Pond Boss
Posted By: dpwilson Fish ID help! - 04/18/17 07:05 AM
I had a creek back up into a borrow pit that we dug last year. I have found thousands of minnow fish but am having trouble identifying what species it is. I have a few picture but can post more after I check traps again if I need to. Appreciate the help!

Attached picture IMG_1131.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1132.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1133.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1136.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1137.JPG
Attached picture IMG_1138.JPG
Posted By: Ben Adducchio Re: Fish ID help! - 04/18/17 11:29 AM
I believe that is a Bluntnose Minnow but I would wait for confirmation from someone that actually knows.

Reasoning: Snout blunt to rounded, black lateral stripe, appears to have a caudal spot, and forked tail. If I am mistaken on the caudal spot then I change my vote to FHM.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Fish ID help! - 04/18/17 11:51 AM
I'll guess FHM. A closer shot of the mouth would help
Posted By: dpwilson Re: Fish ID help! - 04/18/17 01:15 PM
It just rained this morning so hopefully this afternoon when I get up from working all night , I will try to check my traps and get some closer pics of the fish. I appreciate the help!!! Want them for forage in my pond and you bait but want to make sure I know what fish it before just going hog wild on them.
Posted By: dpwilson Re: Fish ID help! - 04/18/17 01:21 PM
This is a close up for, I will do what I can' this afternoon. So far though the answers ffiven have been answra I wanted to hear so that is good. Thanks again
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Fish ID help! - 04/18/17 03:39 PM
From what I can see, I think fatheads.
Posted By: ewest Re: Fish ID help! - 04/18/17 03:42 PM
See if this helps

http://www.web1.cnre.vt.edu/efish/families/fathead.html

Fathead minnow picture

Posted By: dpwilson Re: Fish ID help! - 04/18/17 09:47 PM
I thought they looked like fatheads myself. But I have never fished with them as big as some of them that I trapped so I wanted to see if anyone else could identify them. I am going with that they are FHM. Just don't want to be mistaken. Thanks
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Fish ID help! - 04/20/17 01:02 PM
Looks like fathead minnows to me.
© Pond Boss Forum