Pond Boss
Posted By: Bruce Condello Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/08/08 04:18 AM
I'm trying to meet my boyhood idol, Hank Parker. I've entered a contest to fish with him. Here's the photo that I submitted to the contest. As usual I was not afraid to use a little hype. ;\) ;\)

http://www.berkleybigfish.com/PhotosMore.php?picID=285

Tell me what you think. If you vote me a low number of bobbers I'm going to send Buddy Ebsen to go all Tae-Kwon-Do on your face.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/08/08 04:32 AM
I bet you could out-fish him.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/08/08 04:37 AM
I think its real good. I don't know if dropping names gives you legitimacy or categorizes you as a total nut case? I mean, its 100% true in your case. Don't get me wrong.

I do have another question though. If you were only using 4lb. test, and you knew you had a hog on the line, and you knew there was heavy cover close by, wouldn't you have no choice but to keep pressure on the fish? I mean, it wouldn't be in spite.

Just kidding Bruce, it's great!
I would have to categorically state that yes, I am a nutcase. I might as well flaunt it.
I should have mentioned that my hands are actually bigger than my head. That is not an optical illusion. I have the biggest hands ever.
You forgot to mention you were a dentist too. Namedropper
You're right. I should have said "...And my hamstring was killing me from when Fatty McButterpants tried to injure me at the Pond Boss conference".
tried? Oh if I really tried, you would be walking with a limp. I got NINJA skillz dude . NINJA!!!!!!!!!!!
If you and Buddy Ebsen were in a cage fight you'd be unrecognizable within 30 seconds.
Iwould have Chuck norris riding shotgun....so...i dont think so...maybe is Max Baer was there MAYBE
MAX BAER

i meant JR.

At first I thought you were joking, but you were serious! They're related?!?
yup
poppa
is it wrong that there are more posts than views?
There's only one explanation.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Sometimes I post without looking at the computer.
I sometime go #1 without looking at the toilet. My wife hates that.
O.K. Bruce I voted you a five bobber but I don't understand why a dentist has to grovel for a free fishing trip. \:D \:D \:D
Posted By: davatsa Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/08/08 01:08 PM
 Originally Posted By: FattyMcButterpants
I sometime go #1 without looking at the toilet. My wife hates that.

You nearly made me spit a mouth-full of coffee all over my laptop with that little gem.

You and Bruce crack me up!
 Originally Posted By: Bruce Condello
At first I thought you were joking, but you were serious! They're related?!?

Sit down, Bruce, I've got some further ground shaking revelations for you:

1) Alan Hale, Sr. is the father of Alan Hale, Jr. \:o
2) Jack Haley, Sr. is the father of Jack Haley, Jr. \:o \:o
3) Ray Scott is the father of B.A.S.S. \:o \:o \:o

Oh wait, you knew that last one, since you've been fishing with him. ;\)
Posted By: Sunil Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/08/08 01:18 PM
I meant that it's 100% true that you were on a fishing trip with Ray Scott, not that you're a total nut job.

BTW, I gave you a (5) bobber vote.
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
I meant that it's 100% true that you were on a fishing trip with Ray Scott, not that you're a total nut job.

I probably went a little too much "over the top". I typed it up in about 10 seconds. I'm used to being able to edit my text, but this one won't let me do it. Luckily I didn't curse like a sailor.

Thanks for the bobbers, guys. Looks like Buddy is staying home today.

He's only about an 80% nut job, a little higher than the average pondmeister.

I voted you 5 bobbers and a sinker, Bruce.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/08/08 01:29 PM
I know, Theo, I know. He is a total nut job, but really, he thinks its not public knowledge. Go figure.
I think I figured out how to change the text. I'll modify so it's not so goofy. That's what my momma always told me... "Never drink and type". Just kidding.
I thought your momma dropped you off at a walmart in omaha???? And you were raised by 4 out of 5 dentists
Posted By: davatsa Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/08/08 03:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

I voted you 5 bobbers and a sinker, Bruce.

I'll see your 5 bobbers and a sinker, and I raise you three swivels and a circle hook.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/08/08 03:59 PM
I got my vote in!
Thanks, guys! My text is edited so I don't look like such a self-absorbed idiot. ;\)
i'm a little surprised you havent learned yet bruce, theo can tell you, the world really does revolve around you \:\)

wait a minute, that's what my wife tells me....nevermind,

say, why does hank parker remind me of bill clinton?

anywho, good luck pardner...
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/08/08 08:02 PM
Done . He would be lucky to go fishing with you not the other way around. I think I will go on and add a comment on that sight that if old Hank wants to learn a little about BG or how fish and biology work he should take you fishing.
Thanks, guys! My text is edited so I don't look like such a self-absorbed idiot. ;\)

to those who dont know you......
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/08/08 10:58 PM
Hank looks a little like Dennis Weaver at the end of "Dual"
did y'all see bob's comments?

very nice write up bob, i felt like i was right there.

bruce, somebody's pullin ya down.....ratings dropped to 4.4/5...someone's jealous...maybe its that bobby sumner.....looks like ya got some stiff comeptition.

good luck again...it would be really cool to see ya on TV w/ parker.
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
...bruce, somebody's pullin ya down.....ratings dropped to 4.4/5..

I noticed that. I think that's called "playing defense". \:\)
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/09/08 02:06 PM
DIED "...it would be really cool to see ya on TV w/ parker. " whipping him good at fishing while grinning with his long arms extended toward the camera.
Posted By: fishtech Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/09/08 11:27 PM
Bruce
I sent five bobbers your way. Good luck.
Thank you. I think that the odds of me fishing with Hank Parker are roughly the same as me getting to do a movie with Peter Sellers, but it can't hurt to try. \:\)
Thank you. I think that the odds of me fishing with Hank Parker are roughly the same as me getting to do a movie with Peter Sellers, but it can't hurt to try. \:\)

Hank Parker is still alive, right? So the odds might be just a tad less infinitesimal than making a movie with Sellers
EXACTLY
Posted By: Brettski Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/10/08 12:29 AM
A berhm, what berhm?
An update for anybody who gives a dang.

"Aquaman" is leading the vote-getting for the month.

http://www.berkleybigfish.com/

If I were to finish in the top five for the month my odds of winning the trip with Hank Parker would be approximately 1 in 60.
I checked, and the Vegas odds on me getting the co-leading role with Peter Sellers in an upcoming movie are listed as 1 in 200.
i give a dang....can you vote twice?
Nope. I've tried. ;\) This isn't a Chicago mayoral election.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/14/08 05:47 AM
Can't you just "accidentally" register another name?

Not that I condone such behavior...I'm just sayin'...

Unless the website actually checks the IP address and limits users and/or votes based on that, I don't see why you couldn't vote again...
no cheating for aquaman allowed...superheroes got ethics ya know..
Posted By: heybud Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/14/08 03:28 PM
Aquaman, I cast my ballot for you. Make us proud and if you get on TV try to mention all our names while you're on camera. That will be thanks enough, although cash is alway good too.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/14/08 03:46 PM
 Originally Posted By: dave in el dorado ca
no cheating for aquaman allowed...superheroes got ethics ya know..

Completely agree. I wouldn't do it, and I don't condone it either.

Judging by the photos, I think Bruce has a great shot to win it without any "extra" help. If Hank Parker wants to know how to grow 2 lb. BG, he should end this competition right now!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/14/08 04:14 PM
If Hank Parker wants to quit being such a dork, he should get with Bru........well, maybe that won't help him too much.
I wonder if Hank Parker owns a cowboy shirt and hat?
I've got a pretty serious challenger that's worked her way into third place.

http://www.berkleybigfish.com/PhotosCat.php?Category=B
Posted By: BarO Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/21/08 01:50 AM
It doesn't seem fair Bruce, but she does have a couple of big ones.
It doesn't look good for Aquaman. \:\(
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/21/08 01:56 AM
How is she in first place ?
I think she's gotten a ton of points in the last couple of days, but she's still only in third.

OH, YEAH! I wrote first, didn't I? What was I thinking?
I've got a pretty serious challenger that's worked her way into third place.

http://www.berkleybigfish.com/PhotosCat.php?Category=B

Is it too late for me to change my vote?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/21/08 02:28 AM
Bruce...it's time to fight fire with fire.
We're ready for Thong-man!
Just curious, but is the site allowing you to vote a second time for Aquaman?

Aquaman who? I'm a Duo-Damsel fan now. \:D

I think I'd have to register again with a different assumed name to vote again.
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

Are we going to put FatMcB in a thong?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/21/08 02:54 AM
Don't forget the cowboy shirt and hat; we have a Texas contingency to serve.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/21/08 04:27 AM
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I noticed THIS, but doesn't her right hand look kind of odd???
 Originally Posted By: Brettski

Are we going to put FatMcB in a thong?

not AGAIN, I told yall last year it was a one time thing....
Posted By: Sunil Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/22/08 01:42 AM
No issue now. She's gone.
She's gone.

She's Gone? Oh I, Oh I'd
better learn how to face it.
She's Gone. Oh I, Oh I'd
pay the devil to replace her.
She's Gone - what went wrong?
No issue now. She's gone.

Been spending a lot of time checking?? \:\) \:\) \:\)
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/22/08 01:53 AM
I think the mad doc Frankenbruce faked that pic of ( @ ) ( @ ) . I think Hank runs a family program and his wife would not allow ( @ ) ( @ ) on the boat with him.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/22/08 01:58 AM
nice at's, Eric
That might be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/22/08 02:01 AM
I just matched the pic as close as possible !! \:D
Posted By: Sunil Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/22/08 02:02 AM
Frankly, that picture kind of grossed me out.

On another note, ewest's QWERTY-based depiction is incredibly accurate.
Posted By: DJT Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/22/08 03:29 AM
Someone emailed me that pic of the girl holding the two bass years ago as a joke. That pics been around the block a few times. I'm sure the person who posted it didn't know her. The copy on the Berkley site had been photoshopped to add the bikini. In the original she was only wearing a smile and sunglasses! I guess someone found out about this on the website and removed it. Good for Bruce as it would have been hard for him to compete. A pair long arms are no substitute for a pair of.....well you know......
 Originally Posted By: ewest
I think the mad doc Frankenbruce faked that pic of ( @ ) ( @ ) . I think Hank runs a family program and his wife would not allow ( @ ) ( @ ) on the boat with him.

Fatty and Dr. FrankenBruce at last years entertainment for the PB Convention

Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Just curious, but is the site allowing you to vote a second time for Aquaman?

I probably shouldn't say this . . .

but, if you erase your cookies, you erase your identity. You can vote, and vote, and vote . . .

However, depending on the actual proprietary database, and the levels of actual and implied parsing rules the site is imposing, there is a possibility that it allows "DNVD" which I believe stands for "Double-Negative Vote Depreciation." It is very complicated on how it is applied to the various data bases in use -- but possibly Dwight, or some other software guru, could add some insight.

It's main purpose is to offset minor error corrections without disturbing natural occurrences and mathematical progressions. Someone familiar with the site, and familiar with DNVD, could actually decrease the vote count.

To the best of my knowledge, DNVD was initially developed back in the late 1960s to correct for leap seconds and other minor time variations when they were in the early stages of developing GPS location.

Well, I couldn't help myself. I deleted all my cookies, but it still wouldn't let me vote again. Interestingly, my wife and kids are not allowed to vote for me even a first time. So the website knows something about your "location?".? I'm really glad that the site doesn't allow you to circumvent the process. It would take the fun out of it. I could never compete with somebody who was doing their campaign with all fake votes. We'll do it with real people, right?? \:\) \:\) \:\)

My wife also told me that one of her co-workers voted for me, but nobody else at her entire workplace can vote now, so the Berkley has it set up so it's very hard to cheat.

That's a good thing.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/22/08 02:05 PM
They can track the IP address (basically, they know exactly where you're posting from based on your internet connection). Then they can disallow any other comptuer using that same IP address to vote.

It's the same thing that the internet gaming websites do so two people can't get on two different computers, sit next to each other, and rig the game (undoubtedly splitting their earnings).

Since you're so popular Bruce, and since you know so many people in such different locations, I'd say you have the leg up on this competition.
Posted By: heybud Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/24/08 04:34 PM

"‘Aquaman’ moment doesn’t define Austin"

We have another person claiming to be Aquaman. Golfer Woody Austin
has been tagged with that handle also. Maybe voters are getting confused when voting for "Our Aquaman"
In the for what it's worth department...

If I finish out the month as a winner in my category I'm going to donate the Ambassador reel and Berkley tackle to the Pond Boss auction, which is then donated to the South Dakota State fisheries students for research projects. Actually ewest or Dr. Willis would be better at explaining the foundation, but it's for a great cause.

The vote is not as close as it looks, because second place has received about 150 points in the last two days. It should be interesting.

If I hang in there I will also see if I can get Hank Parker to sign the reel box for the auction, but that's not a given. Thanks a lot to you guys who have voted so far.

Vote here: http://www.berkleybigfish.com/

Sincerely,

Aquaman (pondmesiter superhero)

Posted By: davatsa Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/27/08 11:47 PM
Go Bruce!
I will see if I can get another forum to vot efor you, the only problem is that if it is ME asking they might all vote you 1 bobber.
Actually even one bobber helps. Se what you can do!! \:\) I'll buy you one beer for every vote you get me.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/28/08 12:05 AM
Bruce- Do you realize how much fatty can drink?

He's like Sunil..EXCEPT HE'S BIGGER!
That's so true. I'll bring my major credit cards.
OK then get ready....I warned you.
70 votes this month and I asked for voters for you, lets have a tally, shall we?
Game on!
I'm doomed. Second place guy got 120 points in the last two hours. Oh well, I have another idea for the auction.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/29/08 03:53 AM
He's beating you by one stinkin' point!

Alright guys, let's rally. To anyone who hasn't voted for Bruce, please go to the link on page one of this thread and vote for Aquaman!

There is a lot at stake here.
 Originally Posted By: davatsa
There is a lot at stake here.

You're too nice, Dave. But it's really not neccesary for you guys to make the effort. I've already decided on a really cool thing to give to the auction in July. If you'd like I'll start a thread on Pond Boss eventually to describe the gift and try to generate a little excitement about it. I've been learning to customize aluminum LED flashlights. There's a small model that's so bright it will practically blind you, but I've been using my dental drills to make custom drawings on them. Lusk got one of the prototypes, but I've improved a lot since then. I'll post some pictures when I've made the first flashlights so you guys can drool over them. \:\) \:\) \:\)

You all are too kind to try to help me out.
Aquaman is still up by 5 votes.

If you haven't registered and voted, now's the time.
Save Aquaman!
Posted By: Shorty Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/29/08 03:57 PM
This is the last day, Aquaman was down by one vote just a few minutes ago! \:\(
Just checked, and Bruce is up 17.

Come on folks - Tinkerbell can fish with Hank Parker if you believe.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/29/08 05:02 PM
VOTE. VOTE. VOTE.
Posted By: fishtech Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 02/29/08 06:05 PM
I voted at noon. As of then, Bruce was down by 15 votes!!!
I've created an unholy alliance with Steelheadrich in the trout category. If you vote for me, then vote for him also. I think he'll reciprocate. I can't believe I'm actually ahead at the moment.
I'm excited by the Condello/Steelheadrich ticket!

I always have had a thing for smoke-filled back rooms (having been practically raised in one by Grandma Gallus).

Aquaman up by about 100 votes; ScottSC currently third.
I could be wrong, but it looks like ScottSC is dead in the water. I just have to hold off KPangle, who's gotten some insane amount of points in the last two days. Something like 550!!! Do you have any idea how much beer I'm going to owe FatMcB if he keeps sending me votes!!!

Remember that Steelheadrich is a good guy. Send him some love!
I'm hanging in there. Earlier I really didn't care if I won or not, but now my competitive side has kicked in and I'm hoping to pull it out.

If I'm lucky enough to get it we have to find a way for Hank Parker to sign the reel box so it will auction at the conference for more. If it doesn't work out that OK though, because I'm going to give the flashlights no matter what.
I've never met the administrator of the site even though he evidently is from around here, but to be honest this website is a stroke of genius on his part. He said he's gotten a million hits this month. And that's on a website that's only about nine weeks old. That's almost mind-boggling!

I think I'm still going to need a few more votes.
I am working on it

Do the polls close midnight, tonight?
Si
tick,tock
I am trying to get a few more last minute vote to put you over 1000 pts
Don't plan on buying any drinks at the conference.

Keep in mind that the guy behind me is still in massively hot pursuit. We need to take away his spirit.
I can cyberbreak his cyberkneecaps
all righttttt over 1K !!!

Posted By: catmandoo Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/01/08 04:41 AM
Whoever setup and maintains the site is really good. THEE GOVERNMENT probably has this person incarcerated for knowing way too much about hacking.
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Whoever setup and maintains the site is really good. THEE GOVERNMENT probably has this person incarcerated for knowing way too much about hacking.

\
I'm sure it's better that way. I think if you could hack the site then a fisherman would never win. It would always be a computer dude.
Fatty!? Can you find me one more vote?
I think you won ,didnt ya?
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/01/08 01:18 PM
Up by 47 - I assume the vote is over or are they counting hanging chads.
Yes, I won my category, and I believe that an ambassador fishing reel and other prizes come with it.

All Pondmeisters rule.

FatMcB you carry a lot of influence. Have you ever thought of running for office?
I have influence over of bunch of goobers here in Texas, I am their Ubergoober. DD knows where I got the votes. You Should Check out the Texasfishingforum.com and see my group of knuckleheads!
Posted By: Bing Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/01/08 02:06 PM
Bruce, congratulations.

This looks like a very good way to band together in futute contests and legally vote to win items for the auction.

Good cause.

Bing
Yes, I won my category, and I believe that an ambassador fishing reel and other prizes come with it.

All Pondmeisters rule.

FatMcB you carry a lot of influence. Have you ever thought of running for office?

I wanted to , but someone informed me that there is NO King of Texas. So I figured, why bother.
AQUAMAN! AQUAMAN! AQUAMAN!

Isn't that how I dressed at the conference last year? No wonder you guys laughed at me. ROFLMAO.
You notice how Aquaman is hiding his beer behind his back with his other hand.
Is that what he's doing?
Isn't that how I dressed at the conference last year? No wonder you guys laughed at me. ROFLMAO.

Actually, your tights at last year's conference were, well, tighter.
But Lusk told me it was a requirement! \:\(
Posted By: Sunil Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/01/08 06:56 PM
Bruce, do you get to fish with Hank or is that another contest?
Actually, I am being judged by Hank at this moment to see if I'm worthy of becoming one of twelve semi-finalists. I've already won a prize package, but now I go in a pool with others like me. It's a tough prize to win.
 Originally Posted By: ewest
Up by 47 - I assume the vote is over or are they counting hanging chads.

\:\) I think we've got the Chad vote locked up.
Bruce -- what's the current status??
I won my category, so I'll get the reel and tackle prize to donate for the auction. Thanks everybody!

Right now Hank Parker is reviewing the five category winners so he can annoint a "monthly winner". This lucky individual will have a one in 12 chance of getting the trip with Hank Parker.
Enterprising, resourceful PB Forum members can up those 1 in 12 odds some. Where does this Parker guy live - you want I should send Uncle Guido Gallus around to discuss your eminant qualifications with Ole Hank?
Won't work. Hank Parker is the Chuck Norris of fishing. Impossible to intimidate. He's probably working on his Karate moves as we speak.
I've heard that "Tough Guy" argument before; Uncle Guido wears 'em down. He can grovel and whine better than anyone.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/02/08 09:05 PM

OK, that got a really good laugh out of me. ;\)
Posted By: Shorty Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/04/08 10:43 PM
Congrats Bruce! I see the February Winner has been finally been posted. \:\)

http://www.berkleybigfish.com/winners.php
woo hooo!!!!! 1 in 12

So you're saying there's a chance......

Posted By: Shorty Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/04/08 10:56 PM
Time to start voting McButterpants for the month of March!
Woo hooo is right!!
I blatantly STOLE the idea from Bruce. I wasnt even very sneaky, just a daylight robbery.
Are you serious? I'd better check to make sure you're not just pullin' my chain.
Thanks everybody. Now I just need some advice on how to coerce Mr. Parker into signing something for the Pond Boss auction. Maybe Mr. Lusk will have some recommendations.
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/05/08 12:33 AM
Trust me Bob has that covered. Talk to him.
You know, I've been trying to contact him for a few days now. I just figured he's on another adventure.

That guy knows how to live.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/05/08 12:59 AM
I told you we could rally, Bruce!

Just explain to Hank that the proceeds are going to SDSU students. He seems like a good guy and a family man, so I'm sure he'd be willing to move a pen around for about 2 seconds in order to help such a cause.
davatsa, you were right on. I had absolutely, completely lost faith. You got me fired up again at the 11th hour.

I just talked with Lusk and he said I should email Hank Parker about signing something for the auction. I will endeavor to do so.

By the way...

Vote here.

http://www.berkleybigfish.com/PhotosMore.php?picID=612

I think that FatMcB should wait until next month, because I think the guy that's in first place is on a mission that can't be stopped. Plus, I have another theory....
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/05/08 01:36 AM
I think you should make up a story and enter that 15lb HSB in next mths competition under the name five o'clock shadow. \:o \:D
Heck, I voted 5 bobbers for FMcB just because he got Larry the Cable Guy to hold his bass for the picture.
You should see cousin eddie...

Are you holding a knife???!!!???????
a RZR...so close
and doesnt my pond look bigger in that pic?
Looks like something you could cut an achilles tendon with.
Cell phone.
Looks like something you could cut an achilles tendon with.

Keep up the smartalec comments and find out!!!
It couldn't have been a knife. Nobody trusts Fatty with sharp instruments.

Posted By: fishraker Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/06/08 10:18 PM
Congradulations to
Bruce. I just got an e-mail from from Berkley saying that Bruce had won for Feburary!
Guys -- I wanted to bring this thread back up to the top. I don't know that I've ever sufficiently acknowledged all the support that good ol' SDSU gets from you folks.

Do you know that the Jesse West Endowment is the only research endowment in our department? That's in a department with 275 undergradate students, 60 graduate students, and well over $1 million in payroll. We have lots of scholarships, but this is the very FIRST research endowment.

I've often wondered "why SDSU?" After all, there are just a "few" \:\) southern schools with interests in pond management and sport fisheries. However, Lusk tells me to just be gracious and accept providence. So, that's what I try to do, and that probably explains my need for posting this message on the Forum!

There are a couple of especially good pieces of news with all of this. First, I get help students. What a pleasure. By association, you all get to help students. That truly is rewarding. Second, I get to work with Bob Lusk, talk to you folks about ponds on the Forum, learn from Cody, Baird, West, Gallus, Condello, Otto, Sunil, etc., etc. (always hate to list names; you always forget someone!). Working with you folks = great FUN! \:\)

So, many thanks to everyone. Take a little piece of this and feel the pride from your involvement.

Now, if we could just get the ice off the ponds and lakes, and get back to fishing!
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/07/08 10:24 PM
The PB tanks at SDSU

The first student research PB helped

You can hear about the results at the 08 PB convention
OK, now I simply must share this story. It's a Pond Boss classic -- things like this just keep happening.

So, 15 minutes after I make my last post (above), and mention Bob Lusk and providence, I get a phone call. It's from a representative of the Boone and Crockett Club, and they are interested in settng up an endowed chair (pays for a professor and research) at SDSU for big game management.

I phoned both Ewest and Bob to give them the story. Ewest was happy for us, but Lusk was not even surprised!

Now, this is not a done deal yet. However, what's the chance that the phone call comes 15 minutes after I'm on the Forum? Say what you want -- this is not a coincidence! \:\)

Dr. Bruce -- this is your thread. What do you say?
This is beyond amazing! Good things come to those who work their butts off. \:\)

Professor and research both? Everybody wins. The University wins. Boone and Crockett wins. The sportsmen and sportswomen win. I just can't wait to see how this plays out. I think that maybe future information should have it's own dedicated thread.

Congratulations SDSU.
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/08/08 03:06 AM
I am honored to know that following PB's lead , B&C knows quality and ability when it sees it. Go Jack Rabbits !!!

Dave, that's great. I'm sure that you are still trying to wrap your head around the enormity of the deal. Think about it. An organization that exists to measure antlers endowing a chair for a place that tries to understand more about growing fish in a place like South Dakota. Like you, I'm amazed. Think about the implications.
Posted By: heybud Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/08/08 01:25 PM
Dave, maybe we can get a scholarship fund started here in this forum for some deserving student. I'm in for a $100 bucks right now if you will post an address for me to send it to. (Moderator is this legal). Anyone else interested?
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 03/08/08 02:27 PM
Heybud and others. A bit of info on what PB is doing at SDSU.

SDSU is IMO the premier University for "APPLIED FISHERIES RESEARCH" . Why is that important to PB and you? First very few schools stress applied fisheries research as most do big eco-system theory research. SDSU does what others don't - they do the meat and potatoes on the water research not all the fancy popular stuff. In short SDSU is out there digging to find the answers to questions private fisheries scientists and pond owners and fishermen are asking to better their on the water situation. Do SMB and WE compete for food and what are the consequences ? Is there a better way to age fish without killing them in the process? BG interactions and reproduction. Hey - that sounds like what PB is all about - again no coincidence there.

The endowment that PB has with SDSU is also very practical and unique . First it has a governing committee that must include a private fisheries biologist (Bob Lusk ) , a private sector fisherman , a fisheries science PhD (Dave) and the Fisheries Dept head (Chuck). It is very flexible but is directed to applied fisheries research and can go where $ are needed as determined by the committee. It specifically allows for helping fisheries students who may need help to attain or achieve their FS degree. If some kid gets in a bind we can help without a bunch of bells and whistles - the quiet approach. No one would know more about what student needed help than Dave. It can buy stuff the FS dept. needs to do research and help students at the same time (see the tanks and PhD student above - they were one deal). You can see the results in the tanks that will be used for years to do research and hear about the SMB/WE research at the 08 PB Convention and meet the real life student who you helped. It is involved in a project as we speak called "Northern Pond" to provide an in-class fish teaching diorama that includes IIRC - YP , SMB , LMB ,BG , WE , pike , PS , and other pond fish and critters (it will look just like a pond) to teach students through the use of real fish. The fish mostly came from PB members' ponds . They can comment about their fish. Cecil is doing the work and you can see it at the PB Convention before it heads home to SDSU. One point to note is that every $ in the endowment goes to accomplish these goals and there is no overhead for fund raising or other expenses. Another Pond Boss outstanding moment that each of you should be proud to have achieved.
Dave D -- you're right on target, as usual. I don't have the "wrap" completed yet. \:\)

I'm also learning more, very quickly, about Boone and Crockett. While their general reputation primarily results from the antler scoring, they initially were started by Teddy Roosevelt as a conservation organization! I didn't know that. The reason they are trying to expand their endowed chair program relates to conservation. They are concerned that so many wildlife and fisheries programs are shrinking as universities move more toward the so-called corporate model, where there is more value in biotechnology than in organismal biology. More big-dollar grants, patentable discoveries, start-up businesses, etc. So, they are trying to help expand wildlife/fisheries programs that still have an applied (hands-on) component to their program. Pretty darn cool. They already have two endowed chairs and are offering this research endowment opportunity to four schools, including SDSU.

Heybud - first and foremost, thank you very much for that gracious offer. Remember that Boss Lusk has been instructing me in the art of being appreciative. Asking for money doesn't come naturally to me, but people are very gracious when it comes to students! I really had to learn that.

Let me make clear that I posted this great news about B&C just to share with my friends on Pond Boss, and because I couldn't believe the timing. I am not here to solicit help on the B&C matching funds. We'll get good help from our Foundation office on campus, and see where things go.

Now, back to your kind offer. You certainly can donate at any time. You can contact me via email or personal message, if you wish. However, you might also consider adding the donation to the Jesse West research endowment at SDSU! I'm sure Ewest would appreciate that. Heck, you could save your money and bring it to the silent auction in July! \:\) We have a reasonable scholarship program in our department -- I think we awarded about 32K this fall (our scholarship banquet is once per year). We have little in the way of research endowment -- as Ewest posted earlier, we'll have Melissa Wuellner come to the July conference and show everyone how she used the Jesse West funds to help her research on walleye and smallmouth bass interactions.

Thanks for your good thought!
Oops! I see that I was working on my response at the same time as Ewest posted. Thanks, Ewest. Pond Boss forum family: doesn't all this have a "family" feel to it?

I CAN'T WAIT to see the diorama that Cecil is doing for us. For forum members who aren't aware, Cecil is a truly gifted taxidermist.
Pondboss. Nothing short of spectacular!
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 08/05/08 09:51 PM

Hank and his crew of BigFish connoisseurs have selected Lewiswmx1 as the July BerkleyBigFish Finalist!

Lewiswmx1 has been a devoted angler on the site for months. A two-time Category Winner for Inshore Saltwater and now a BerkleyBigFish Finalist, he has a 1 in 12 chance to win the grand prize - a fishing trip with Hank Parker, the "Bucketmouth Champion!" Congratulations to Lewiswmx1 and the other July Category Winners listed below.

If you didn't win in July, don't feel left out. Hank and his crew have reset the points, so every angler has an equal shot at the August Abu Garcia® Leader-Board. Remember, there are five BerkleyBigFish Finalists yet to be named and 25 prize packages left to be given away.

The BerkleyBigFish Crew

The BerkleyBigFish Crew wants to take this opportunity to remind our beloved site users that all monthly Category Winners are only eligible to receive the accompanying prize package one time. If a user who has already won a monthly category prize package in any of the fish categories wins a category for a second time, the prize package will be awarded to the 2nd place finisher in that category. In July, category winner and Monthly Finalist "Lewismx1" previously won a prize package so his Bass and Inshore Saltwater prizes were awarded to second place finishers "Nellerefinnej" and "Tufffish." Second place has its advantages after all! Please keep the pictures and stories coming and remember - vote responsibly.
Thanks for that post, ewest.

There's been a tendency in July for some people to put up incredible point totals. There's been an effort by the good folks at Berkley to make sure that everything is on the level. Once I won February I've tried to just be a cheerleader for some of the other great entrants, but I haven't tried to solicit votes since that time.
As all of you know, you helped me win the February category for the Berkley Big Fish contest. I give you all my most humble thanks, and I was happy to be able to donate the winnings to the Jesse West foundation at SDSU.

If any of you still remember your passcodes I think it would be a nice gesture to throw a five bobber rating to this young lady.

http://berkleybigfish.com/PhotosMore.php?picID=2989

It's always nice to support young anglers, and this young lady is an avid fisherman, and a good representative to the sport.

I would also be interested to know what any of you may have for an assessment in regards to me winning the whole thing at the end of the year. There seem to be several really quality pictures and stories to choose from.

You don't have to bother to vote for me, since I've already won a monthly category, but I'll admit that I'm a little excited to see how the final voting goes here in a few weeks.

On the microscopic chance that I'd win, I plan on taking my Dad with me. ;\)
Posted By: ewest Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 12/11/08 02:44 PM
Done. \:\)
I gave you both 5 of 5, Aquaman.

She had an impressive catch, but you tell a better story.
the one photo of redbreast doesnt look like a redbreast. I think it may be a saltwater fish??
Posted By: Rainman Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 12/13/08 02:38 PM
We hope we can help send you on the trip!

Bruce you tell a great story and shamelessly promote Trilene, but she looks a WHOLE lot cuter!

All the pics you both posted got 5 bobbers!
I'll bet I look better in a pink hat. ;\)

In my mind, Ray Scott is probably the most effective promoter that's ever lived. He's simply incredible.

Spending a week with him last fall was a valuable learning experience.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Aquaman needs your vote, (wink, wink) - 12/14/08 12:21 AM
I'll bet I look better in a pink hat. ;\)

Not very likely!
© Pond Boss Forum