Pond Boss
Posted By: mrmallerd Blue Gill & Fatheads - 06/16/17 02:41 PM
At what size will BG feed on FHM I stocked 1000 1" BG & 15 lbs of FHM around the end of April into a 1.5 acre pond. BG are between 3" to 4" FHM have spawned & fry is everywhere. When feeding, I will throw a small beatle spin & the bluegill will grab the tail. Makes me wonder if they are feeding on the smaller FHM.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Blue Gill & Fatheads - 06/16/17 02:58 PM
OH yeah they are... your 4 inch BG will be eating them fry for sure... I have 4 inch BG trying to hit my dragon fly bug all the time on my fly rod and it's a lot bigger than any fathead fry...

RC
Posted By: ewest Re: Blue Gill & Fatheads - 06/16/17 03:33 PM
BG are very much predators. Here is a bit from a previous thread which would apply to FH fry as well.

Of interest were their findings about predation. Predation on larval bluegills was inhibited by
nest-guarding male bluegills. The data implicated juvenile bluegills as the major
predators on bluegill larvae, followed in importance by pumpkinseed. Bluegill (3-12 cm total length) were the most abundant nest predators. Pumpkinseed (7 -11 cm), largemouth bass (4- 5 cm), and whitefin shiners (5-6 cm) also were nest predators.
© Pond Boss Forum