

The feel-good story of 2009!
Dont forget to frisk him down for weapons when he gets out of the truck.
Mason looks sad to leave and unsure of what the future will bring. Understandable considering his background of being discarded and a shelter dog. No doubt he's in for a pleasant surprise.

My dog still goes bonkers when I get back home as if she's afraid I won't come back. I hear that's typical for shelter dogs.

Rainman you're a good man, and so are the rest of the people that made this happen, and of course the new owners!
Thank you so much Rex for the update, pictures, and of course for helping Mason get to his final destination ~ a real home!! I love the picture where he is looking out of the driver's window of your truck ~ you should replace your signature picture with that one!!
Good stuff. Thanks for the pics Rainman. Love the one of Mason's head out the truck window.
Good job Rex. Thanks for the pictures and what you're doing for Mason.
Thanks Rex - we all are in your debt you for your efforts. Be sure to post a pic when Mason gets home.
Rainman and Mason have left Brownstown. It should go well from here on, Mason was driving.

Bing
Bing, how did the trout-tossing go?

Did you see any of my smallies?
Sunil:

Very impressive trout. I fished Missouri's put and take streams for years and never came close to the size of some we put in today. I'd say there was at least one over four #.

Only two of the 50 we put in hung around the dock for more than a few seconds. They looked healthy and took off as soon as they hit the water.

I fired off the feeder as soon as they were in the lake, but no immediate takers.

No, I never saw your fish. I didn't ask him to take them out of the tanks, and that truck is pretty tall for my climbing skills.

Today is the first day of shotgun deer season and right after Rain pulled away the four hunters I let hunt here came out of the woods with four deer. One doe and three bucks to 11 points. Mary, the state forester who is one of the hunters got an 11 last year, and her 16 year old nephew got the 11 this year. They still have four tags to fill.

Bing

Thanks Bing!
Did you let Mason go fishing while you guys worked?
Mason was too busy supervising. Someone has to be in charge.

Bing
Glad Mason is finding his place. Did you find him as sweet and adorable as I did Bing?
Anna,Bing and all! Mason (and Rex)just left here (NW Ohio) after a fish drop and are headed for Columbus to meet up with HL. Should be there before 10PM. Rex and I tossed fish for 30 minutes and Terri kept Mason company. Mason headed for the pond for a long cool drink and I believe would of gone for a swim if it wasnt for needing to make one more stop. What a wonderful ole boy he is !!This has been a great story with a great beginning.
Travels with Charley, uh, I mean Mason.
Rex, at this time of year, you should have worn a Santa Claus costume for the pics.
I thought we would have had an update on thier arrival by now.Maybe Mason has them both locked in the basement and is demanding a new flyrod for thier release.
Just got home from hanging w/ Rex. Good times. Some pics & story to follow!
Waiting with bated breath here...
Sunil:

Did Rex give you the care package that I made up or did he "accidentally" keep it for himself?
esshup, he did give me the package.

I've been eating the Jalapeno-Cheese Deer stick (I'm going out to eat with my wife & friends tonight, and I've had like ten pieces. I think I might just drink at dinner!).

I really can't even express how nice that was for you to do, esshup.

Look at what esshup sent along with Rainman:

I'm inclined to state the award for Best Deer Stick 2009 right now, and NO, it's not because esshup's is the only submittal. It is awesome!
As was mentioned in another thread, we are in dire need of a drooling emoticon.
Here are some pics from "A day with Rex."

We stocked (200) SMB ranging from 6-12", (20) RES around 8-9", (20) CC around 1-2 lbs. each, and 100 lbs. of 4" Golden Shiners.

I only took a few pics and they're not that great:

After the stocking, we fished for a while, but all we could catch were some measely HSB, but Rex has those pics on his camera.

Rex had the grand pleasure of meeting my caretaker Ken. Rainman also had the pleasure of meeting Ken's wife, Tammy. Rainman went on further to have the pleasure of witnessing a domestic dispute between Ken and Tammy, as I did also. Don't fret, though,....the two lovebirds have patched things up.

Great day with great people. Wivell and his son Austin were going to come but couldn't make it in the end.

Nice hat!

I only took a few pics and they're not that great:

I'll say - no Redears. Good looking Smallies, though.
Sunil:

Those are some really nice looking fish, and the pond looks pretty good as well!

I'm glad that you got the package, I was worried that they might have been forgotten on the truck! (or given to another one of Rex's customers like he does with fish!)

The two packages of Hunter Cheese sticks are basically the same flavor as the Jalapeno & Cheese except no jalapeno. I thought I had some summer sausage from another processor, but that's all gone (until I take some meat in and have more made).

Hope I didn't spoil your dinner!
Yes - very nice SMB. Neat hat too ! Who won the fight ?
Yea, where is the picture of the disputing love birds - Ken & Tammy? We all know what smallies look like. It IS good to see Rainman again decked out in his spiffy PBoss shirt.

Hi everybody, Been about 30 hrs since Mason has been here. I'll try to let you know what has gone on since he's been here.(pictures will be later this afternoon). When I first got home with Mason last night (10:30pm), I put him on a leash outside while I unloaded his stuff into the house. When I went out and brought him in to meet the other dogs, the first thing he did was to mark his territory on the living room carpet.(had not even seen the other dogs yet! BOY, was my wife impressed!!!)

3:30 am...After 3 mini dog fights(nothing major), I got them all settled down. The females who are in heat are not cutting him any slack. They're put away in another room but if Mason starts sniffing around the door, they let him know to stay the hell away.

He is not on a leash anymore in the yard...He likes sitting on the front porch in the sun free to run.

A few things about Mason:
I think he is closer to about 12 to 13 years old. His front teeth are wore down to the gums. Not sure about this though because it also looks like his canine teeth(all4)have been filed down. I've got a vet coming out in a week or two and I'll have him look at his teeth.

I was out fishing with him today and caught a good sized yellow perch. When I went to get the yard stick out of the dock box to measure it, he bolted. Scared to death(so he obviously has been beaten before). Also he did the same thing when I brought the newspaper in this evening.

He is also still bone skinny but we can fix that.

I have also noticed the is more partial to my wife than me. So rainman, maybe its just a guy thing.

I gotta get to bed.... Try to fill more in later today.
Thanks Hang Loose for efforts way beyond the call of duty. I hope this did not keep you up to 3 am. At lease we know Mason can live out his days at home with good care. Hopefully things will calm down in a few days.
Ken came back later with his typical 60 oz. Big Gulp Coffee cup filled with Lemon Water, or Moonshine, or whatever it is that he drinks. Tammy wasn't with him, but supposedly he has things worked out. Asking Ken to tell a story is sometimes quite a time committment.

BTW, the HSB we caught weren't 'measely.' I was just kidding. They were nice. It was Rex's first HSB.

Mason has arrived in Columbus, Ohio. Friday night about 10:00pm.

Mason in the house at Hangloose. A gate separates the males from Mason-Mason growls at the dogs. HL introduces them later in the night with a few fights, and small bloody lip. Mason slept in the bathroom the first night.

The next morning Mason is enjoying his first breakfast here on the front porch of the house. It's a beautiful day with warm sunshine and he seems to like it on the porch. He stayed out all morning laying on the porch in the sun.

The first walk around the house to see the pond.

HL took Mason out to the dock to go fishing sat afternoon.

Sunday morning first thing you can see Mason, Bop and Stanley are all together on breezeway-they spendt the night together sat night and no more accidents in the house!!! Mason keeps the other dogs away from him-you can see Mason to the left and the other two towards the right. If they get too close he growls. They are getting better!!!

Mason will be very happy here to spend his last years!!! Later after the girls are not in heat we can introduce them also to Mason.

Here's the pictures from arrival with switch to HL's truck.

Ha, I love the picture of Mason and Rex. Great job all around fellas. Great story.
I think you are pretty close to his age. I think around 12 or so. I don't think the canines are filed down, I think they are that worn.
Scott, Mason's caninies were all mechanically filed flat as a pancake on the tips. Either that or he did a lot of straight pulling on sanpaper. Almost looks like he bit a spinning grinder wheel.
I knew a couple different retrieving breeds that loved to pick up rocks and carry them around. They wore their canines out doing that. They literally looked sanded down.
Here are a few more pictures of our adventure.

Buddy and Mason after I off-loaded a bunch of small tilapia at my home.

Mason as we leave from stocking some lunker trout for Bing in Illinois

Mason showing his typical enthusiasm during his 2900 mile journey. This was just outside of Indy---only one stop at Ted and Terri Lea's in NW Ohio before meeting his new family just north of Columbus,Ohio

Scott, Mason's caninies were all mechanically filed flat as a pancake on the tips. Either that or he did a lot of straight pulling on sanpaper. Almost looks like he bit a spinning grinder wheel.

Rex:

Cals canine teeth look like that as well, although not to the extent that Masons' teeth are worn. Perfectly flat on the tips. I took a peek at his (masons) teeth there in the parking lot. I think that's a trait of dogs that have done a lot of retrieving. Rebas' teeth (Cals dam) were worn that way as well. Cal was whelped 8/1997 and Masons' teeth are worn more than Cals'. If you work with the dogs every day, once they get 10+ years old, 20-40 retrieves per day really start to add up. They are grabbing things on the run/swim/fly, and I think the canine teeth take the most abuse. Reba actually had the tip of one broke off, although not down to the root. It wore smooth in about 5 years.
Thanks guys great pics and story. \:\)
A woman I worked with who has the dog now, told me her idiot son-in-law filed the teeth down on the collie when it nipped at the kids. She says the teeth are permanently dark. I can't imagine how cruel it would be to file the teeth down on any animal. So yes it is done. Not saying it was in this case but there are some cruel stupid people out there.
Interesting commentary.
How the heck did he get the dog to hold still long enough to get one done, let alone the other 3?
How the heck did he get the dog to hold still long enough to get one done, let alone the other 3?

If you're referring to filing teeth down I don't know but I wouldn't want to be around when it's done. I'd probably kill the SOB for being such a jerk. You'd have to be really sick in the head and enjoy it to inflict that kind of pain.

They say 1 out of a 100 people are psycopaths. That is they have no conscience.
We had a K9 on our department who broke off two of his canines biting a suspect. They actually put in fake metal teeth in their place... Pretty sweet looking grill he had! HAHA
What a wonderful set of pictures to wake up to. My heart is singing for Mason! I can't begin to thank Mark and Rex as well as the entire pond boss family for helping this sweet old boy.

At this time of year when we are all so busy rushing around to purchase presents and get ready for the holidays you fellows gave the greatest gift of all to Mason. You gave him life.

From the pictures he is still thin but has actually gained some weight. The food I sent to the kennel (Orijen) for him has about 500 calories a cup along with two cases of canned food specially formulated for seniors. So, some of the groceries stuck but he still has a long way to go. Sadly our shelter here feeds them enough to keep them alive but nothing more. 80% are put down and I guess they don't realize that it is harder to adopt out underweight scraggly dogs. It borders on animal cruelty... But I won't go there. This is a happy happy day for all of us!

In some of the pictures Mason is actually smiling, I think he likes you Rex and he looks like he is beginning to feel at home Mark. It's a blessing to see the light coming back into Mason's eyes. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
It would not have happened except through your intervention Anna. Only after that could the rest of us help. Rex and Hang Loose really stepped up big time. Good things do happen especially due to PB members acts.
Anna, Rex and Hang Loose, I have a difficult time ( lack of education) trying to express my thoughts and feelings, so all I will say is….Thank you very much for what all of you did for Mason. \:\)
I was glad to help out Mason.

It was one of those Karma moments. I was going to be within 30 miles of both places so it kinda made sense for me to step up and get it done.
Some good people on the forum!
Mason is getting used to being around other dogs now (I hope, no bloody noses lately). Anna, I sure wish you would have been back in time to give Mason a good send off. He is being fed twice a day here with his medicine, except the ivomec. We will start that prob. Wed night after I talk to our vet friend.

Mason has not been on a leash since the day after he arrived here. I let him out, he does his business and then back on the front porch guarding his house (thats what it looks like). He explores a little bit but likes "chillin" on the porch.

My wife (Theresa) bought him some moisturizing shampoo that he's had a bath with twice. That and the cream you sent up is helping with the scratching. Still bleeds sometimes though.

I'm not over feeding him but I'm not far from that line. Once he gets his belly full, its naptime. He might die from being overweight here but it won't be from starving. I've been walking around the pond with him to stretch his joints out. He loves it but won't stay out there by himself.

Rainman, he may have been dreaming when he tried to bite your face. I was napping on the couch with Mason on the floor and he woke me up with some pretty serious doggy dreaming.(Lots of dream fighting)

Jessica, If you're reading this, I'll try to call you tomorrow.

Try to get a few more pictures on tomorrow to.
Hang_loose and everybody here that made this happen you bring tears to me eyes. What a great bunch!
Didn't want to start a new thread, but there are plenty of dog people in this forum so I wanted to post it here and see if anyone could help. Saw this on our local Fish & Game forum.

Quote:
Dairyland greyhound racetrack in Kenosha WI. is closing Dec. 31, 2009. Up to 900 greyhounds need to be adopted or they will be euthanized. only 6 weeks to get this task done. contact JoAnne Kehoe, operations director at (312) 559-0887 or the dairyland adoption enter direct(262) 612-8256

From the sound of it, this is a real deal. The track is closing, and while WI law provides they must be placed, it also has many limitations. If the kennel cannot operate, or it is a financial burden to the owner or community, the animals may be euthanized.
Greyhounds make really awesome pets, they're mellow, laid back, GREAT with kids and families.
If you've considered a pet at all recently, do a hound a favour and give them a home, please.

Thanksgiving Mason update...

I sneaked a little turkey and stuffing in his dinner tonight. He is stretched out on a comforter in front of the TV (Texas vs Texas A&M game) sound asleep. From what I can see, his dreams are mellowing out.

My son weighed him last night and he came in at just over 80 lbs. I wish we would of weighed him the first night he arrived so I could show his progress. You can feel his rib cage less and less every day.

No fights lately. They are all getting used to each other. I cannot get him to stop scratching . He gets to scratching on different spots till he starts bleeding. When he gets up from his nap, its bathtime and medicine time again. When he hears the bath water starting now, he throws on the brakes so I have to pick him up and put him in the tub. But he has happy-feet when he gets out.

If my wife gets home early enough tonight, I'll have her put a couple more pictures of Mason on here.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!!!
Sounds like he is coming along great... Thanks for the update!
Hang_Loose and family are taking very good care of the Pond Boss mascot. Sounds to me like he couldn't have found a better home!
Thanks HL !!!!

Lets not turn this marvelous thread on true human kindness into a discussion of criminal activities of PETA and their ilk like look-a-likes. The info is here on prior threads.
thanks for the update HL! We are all looking forward to more updates and pictures! Can bathing him too much add to the irritation of the skin? What shampoo are you using? My lab had some skin problems - a special shampoo from the vet helped but it was only to be used once a week. That along with the healthy dog food that Anna sent should eventually improve his skin condition. Thanks again to you and your for all your kindness!!!! Mason had a lot to give thanks for yesterday!
Thanks HL !!!!

Lets not turn this marvelous thread on true human kindness into a discussion of criminal activities of PETA and their ilk like look-a-likes. The info is here on prior threads.

Understood Eric. Good point.
ewest, Was your last post directed to me? You lost me if it was.

Sue Cruz, Mason didn't get a bath last night because it got to late. The shampoo is made by PURINA. It is a moisturizing shampoo that is supposed to help moisturize dry and irritated skin. I'm probably getting carried away with the baths so I'll limit it to one a week.

I'm putting neosporin(sp?)on where he keeps scratching and bleeding at.

His ribs are disappearing more and more. I'm trying to fatten him up between the end of his rib cage and his hips. This guy has a really healthy appetite.

I'm going to call Anna tomorrow because I've still got a few questions about Mason.

I'll try to keep everyone informed...
Can't wait to talk to you Mark. I've got your address and will send out some oatmeal shampoo that has absolutely no detergent or soap. It has coconut based cleansers and may help. Also, along with the PM I sent you it could be a yeast problem of the skin. Typically goes hand in hand with the other stuff I mentioned. It's where the smell comes from.

Limiting/eliminating carbohydrates helps with the yeast. Probiotics will help too and I'll get some of those out to you too.
 Originally Posted By: hang_loose
ewest, Was your last post directed to me? You lost me if it was.

No HL, I believe it was the short discussion I was having with Cecil and Anna. I think it was deleted. Nothing to see here.
HL my post was a request not to corrupt this outstanding thread with PETA's criminal activity. That material is on other threads if people want to look at it. No problem with what was posted just the location. This thread is to important for many here to put that in it.

The part of my post about "human kindness" applies to many of the good folks here - just consider everyone involved in Mason's story for example.
Sorry, I thought I posted something wrong and couldn't figure out what it was. Thanks..

We are going out to dinner now and then a few drinks. I'm still trying to get my wife to post the last few pictures of Mason. Maybe when we get home........
Here's my little stinkerpot relaxing under the wife's computer desk.

Here's Lucky - he was abandoned in the woods by the ponds. Picked him up at 4 mths emaciated with mange and covered with ticks and took him home. He has given us much more than we gave him.

Nice Eric!

Mine is a little peculiar compared to other dogs I've had. We've finally figured out why she sleeps in front of the door downstairs when we go to bed. Apparently it's a guard dog mentality as she has no problem sleeping in our bed during the day!

She also barks at customers but all I have to do is say peanut butter and she will scamper upstairs with me for peanut butter. Some guard dog! Absolutely bonkers for peanut butter!

BTW this breed according to book on the breed rarely barks. Wrong! Apparently my dog didn't ready the book!
Cecil, she doesn't bark that much! I'll have to remember to bring something for her next time I'm over.
Mason chillin with his posse. He is getting along great with the the other males now. He is learning how to play tug of war now with play toys without fighting.

I had two pictures but they're both about the same. Anyway I'll try to keep everyone updated.

Mark and Theresa

Cecil, she doesn't bark that much! I'll have to remember to bring something for her next time I'm over.

Not with you Scot. But with customers she won't shut up!
Sure glad to see Mason is finding his place in his new home!
\:\)
Sorry no pictures this time but I promise to before the end of the year.

As of earlier tonight, Mason is weighing 86.9 lbs. So that is close to 7 lbs he has gained since arriving here.

He hates being cold. The first time I let him out when snow was on the ground, he bolted back to the house as soon as his feet touched it. He is used to it now and likes eating it. Also now since he has this extra energy, he will run around the pond once or twice just as fast as he can go.

Mason is getting along great with the other dogs now..............except the last female that came out of heat. I talked to Anna about this and she said that Pepsie (the female) was showing a "BOTH" attitude. I asked her what that meant and she said "BITCH OF THE HOUSE" attitude. That cracked me up. I told my wife about that but I was to tired to make a joke and fight all night about it.
Anyway Mason will not hardly come near her. She tore him up and I've had to drain some blood out of his ear flap(kinda like a blood blister).

Actually we are not sure if he really is a lab. He might be part but he has some "short haired" hunting dog in him.

Hope everyone had a good holiday and I'll get some pictures on here soon.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like Mason is eating regularly and has a nice home and place to play. That is a whole lot more than he could have expected and way more than he had.
I'm looking forward to biting seeing him again next spring! \:D
any updates on our favorite mascot??
any updates on our favorite mascot??

bump
Sounds like Mason was a weenie about the cold and the snow like some of our southern brethren here.

Sorry couldn't resist!
To everybody on Pond Boss, I apologize for not updating sooner. Its high-school wrestling season here in Ohio and I kind of forget about everything else.
Mason has rebounded like a champion. I'm figuring he weighed somewhere around 78lbs when he arrived here and his last official weigh-in on 1-24-10, he was 90.3 lbs. I'm guessing he's put on another pound or two since then.

He's never had a leash on him since right after he got here. He loves the snow now and romps with the other dogs like they're puppies. You know how they run and chase and dodge each other with happy feet.

There has been no dog fights for a long time and if Mason gets to cold, he cuddles up with one of the other dogs. They like it too!

Mason had a lot of loose folds skin on his legs when he first got here and I couldn't figure out why(kind of looked like a Charpei dog)(sp).It was because he was bone skinny. Those loose folds are all filled in now.

About his teeth being all worn down, he loves to chew on stuff. His eye teeth I don't know about but they still look flat. So I went out and got metal bowls for all the dogs so he has to chew on his hard rubber toys.

When we get time, I'll have my wife post more pictures of Mason. You will not believe the difference. Really nice not having to worry about attitude problems between these "buddies".

Also Anna and Jessica, if you're reading this I will try to get ahold of you this week.

Again, sorry everybody. When everything starts rolling smooth again, I tend to overlook some things.

One more thing, I'm not sure of Masons age but he sure doesn't act it playing with the St. Bernard pup (Stanly)
Great to hear the good news... Thanks for the update!
That is awesome news and I can't wait to see the pics. Great story, just getting better.
agreed
thanks again, hang loose
YEA! I can't wait for the pictures! Thanks for the update!
Thanks HL for the update but more importantly for saving Mason and giving him a home.
Thanks HL for the update but more importantly for saving Mason and giving him a home.

x1
Posted By: hang_loose I adopted Mason and he is doing very well - 03/19/10 01:48 AM
He is doing very well. He has 4 brothers that he runs with on 10 acres of land and has put on 20 pounds. Now at 100 pounds and still very lovable.

hangloose_02.57434@uploads.photobucket.com

Sorry from cell phone quality is not so great!
Also, just wanted to let you see how worn down his front teeth are.
nice job, dogmeister...really great job!
He looks like he has become quite the sweetheart. He's become quite a lucky dog!
Posted By: ewest Re: I adopted Mason and he is doing very well - 03/19/10 02:59 AM
Thanks for the update. Proof that good things do happen.
Posted By: Omaha Re: I adopted Mason and he is doing very well - 03/19/10 12:19 PM
This continues to be a great story. Looks like a happy dog HL. Let's see some pics of him frolicking in the pond!
Posted By: JKB Re: I adopted Mason and he is doing very well - 03/19/10 12:39 PM
He looks to be in fine shape. Great Job HL!
Wow! Thanks so much!! He's really filling out!
thanks for rescuing Mason and for the updates. He should run off a few #s this summer. Great stuff.
HL, Mason looks great!!! Looks like all his hair has filled back in as well. He sure looks more like a Lab than Blue Tick now, except for those white hairs! I still think he is around 8 years old and it's those white hairs and worn teeth that make him seem much older.

Good Job!!!
Hats off to the new owners and everyone that made this happen including Rex! As someone in show business used to say, "Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?"
Posted By: Pottsy Re: I adopted Mason and he is doing very well - 03/26/10 06:50 PM
Looks like he has a rough go in life, but better times lay ahead. Bravo Anna, HL and Rainman.
Posted By: Anna Re: I adopted Mason and he is doing very well - 03/27/10 03:54 AM
Thanks for the update HL!! Hugs and Kisses to you and your family for saving this sweet boy. Sorry I have not been around lately. Lost mom a month ago today. Been wading through all the details... What a bright spot to my day to see Mason doing so well. Thanks for the heads up Josh!
Posted By: esshup Re: I adopted Mason and he is doing very well - 03/27/10 05:03 PM
Anna:

I'm sorry to hear that about your Mom. I'm glad to know that you were able to make the trip to Germany for her. Wade thru what you have to and get back here.
Posted By: Sunil Re: I adopted Mason and he is doing very well - 03/27/10 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Anna.
Posted By: ewest Re: I adopted Mason and he is doing very well - 03/28/10 12:41 AM
Bless you Anna. I have been through what you are suffering. It is tough but will pass in time. Keep the good stuff in mind.
I echo others feelings, Anna. Glad you got to make the trip to Germany with her. Cherish it.
We need pond and doggy updates.
also update on hubby's medical progress.
© Pond Boss Forum