Pond Boss
Posted By: Dwight Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 02:27 PM
I have always tried to keep my junk shed out of any photos that I post on the forum. In another thread I accidentally posted a photo with the shed exposed in all of its dilapidated splendor. Now that I (figuratively speaking) let the cat out of the bag, I wonder if other forum members have junk sheds that they have hidden from the forum.

Get out your camera and let’s get them posted. Air that dirty laundry, er, shed!

Here is mine:

Posted By: Sunil Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 02:41 PM
Oh man. I've got some junky sheds.

I'll get some pics this weekend.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 03:07 PM
sorry...can't help
(razz graemlin)
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 03:31 PM
OK - photo of loafing shed for cows upcoming.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 03:45 PM

Posted By: BrianH Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 03:50 PM
When I read your post I thought "junky" shed. Any shed that keeps stuff dry and out of the sun is a good shed.
Mine is 100' X 30' with 60' X 30' enclosed. It's maybe 15' tall and has four huge sliding doors. Impressive on the outside but the inside looks way worse than your shed's outside.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 04:57 PM
Dave the topic is shed not outhouse.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 04:59 PM
so that's what causes a mudslide
Posted By: Dwight Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 05:58 PM
Dave, I somehow expected your previously heated bum-shed to be your contribution! \:D
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 06:39 PM
ok RT, how bout this one?

Posted By: GW Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 07:00 PM
Hey that's cheatin'!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/25/08 10:10 PM
Heck, I could have bench pressed that whole shed with no need for that excavator. That ain't no shed.......
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 12:47 AM
man, tough crowd

here's a fun one from the side of my dad's 90 yr old barn:

Posted By: Sunil Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 12:52 AM
What is that thing?
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 01:05 AM
i'll let a few more folks guess...its a beauty, thats for sure.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 01:06 AM
hive
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 01:18 AM
dirt daubers...... Breakfast of champions..............
Posted By: GW Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 01:21 AM
Dave, what are you waiting for? Grab a broom and knock that thing down!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 02:08 AM
Beehive without the benefit of the cutesy white drawered box.
Posted By: ewest Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 02:29 AM
wasp ?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 02:57 AM
Here's my "Junk Shed":

This is our 15'x30' cattle loafing shed. It was the first pole barn I built from scratch - 18 years ago. Mrs. Gallus was pregnant with our son, so all the labor was performed by me and "My Two Dads" (Father and FIL).

This barn is a monument to frugality. The poles are reclaimed telephone poles (free from unofficial BIL), the siding is unused motorhome roofs from a company that went out of business (free from unofficial BIL), the main roof section is used steel corrugated industrial roof decking (free from FIL), and the small roof section (showing) is old used barn roofing (free from my shared Bull partner). I did actually have to buy some lumber. Still, it was cheap enough that the paint comprised more than 5% of the total cost.

It was supposed to be shorter, but I didn't cutoff the telephone poles before we placed them. My Dad and FIL were joking that it was gonna be so tall, it might as well be two stories. I thought about it for a couple of minutes, wrote some additional lumber requirements on a piece of 2"x6", and sent my wife off to by the lumber and decking for a loft which goes over 2/3 of the main floor. Presto - 2 story barn!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 05:18 AM
I wish I had a junk shed. I'll have to to show you my meager subsitute when I get a picture tomorrow.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 05:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: GW
Dave, what are you waiting for? Grab a broom and knock that thing down!

from the guy that nurtures maggots..... \:D

Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Beehive without the benefit of the cutesy white drawered box.

A+ theo

love yer shed.

its a "naturalized" honey bee hive built out from the inside wall and continuing to extrude on the outside surface. they've been in that side of the barn for over 40 years, and my grandmother left them alone to pollinate stuff on the place, and my dad has left them alone to continue their work.....one time i witnessed them split the hive and move a queen....it was a flying ball of bees over 2 feet long, i dont know where they ultimately took her. what you are lookin at in the pic is about 3 feet long, the dark masses on the comb layers and spots on the wall are individual honey bees.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 09:17 AM
Dave, I raised bees for quite some time and have never seen anything like that. Pretty neat. BTW, during the summer, the average colony will have 60 to 80K bees.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 10:44 AM
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca

one time i witnessed them split the hive and move a queen....it was a flying ball of bees over 2 feet long

...million bee march
-
 Quote:
I..have a queen!

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 11:46 AM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Dave, I raised bees for quite some time and have never seen anything like that. Pretty neat. BTW, during the summer, the average colony will have 60 to 80K bees.

"Dave Davidson, Apiarist" - that sounds kind of risque. \:o
Posted By: ewest Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 11:52 AM
It sounds like the cops are looking for him. \:o - \:D
Posted By: Sunil Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 12:13 PM
So, the Guv was an Apiarist?

That must have been after he was a Mujahideen fighter for a brief time.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 04:37 PM
BraveHeart Dave, will try anything once or for awhile!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 05:25 PM
I wish I could do it again. I always liked the bees and rarely, very rarely, got stung. However, my Wife is deathly allergic to any kind of sting so it's out of the question.

For the most part, we only had to use gloves and a smoker to work our docile bees. Usually not even gloves. However, you haven't really had an adrenaline rush until you've worked with a bad hive and had an upset bee get inside the veil. Your first inclination is to remove the veil but then the others will get you. You know you're gonna get stung. I never did get used to that. Of course, feeling one crawling up the inside of your pants leg will make you quit the scene and start easing away.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 06:21 PM
Dave,

My Grandfather kept Bees so we always had honey when I was a kid. The bee keeping Passion didn't pass on to the next generation, however.

Don't you have a shed or two?
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 06:37 PM
i'm sure dave's got sheds, he just refuses to post pics...plain and simple \:D

my dad tells me, that his dad, who i never met (died in 1948) used to also raise bees in the boxes on the same property pictured above, and would handle them w/ no protective gear....he'd roll up his sleeves and go in gloveless, gently scraping the honey, when he was done, he would gently scrape the bees of his arms back onto hives, and he never got stung. i refused to believe it, but my dad always swore it was the truth.

JHAP and his wife will be here in about an hour, we're all going to the county home and garden show, should be a nice day, then a mini pondboss meeting at my place (w/ cocktails of course \:\) )
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 07:24 PM
Here's what poor devils like me have that can't afford to build a shed yet.

BTW after paying our taxes I'm not sure I'll ever build a shed!
Posted By: Dwight Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 08:06 PM
Dave, let me know when cocktail hour starts and Gail and I will join you ! On second thought, you guys should join us since cocktail hours starts two earlier here (time zone).
Posted By: Dwight Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 08:08 PM
Cecil, Looks about like the inside of my junk shed, just missing the walls and roof! \:D
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 08:31 PM
Cecil, did your neighbors pay for the privacy fence?

I have the same kind of stuff leaning up against the outside of sheds.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 08:44 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
Cecil, did your neighbors pay for the privacy fence?

I have the same kind of stuff leaning up against the outside of sheds.

No they didn't.

I didn't make it messy until I put the fence up. ;\)

Actually I plan on hanging everything up as soon as I attach the hangers.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/26/08 11:25 PM
I don't refuse to post. I just never go anywhere with a camera.

I was only a hobby beekeeper and never considered myself any kind of apiarist. I had about 25 hives which I never considered an apiary. For the most part, European bees are gentle. Every now and then a newly installed virgin queen will mate with a rogue drone and have a bunch of mean bees. On those, smoke doesn't help and protective gear is a must. I had only one mean hive. I tried to catch and kill the old queen but finally gave up and built myself a fire. Then dumped the whole works on that fire and no longer got stung.

I used to pull the full frames and bring them to town to extract the honey. I once started on a nice Fall day with a Daughter and son in law as helpers. Not a bee anywhere in the vicinity. By the time I finished there were at least a gazillion. They were so interested in the honey that I never got stung. And, I believe they were wild bees. For the most part, varola mites have killed off most of the wild bees in Texas.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Junk Shed Exposed! - 04/27/08 05:06 PM
we have the mite problems in CA too, sad.

dang dwight, missed the shout out, sorry, the time just rushed by yesterday and we didnt get to a computer. i was hoping to have time to let JHAP craft some magic for pondboss while looking over his shoulder, but between the home show, feeding fish, talkin smack, and going out to eat, the computer was last on list.

edited post....p.s. make sure to ask JHAP how he liked his fried chicken \:D

cecil, i have a "barn" too. a spot on the other side of property w. a bunch of good stuff laying around...(well good stuff according to me)

© Pond Boss Forum