Pond Boss
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Social Networking - 09/09/09 01:33 PM
Face Book? You Tube? Sounds like fun. Now, Like Paul Harvey said, "The Rest of The Story".

I'm a HeadHunter. That means that companies pay me to find candidates for their open professional positions. That differs from an employment agency since YOU aren't paying my fee. When I submit candidates to a client, it is assumed that I have done a comprehensive background check on the candidates. It means character check as well as professional qualifications. One of the places that I and my clients recruiters check are social networking sites. Even though you might think that it is none of a prospective (or even current) employers business what you do off the job, it is not at all unusual for these things to be checked.

National statistics indicate that there are now about 5 highly qualified candidates for every open position. Companies are currently cutting costs including labor expenses and decisions are being made. Is there anything that you really want to keep private or "just between friends"? In the Information Age, there is not a lot of real privacy or security. If there were, we wouldn't get computer viruses. Heck, I know people who can, within an hour or 2, tell you where your Wifes birthmark is.

It's not just potential employers. Law firms, Insurance companies, etc. also do background checks when claims or suits are filed. Social networking sites are where they often find out about the guy who removes his neck brace to play in the weekly soccer game.

Own a small business? Is there anything that you really wouldn't want prospective clients or competitors to know?

For the last 5 or 6 years, I have been volunteering weekly at a networking group of unemployed Management and Professionals. I give a short talk about resume creation, job hunting tips and techniques. One of my first recommendations for the unemployed is to get off social networking sites. You have absolutely no control over what others may say about your previous or current "indiscretions". Also, you have no idea how it might be perceived by a decision maker that you have never even met.

Don't be naive about this stuff.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 01:40 PM
Great perspective, Dave.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 01:57 PM
I've never had any use for Face Book or My Space. I guess it's a younger generational thing. I know that Face Book and My Space stuff has been used several times in court cases as well. Many young folks are so ignorant in terms of posting stuff on the internet.

What about Pond Boss Dave, do you search Pond Boss posts?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 02:09 PM
No, but I wouldn't doubt that it has been used. Heck, all sites are covered in background checks. I think PB is GENERALLY a safe site. However, you can just never tell who is on the other side of the desk.

Think about this. I used to post a lot on the Texas Hunting Forum. Although I have no regrets, if the person on the other side of the desk in anti hunting, it could influence their thoughts about me.

I'm not trying to tell people to be paranoid but careful about the public picture that they convey to the world.

Data bases are pretty extensive. Case in point. Three or four years ago, Lusk, Otto and I went to Georgia for a PB mini conference. Lusk made the flight arrangements for Dave Davidson. That's a nickname and my real name is Samuel Davidson and I carry no identification as Dave. Well, some guy named Dave Davidson is on the terrorist/no fly list. It wasn't me but I was held up for about 45 minutes while they checked me out. When I finally got through, I don't recall Mike or Bob understanding the gravity of the matter. They thought it was hilarious.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 02:13 PM
Uh, ohh.

Well, good thing I'm self employed.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 03:02 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Uh, ohh.

Well, good thing I'm self employed.

So is Tom G, and Sunil fires him about once a week
Posted By: Sunil Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 03:13 PM
We've been able to back off TOM G's firings to about 2.5 times per month.

Of course, that number spikes around 3-day weekends.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 03:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Heck, I know people who can, within an hour or 2, tell you where your Wifes birthmark is.

I haven't found one in 26 years, DD, and am interested in knowing.

Via PM, please, just in case it's someplace good.
Posted By: TOMGINDISGUISE Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 03:21 PM
I think you guys pick on Tom G entirely too much,even though I dont know him.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 03:33 PM
 Originally Posted By: TOMGINDISGUISE
I think you guys pick on Tom G entirely too much,even though I dont know him.

Quite the contrary, we don't pick on him nearly enough!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 03:35 PM
Nobody admits to personally knowing Tom.

However, if you come to the Conference, I hear that he will be signing autographs.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 03:46 PM
That's really crazy! My real name is Samuel Davidson, too!
Posted By: TOMGINDISGUISE Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 04:06 PM
He He He,my disguise is working perfect.Nobody even suspects anything.Maybe I should suggest a raise.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 05:41 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

So is Theo's ... That's really amazing.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 05:57 PM
I spell "Zeno" differently, though ("Xeno").
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 06:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello

Nice try Condello. We all know you're real name is Francis Biffelheimer.
Posted By: ewest Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 06:38 PM
Where did all the sock puppets go ! \:D
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 07:27 PM
Theo, a gentleman never........
Posted By: esshup Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 09:49 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Heck, I know people who can, within an hour or 2, tell you where your Wifes birthmark is.

Now that is something. I'll bet they can't! In fact, I'll put money on it!
Posted By: davatsa Re: Social Networking - 09/09/09 10:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: esshup

Now that is something. I'll bet they can't! In fact, I'll put money on it!

This is what you call a win-win situation.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Social Networking - 09/10/09 12:15 AM
I guess its time you all should know my real name isnt n8ly. (just in case someone is thinking about booking an airline ticket for me to some place cool)

I always research online every client I do business with locally before I even meet with them. It is amazing what kind of info you can find about people!!! For those of you havent picked up on this yet, managing lakes is more about managing owners than it is about the water and fish!
Posted By: davatsa Re: Social Networking - 09/10/09 12:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: n8ly
For those of you havent picked up on this yet, managing lakes is more about managing owners than it is about the water and fish!

I always wondered why Sunil has a different "fish guy" every few months.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Social Networking - 09/10/09 01:29 AM
I pity your future opponents in court.
Posted By: ewest Re: Social Networking - 09/10/09 01:17 PM
Most pond owners I know are the independent type . Managing them might be impossible. Just look at Sunil for example. He fires Tom about once a week then re-hires him. Has he ever had a fish guy for more than one or two transactions ? \:D
Posted By: Rainman Re: Social Networking - 09/10/09 01:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Most pond owners I know are the independent type . Managing them might be impossible. Just look at Sunil for example. He fires Tom about once a week then re-hires him. Has he ever had a fish guy for more than one or two transactions ? \:D

Sunil only fires Tom before he blows something up to reduce workers comp exposure!

If I ever deliver fish to Sunil, I'll be sure to collect 10 times the normal rate on the first visit!!
Posted By: TOM G Re: Social Networking - 09/10/09 07:09 PM
In his defence,I'll have to admit that Sunil has NEVER been dumb enough to hire me back.He just hasnt been able to figure out how I kep getting back in the building.
As an on the side,its also how I keep hiding from the GSA.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Social Networking - 09/10/09 09:22 PM
Just for the record, I have only ever had one fish-guy/company.

I'm not sure he's even in business right now.

But let me just close by saying, if you ever need fired from your job, even if you are not self-employed, you are only a phone call away. Let me know.
© Pond Boss Forum