Pond Boss
Posted By: Theo Gallus Great Big Grubworm - 10/29/06 12:55 PM
We found three of these insect larvae, far bigger than any Junebug-type grub I have ever seen, yesterday while excavating in preparation for pouring a sidewalk. They were about 1 1/2" long, and were all under the sod in my front yard about 4"-5" down. They were all a little bruised from being scraped out by a trackhoe, but were so tough they all stayed in one piece. My daughter's aquarium BG found this one to be acceptable table fare.

I'm guessing that they're big enough to be Cicada larvae, but I've got no idea what those should look like. Anyone know what they might be when they grow up?

Posted By: ewest Re: Great Big Grubworm - 10/29/06 02:26 PM
Nope but I like your choice of the Texas quarter. Yuk Yuk or was it not subliminal. \:D :p ;\)
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Great Big Grubworm - 10/29/06 03:16 PM
It's gonna be a bug. Actually, I bet it will be a cicadae. That is, if you have them there.
Posted By: bobad Re: Great Big Grubworm - 10/29/06 04:28 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Theo Gallus:
I'm guessing that they're big enough to be Cicada larvae, but I've got no idea what those should look like.
Not a cicada for sure. They have the familiar shells you find on tree trunks and brick walls.

Most likely a one of the large june bugs. There are all sizes of june bugs (speaking generically). Some junebugs are only 1/2" long, and others are nearly an inch long. The grubs are always longer then the mature beetle.

They are great BG bait!
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Great Big Grubworm - 10/29/06 05:58 PM
Agree with bobad. Here in H-town, the small brown beetles whose grubs destroy your yard are called junebugs. Growing up is Miss. there were large green bugs called junebugs. We would tie a long string to a leg and let them fly. Please...PETA folks, no nasty emails. :p
Posted By: bobad Re: Great Big Grubworm - 10/29/06 07:45 PM
 Quote:
Originally posted by burgermeister:
We would tie a long string to a leg and let them fly. Please...PETA folks, no nasty emails. :p
I thought we were the only ones that made little control line models out of junebugs. \:\)

I'm a PETA member in good standing. People for Eating Tasty Animals. \:D
Posted By: FamilyTradition Re: Great Big Grubworm - 10/30/06 01:12 AM
Come on now bohad, everyboby knows junebugs go in the gumbo. \:D
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Great Big Grubworm - 10/30/06 01:56 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by ewest:
Nope but I like your choice of the Texas quarter. Yuk Yuk or was it not subliminal. \:D :p ;\)
It's a Texas-sized grub; I used a Texas quarter. ;\) \:D
© Pond Boss Forum