Pond Boss
Posted By: Beretta Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 06/28/15 05:34 PM
Anyone know where I can get some grass shrimp shipped to me in Ky.
I need the ones that can overwinter in Ky ponds.
Thanks
Posted By: Shorty Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 06/28/15 06:09 PM
Fattig Fish Farm

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=416176&page=3

http://fattigfish.com/
Posted By: CMM Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 06/28/15 06:10 PM
Beretta,

Search using Google. pond boss grass shrimp. There is a fairly recent thread that may be helpful.

Cmm
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 06/28/15 06:40 PM
in kentucky do you think you could catch your own?? when I lived in Tennessee they were quite prevalent.

TJ is the pond boss source it seems like. not sure how his assets are doing with shrimp this year
Posted By: Beretta Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 06/28/15 07:31 PM
Thanks for the .com thingy.
As far as I know there are none in central ky. I have never saw or heard of any.
Thanks
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 07/02/15 05:03 AM
If you live near a major river system that is part of the Mississippi drainage, you should be able to capture your own grass shrimp. Using a dip net in heavily vegetated backwaters will turn up grass shrimp.
Posted By: Beretta Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 07/02/15 10:15 PM
That would be the Ohio river.. 3 hour one way for me. I have a order shipping first of the week from fattig
Thanks
Posted By: anthropic Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 09/24/15 04:24 PM

Talked with the nice lady at Fattig's today. Their glass shrimp stock was wiped out when pond flooded and LMB got in there. She's not sure when and if she'll have them again, it is a pretty tough situation.
TJ, you worked to help her get back on her feet again last time. She has been great to me and others to provide these useful critters. Is there some way we can help her?

If she needs us to send some shrimp back I'm sure many of us could do that. Bobby from Florida and many of us with northern ponds have large quantities if she just needs some brood stock?
I'll call her, but frankly last time we spoke she sounded as though she was pretty defeated due to the issues from flooding. She would likely have to drain her cells, if that's even possible, and start all over again. She's in her 50s and works it all solo, which is hard to imagine as I'm experienced with running a very very small hatchery - working solo is almost impossible.
Posted By: RER Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 09/24/15 09:03 PM
I can send you all you want but im pretty sure mine are Palaemonetes paludosus. They might have a shot to survive kentucky winter? Im just not sure.
Posted By: FINnFUR Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 09/24/15 11:56 PM
Thats a real shame - she was so great to work with and the new way she shipped got them hear alive during warm weather. I wish her luck.
FINnFUR, what was the new way she shipped them? Maybe one of us can adopt that and help ship some if they are really needed? Do you remember how many she shipped at a time? Certainly you can't count them very easily....
Anyone who wants to drive here I will try to help - Fall is a great time to collect. My fee consists of a IPA 6er, more obscure the brewery the better, and something with a fuse that goes boom.
Posted By: FINnFUR Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 09/25/15 10:16 AM
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
FINnFUR, what was the new way she shipped them? Maybe one of us can adopt that and help ship some if they are really needed? Do you remember how many she shipped at a time? Certainly you can't count them very easily....

I am sure some fish experts will know the name.
She was using a plastic bag that breathed air but not let water out - she also put a small cool pack in box with paper for insulation to start the journey if I remember correctly.
Mail was just priority which made the whole thing reasonably priced.
Posted By: FINnFUR Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 09/25/15 10:25 AM
Just checked my old emails - heres my note to carol on shrimp arrival [6/15]
"All arrived this AM - did not check individually but only one appeared DOA
and there was one bonus 1/4” crayfish hitchhiker.
They have been acclimated and are now free to do their thing.
Thanks for the great service .
Packing was great and water temp was at 75 when they arrived - coolpack
was still cool to the touch.
Good job and thanks again."
This is her reply
"So great to hear !! I have just begun using the Kordon bags for shrimp, and so far it has been working great. Sorry for the hitchhiker - i put in some duckweed for shrimp to cling to during shipment, and he must have been hidden ."
That should answer the question how to ship.
Posted By: RER Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 09/25/15 12:34 PM
I have tested the kordon bags with fish and I was amazed how well they worked.
Posted By: J Hooey Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/17/15 02:35 PM
I am
Sure Fattig no
Longer sells them... So was there any alternative producer out there ?
Posted By: RAH Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/18/15 12:25 AM
The ones that I bought from PetsMart all died in the fish tank.
I might have a source but they are pricier at .75 ea
Posted By: RAH Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/18/15 09:57 AM
Please let me know the source too.
Posted By: tubguy Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/18/15 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: J Hooey
I am
Sure Fattig no
Longer sells them... So was there any alternative producer out there ?

Is it extremely hard to raise grass shrimp in quantity or is it not profitable?How large of a tank or pond would be required to grow grass shrimp.I have been doing some searching online and have found very little info on raising them.Could they be raised in raised tanks in a greenhouse.Would they require a green water system?What kind of temperature range will they tolerate?
I know I have asked a lot of questions but I also know very little about aquaponics.I do have a 12ft Intex 1700 gallon pool new in the box,an old block farm shop,and two boys who would like to make some money!
Posted By: RER Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/19/15 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: RAH
The ones that I bought from PetsMart all died in the fish tank.

what did they die from, lack of filtration water quality...

or water temp?
Posted By: RAH Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/19/15 07:21 PM
I do not know what killed them. They had plants, water was clear, and they were fed algae and shrimp pellets. Small minnows are now doing fine. The tank was unheated, but stayed in the 60s. Took quite a while to dye off.
Posted By: RAH Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/19/15 11:55 PM
Spoke too soon. At least one shrimp seems to still be alive.
Posted By: RAH Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/21/15 01:26 PM
TeeJaeh - Any word on the alternate source of shrimp?
Posted By: RAH Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/28/15 12:20 PM
Would PK shrimp thrive in an emergent wetland where the deepest water level fluctuates between 3 feet and 18 inches? The only fish are small minnows (species unknown).
tubguy,
I think it would be pretty easy to raise them but i have no experience. I just know that in my pond with no manipulation of my own, hungry predators and almost zero cover they have thrived. I don't have highly controlled water quality or algae blooms or any of the 'proper' conditions, just rain water and street run off going into a hole in the ground. I have thousands of them, and I only put in like 100.

My bet is that since they survive in a wide temperature range that if you started with some PK shrimp and put them in a intex pool with some rocks to attract a little algae, perhaps a little starter culture of some 'green water' from a local pond, and some way to add a little aeration they would do fine. They like to hide under leaves and in vegetation but in my pond they just scuttle around on the clay bottom.

If I had a way to net them out more effectively I'd bring some in this winter and see what they did in my basement over winter. In warmer water conditions I see them in the shallows, often I see them better at night with a flashlight. Now the water is cold enough to produce tilapia floaters and I don't see them anymore.
Posted By: RAH Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/28/15 01:38 PM
If I had a starter source and a partner to handle the permits and business aspects, I would probably build a pond for some and raise them for sale. We (my wife and I) are good growers, but only barely mediocre business people.
Friend has them, is not sure he wants to hassle with shipping as he has no knowledge/experience, and wants $.75 ea. I imagine I'll end up getting roped into helping, and I don't really have the time or fortitude for getting involved with shipping live animals, permits, etc.

If there's a serious call for shrimp at this price, I will let him know and see where he takes it. Lots of research involved with shipping, packaging, freight costs, etc. Not something I want to get involved with, but also want to help those who need it.

Wish folks were closer - I would be happy to provide some brood shrimp for my PB family!
Posted By: tubguy Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/28/15 05:36 PM
Thanks for the reply Canyon.I think there is some demand for PK shrimp.I may try to raise a few next spring.It sounds like the hard part would be getting permits,shipping, and producing enough to justify the startup costs.At the very least I could get them established in my pond and maybe sell a few locally.
Posted By: RAH Re: Anyone know a source for grass shrimp? - 10/28/15 06:07 PM
Please let me know if you do get some to sell. Are you willing to let us know what town you are near?
© Pond Boss Forum