Pond Boss
Posted By: Funky Golden shiners - 08/17/19 08:31 PM
I have golden shiners, and they are doing well. And they have had spawns, we have little ones. I have seen it mentioned that some add to their golden shiners every two years. Any comments? Should I add some after two years? thanks!
Posted By: anthropic Re: Golden shiners - 08/17/19 09:22 PM
My shiners didn't last, mostly due to lack of pond weeds. But they fed the LMB, so not wasted.

There's a parasite that short circuits their spawning after a few years. At least, that's what I've read.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Golden shiners - 08/17/19 11:03 PM
Do your GSH fry swim in schools of fish? If so, any idea on how many will be in a school? My TFS will be in some nice sized schools but I added a few goldens this past spring and wondering what to look for if they spawned. How would you determine by sight if some of the schools of fry I am seeing might be GSH? A lot of the ones I saw recently were a half inch in size. Acted like TFS where they made ripples on the waters surface. Are the GSH easy to distinguish between them and the TFS?
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Golden shiners - 08/18/19 01:52 AM
Tracy the only time I see shiners is a high water event and they go out the spillway and I catch a few in the overflow pond in minnow traps
Posted By: Funky Re: Golden shiners - 08/18/19 03:41 AM
My pond is all clay, so I have very little clear water. I see the GSH mostly as small (2-3 inch) fish often near the edges of the pond where there is lots of vegetation, they hide in there. As they get a bit bigger they wonder in small groups sometime near the top of the water eating, it looks like rain touching the water, only it is not raining.
I have lots of feeder fish this year, the GSH have spawned a number of times and the BG did well as did the LMB and sadly the CCs as well. I did not think the CC would spawn in a half acre pond, but they found a way and I have good numbers of them, the largest is about 30 inches and 12-13 pounds, but they are fun to catch too and good to eat.
© Pond Boss Forum