Pond Boss
Posted By: Greg Grimes Prayer Request - 02/06/08 01:00 PM
My Dad was diganosied right when Wyatt was born (19 months ago) with lung cancer. He has had a few bumps but done quite well. Since this summer he has had problems with his shoulder and we had to cancel his dream redfish trip. However things have gotten worse he has lost fight with cancer they are now just helping with the pain. He went to the hospital yesterday for blood transfusion due to hard time breathing and spitting up blood. I hope he can leave hospital today with oxygen. It does not seem to be a very longtime left in this world.

I only tell you this b/c I talk more with the PB family than most anyone else. I appreciate your prayers in the past and seek them again. I'm a believer in the power of prayer, that it helps in many ways. Too bad to lose such a outstanding man and fisherman at 59. Thanks so much and I may not get a chance to post for awhile. thanks
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 01:07 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you Greg. I can't even begin to imagine the sadness you must feel.
Posted By: bobad Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 01:28 PM
Greg, you and your dad are in my prayers. I pray that you find the strenegth to comfort your dad and your family through this ordeal.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 01:29 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, Greg. We will be thinking of you and your family up here in PA.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 01:48 PM
May God help you and your family through this difficult time.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 01:56 PM
Greg, I've already started the prayers. I believe in the power of prayer as well because I've seen that power at work.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 02:24 PM
greg, you and family are in our prayers from el dorado.
Posted By: Cary Martin Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 02:41 PM
Greg,

Penny and I have seen first hand the power of prayer. I will add your dad to our church's prayer list tonight. We have been through what you are right now, call if you need ANYTHING.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 02:44 PM
We are a big family here at Pond Boss. In some small way we share in each others triumphs and tragedies. I hope that through prayer and positive thought we can turn this into a story of triumph for your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 02:46 PM
Went through it with my Mom about 4 or 5 years ago. If words would help, you would have them. Prayers you will get.

Call if we can help.
Posted By: george1 Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 03:08 PM
Greg, our prayers are with your father as well as you and your family.
God Bless
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 03:23 PM
Greg, so sorry that you are going thru this. Please keep us informed when you have the time. We are all your friends and
are here for you.
Posted By: overtonfisheries Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 03:36 PM
Greg, we will be thinking about you and your family.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 08:04 PM
We'll be praying for you and your father, Greg.

Remember Romans 8:28.
Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 08:12 PM
Yes, Greg, 59 is much too soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Posted By: Bing Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 09:20 PM
Greg:

You have my sympathies and best wishes. I lost my father when he was 93 (and I was 61). My mother just turned 96.

Fifty-Nine is much too young.

My prayers are with you and your entire family.

Bing
Posted By: TOM G Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 09:42 PM
So sad.All tbe best to you and yours Hope you find the strenght you need to help you through this difficult time.Prayers from central Texas
Posted By: heybud Re: Prayer Request - 02/06/08 10:02 PM
Greg, I lost my dad 30 years ago and he was only 56. I will light a candle for your Dad and add him to my prayer list. Take care my friend and remain strong.
Posted By: SnapperHead Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 12:49 AM
My prayers are with you and your family.

(John 14:27 KJV) Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 02:18 AM
B-ski and D-ski from the windy send out prayers, love, and support.
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 02:45 AM
There are never enough words to comfort or express sympathy. Whether life is long or short, we must look at the happiness that someone brought into our lives.

At 60, it seems to me that 59 is way too young to go. But, I could be ready to go tomorrow. If that should happen, I would hope that my family and friends would gather in happy celebration and remember all the happiness we had together.

Ken
Posted By: tjstubbs Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 04:49 AM
Greg your in my thoughts and prayers up here in SD
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 05:04 AM
Same here Greg. He's in my prayers.
Posted By: BrianShpock Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 05:20 AM
Greg I will pray for your father and the rest of the family, GOD BLESS.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 07:23 AM
I'm alive because of prayer. You and your family are in ours. I pray all goes well.

Rex
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 01:05 PM
You guys are amazing. I'm crying now because no one is around, gotta be strong in front of Dad. I have to show him I will be there for mama and Sis and family.

I wanted to check email before heading back down and saw this. Your prayers have helped me and my Dad. He told me yesterday that he is ready to go. He never went to church much but told me he was saved. Yesterday there was a peace about him I have never seen before. He said only God knows now but he will see him soon. My Mom cried for the first time, she is a tough woman. I was in the room when my Dad told his oldest grandson (about to turn eleven) that he will not be here for him but that the man behind is who he needs to turn to. His Dad does little for him and I was honored to take on that roll. He also said "just remember that I will always be with and to remember me everytime you go fishin'". My Dad made him promise to never smoke and believe me I will remnid him of that if I ever see it happening. His strength was amazing and should have known that, but believe the prayers have helped give him even more stength. He was supposed to go home but things got worse so he is in line for hospice care where my Mama can also spent the night. Thanks again you will never know how much each one of you have helped.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 02:06 PM
I'm shedding some tears myself after reading that, Greg. Thanks for letting us in.
Posted By: BarO Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 02:50 PM
Your Dad made the right choice for his grandson ..... peace and prayers be with you and your family.
Posted By: jsand13 Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 03:14 PM
Im sorry that you are having to go through this my family and I just went through this during the week before christmas, I know it is one of the hardest things in the world to go through. There is really nothing anyone can say or do to make you feel any better about it,but my prayers are with you and your family.
Posted By: deaner Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 03:41 PM
You and your family are in our prayers and thoughts. I have lady down the street that is very prayful and she get results, we will pass this on and ask others for their prayers.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Prayer Request - 02/07/08 05:08 PM
You and your family will remain in our prayers, Greg.

The blessing in the midst of this tragedy is that you know where your dad is going. Let that comfort you even though words can't describe your pain.
Posted By: claybird Re: Prayer Request - 02/08/08 12:33 AM
Greg, 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 is offered along with prayer for you and your family.

As explained in The Life Application Bible: "Many think that when God comforts (consoles) us, our hardships should go away. But if that were always so, people would turn to God only to be relieved of pain and not out of love for him. We must understand that comfort can also mean receiving strength, encouragement, and hope to deal with our hardships. The more we suffer, the more comfort God gives us (1:5). If you are feeling overwhelmed, allow God to comfort you as he can. Remember that every trial you endure will later become an opportunity to minister to other people suffering similar hardships."
Posted By: bz Re: Prayer Request - 02/08/08 03:08 AM
So sorry Greg. My prayers go up for your dad, you, and family. I too have seen the power of prayer, as Claybird says, that doesn't mean we never suffer but it does mean that things will be OK. I lost my dad to smokers cancer at the same age, same story. But he too knew where he was going so I'll see him again. God Bless.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Prayer Request - 02/08/08 06:20 PM
I will be praying for you, your family, and especially your nephew.
When you make it through this time, like claybird stated earlier, "you will be equipped to help others suffering similar hardships"

Hopefully this brings your family closer together, I know by reading this thread, your experience has brought the pond boss family much closer together!
Posted By: ewest Re: Prayer Request - 02/08/08 07:54 PM
Greg I went through the same with both parents. Be assured that all things have a purpose even though we don't understand them at the time. Even though it is a hard road I can tell you that I am a much stronger , compassionate and complete person having experienced the suffering and death of my parents. Cherish the time remaining - live for the day and know that in the fullness of time all things will be as they should be.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Prayer Request - 02/15/08 12:13 PM
Update Dad has beaten the odds so far. They keep uping the meds and the oxygen intake but so far the suffering is less. He sleeps alot but when awake his normal self, cracking jokes with the nurses and visitors. He has had over 75 diff visitors since last week admittance to hospice. Your continued prayers are appreciated. thanks
Posted By: Sunil Re: Prayer Request - 02/15/08 01:22 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated Greg.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Prayer Request - 02/15/08 01:38 PM
Thanks, Greg. The prayers are still coming.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Prayer Request - 02/15/08 10:05 PM
Greg, thanks for the update.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Prayer Request - 03/06/08 03:03 PM
my Dad keeps hangin in there. I got some great news through much prayer my Mama decided to let him come home to pass. She did not want this before. We are trying to get the arrangements made for bed, etc but hope to have him home tommorrow. I think he might be hanging around to pass at home. I was able to tell him Alton Jones won the Classic and he was able to understand what I was talking about. Thanks again for prayers.
Posted By: heybud Re: Prayer Request - 03/06/08 03:30 PM
Hang in there Greg. We continue keep your family in our thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Prayer Request - 03/06/08 04:10 PM
i cant imagine anyone who'd rather die in a hospital than at home given a choice, sounds like you have a strong and loving family, prayers from el dorado for you all.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Prayer Request - 03/06/08 09:28 PM
Prayers are still coming Greg.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Prayer Request - 03/06/08 09:37 PM
We're still praying for you and the rest of the family, Greg.
Posted By: Bing Re: Prayer Request - 03/06/08 10:26 PM
God bless you Greg and your entire family. We all know the past year has been very rough on you and your wife. Our prayers are with all of you.

Psalms 121:1 -- "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help"
Posted By: M Spinhirne Re: Prayer Request - 03/06/08 10:36 PM
Greg,
I will continue to pray for you and your family. My wife lost her mom to lung cancer, so I can empathize with you. Fortunately for her, there was little pain, and in the end she died at home with my wife at her side and all the family there in the house. I couldn't have chosen a better way for my wife to be able to say good-bye.

I pray that when the end finally comes, God allows you the same opportunity.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Prayer Request - 03/07/08 09:26 PM
Well Dad is home, and our favorite nurse from the Hospice is now the visting nurse and he only lives 10 miels away. Your prayers are working. This is wonderful news and will make his passing much easier to handle. Thanks again!
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Prayer Request - 03/07/08 09:31 PM
The prayers will keep coming, Greg. Tell your Dad there's a bunch of pond people who care about him and you.
Posted By: ewest Re: Prayer Request - 03/07/08 10:32 PM
Tell him you love him and that now that you are a dad you understand the remarkable job he did and hope that you can do as well.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Prayer Request - 03/08/08 06:15 PM
Eric thanks I agree. I have had this conversation a few times over the past month. I also told him Bruce folks all around the country are praying for him. It has been great for him I feel to hear this. Also the number of visitors has been great. He does not pickup on much at this point, but I think he realizes he is home. I tell him every time I leave his side b/c not sure it will be the last and he does mouth I love you too.
Posted By: MarkECIN Re: Prayer Request - 03/09/08 12:51 PM
Greg, My thoughts and prayers are with you too. I lost my Dad 10 years ago and two brothers (37 & 50 within 6 months of same time) and it still seems like yesterday; I miss them so. Be strong; be with them as much as you can. Much too young 59.
Posted By: GW Re: Prayer Request - 03/09/08 01:49 PM
I'm remembering my dad and praying for yours Greg.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 01:04 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their prayers. My father had a peaceful passing at 7:15 sat night. Man there are lots of things to do after a death, so been too busy to think about too much at this time. My Mama will be ok I know but she is taking it hard. She lost her best friend she has had since they started dating at 16. Say a prayer for her if you get the chance.

The hardest part was telling my nephew who just turned 11. He lost not only his fishing buddy but the guy who was like a father to him. I’m honored to help out with the situation. Also I helped setup a Melvin Grimes Memorial Fund to benefit his grandkids education. My Dad did not like the idea of flowers. In fact he did not want anything from folks, but that hampers them from getting a blessing, so now any gifts go there. He likd it since it helps them out since he will not be here, pretty cool.

Your kind words and scripture have been very helpful so thank you from the bottom of my heart. Gotta give a talk at memorial tomorrow, so one last time pray for me to get through that and convey how great a man he was.

I’m not very articulate and this may sound strange but looking back the passing was almost joyous. I feel he was pain free. He went instantly from normal breathing to only 7 breaths followed by 20-25 sec pause (nurses said this would happen but wrong not slowly). This gave us notice to call my sis and his brothers to get them there. Then, this only lasted about 1.5 hours so it too was quick.

We were all gathered around him and I was holding his hand. However family wanted some good country cooking (pinto beans, okra, and cornbread, yum), so my aunt brought me some so I could eat by his side. We started talking more about fun times with him when my aunt said he is gone. I turend in time to see his last pulse in his neck. Typical for my Dad not when we were all holding him praying but when no one was watching his every breath and laughing. God made this situation as gracious as anyone could ask and I’m so thankful for that.

Posted By: ewest Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 01:16 PM
Greg -- live strong. Your mom will need some help. You may too. Your dad is there to help -- not like before -- but in your heart , mind and in the sprit. Call on him if you need to - you might be surprised. Mine is still helping - 20 years later.
Posted By: Cary Martin Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 01:28 PM
Greg, Eric is right. I call on my best friend (firefighter) before I enter each fire to be with me. When I am in the middle of the dragon's belly, I feel comfortable knowing that Joe is there with me guiding me to do the right things.

Your dad will be there when you need him the most, or when you feel that you need to talk to him. I can picture you sitting in that deer stand waiting for that big buck and you know that your dad is there with you. Talk to him, he will be there.

Tomorrow is just a short story for eveyone there to learn more about your father. It is not a good bye but an extension of what you all talked about during your supper Saturday night. He will be there at your side listing.

Let me know more about the memorial fund later.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 01:55 PM
Greg, prayers for you and yours are still coming.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 02:29 PM
Your father will always be with you in your memories. The cycle of his passing was one small chapter in his life book that I'm sure is filled with wonder, laughter, friends and family. Focus on all of the wonderful chapters of his life, the fun times you enjoyed, lessons that he taught you, experiences that you shared because that is what his life is about.
Posted By: deaner Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 02:34 PM
Your family is very large along with being very prayful. You and your loved ones are inour prayers.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 03:35 PM
Greg:

When we enter this life, we are crying while those around us are smiling.
If we live our life right, we can leave smiling while those around us are crying.

It sounds like your Dad did it right.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 03:47 PM
Theo, that is great
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 05:08 PM
Your father and your family will continue to be in my prayers.

I don't know if this is a consolation to you or not, Greg, but thanks to your heartfelt descriptions of these last few weeks I've been making an extra special effort to enjoy my own father. I really owe you for that.

Bruce
Posted By: heybud Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 06:03 PM
Greg, My family's prayers for your family and your dad. I'm sure he left you the best gift of all, a lot of great memories. Peace be with you and your family.
Posted By: Jersey Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, Greg. Both of my parents went peacefully, and that is the best we can hope for. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of them. They still help me in everything I do.

I can't stress enough...if you still have your parents, call them. Talk to them at every opportunity. You will be glad you did.
Posted By: Chip Rowland Re: Prayer Request - 03/17/08 11:31 PM
Greg,
Prayers said, may the Lord comfort and keep your family through these times.
Chip
Posted By: Sunil Re: Prayer Request - 03/18/08 12:24 AM
Thanks, Greg, for including us.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Prayer Request - 03/18/08 12:28 AM
Greg,
It will be comforting for Donna and I when we look into the south sky this summer from our porch. We can now confidently say that we know one of those beautiful, twinkling stars. Yep, Greg's Dad made it home.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Prayer Request - 03/18/08 01:36 AM
Greg,

I'm sorry for your loss. If he was anything like the impression I got when I met you he was a good man.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Prayer Request - 03/18/08 02:23 AM
Cecil, I was thinking the same thing and couldn't put it to words.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Prayer Request - 03/18/08 02:23 AM
Greg, prayers for you and your family. Be strong and keep the faith. See you in July at the PB conference.
Randy
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Prayer Request - 03/18/08 02:27 AM
Greg, We should consider ourselves lucky if we get born into a family with a great father. Your family was lucky to have a great father.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Prayer Request - 03/18/08 02:44 AM
 Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Greg, We should consider ourselves lucky if we get born into a family with a great father. Your family was lucky to have a great father.

Good point Bill. There are some real slacker fathers out there. They were good at the reproduction end and that was it.

I even know a few people that don't even talk to their fathers which is sad. I have a sister like that. I don't think she knows what she is missing, and even if she finally realizes it, in a few years it may be too late. What's really unbelieveable is my dad is as good as it gets. He's the most unselfish and hardworking man I have ever known.
Posted By: Dwight Re: Prayer Request - 03/18/08 01:02 PM
Greg, Our thoughts are prayers are with you and your family.

I lost my Dad 10 years ago and I can say from experience that I think about him everyday. Those thoughts are never about the end of his life but about all the things we shared during his life. I learned a lot from my Dad that I use every day. He is always close by me.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Prayer Request - 03/18/08 03:46 PM
Greg, we're still praying for you and yours. Take comfort in knowing that your father is now in a wonderful place and take good care of your mama.
Posted By: Sue Cruz Re: Prayer Request - 03/19/08 02:56 PM
I just want you to know how sorry I am about your father’s passing. I can’t even begin to imagine the pain you and your family have gone through and will continue to feel. Please send me the information to donate to your father’s fund – rather than sending a basket or something, Vertex will make a donation.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Prayer Request - 03/19/08 03:15 PM
Sue thanks I sent you an email. Everyone this is not at all neccesary your words/prayers have helped so much.

Melvin Grimes Memorial Fund (to benefit the education of his Grandchildren)

Cherokee Bank
PO Box 4250
Canton, GA 30114

The memorial went well. Folks said I did a good job of honoring my Father and that meant alot. I kinda lost it a couple of times and left off a few thoughts but glad Mama liked it. I will post my sisters poem here when I get a copy, it was great.

Theo you made the cut. I loved your last post, printed it out and read it, so I will need to get you the rolyality rights, \:\)
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Prayer Request - 04/04/08 12:01 PM
Ok we will closeout this thread, but as promised here is my sisters poem. Thanks again for prayers and thoughts it helped so much.

My Last Expression Of Gratitude
March 9, 2008 - March 18, 2008

Tonight I’m sitting beside your bed, watching as you sleep.
While you lay there peacefully, I can’t help but weep.
From the day of your diagnoses, I have remained in denial.
Convincing myself, you’d be fine, while hiding behind my smile.

Now as the time closes in, the reality becomes crystal clear,
I have to face what is to come and deal with my deepest fear.
The very thought of us parting ways breaks my heart in two.
Living my life without you here is nothing I’m prepared to do.

However, the knowledge you have given me is now my guiding light.
In difficult times I know it will help, when determining what is right.
I thank God, for giving me life, to such a wonderful man.
Your qualities have been passed onto me and will be projected the best I can.

When it comes to taking care of mom and helping your loving wife,
Greg and I will do all we can, to get her through this pain and strife.
On behalf of my two little amazing boys, thank you for memories left behind.
They both can carry happy thoughts of you, with them for a lifetime.

I hope I have, completely expressed, everything I’ve wanted to say.
If I’ve forgotten anything at all, I can tell you on another day.
Daddy I will miss you, along with all the things you do,
Yet, now in heaven, I’m grateful to have, not only one Father but two.

I Love You,
Your Baby Girl

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Prayer Request - 04/04/08 01:47 PM
Dang allergies are making my eyes water.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Prayer Request - 04/04/08 09:19 PM
Yep Dave the red oak pollen got to my eyes when I heard it and again when I posted it here. Just imagine I had to follow this up with my eulogy, still mad at her for making me go after her.
© Pond Boss Forum