Pond Boss
Posted By: Funky algae- northern pond ice green - 10/11/18 01:58 AM
I have noticed the past two winters that the ice on my pond is greenish tinted. My water has never been clearer than 10-12 inches. It is half acre, solid clay pond, five years old. Fish are doing well,(LMB,BG,CC) not sure if I should mess with it. Anyone out there have the same situation?
Posted By: Jeff Calvin Re: algae- northern pond ice green - 10/30/18 04:52 PM
Yes, my pond water is never clear and we can never see any deeper than about 2'. There is always a green tint to our water. The ice does not appear to be green in the Winter though.

My pond is clay bottomed as well. I run aeration continually. The darn Channel Cats keep the water churned up I know. Wish I had never stocked them. I caught some 15-17# weight at 30+ inches this past Summer.

We are located in NE Ohio.
Posted By: Funky Re: algae- northern pond ice green - 11/02/18 01:09 PM
Jeff, I totally agree, I wish I did not put CC in, however I thought they would not reproduce, and they have. Fun catching though!
Posted By: Jeff Calvin Re: algae- northern pond ice green - 11/07/18 05:15 PM
Funky - you got that right! I've hooked up a 'big hog' and handed the rod to my Grandsons on a couple occasions. After the initial look of shock and fright on their face, smiles from ear to ear! They continually talk about it = life long memories. Good times.
© Pond Boss Forum