Pond Boss
Posted By: TOM G Texas weather - 03/11/09 02:34 PM
Is anybody getting any rain?It has sprinkled a few times but Im not getting enough to even help the yard,let alone put water in the pond.

On another note,yesterday I was running the A/C,and today its back to the heater.Sigh.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 03:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
On another note,yesterday I was running the A/C,and today its back to the heater.Sigh.

Look at the bright side - on average, you have no HVAC demand at all.
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 03:50 PM
Got about an inch of rain last night in Goldthwaite America. Tom, you guys east of I-35 always get the rain, finally us westerners got some. Have a beer on me, I'll pay you later.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 04:14 PM
Heybud,Im in a corridor between 35 and 45,and the rain habitually misses me.I will take you up on the beer though,since Im playing hooky today.
Posted By: jeffreythree Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 04:46 PM
Rained here at home since 6am until about 11am, 90 percent chance for more this evening. Hope the pond got some. My new trees need a drink \:\) .
Posted By: BrianH Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 05:09 PM
Got a slow soaking inch here. First real rain since maybe July. It has rained around us almost every time since LAST spring.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 07:15 PM
I think its a diabolical plot to make all our ponds go dry.Lets blame JHAP. \:D \:D \:D
Posted By: davatsa Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 07:17 PM
We got a little this morning and a good shower about an hour ago...not sure of the total amount.

We need it BAD. I told my dad it would rain now that we're drilling a water well. Lo and behold...
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 07:25 PM
hijack on....
davatsa, how's that drilling coming along?
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 09:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
hijack on....
davatsa, how's that drilling coming along?

What in the world is wrong with you today?Dont you know hijacking is not allowed on this website?
I,too,would like to know about the well,though.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 09:44 PM
DIED and Tom,

Good question. They've been drilling for a few days. Last I heard, they were about 60 feet down, but I haven't been out there yet. We're anticipating going 300-400 feet to get to the semi-good stuff and maximize our gpm.

I'll probably head out there on Friday and check it out. Might do a little fishing if the weather warms by then. It's cold (well, in the 40s) and rainy now.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 10:06 PM
dang dave, i hope they are charging by the foot and not T&M. only 60 ft after a FEW DAYS??

some of those other drill methods i discussed on yer other thread do 60 feet in an hour or two.

good luck..
Posted By: davatsa Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 10:10 PM
"A few days" is a rough estimate--I don't know how much of that time represents actual drilling, but they've been on site for at least three days. 60' was as of Monday morning, so it should be more now.

Yes, we're paying by the foot. If it was by the hour, ahvatsa would have already lit a spark under them. \:\)
Posted By: Dwight Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 10:32 PM
10 years ago we went down 300 feet. There is nothing living down there other than water and hard. Even a GSF can't survive in water that hard!

Was this post about weather? It is supposed to be -8F here overnight and +50F on Saturday. Whipsaw weather! \:\)
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 11:06 PM
2.4 inches at my house just East of Fort Worth with another 1 to 3 inches forecast overnight. Not getting that much at my land 70 miles NNW of the metroplex.

Yeah, I kicked on the heat. it's 43 degrees outside.
Posted By: jeffreythree Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 11:10 PM
A good chunk of the DFW area has a weather advisory warning about "ponding". Uh oh, I think they are on to us!
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 11:26 PM
Dave,thats just disgusting.I havent bothered cking the gauge,but Id guess 2-3 tenths,maybe.And the water table is so low its affected my well too.
Posted By: tejasrojas Re: Texas weather - 03/11/09 11:47 PM
Hey, stop with those negative vibes man.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas weather - 03/12/09 10:04 AM
Tom, before this stuff ends, you ought to get your share.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/12/09 01:02 PM
I havent checked the gauge yet,but it looks like the pond caught about 1 1/2 fett of run-off.
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Texas weather - 03/12/09 01:18 PM
I might even be raining at my place in Giddings \:\)
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/13/09 11:56 AM
Well,this is really strange for Texas,its been hovering around 40 for 3 days AND nights now.I guess it will either snow or go up into the 90s next week.
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas weather - 03/13/09 01:31 PM
I poured 5 and a half inches out of my gauge here at the Rocin M Wednesday and Thursday. surprisingly my pond only came up about a foot. The ground was soaking it up like a sponge.
Posted By: BarO Re: Texas weather - 03/14/09 01:03 AM
Have received 4.75" since Wednesday. The pond is up 2 feet to conservation level. That's enough for now...........save some for April.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Texas weather - 03/14/09 02:46 AM
Wow...you guys are FINALLY getting killer precip. It's like Christmas in March.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Texas weather - 03/14/09 03:56 AM
Some of us are. We've gotten .2" total in the last 3 days at the pondsite.

The good stuff keeps flaring up just north of us and traveling NNE. Very frustrating.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas weather - 03/14/09 10:49 AM
Dang Dave, I was hoping you guys would get a bunch. I'm going up to my place tomorrow to see how much I got. 4.95 inches at my house but don't think I got that much there.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/14/09 12:59 PM
I didnt get that much,but,as I have a large watershed and the creek has been drbbling away,Ive now caught about 4 ft.From a puddle to a pond in one rain event. Coming up the next 4-5 fett to put me at full pool will double the size of my pond. \:\)
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas weather - 03/16/09 10:56 AM
Well, I got 2.25 inches in the country. It fell very slow for about 48 hours and created absolutely no runoff.
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Texas weather - 03/16/09 12:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Well, I got 2.25 inches in the country. It fell very slow for about 48 hours and created absolutely no runoff.

Same thing in Giddings
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Texas weather - 03/16/09 05:02 PM
Still need a frog strangler bad.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Texas weather - 03/16/09 05:10 PM
My ponds are full and running around. The early morning sound of a running water fall is so divine.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Texas weather - 03/16/09 06:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

That stinks, but with 2.25 inches, at least you'll know what grass looks like again.

New update: 3" in San Antonio (that last day helped) and 0.3" at the ponds. Water well still being drilled.
Posted By: jeffreythree Re: Texas weather - 03/18/09 01:57 AM
Got out to the pond this evening and it was up about 6", so it is about as full as it can get. Water was trickling out the spillway creek. Good chance for more in Northeast Texas early next week. On a side note, spring has definitely sprung. I have a couple dozen baby Lesser Scaup ducks at the pond now.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Texas weather - 03/18/09 02:16 AM
 Originally Posted By: jeffreythree
On a side note, spring has definitely sprung. I have a couple dozen baby Lesser Scaup ducks at the pond now.

Very neat! I didn't realize they nested in Texas... A very pretty bird.
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Texas weather - 03/19/09 12:29 AM
I'm so happy that you guys finally got a little rain; enough to fill some of your ponds. I've never been down more than two feet but can imagine watching my pond reduce to a puddle, and being unable to do much about it.

How did the guys in Georgia do?
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Texas weather - 03/19/09 12:55 AM
I'm in Mid-W Ga and have plenty of water.
Posted By: jeffreythree Re: Texas weather - 03/25/09 09:19 PM
Hope everyone in central Texas is keeping safe. Noticed a tornado warning down there, and we have severe thunderstorms up here. Pretty bad weather going through a lot of the country right now with flooding up north and the southeast and a pretty bid winter weather alert, and it looks like a lot more are going to get it tomorrrow.
Posted By: bobad Re: Texas weather - 03/26/09 02:56 AM
I checked it an hour or 2 ago, it was passing through central TX. I thought it wouldn't hit Cajun country until 6-7 AM. Well, it's already in HOU - BMT. I hope it helped the drought areas to the south and west, but it was going so fast I doubt it.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Texas weather - 03/26/09 04:01 AM
Austin had golf ball-sized hail earlier this afternoon. My inlaws live up that way, and the report is that many a windshield and roof took the brunt of it.

Insurance companies and roofers will be busy. One will be happy about it, the other won't.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Texas weather - 03/26/09 10:39 AM
 Originally Posted By: davatsa

Insurance companies and roofers will be busy. One will be happy about it, the other won't.

...One will be happy about it, the other won't will share the loss with the rest of us
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/26/09 03:56 PM
That rain went about a mile north of me...again. \:\(
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas weather - 03/26/09 05:10 PM
davatsa - Rain yet ?
Posted By: davatsa Re: Texas weather - 03/26/09 05:22 PM
ewest,

We've gotten a few tenths (I'm gonna estimate 0.2) in San Antonio, and it looks like we've gotten about the same amount at the ponds, but I can't verify that for sure.

The good stuff is literally blowing in right now. Hopefully we'll get a few inches out of it.

I like using http://www.wunderground.com

It's the most accurate site I've found so far. The radar and rainfall totals have been accurate, and it's been the only site I can trust for wind forecasts when planning hunts.

On a related note, the drillers finally hit good water...we think. It will be tested in the next few days. They're at about 320' and we planned on 400-500, so that is good news.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 02:18 AM
I second http://www.wunderground.com By far the most accurate weather website...
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 02:48 AM
Another good one. Excellent Radar.
http://www.intellicast.com/
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 01:10 PM
Its misting enough I had to run my wipers,but still not getting any precip.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 02:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

...One will be happy about it, the other won't will share the loss with the rest of us

Funny...and true!
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 05:30 PM
I just looked at the weather map and its RED right on top of me and nothings happening \:o
Posted By: Brettski Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 05:31 PM
time to wipe up the Hawaiin Punch spill
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 05:49 PM
Tom with your luck you'll probably get a twister that will take all the water out of your pond, but leave the fish.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 06:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: TOM G
I just looked at the weather map and its RED right on top of me and nothings happening \:o

Which website/radar are you using, Tom?
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 06:35 PM
I was on wonderground.My wife just came though Hubbard and said the bottom fell out over there!
Posted By: davatsa Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 08:13 PM
hmmm...I've had good luck with wunderground being accurate. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

Did you get any more rain?
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 09:02 PM
1) I meant Corsicana
2)Dont hold that against them.It did turn black outside and downpoured for all of about 10 seconds.As soon as it started,it saw my place and quit,went down the road and dropped all its water.It was there,it just wont let me have any.However,Im at work,so maybe I fooled ole mother nature and my pond 10 miles away got some.Ill know shortly when I get home.
Posted By: jakeb Re: Texas weather - 03/27/09 09:35 PM
I dont know what the weather in Texas is doing, but im in Stillwater, OK right now and they are forecasting 10in. of snow tomorrow! Almost April.
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas weather - 04/27/09 02:05 PM
My rain gauge is full and I can see the Rockin M pond from my back door. Haven't been able to do that in a long time. It is still raining and can't wait to get down to see the pond up close. Hope all in Central Texas are okay. Some places around us have had 7 inches and it's still raining.
Posted By: ewest Re: Texas weather - 04/27/09 03:52 PM
Full pool Heybud ? !!!!!!
Posted By: heybud Re: Texas weather - 04/27/09 04:32 PM
Yes Sir, Just got back and pond is almost over my dock. I have never seen it this high and water is still running in. Starting to rain again also. Be interesting to see how many fish I have lost. There is a barrier at the spillway so maybe it will help.
Posted By: TOM G Re: Texas weather - 04/28/09 02:32 PM
I got full pool too.I also got about 3 ft on top of my dock,and have bluegill going over the spillway.Hope I dont loose too many fish.
© Pond Boss Forum