Pond Boss
Posted By: Sunil Guess who's done with Law School - 05/07/09 08:00 PM
Let's show a warm round of congratulations for davatsa for finshing his last Law School exam, ever.

Way to go Mabro!
Posted By: 2catmom Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/07/09 08:04 PM
Congratulations to what must have been a very long haul with a lot of dedication!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/07/09 08:12 PM
Now comes the part Sunil is most interested in - the bar exam.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/07/09 08:16 PM
CONTRATULATIONS!!!

Thanks for posting this Sunil.

That's quite an accomplishment davatsa. Next you'll pass the bar exam and then take on the world!
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/07/09 11:59 PM
Congrats Davatsa, I don't generally like lawyers, but I'll make an exception in your case. \:D
Sorry Ewest, I won't repeat the lawyer joke that got moderated. ;\)
Posted By: Brettski Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 12:12 AM
Yup, great job Dave-man!

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 12:39 AM
Dave

Congrats man! What discipline/speciality/focus of law?
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 12:51 AM
Congrats, my friend.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 01:15 AM
Thanks, guys and gals! I appreciate the support from my Pond Boss family.

TJ, I'll be doing litigation, with an emphasis (at least at the start) on oil & gas.

But as Theo mentioned, I've gotta pass that pesky bar exam first. I'll have plenty of time to prepare in June and July.
Posted By: ewest Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 01:25 AM
David did they show you the secret handshake yet. \:o - \:D
Posted By: Dwight Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 01:29 AM
Gas litigation?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 01:31 AM
Litigation? Nice to know an attorney who will work for CSBG in lieu of cash!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 03:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
Congrats Davatsa, I don't generally like lawyers, but I'll make an exception in your case. \:D
Sorry Ewest, I won't repeat the lawyer joke that got moderated. ;\)

Which one was that AP? Was that the one that asks what do you call 50 lawyers chained to the bottom of the sea?

Answer: A good start.

All joking aside congratulations Davatsa!
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 03:31 AM
No my joke involved a bus, but since it was moderated someone didn't think it was funny, I'll just stick to polish jokes, I have personal experience there.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 03:49 AM
AP

I got moderated once - for saying "p00p". It felt like a rite of passage, which was good...but also felt like I violated the code...and even that wasn't such a bad feeling. I guess if one isn't pushing the boundaries every now and again there isn't much point going round and round in circles. Moderators are here to keep our passionate responses in line with forum parameters, and that's a good thing. I know I have deleted several responses before posting that would have been swatted in a microsecond. Anyone have any good being moderated stories?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 03:58 AM
Speaking of poop I learned something new the other day.

How many of you knew the scientific name for a Robin is Turdus migratorious?

So flattering isn't it to be called a migrating turd?

TJ was that close enough to the boundary for ya?
Posted By: TOM G Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 11:56 AM
Congrats Dave.And you dont have to pass the bar,now that you've graduated you can hang out at the bar. \:D
Posted By: heybud Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 05:38 PM
Way to go Dave you da man.
a big texan gas lawyer, now that is an accomplishment.

congratulations dave.

you'll no doubt be working w/ consulting geologists.....be nice to them please or i might have to call in some favors and have gsf show up in yer pond ;\)
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 06:08 PM
Congratulations, Dave! Impressive, indeed.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 06:32 PM
You know, davatsa is so modest. He is in the top 3 or 4 of his class. Granted we don't know how many are in his class...

I'm guessing there's at least four. (kidding, just kidding!)

Now, because he's already accepted a job that starts before the PBC3, we need to figure out how he can be "billable" so he can attend the show.
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 06:44 PM
Congrats Dave! It has to be a great feeling to be finished with law school!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 07:07 PM
Good job, Dave. Best of luck in the future......
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 07:48 PM
dittos all around, Dave. An oil and gas litigation lawyer in Texas, man that's gonna be lonely. \:\/

Brettski, know any good moderation stories?
Cecil seems to be able to walk closer to the edge than most.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 09:03 PM
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
An oil and gas litigation lawyer in Texas

There will beano slanted wit from this participant
 Originally Posted By: ewest
David did they show you the secret handshake yet. \:o - \:D

wear they reach for your wallet??

I KID I KID. I have several laywers in the family.
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/08/09 09:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
An oil and gas litigation lawyer in Texas

There will beano slanted wit from this participant

"If it pleases the court - PULL MY FINGER!"
Posted By: davatsa Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/09/09 03:17 PM
Theo and Brettski--good ones as usual. I'm working on my wit and quick retorts, but I just can't compete with the two of you.

Ewest--No secret handshake yet. But I imagine it going a little something like this--except without the beer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PllsgkPQD_I

Tom--To be honest with you, I first thought the people at school were a bunch of alcoholics or something. They kept talking about "the bar" like they were obsessed with it.

Dave--I'll be very nice to the consulting geologists. Attorneys need all the friends we can get to cancel out all the enemies we make! \:\)

Sunil--The jury is still out on that one, but I do appreciate your kind words.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/10/09 03:08 AM
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Speaking of poop I learned something new the other day.

How many of you knew the scientific name for a Robin is Turdus migratorious?

So flattering isn't it to be called a migrating turd?

TJ was that close enough to the boundary for ya?

Yes, it was close...and kept in line with our p00p theme, which is probably worn through it's treads by now.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/10/09 10:15 AM
Congratulations Al. This ought to be the finale on kicking his butt out of the nest.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/10/09 12:19 PM
Spoken like a true great grandfather, all crotchedy and undiplomatic.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/10/09 01:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Congratulations Al. This ought to be the finale on kicking his butt out of the nest.

somebody can that quote.
Posted By: BarO Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/10/09 04:11 PM
Way to go Dave! Congrats to you, Al. Two winners at once!!!!!!
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/10/09 04:22 PM
My oldest is graduating from Emory (Atlanta) tomorrow - I am proud, happy and feel like I just got a piece of the stimulus package!!!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/10/09 05:21 PM
Congrats to your son, Randy!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/10/09 09:06 PM
Good goin' Randy's son. Emory, hey, that's heavy duty. Big time congrats!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/11/09 09:58 AM
Congrats Randy.

Just thinking back to when I first started communicating with Big Al. He told me about a Son that he was pretty proud of. He told me "You'd like him." He was right.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/11/09 11:02 AM
COngrats i hope you plan to take a few days off before beginnning the bar prep. SO I expect to see major bass harvest going on out at the pond.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 04:02 AM
Dave,

Have you been fingerprinted yet? I dated a Harvard Law grad and she had to go to the nearest police station to be fingerprinted after she graduated.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 07:09 AM
Dave,

Have you been fingerprinted yet? I dated a Harvard Law grad and she had to go to the nearest police station to be fingerprinted after she graduated.

So they DO know all Harvard Law grads are criminals!!!!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 09:21 AM
Thank goodness Otto is a Yalie.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 02:21 PM
LOL, Theo. Oh and what the heck were you doing up at two in the morning?

Cecil, the law grad probably had to be fingerprinted for the bar exam (if it has the same policy as the CPA exam). Back when I took the CPA exam (in the 80s) prior to sitting for the CPA exam a candidate had to be fingerprinted and submit a photo. On the day of the exam you were finger printed again.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 02:36 PM

I believe Theo's reasoning is to beat the kids to the shower.

Yea, I'm pretty sure getting up at 3:21 AM woulda worked when mine were growing up.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 03:03 PM

I believe Theo's reasoning is to beat the kids to the shower.

I remember when it meant that I was just finishing my last slider
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 03:23 PM
FYI, we got up at 3:30 today to put our daughter on the bus for the 8th grade field trip to Washington D.C.

I only fell asleep three times while typing that sentence.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 03:35 PM

Brettski and Theo Go To White Castle?
Posted By: davatsa Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 04:51 PM
Dave,

Yep...I've been fingerprinted already. Luckily this was the first time, and they didn't have mine on file already. \:\)

Randy, Congrats to your son! Emory is a great school--you should be proud.

Greg, I just got back from culling more LMB at my mom's place. The good news is they're all different lengths (instead of the same stunted size). The bad news is that they're still very skinny.

Oh, and TJ--I should plaster a sign on my forehead that says "Will Work for CSBG."
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 05:53 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Brettski and Theo Go To White Castle?

That cheetah ride was a blast! But Neil Patrick Harris is rather inconsiderate, IMHO.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 05:54 PM
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
Greg, I just got back from culling more LMB at my mom's place. The good news is they're all different lengths (instead of the same stunted size). The bad news is that they're still very skinny.

Oh, and TJ--I should plaster a sign on my forehead that says "Will Work for CSBG."

Some day you'll have paralegals to cull LMB for you! ;\)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/12/09 06:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: Rainman
Dave,

So they DO know all Harvard Law grads are criminals!!!!

The only bad thing I know she did was to get mixed up with me.

BTW she probably knows are current president and firstlady as she was at Harvard law school at the same time. No contact anymore though. Moved on to bigger and better things.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/13/09 02:15 PM

I'm sure that'll come up on her FBI background check. \:D
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/13/09 03:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

I'm sure that'll come up on her FBI background check. \:D

Now, now, I wasn't that bad.
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/14/09 12:23 AM
Well, time for the proud father to post. David did serve as St. Mary's Law Journal's common editor his last year. It's official now, he's graduating summa cum laude! Saturday will be a wonderful day for our family.
As far as the jokes go...
Being an auto dealer, we have a prayer of thanksgiving EVERY morning for attorneys...
Keeps us from being on the BOTTOM of the barrel...
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/14/09 12:44 AM
LOL, Ahvatsa. So David is modest as well.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/14/09 12:56 AM
Way to go Dave!!!!!!!!!! (of course, Al, you had nothing to do with it!!!!!.......................(you know I'm kidding my friend).
Posted By: Brettski Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/14/09 01:07 AM
That really is something, ain't it? Dave is the real deal!
Although this is a very high achievement, I'm not surprised. It's the nurturing nature of the PB forum that yields such results. We all have this potential...most of us just choose to remain average.
Right Sunil?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/14/09 03:17 AM
That hurts.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/14/09 03:25 AM
Sunil, you may be a lot of things; average aint one of them.

Posted By: Brettski Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/14/09 10:37 AM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
That hurts.

...meant to be a softball
But, instead of tearing the pitch up, Sunil does the honorable thing and lays over it to protect his brothers.
-
He's still a freak
Posted By: Sunil Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/14/09 12:25 PM
Yo intiendo ahora (I understand now).
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/14/09 12:52 PM
That hurts.

...meant to be a softball
But, instead of tearing the pitch up, Sunil does the honorable thing and lays over it to protect his brothers.

He's that selfless.

He once threw himself on a live case of Corona to save his Frat Bros from possible hangovers.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/14/09 03:50 PM
\:D \:D \:D
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/17/09 12:52 AM
freak
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/17/09 01:57 AM
Wow with honors to boot! Impressive.

Not to derail the thread but you want to hear something interesting? That girl I said I dated that graduated from Harvard Law was first in her class in High School and graduated with honors with an undergrad chemistry degree from I.U. She was one bright girl. But I remember on one of our dates she was fuming because Harvard Law turned her down, but in the letter it said, "However we may reconsider if your father would like to make a substantial donation." Within two weeks she was on her way. Funny how money makes the world go around doesn't it? She deserved to be accepted but it's a shame it came to money. \:\(
Posted By: davatsa Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/18/09 06:02 AM
Well...Saturday was the big day! Now that the ceremony is over, I can concentrate on fertilizing, filling feeders, and culling LMB. I might study for the bar exam as well.

Here is a shot of ahvatsa and davatsa, plus ahvatsa's lovely bride. I think I was the only person actually ready for this picture to be taken, but it'll do for now.

Here's one of my bride and I the day before graduation.

Posted By: Brettski Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/18/09 10:04 AM
Onward and upward, Dave. I'm looking forward to the continuing saga as we follow your life accomplishments.
-
Al...nice work, man. Love the neckwear.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/18/09 12:18 PM
Outstanding!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/18/09 12:38 PM
Congratulations, and welcome to the next part of your life.
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
I think I was the only person actually ready for this picture to be taken, but it'll do for now.

Oh, come now. Their eyes were open.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/19/09 01:54 AM
Congrats! Nice pictures!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/19/09 03:37 AM
Great pictures!

I would tell you how lucky you are, but I don't think luck had anything to do with it. ;\)
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/19/09 04:36 AM
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
Great pictures!

I tell you how lucky you are, but I don't think luck had anything to do with it. ;\)

For sure. I can't imagine how much work getting through law school would be. I doubt I'm smart enough either.

Of course I would say the same about Dental School Bruce!
Posted By: davatsa Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/19/09 11:48 AM
Thanks, guys. Yes, luck has nothing to do with it.
But neither does anything I can do on my own.

In a word, being "blessed" has everything to do with it.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/19/09 12:04 PM
What's with Al's beard though?
Posted By: david u Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/19/09 12:15 PM
Yep..Getting accepted into school and getting out are two great days in your life. Congrats! My advise, for what it's worth, is find someone in your profession that you respect and use them as a template and, if possible, as a mentor. Good luck ..du
Posted By: ahvatsa Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/19/09 12:26 PM
What's with Al's beard though?

My wife likes it...EOM

lol
Posted By: heybud Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/19/09 08:52 PM
David, any free or cheap legal work for pond bossers?
Posted By: davatsa Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/19/09 11:18 PM
Cheap? Sure! Accurate? Good luck with that. \:\)
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/20/09 05:15 AM
What type of law do you wish to practice?
Posted By: davatsa Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/20/09 09:53 PM
CJ, oil & gas and some business litigation.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/20/09 10:05 PM
OK, as long as you're not on the wrong side of the court room... The world already has plenty of criminal attorneys! HAHA
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/22/09 01:40 AM
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
OK, as long as you're not on the wrong side of the court room... The world already has plenty of criminal attorneys! HAHA

And the threat of litigation at the drop of a hat has ruined a lot of things in this country.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/22/09 01:11 PM
We are a litigious society these days...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/22/09 10:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
We are a litigious society these days...

I'm still floored by the fact that if someone trespasses on your property, regardless of what you do to keep people off, and that person ends up drowning in your pond you are still liable according to the one and only law class I took in college.

I have relatives in Germany that find this unbelievable too. They say the way the law is written there, as soon as you break the law (as in trespassing) any chance of getting damages from the pond owner in court go out the window.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/22/09 10:21 PM
Cecil, that may be what I learned can be called The Attractive Nuisance Law.

The instance I remember regarded a child on a swing set. If that child can swing high enough to see the swimming pool over your privacy fence, you can be liable if the child trespasses and drowns in your pool.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Guess who's done with Law School - 05/23/09 12:41 AM
It's always someone else's fault...
© Pond Boss Forum