Pond Boss
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Big Mosquito? - 09/21/09 11:20 PM
Yeah I know they are probably bigger in Texas and in the states of our southern brethren but this is a big one to me! I was talking on the phone in the shop and something kept buzzing me. I finally nailed it when it started to pierce it's proboscis through my shirt. Whatever species these are they are larger than our usual ones and are more aggressive. They also leave a large welt.

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/21/09 11:48 PM
We've got ones about that size in VA also. Same thing as you guys, not as common but nasty aggressive!
Posted By: Beaver Boy Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/22/09 12:23 AM
Looks like early 2000's government prototype, the transmitter seems to be showing in the metallic area. In later models its different.
Posted By: Blaine Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/22/09 01:06 AM
Outstanding preservation of the body Cecil. If that sucker stuck his needle nose into me, he would have paid a much heavier price!
Posted By: esshup Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/22/09 01:11 AM
The Tiger mosquito has striped legs and the body is striped as well, so I don't think it's a Tiger.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/22/09 04:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: esshup
The Tiger mosquito has striped legs and the body is striped as well, so I don't think it's a Tiger.

I don't think so either. I did a little cursory research on the Internet and the tiger is supposed to be a rather small mosquito. The link said there are 150 species in the U.S.
Posted By: bobad Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/22/09 04:33 PM
Tigers are very tiny. We have a few around here, but they're not pests so far. Their bite is niggling compared to standard mosquitoes.

My neighbor calls those huge ones like in Cecil's picture "Canadian Soldiers". I can't imagine why, but they're impressive, and hurt.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/22/09 06:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: bobad
Tigers are very tiny. We have a few around here, but they're not pests so far. Their bite is niggling compared to standard mosquitoes.

My neighbor calls those huge ones like in Cecil's picture "Canadian Soldiers". I can't imagine why, but they're impressive, and hurt.

Everything bad comes from "up north." The farther north the worse.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/22/09 06:29 PM
What?? What's your point, Cecil?? \:\)
Posted By: esshup Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/22/09 10:48 PM
Alberta Clippers for one! ;\)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 02:54 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
What?? What's your point, Cecil?? \:\)

The mosquitos that are mid size are South Dakotans.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 03:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: esshup
Alberta Clippers for one! ;\)

Yeah if those folks in Dave's neighborhood would just close the gate we wouldn't get so cold down here!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 03:31 AM
earth to beaver Boy, earth to beaver Boy.
Looks like a juvenile Alaskan duck predator to me.
Posted By: Beaver Boy Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 05:07 AM
sorry, didn't mean to get political
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 12:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: Beaver Boy

'Sokay. We could always blame Cecil. ;\)

P.S. Had to look back to find your War of the Coprophages post.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 02:22 PM
That critter looks like what we call a Mosquito Hawk out here in the wild west. The Mosquito Hawks out here are harmless, they do not bite and ironically do not hunt Mosquitos. They are scarry looking but that is about it.

Actually now that I look at the photo again I realized that a Mosquito Hawk is much larger than a penny, more like a quarter, so that photo above is probably not a Mosquito Hawk.

Well unless that is a huge Canadian penny or something.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 02:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Actually now that I look at the photo again I realized that a Mosquito Hawk is much larger than a penny, more like a quarter, so that photo above is probably not a Mosquito Hawk.

but...
if you had 25 Cecil-squitoes, could they take down one Mosquito Hawk.
-
-
-
How many Mosquito Hawks would it take to bring down a Studebaker Hawk?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 03:14 PM

No politics here but if Theo wants to blame me hey Theo go for it.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 03:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
That critter looks like what we call a Mosquito Hawk out here in the wild west. The Mosquito Hawks out here are harmless, they do not bite and ironically do not hunt Mosquitos. They are scarry looking but that is about it.

Well unless that is a huge Canadian penny or something.

Jeff,

Is a mosquito hawk the same thing as a crane fly? They look a lot like a mosquito, are bigger, but don't bite.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 03:21 PM
Yep Cecil, same as a crane fly. I don't know why they are commonly called Mosquito Hawks as they don't hunt Mosquitoes (which is a common misconception). The first time I ever had one land on me I almost soiled my armor (to quote Monty Python). Apparently they eat nectar and do not feed on blood. Still they look like they could drain a Chihuahua in one feeding.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 03:56 PM
everyone knows that a joule is a Newton-meter squared, and an erg is a dyne-centimeter squared, but did you know that an erg is also the amount of work expended to lift an average sized mosquito 1 vertical centimeter?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/23/09 06:18 PM
Not a healthy mosquito - only a dyne mosquito.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/24/09 01:07 AM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

She's out of the gene pool.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/24/09 01:10 AM
Looks like early 2000's government prototype, the transmitter seems to be showing in the metallic area. In later models its different.

LOL \:D
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/24/09 01:12 AM

I have no comment on this...
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/24/09 01:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

I have no comment on this...

Sorry, folks, it's all my fault.
Posted By: Wood Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/24/09 10:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Hey, carefull. Reminds me of a saying we have in western Canada. "The only good thing that comes out of the east is the sun (when referring to Toronto folk).
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/25/09 06:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: Wood
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Hey, carefull. Reminds me of a saying we have in western Canada. "The only good thing that comes out of the east is the sun (when referring to Toronto folk).

Only kidding in response to the, "Canadian soldier" mosquitos. I love Canada. If I had to live there I wouldn't have a problem with it. Of course I like to ice fish and the more remote the country the better!
Posted By: Wood Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/25/09 11:00 PM
I knew you were joking Cecil. Oh and by the way, for all of you south of the border, fall is in full swing here and I am returning your birds to you, with new ones from the summer hatch. So far I've seen Snow geese,Canada geese, and all the other assorted water fowl, ducks, grebes,coots, mergansers and loons. Also, pelicans, herons, cormorants,tundra swans and sandhill cranes. All pointed directly south. Have a nice winter.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Big Mosquito? - 09/26/09 01:29 AM
I knew you were joking Cecil. Oh and by the way, for all of you south of the border, fall is in full swing here and I am returning your birds to you, with new ones from the summer hatch. So far I've seen Snow geese,Canada geese, and all the other assorted water fowl, ducks, grebes,coots, mergansers and loons. Also, pelicans, herons, cormorants,tundra swans and sandhill cranes. All pointed directly south. Have a nice winter.

Wood,

What kind of temps are you seeing up there now? Frost yet?
Posted By: Wood Re: Big Mosquito? - 10/02/09 05:26 PM
Cecil, very mild fall, unusual for here. It was -7c this morning, so it's coming.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Big Mosquito? - 10/02/09 06:11 PM
Oh and by the way, for all of you south of the border, fall is in full swing here and I am returning your birds to you, with new ones from the summer hatch. So far I've seen Snow geese,Canada geese, and all the other assorted water fowl, ducks, grebes,coots, mergansers and loons. Also, pelicans, herons, cormorants,tundra swans and sandhill cranes. All pointed directly south. Have a nice winter.

Thanks. I'll cover my head.
© Pond Boss Forum