Pond Boss
Posted By: teehjaeh57 New record Muskie - incredible - 09/30/09 09:22 PM
http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gal...ch-lake?photo=0

Bummer that thing is on ice, but even I would be tempted to mount a trophy like that.

Posted By: Dave Willis Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 09/30/09 09:29 PM
Thanks for posting, TJ! I had not seen that. What a fish! Very cool that it's one of the spotted muskies rather than the barred ones.
Posted By: Sunil Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 09/30/09 10:28 PM
Kind of sad in a way to keep the fish.

How old does anyone think it was?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 09/30/09 11:46 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if it was over 20 years old... The maximum recorded age for musky is 30.
Posted By: Rainman Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 01:09 AM
Strange shadows in different directions at the guys feet and an exceptional Condello pose holding a 50+ pound fish with his fingertips. The fish may be real, but the photo looks very altered, IMO.
Posted By: Walt Foreman Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 01:16 AM
The photo doesn't look quite right to me either.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 01:41 AM
That's the fakiest looking photo I've ever seen...

But I've said that before and it turned out to be legit. \:\)
Posted By: Brettski Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 01:45 AM
Did you read the comments? There's some guy that strongly agrees.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 01:56 AM
My daughter just took one look at the picture and asked if it was photoshopped. \:D
Posted By: rmedgar Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 02:49 AM
Fake. his hands just don't look right.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 03:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: rmedgar
Fake. his hands just don't look right.

I believe that is because he has something in the gills to hold on to. You don't stick your hands into the gills of a musky!

It looks weird but if it's a new state record I'm sure it's been verified.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 03:55 AM
The shadows aren't right. It's got to be fake. The guy throws a shadow on the ground yet you don't get the same shadow from the fish thrown on the guy... or the ground for that matter.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 10:20 AM
I don't really understand pic 5.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 12:40 PM
It looks like something Sunil would do.
Posted By: maashkinoozhe Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 01:49 PM
Yeah something about this picture doesnt look quite right to me either and I have poured over thousands of pictures of muskies. Cecil why do you think you wouldn't hold a muskie by his "cheek"? Remember you aren't grabbing the gills, just the side of his face. ALSO don't EVER hold a large muskie or pike vertically (like this guy is) as it exerts incredible pressure on their spine and jaw. Try to support the weight of the fish horizontally so that there isn't a crazy bend in it's pine either (a very common thing to see in pictures). You can see in the pic I posted in the fishin 2009 thread what I'm talking about....if this turns out ot be legit though that is a monster fish!
Posted By: mudburn Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 02:26 PM
Look at all of the photos (19 in all) and read the text with each one. This fish apparently was caught in May and tagged by DNR and was measured at 55 inches then. Interesting.

mudburn
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 02:34 PM
I can see the point of the cynics - still, you'd hope a publication like this would verify sources on a story of this magnitude.

Holding a 50 lb fish with fingertips, as seen in photo one, does make one wonder. Has anyone SNOPED this yet?
Posted By: maashkinoozhe Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 02:37 PM
I didn't realize how many pics there were so I guess I stand corrected. I hate living in a world where we have to question the legitimacy of pictures like this. And unfortunately it's only going to get harder and harder to tell doctored photos apart from real ones as technology gets better.
That's why when i catch the next world record I'm going to take as many pictures as I can, but she will never end up on ice...
Posted By: Rainman Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 02:42 PM
I think the fish is real---and HUGE!

I still think the first photo is altered, for whatever reason, though. The guy appears to be holding something, probably a hook, in his right hand and supporting that hand with his left. At the same time, the guy's balance appears too far forward for something that heavy and the shadows are cerinately going in two different directions at his feet.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 02:44 PM
Interesting that there's no slime on the fish.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 02:46 PM
I don't know whether it's real or not, it's so hard to tell these days.

I mean look at the backhoe in this photo, it is so obviously photochopped in.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 03:25 PM
Get with the program TJ, he want's to be called Frank now, keep up for heavens sake!

Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello from the thread "Anyone want to buy some huge blue catfish?"
To be perfectly frank, I think the cost is a huge bargain.

Posted By: Rainman Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/01/09 10:26 PM
Watch out for droppings from the bull eagle!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/02/09 12:28 AM
 Originally Posted By: maashkinoozhe
Cecil why do you think you wouldn't hold a muskie by his "cheek"? Remember you aren't grabbing the gills, just the side of his face. ALSO don't EVER hold a large muskie or pike vertically (like this guy is) as it exerts incredible pressure on their spine and jaw. Try to support the weight of the fish horizontally so that there isn't a crazy bend in it's pine either (a very common thing to see in pictures). You can see in the pic I posted in the fishin 2009 thread what I'm talking about....if this turns out ot be legit though that is a monster fish!

Oh I don't know maybe because when you stick your hand in there you may make contact with the gill rakers which are just as bad as the teeth. Trust me I've done it before but only once.

As far as holding it the way he is, yes of course that it good way to do damage to a heavy fish like that but if you don't intend on releasing it...

Edit: I didn't bother to read the article. Someone on a fishing site said he released it? If so I should head up there and wait on the windward side. Shouldn't be more than 3 days till it pops up.
Posted By: Rainman Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/02/09 01:00 AM
The hook tore a gill and he said he knew it wouldn't survive being released----He also spent several hours looking for a certified scale large enough to weigh it while the fish was on ice, then suddenly found several scales????
Posted By: Weissguy Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/02/09 01:15 AM
My first post claiming it as fake was prior to looking at the other 18 pics. Now I wonder a bit, but MAN, that first pic looks so questionable for many reasons. Just like Rainman said, the shadows, the lighting, the stance and the holding method just seem so obviously suspect that one has to question this whole thing regardless of the other "backup" pics. But why in the world would someone doctor one pic and submit 18 more that appear to me to be legit? Strange.....
Posted By: Omaha Re: New record Muskie - incredible - 10/02/09 07:04 PM
I saw this yesterday morning on my state's game and parks forum. Pretty cool and I do think it's legit from reading the article, comments, and viewing all the pictures. But, like many of you guys, I was very skeptical from that first picture.
© Pond Boss Forum