Pond Boss
Posted By: Theeck Fish Identification Help please - 10/01/17 10:52 PM
I caught this fish in a minnow trap. I am thinking spotfin shiner but don't know. Thanks

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Fish Identification Help please - 10/01/17 11:53 PM
Yes - From just a picture, I would identify it as a spotfin shiner.
Posted By: Theeck Re: Fish Identification Help please - 10/01/17 11:58 PM
Any idea if they can live and reproduce in a small mud-bottomed pond? I noticed schools of these in a local dammed stretch of river. I am thinking about figuring out how to catch a bunch to stock in my pond.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Fish Identification Help please - 10/02/17 12:04 AM
The more cover they have for refuge the better the chance of survival. Survival will be least when LMB are present. 0 Spotfins perform best where yellow perch are the predominant fish. They need proper habitat as spawning places or devices with lots of narrow openings less than 1/4" gap for producing good spawns.
Posted By: Theeck Re: Fish Identification Help please - 10/02/17 12:21 AM
Thanks. I might try it. I have fished most of the bass out and I am trying to establish a minnow population. I put about 8 pounds of golden shiners in but I haven't seen any around. They may still be in there and just not visible. Since I know where I can catch wild spot find, I might try them.
Posted By: ThePondDragon Re: Fish Identification Help please - 10/02/17 02:48 AM
Point of warning, make sure all that you put in is SFS. You don't want any carp sneaking in.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fish Identification Help please - 10/02/17 06:22 PM
See if this helps.

http://www.web1.cnre.vt.edu/efish/families/spotfin2.html
© Pond Boss Forum